Christophe Lemaitre "White Lightning" 9.92 and 19.80!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Lemaitre following his 3rd place at the French Championships:

"I did as usual from the beginning of the season, now I am unable to run at my best.""I'm obviously disappointed, despite the lack of preparation and physical problems."

It's a bit contradictory to say he prepared as usual, but was disappointed despite the lack of preparation. So I'm not sure what to believe.
Let's hope he can try to salvage the outdoor season.

elispeedster

Mentor

"I did as usual from the beginning of the season, now I am unable to run at my best.""I'm obviously disappointed, despite the lack of preparation and physical problems."

It's a bit contradictory to say he prepared as usual, but was disappointed despite the lack of preparation. So I'm not sure what to believe.

Right on Jack. He states he did 'everything as usual.'..that is the problem! He should not be doing everything as usual because it is not working! He needs a new direction - coach, trainer, location etc..

LOL! You are not thinking through...

Of course 10-20 meters is not a race, but like I said - build the sprinter from start to finish.

Heavy Weight Body building training alone will not help elasticity - I agree, but when one has lots of it nautrually - returning it to norm with added power will produce faster times. Chrisotphes traning should be developng absolute strenght/power with limited body weight gain (explosive heavy lifting High sets/low reps 1-3 range). This type of training is a long term process that Carraz should of introduced to him, 2 years ago.

He needs to train the hip thrust, build power in his shoulder/upper back area. He needs to visit Joe Defranco's training in New Jersey or West Side Barbell n Ohio. They will build him power. Take that power and train it to be fast and elastic by doing sprints and plyometrics in addition Chrisophe has tons of it naturally (he will not lose the elasticity if trained and maintained properly), this is where I believe his coaches are failing him. It is ABC in Athletic training. I have seen it and experienced it first hand. I know what Im talking about. And Im not as Childish or Arrogant as RCSMAN claims.

Christophe is entitled to be the European Record holder in the 100 and 200 and one of the top 5 sprinters ever. Its his birthright, he was born with it, but he is being grossly mismanaged!

It doesn't matter how 'naturally' elastic Lemaitre is, he would lose it all employing a heavy weight program (stiffness). Carl Lewis was the prime example of this (ran slower when Tom Tellez introduced weights into his program at the backend of his career).

It's a known fact that the elasticity of muscles & tendons diminishes massively (regardless of who it is) when lifting weights. Shinkage of the collagen is a secondary limit on muscular elasticity. So, the price of high muscle tone/strength is shorter, tighter muscles. Shorter, tighter muscles produce less force. Far MORE damaging, shorter, tighter tendons produce less energy (elastic stretch/recoil).

Lemaitre would have to sacrifice his top end (elastic elements). His 60-100m stint would increase.

And let me just assure you of one thing, Joe Defranco's training gym in New Jersey or West Side Barbell in Ohio aren't ever gonna produce any World class sprinters, lol.

Last edited:

elispeedster

Mentor
It doesn't matter how 'naturally' elastic Lemaitre is, he would lose it all employing a heavy weight program (stiffness). Carl Lewis was the prime example of this (ran slower when Tom Tellez introduced weights into his program at the backend of his career).

It's a known fact that the elasticity of muscles & tendons diminishes massively (regardless of who it is) when lifting weights. Shinkage of the collagen is a secondary limit on muscular elasticity. So, the price of high muscle tone/strength is shorter, tighter muscles. Shorter, tighter muscles produce less force. Far MORE damaging, shorter, tighter tendons produce less energy (elastic stretch/recoil).

Lemaitre would have to sacrifice his top end (elastic elements). His 60-100m stint would increase.

And let me just assure you of one thing, Joe Defranco's training gym in New Jersey or West Side Barbell in Ohio aren't ever gonna produce any World class sprinters, lol.

Even without weight training Carl Lewis would out lift Lemaitre. And I believe Lewis ran his better times in the 100 and long jump at a later age around 28-30 years old.

Leamitre is not strong at all, never was, and this was confirmed. The weights he used is less than what the female athletes were. 99.9% of sprinters lift heavy to develop power and almost always run faster times.

Italy's Michael Tumi recently ran 6.51 in the 60. Looking at his body type an judging by his thighs, shoulders and trap muscles - he is doing a lot of explosive olympic style weight training. Now, Tumi does not have the top end speed like Lemaitre, but imagine Lemaitre with that kind of power combined with his top end speed...BUILD ALL QUALITIES OF A SPRINTER. You have this old fashioned thinking that one cant complement the other. How old are you sir?

The two gyms mentioned woud build Lemaitre's power and strength and improve his start out of the blocks and help him hit top speed at 40-50 meters rather 60 meters in a 100 sprint. They are known to help collegiate football players get ready for the combines. Lemaitre is regressing because, like you, his coaches know nothing about true speed development and working on Lemaitre's weaknesses. He wil never lose his natural elasticity if his training is properly monitored - stretching, plyometrics etc...Its a long term process that should of started 2 years ago.

PS: Do you think sprinters who take ped's take it to be faster? They take it to be stronger. Taking ped's without strenght training has no benefit. The strength developed carries over to speed when trained properly. Ben Johnson was a 600 pound squatter at his peak and ran his fast times. When he got busted and got off the ped's, and his strenght diminsihed, he couldn't crack 10.3. Lemaitre does not need to squat 600 pounds but he should, like any elite athlete, be able to move double his body weight (deadlift/squat). This is where he is severely lacking and what is holding him back, especially at the start.

