Chris Berman’s 30th Year

SoberWF

I read this article this morning regarding Chris Berman hitting his 30th anniverssary as a sportscaster and the significance he his reported to have had on Sports Broadcasting. I would argue, after reading these forums the past few months, that perhaps his significance is not as much as it could have been since his 30 years spans the exact time the caste system came into being. He could have done much to try to dispel it, but perhaps he should be more credited with perpetuating it. That would have been a more intersting article than the fluff piece reported this morning below.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jc3q-GCwIm HYH8fDGoJ8pgBsTmeQD959LUPG0

<div id="hn-article" ="g-unit hn-copy"><h1>Broadcaster Chris Berman enters 30th year at ESPN</h1>
By PAT EATON-ROBB - 1 day ago</span>

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP)  The highlights this time accompany what's
known as "The Greatest Game Ever Played"  the 1958 NFL championship
between the Colts and the Giants.

The narration for the ESPN
special on the 50th anniversary is typical Chris Berman, enthusiastic
but not reverential, full of the shtick that has made him famous,
complete with "rumbles, stumbles, bumbles and in this case, fumbles!"

He's made his career this way  being respectful of the sports he covers but having fun with them, too.

Hired
by ESPN nearly 30 years ago from his job anchoring weekend sports on
local television, Berman has helped change how sports fans get their
news and how sportscasters approach their work.

"He created an
overall perspective that many others covering sports at that time did
not, of keeping it light," said Malcolm Moran, director of the Center
for Sports Journalism at Penn State. "It's not war, it's a game. He
maintains a tricky balance of keeping his shows informative, without
taking himself too seriously, and that can't be easy to do."

Berman
was hired in 1979, just weeks after ESPN went on the air, to anchor the
2 a.m. "SportsCenter" program. But he made his mark handling the NFL,
where he's covered the draft since 1981 and started hosting "NFL
Gameday," ESPN's pregame show, in 1985. At 23 consecutive years, Berman
is television's most tenured pregame football show host, besting Brent
Musburger's streak of 15 years from 1975 to 1989.

Berman got his
biggest break in 1987, when ESPN won rights to broadcast a Sunday night
football game and exclusive extended highlights of the afternoon
contests. Berman and former Denver Broncos linebacker Tom Jackson were
named to host the 60-minute "NFL Primetime," which quickly became the
crown jewel of ESPN's football coverage.

Viewers tuned in for Berman's humor and antics as much as for Jackson's analysis.

Berman
calls players by wacky nicknames (Curtis "My Favorite" Martin), wears a
genie headdress to predict games as "the Swami" and famously imitates
Howard Cosell's exaggerated touchdown call ("He could .. go ... all ...
the ... waaaaay!"). He readily acknowledges that he's part
sportscaster, part entertainer.

"Just don't call me a
personality," he said. "What is that? That's a morning disc jockey. I
entertain, but I take what I do, the journalism part, seriously.
Sportscaster, that's fine. That encompasses all of that."

ESPN considers him to be more than that.

"He is our most important person," said Norby Williamson, ESPN's vice president of production. "He is the face of ESPN."

Berman's
career coincides with an unprecedented growth in the NFL's popularity,
and some credit Berman with at least part of that success. Others
accuse him of being more style than substance; a master of
self-promotion.

"He could have become the sage voice at ESPN by
now, a voice of maturity, credibility and wisdom," New York Post
columnist Phil Mushnick said. "Instead, he's the voice that does the
imitation of Chris Berman. He's the head clown in the circus over
there."

Former ESPN ombudsman George Solomon said it's not that simple.

"When
you are that big, and you're that important, it's difficult," said
Solomon, former sports editor at the Washington Post and now a faculty
member at the University of Maryland. "You tend to lose your role. He
wants to be a journalist. He could be a journalist, but at this stage
of his career, its not as easy. But he's certainly a major force in
television sports."

ESPN dropped "NFL Primetime" in 2005 when it
won rights to Monday Night Football. NBC, which now airs the league's
Sunday night name, carries the NFL's extended highlights on its
"Football Night in America" program hosted by an all-star team of Bob
Costas, Chris Collinsworth and former ESPN "SportsCenter" anchors Dan
Patrick and Keith Olbermann.

Berman and Jackson still work ESPN's
Sunday afternoon preview show, and Berman hosts a short highlight
package that runs during "SportsCenter" on Sunday nights.

"We
miss that ("NFL Primetime") more than anything we've ever done," said
Jackson. "That was his baby, and mine as well, and we miss it."

During
football season, Berman says he works the phones like any journalist,
calling coaches and team sources to get tips on who's playing and what
viewers should expect at kickoff.

"He's one of those guys who can
talk to anybody," said Eagles coach Andy Reid. "He can talk to the
president of the United States, he can talk to a football coach."

"He'll
ask how (quarterback) Donovan (McNabb)'s feeling. He's been around me
and Mike (Holmgren) long enough to know what plays you have in, he's
seen it enough."

