Chicago at Pittsburgh

Bart

Hall of Famer
Will Chicago's defense put a whuppin on the Steelers or will they prove to be over-hyped? Quite a few experts are favoring the Bears but I have to go with the Steelers. I saw the Packer -Bears game last week.If not for a ton of self induced turnovers the lowly Packwould have easily won.

Don, did you ever consider adding an area on the board where we could have some type of weekly contest predicting outcomes during the football season to see who would eventually be crowned football picking guru?

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I think it will be a close game. The Bears have played every game close since that loss to the Bengals. They have an alright offense, but their passing game is weak. It's gonna be a field position game because the Bears can't score, and the Bears haven't allowed too many points. I think whoever forces the big turnover will win the game. The Steelers have a good shot at winning if they minimize their turnovers. If the Steelers do those two things they'll win the game. But I think the Bears will force the turnovers like they have all year.

20-16 Bears

p.s. I'll be crowned guru picking champ.

Bart

Hall of Famer
All right Bear - Arms, since you were bold enough to predict the score, I will throw a number atcha. Ben had 3 picks last week against a pretty good team, but still almost threw for 400 yds. I think he'll do well against the Bears secondary. The Bears offense is very weak and the Steelers defense at home has something to prove. My prediction: Steelers 23 Bears 10.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Oh darn, 2 of the Bears defensive backs are hurt(Mike Brown & Chris Harris[R])
smiley11.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Todd Johnson will get to start and this kid has got tons of potential... he also hits like a truck, from what i saw on Bears special teams

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Todd Johnson played almost all of last year because of Mike Brown's injury,but then they replaced him with CB R.W. McQuarters. I believe Todd was the Bears leading tackler at the time.

I have a feeling he'll be gone at the end of year due to their high praise of Harris at FS.

The only time they ever start Todd is when all their safties get hurt.

Todd Johnson will get to start and this kid has got tons of potential... he also hits like a truck, from what i saw on Bears special teams

He laid a massive hit on someone a few weeks ago.

Bears fans are highly critical of white players. I wouldn't doubt there is a thread on their messageboard burning his ability right now.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Chicago is a white working class city that has had the caste system stuffed up their asses for so long that they like it now.

What happened is the caste system proponants played up to white Chicagoans anti-black social sentiments so the myth of the superior black athlete coincided with all the violent gang banging going on there.

All the Chicago sports fans I know feel the same way, they would not want to spend a minute with a black person but they will cheer themselves silly at the stadium for blacks. And woe to white athletes, their perceived shortcomings are a source of anger and derision in that city.

DA BEARS, DA BULLS, DA BRUTHAS

backrow

Hall of Famer
Todd Johnson is a great player and with luck he will be back to Florida, starting for Bucs one day
smiley2.gif

Spooge

Guru
Hate the Bears. LIke the Steelers a little (now that Trash Stewart is gone), so got to go with the Steelers.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jon McGraw is also now starting at safety for the Lions, also because of injuries to the team's"real" safeties. Like Todd Johnson, McGrawhas a lot of talent but looks like he'll never be allowed to start on a regular basis, what with the league being filled with black safetiesof wildly varying abilities.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Bart said:
All right Bear - Arms, since you were bold enough to predict the score, I will throw a number atcha. Ben had 3 picks last week against a pretty good team, but still almost threw for 400 yds. I think he'll do well against the Bears secondary. The Bears offense is very weak and the Steelers defense at home has something to prove. My prediction: Steelers 23 Bears 10.

The Bears are missing tackles all over the place. I definitely counted on a better showing from the defense.

Hats off to the Steeler thus far.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
The Steeler rans all over the Bears defense. I guess I was a little too *******y.
smiley17.gif

By the way, you were almost dead on with score, Bart.
smiley20.gif

Don, did you ever consider adding an area on the board where we could have some type of weekly contest predicting outcomes during the football season to see who would eventually be crowned football picking guru?

I wouldn't mind doing a prediction thread. Maybe we can do it for the Playoff games since the season is almost over. The incentive of football picking guru may not be enough for some people to participate, but I know if I won I'd put in my signature.
smiley4.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Jon McGraw is also now starting at safety for the Lions, also because of injuries to the team's "real" safeties.  Like Todd Johnson, McGraw has a lot of talent but looks like he'll never be allowed to start on a regular basis, what with the league being filled with black safeties of wildly varying abilities.

too true, but the word from Bears camp is that they are actually very high on Todd Johnson, so we just have to wait and see whether he will get a shot at starting job or not... he is good enough to start in NFL so if he leaves Bears i am sure he will get a chance somewhere, even being as white as he is

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bear-Arms said:
The Steeler rans all over the Bears defense.

I wouldn't mind doing a prediction thread. Maybe we can do it for the Playoff games since the season is almost over. The incentive of football picking guru may not be enough for some people to participate, but I know if I won I'd put in my signature.

smiley4.gif

John Jurkovic mentioned that the field conditions were not favorable for good tackling. Players on both sides were having problems with footing. If defenders can't plant themselves, they'll get pushed around. The advantage went to Bettis. You know what I like about Ben R.? If he throws a bunch of picks one week, he will probably play smarter the next. The Steelers did manage to fumble the ball 4 times but didn't lose a single one. You would think the Bears would be confortable in those conditions but they looked like a Florida team.

I'm with you on the playoff's.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
My prediction:  Steelers 23 Bears 10.

Dang Bart!!!
smiley32.gif
Who do you like next week.
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bart said:

If there's enough interest next year we could run a contest. It's too near the end of the season for that now, but you or anyone can start a predictions thread here in the NFL section.

speedster

Mentor
I'll sometimes take a peak at a Steeler game because I think somehow Sean Morey will get his well deserved shot.But of course he won't as he will always end up being a special teams guy.Morey is part of a Pittsburgh list of white wideouts that were not really given a chance.Included on that list is Chris Doering and Weegie Thompson.Remember him? ActuallyWeegie did get some playing time as a wideout but with that big lanky body of his he should have gotten more.Interesting to note Thompson had an outstanding average yards per reception.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I remember Weegie. He was from the Chuck Noll era. Besides Morey and Doering, you can add Danny Farmer, Curtis Marsh and Mark Didio as white wideouts screwed over by Bill Cowher. Didio was a free agent out of UConn whose hands were as good as any receiver I've ever seen. He finally got a chance to play in a game in '92, Cowher's first year, had three receptions, and never played again in the NFL.

Farmer as we know had superstar potential. So did Marsh -- tall, fast, smart, great hands, the usual white repertoire.

surfsider

Guru
I always got a kick out of seeing Weegie Thompson play.

79 career catches with a 17.4 per catch average.In 1988 he had 16 for 370 yds. a 23.1 average.