Last edited:

RCSMAN

Mentor

Christophe was lacking energy for the season indoor because of the pneumonia

greyghost

Mentor
doping

all the lifting examples were guys who were doping their eyeballs out and neither johnson or lewis had the top end speed of lemaitre ... one doesnt need heavy heavy weights , it effects body weight and top end speed .... pylometrics..bounding and box jumps and repetitions in the blocks build strength for starts . repetition and repetition is the absolute caveat when it comes to block starting ( read up on the training armin hary did !!!!!) . note sprinters are athletes not body builders ,power lifters or olympic lifters , there is an over rated cross over between , lifting and sprinting , this knowledge is out there quite a while !!!!..................................................................note also tumi is a one trick pony over 60 meters ( i query that he is clean !!!) .....:behindsofa:

greyghost

Mentor
note .

actual track sessions are what its all about .. weights are secondary and complimentary too track sessions , its the way its been all along .... hills blockstarts , plyometrics etc all in quality training groups ....thats where lemaitre is suffering he needs a quality training group ...nothing like real competition in training to force guys to work harder .....read clyde hart, bud winters both absolute track ( athletics ) legends ...nothing they did with athletes related to weights . all track strength was made on the track /grass/ hills within quality training groups :couch2:

trackster

Mentor
I'm kind of with grey ghost on this. I'm sure that weights help a little, but I believe that steroids-induced muscle gains have created the illusion that weights are more important than they actually are. I mean this especially in regards to the upper body. Huge biceps do absolutely nothing to make a runner faster. Nothing. If anything, they slow a runner down by forcing him to carry more weight. Nevertheless, most top sprinters have huge biceps because of the heavy doses of roids.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I'm kind of with grey ghost on this. I'm sure that weights help a little, but I believe that steroids-induced muscle gains have created the illusion that weights are more important than they actually are. I mean this especially in regards to the upper body. Huge biceps do absolutely nothing to make a runner faster. Nothing. If anything, they slow a runner down by forcing him to carry more weight. Nevertheless, most top sprinters have huge biceps because of the heavy doses of roids.

You can't just take peds and grow huge biceps. That comes from strength training. They basically allow you to work out harder and longer and recover faster. Christophe is not going to get some huge bodybuilder physique with weight training. And I do remember something that says arms do affect running and that the stronger they are the better.

white is right

Hall of Famer
You can't just take peds and grow huge biceps. That comes from strength training. They basically allow you to work out harder and longer and recover faster. Christophe is not going to get some huge bodybuilder physique with weight training. And I do remember something that says arms do affect running and that the stronger they are the better.
I think his needs a build that is conducive to what event he his going to specialize in. If he is going to be a 100 meter guy who dabbles in the 200 he needs to get stronger and add some bulk. If he is going to be a 200 guy who dabbles in the 100 then he needs to add some strength with minimal bulk. At the moment it looks like the latter is the better scenario for him.

greyghost

Mentor
interesting views

interesting views guys .. also like said , bud winters what a legend and the grandaddy of modern coaching methodology :shy:and also what clyde hart did with jeremy wariner ................................................................nb wariner has a pb of 20.19 over 200 back in 2006 and he did not focus on 200....... training all on the back of natural ability and 400meter training ... i really hope wariner comes back this year .....guys i think brady gehret has such wonderful raw ability and i hope he makes it back to the track ... and guys props to barrett nugent for performing solidly as a pro ...he will get better :shy::shy::shy::shy::shy::shy:

greyghost

Mentor
arm speed

arm speed helps ...strong arms ! not big arms !! .....arm speed has to be , if possible slightly quicker then leg speed ............ a really good example is paul hession 2007/8 ...try it your selves guys . sprint for 50 meters , then go back and try to move your arms quicker ....sprinting is full body head to toes !!!!!

RCSMAN

Mentor
ABOUT CHRISTOPHE :

He suffers from an enormous blood deficiency, where from his lack of explodability ", reveals his coach Pierre Carraz !!!

elispeedster

Mentor
ABOUT CHRISTOPHE :

He suffers from an enormous blood deficiency, where from his lack of explodability ", reveals his coach Pierre Carraz !!!

In all seriousness, why is Christophe always getting sick? It seems every year he has a pneumonia.... and this blood deficiency is disheartening to hear, not for his track running but for his personal health.
I pray it is nothing serious as christophe is an amazing talent and a good person.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wonder if anything can be done to correct it. I sure hope so. He for one needs to eat healthier. It's bad enough for an average adult to eat poorly but it is almost unheard of for an elite athlete like him. Whether or not he likes fruits & vegtables, he needs to eat them. Vitamins and supplements can only get you so far. You stll get more nutrients from the food source directly. I hope they can get him feeling better soon and back on track for the summer season. I'm sure they will. It's just hard being patient.

A more recent one : (my rough translation)

François Pépin, former coach of the French national 100m team

: "How can you talk about a bad happening? This is only a stage, Christophe is recovering. No athlete in the world can be st 100% for over three years without a loss of form. Do not say whatever without thinking. "

Christophe:
"I still have a vitamin C deficiency, blood tests are not good. It is all related. If I'm not in shape at the beginning of the summer season, yes, it will worry. "

Last edited:
It is not an error, it is the consequence of its pneumonia!

It is difficult to detect.

Yourself are perhaps in deficiency of vitamin C without knowing it!

Pneumonia is an inflammatory condition of the lung—affecting primarily the microscopic air sacs known as alveoli.[1][2] It is usually caused by infection with viruses or bacteria and less commonly other microorganisms, certain drugs and other conditions such as autoimmune diseases.[1][3]

No excuses really.

Obviously dietary related. Pretty much all autoimmune diseases are.

If you ain't getting the diet right, forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.