Though he still covers some other big events â€â€
opening day of the baseball season, the Home Run Derby, the World
Series, and golf's U.S. Open  Berman said he is happy to be known as
the face of the network's NFL coverage.

Berman's children are now
grown, and he says he doesn't see himself still at the network when
he's 65 years old, or even 60. His contract expires on his 55th
birthday. He won't say how much he makes, or whether he wants a new
deal.

But at 53, describing action as "rumbling, stumbling, bumbling" still feels right.

"It's
kind of fun having been one of 80 (ESPN employees) in the beginning and
now there are what, 5,000 or whatever the number is," Berman said. "We
all have our little hand in the cornerstone, and I kind of like that."

Associated Press writer Randy Pennell in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

</div>

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I can't stand Berman when he has anything to do with baseball because of his obnoxious habit of using his stupid player nicknames all the time.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Berman's pro-Caste all the way, reverential toward all the right "issues" such as black coaches and QBs, always very careful, even with all his shtick, not to say anything un-PC or that could in any way be interpreted as "insensitive" to blacks or his many fellow black employees on the shows he does.

He's entertaining but a bit over the top for baseball and golf, two sports he likes to dabble in. My guess is that, like so many of his tribe, his politics are extremely liberal without deviation.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I'm sure he's the type of liberal who sings the praises of all non-white minorities but would never in his wildest dreams live among them in their neighborhood or associate with their masses.

He's strictly a Starbucks/Whole Foods/New Yorker Magazine liberal.

He should wear a clown suit when he talks, too.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The absolute ONLY positive, non-caste thing I've ever observed about this sissy little jew-clown is his then loyalty to the very white (early 1990's) Buffalo Bills team during the Marv Levy, Jim Kelly era. He's an unfunny wimp who sniffs jocks with the best of the ESPN caste all-stars (Rich Eisen, Dan Patrick, Mike Greenberg, Stuart Scott).

SoberWF, I like your screen name, a play on the CF "Drunk White Fan." Nice post, dude, welcome to CF!

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
And the only reason Berman was "loyal" to the Bills at the time was because the head coach was Jewish, Marvin Levy.

SoberWF

Thrashen, thank you for the nice welcome. I became became familiar and interested in this site in the hopes it can garner enough change in time for my young boys to benefit from it. They (13 and 11) are starting to flourish in their respective sports, and I simply want them to receive a fair shot (in whatever they do) down the road. I believe the best players for any team should be on the field, and performance, work ethic, and attitude are what define those measurables- not their complexion or ethnicity. Regards, to you all, and Happy New Year.

Europe

Mentor
Berman is one of the worst on TV. I can't stand his voice and yelling. ESPN ruins every game with that stupid scroll on the bottom of the screen. Can we ever watch a game without writing all over the screen?Just flash the score and time occasionally. Also, get rid of the ESPN, NBC, CBS etc logo on the screen. During a play there should be nothing on the screen.

If you have ever watched SKY Sports News, it is much better. No yelling, hype or teasing. Sportscenter is just like Entertainment Tonight or local newswith their constant teasing about what is coming up.

Espn always has some agenda--black coaches,college football playoff to name a few.

foobar75

Master
I have mixed views about Chris Berman. Personally, I've never heard him denigrate a white player or use the usual caste references during this many years doing the Sunday highlight show with Tom Jackson. (used to be NFL Primetime, now it's called the Blitz). There's usually some humor in his delivery, most of his nicknames are funny, with some good observations on each game. There are far worse members of the caste media than Berman on the NFL Network, ESPN, CBS, Fox, and NBC, in my opinion.

My main problem is that as one of the most powerful men in sports, he could really help breakdown a lot of the caste stereotypes in football if he wanted to do. But he chooses to stay silent and take a totally neutral stance on such issues, and that's unfortunate. And I've also seen him be extremely careful when it comes to cricitizing black players, when it's totally deserved.

But as I said, unlike some other clowns who are very quick to jump on white players even on the tiniest of errors, I haven't heard that from him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
foobar75 said:
I have mixed views about Chris Berman. Personally, I've never heard him denigrate a white player or use the usual caste references during this many years doing the Sunday highlight show with Tom Jackson. (used to be NFL Primetime, now it's called the Blitz). There's usually some humor in his delivery, most of his nicknames are funny, with some good observations on each game. There are far worse members of the caste media than Berman on the NFL Network, ESPN, CBS, Fox, and NBC, in my opinion.

My main problem is that as one of the most powerful men in sports, he could really help breakdown a lot of the caste stereotypes in football if he wanted to do. But he chooses to stay silent and take a totally neutral stance on such issues, and that's unfortunate. And I've also seen him be extremely careful when it comes to cricitizing black players, when it's totally deserved.

But as I said, unlike some other clowns who are very quick to jump on white players even on the tiniest of errors, I haven't heard that from him.

Berman isn't going to be castigating white players much because he's showing highlights and few lowlights. Most of the lowlights are bonehead plays and we know who commits most of those.

