Clocking Instantaneous Velocity

IceSpeed2

Guru
Is there a resource that contains sprinter's top
speeds reached during an event. Like how many mphs they peaked
at? When sprinter's reach top speeds are high, but they
have poor overall times, it indicates that they have technique
trouble. Such a resource could help see who has potential.

SteveB

Mentor
Good point. I haven't been around sprint coaching since the 1980's, so I am not familiar with the technology that exists today to help coaching. In bicycling, Lance Armstrong uses a device on his bike that measures pedal cadence, speed, power, acceleration, etc. After a training run he can download the info to his computer and e-mail it to his coach to get analyzed. From there they can determine his weaknesses and adjust his training and diet accordingly. I could see where similar technology could be used in sprinting to help an athlete to focus training to strenghten their weaknesses.

JD074

Master
That's what I was thinking about after I saw some of Stamer's races. His start is bad but his "top speed" seems really good to the naked eye. An actual measurement would obviously clear it up. Simply timing different sections of the race would be very helpful. The first half and the second half of a race would be an obvious one. For Stamer clocking the first 5-10 meters (or even less,) measure that against his competition, and then the rest of the race, and see how that stacks up as well, would be very enlightening. Hopefully somebody will think to do this if it hasn't been done yet.