Much of the pro-Caste bias is in the highlights selected and not selected. A good example is Peyton Hillis's first two games as the starting runner for Denver. He made quite a few plays worthy of highlight reels, but both they and his overall performance were studiously ignored. The sameis the case with standout games by white receivers. Sometimes they will show a highlight, but it is done so matter of factly and without "Boomer's" trademark delivery and elaboration.

There'sracial dynamicsinvolved even in how enthusiastically or unenthusiastically a player's name is invoked and what is said or not said about him. Putting together a highlight show is as filled with subtle and blatant Caste-ese as the way most announcers call games.

SoberWF

So true. I was off and on watching the Buc/Raider game yesterday, when my son screamed out about the great pick by Piscitelli while I was out of the room. I didn't catch the replay in time, so I looked for it on the highlight reel on nfl.com. The game critical pick was only mentioned by Rich Eisen. The pick lead to a score, but I guess the interception didn't warrant a second look on the highlight reel.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Berman's definitely pro-caste, but not as bad as the other ESPN turds like Stephen "Smiff", jewess Linda Cohn & that blathering idiot Stuart Scott.

whiteCB

Master
I miss Keith Olberman. I thought he was alright. I'll give Berman credit he does come up with some funny nicknames like "Well Dressed" Amani Toomer and Joseph "Live or Let' Addi. He loved the great Buffalo Bills teams of the early 1990s but that's probably because of Marv Levy's ethnicity. Berman though did seem to shy a little away from picking out a white gut to give a cool nick name to and compliment.

Oh and welcome to the board SoberWF. Great name, very funny. You seem like a intelligent and reasonable guy. I totally agree about one day having kids and they get treated fairly, and not based on race.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"Berman's definitely pro-caste, but not as bad as the other ESPN turds like Stephen "Smiff", jewess Linda Cohn & that blathering idiot Stuart Scott."

I recently had the displeasure of watching Stuart Scott as a guest host for "America's Funniest Home Videos - Sports Edition." Throughout the show (which I normally love), Scott made several caste / anti-whtie comments. Now keep in mind, this is a family show...

Comment #1:
[Two white guys playing basketball in a wooded area]

Scott says in a 'redneck' accent: "Duh, I didnt know they had basketball in Appalacia, duh!"

Comment #2:
[Scott is about to introduce golf clips]

Scott says: "If Tiger isnt playing, nobody will watch golf, blah blah blah"

Comment #3:
[Scott is talking while a golf cart is weaving out of control at a golf course]

Scott says: "Golf and beer, a hick's dream!"

Comment #4:
[Before introducing a hockey highlight reel]

Scott says: "Nobody is watching the guys in these next clips playing hockey.....so basically, it's no different from the NHL!" (Obviously implying that nobody cares about hockey).

Comment #5:
[Before showing clips of fat, unathletic white males hurting themselves in various sports]

Scott says: "You know, at ESPN, I get to watch the most amazing professional athletes in the world...these guys arent even competent!"

So, I one hour, Scott used a racial slur (hick), insulted an all-white sport (hockey), and said that golf doesnt matter if Tiger (the only asian/black player) isnt playing. Who knows if this cross-eyed, ebonics-talking turd wrote the script...but he seemed giddy as a woman to deliver the evil message. I'm shocked he didnt use the standard "white men can't jump" during the basketball clips. God, I could dunk in 9th grade (and I'm 6-3), it means nothing.

Stuart Scott has been a caste king for a decade, complete with ebonics-laden delivery. It's sinful that caste-jargon is even being perpetuated on family shows that kids of all ages watch. They're trying to start preaching to younger and younger age groups.Edited by: Thrashen

bigunreal

Mentor
While Berman's voice is incredibly grating, with his Cosell impersonation especially irritating, I actually find him less objectionable than most of the other ESPN jock sniffers. That's more an indictment of the newer breed of ESPN talking head (Scott, Anderson, Van Pelt, etc.) than it is an endorsement of Berman.

I liken Berman to Larry King. While odious in appearance and with a voice only slightly more pleasing than Baba Wawa's, King lobs softball questions at all his guests. He sets out to offend no one, unlike his peers who mimic the style of Keith Olbermann, who was the first truly intolerable Sports Center host, with his thoroughly transparent leftist bias and his lame, wannabe comedian act. Berman, much like King, attempts to please everyone. He is definitely not as likely to disparage white athletes as any of his jock sniffing peers. Of course, he is even less likely to ever criticize a black athlete. Just my take on it.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Thrashen,the hypocrisy of the cultural Marxists never ends. If a White announcer/host was to make similar comments about Blacks trying to ice skate (ie - "don't even try it Leroy", etc.), or getting dunked on by a White (& saying..."they'll laugh you out of the ghetto for that"!), etc, he be summarily ran out the Zionist controlled "entertainment" industry (ala Jimmy the Greek) and tried for "hate crimes". It's a double-standard that so evident. BTW, Scott's a candy@$$ POS!
smiley7.gif
Edited by: DixieDestroyer