(CBS) Overrated-underrated: Polamalu can't cover

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15215764/overratedunderrated-polamalu-cant-cover-packs-williams-can

I think he has some good criticism of the reigning "Defensive Player of the Year".. but I'm more interested in some of his over/under for the other NFL teams.

Baltimore Ravens

Overrated: WR Anquan Boldin. I've been putting him in this spot for a long time. Did you watch the playoffs? He can't run. They say he's a No. 1 receiver. Yeah, right.

Underrated: DT Kyle Williams. He doesn't have a ton of physical tools, but he's a fighter who makes the most of what he does have.

wow.. too bad he's not a "340-pound monster."

Chicago Bears

Overrated: WR Devin Hester. I hate to go back to a guy I picked last year, but let's be real. He had 40 catches last season and he isn't a real factor as a kickoff return man anymore. He can still excel as a punt returner, but that doesn't make him a star -- just a return man.

Cincinnati Bengals

Overrated: LB Keith Rivers. When you watch the Bengals play, you just expect more from a top-10 pick. Rivers is solid. But that's not why you draft a guy in the top 10. He was second on the team in tackles, but he disappears at times.

Underrated: T Andrew Whitworth. At times, he is a force. He is big, strong and can dominate in the run game. He has some issues with speed rushers, but played well in 2010.

Cleveland Browns

Overrated: WR-KR Josh Cribbs. I know he played with a foot injury last season, but his numbers were way down. Yet you would think he was a superstar the way they rave about the guy.

Underrated: NT Ahtyba Rubin. He started 16 games last season and emerged as one of the Browns' better defensive players last season. At 330 pounds and 24 years of age, he has a bright future.

Dallas Cowboys

Overrated: C Andre Gurode. He went to the Pro Bowl last season. How? He was really bad. Just ask Dallas' scouts and coaches.

Underrated: LT Doug Free. He was their best lineman last season after being the team's biggest question mark heading into the year.

A pretty good stretch above.. but not for long.

Denver Broncos

Overrated: QB Tim Tebow. Can we please slow this slobber-fest down? Watch his rookie tape. He was a run-around quarterback who rarely got to the second read. There's a reason John Elway doubted him when he took over. Tebow is the anti-Elway playing the position.

Under overrated, maybe he should have wrote.. their WHOLE DEFENSE! STOP the (completely unjustified) Tebow-bashing!

Houston Texans

Overrated: ILB Brian Cushing. After an impressive rookie season, which earned him NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors, he missed four weeks in 2010 for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. When he returned, he wasn't the same player he was as a rookie.

Indianapolis Colts

Overrated: RT Ryan Diem. He never gets blamed like the left tackle, but he's part of the problem in protection. He has real trouble with speed rushers.

I don't understand this in the least.. how can he be "overrated" when he doesn't receive "huge hype" in the first place?? I think I know somebody that does receive massive hype.. Bob Sanders!

Miami Dolphins

Overrated: T Vernon Carey. At times, he has been one of the team's underrated players. But he didn't play well in 2010. He needs to pick it up.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Overrated: G Davin Joseph. He has the look and talent to be a top-tier guard, but he didn't play to that level last season. He could become a free agent, and if the price gets too high, he could be gone.

Underrated: QB Josh Freeman. He throws 25 touchdown passes against six interceptions and barely anyone notices. Really?

Right back at you, really? You must be extremely naive, not to mention "hearing-challenged".... wow.

Why does an "over/under" list have to have only 1 player in each category? Hordes of affletes are overrated, and he has the nerve to pick on Jared Allen, Matt Cassel, Stinchcomb, Shockey, Tebow and Cushing? Really?
smiley36.gif

Paleocon

Guru
Deadlift said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15215764/overratedunderrated-polamalu-cant-cover-packs-williams-can

Underrated: T Andrew Whitworth. At times, he is a force. He is big, strong and can dominate in the run game. He has some issues with speed rushers, but played well in 2010.

If Whitworth really had that much trouble with speed rushers he would not be considered an underrated player on this list. He would be considered a mediocre or perhaps a bad player. He plays four games a year against Harrison and Suggs who are both notable pass rushers. The truth is that Whitworth is probably one of the top LTs in the NFL (some Bengals fans have made this case when the hardcore Bengal DWFs start calling for Whitworth to get moved to guard). What keeps Whitworth from getting the recognition he deserves is that the rest of the Bengals' offensive line has been erratic which lowers the status of the unit.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Carpenter's never been given sufficient opportunity to qualify as a bust. He has a good chance of starting with Detroit this season and I hope he does very well. I'm not interested in the article, because if the NFL was "color blind" it would look much like it did in the 1960s, the closest the league came, post-segregation, to rewarding ability rather than being the racial spoils system used to boost black pride that it is now.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Cushing will be one of the best linebackers in the league for years.  Carpenter is apparently a huge "bust."

I think what hurt Cushing is when Houston moved him to the inside when DeMeco Ryan's went down with injury.

The media can say that inside backer is "easier" - but if you aren't used to the position - it will take some time to get acclimated to it.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Also, how is Tebow over rated. Sure he was considered a great college player but everyone said he'd make a poor pro and he played very well in his starts last season. Doesn't that make him under rated?

Wisdom

This list is one person's opinion. Anyone who headlines their article with something about Polamalu being overrated immediately loses quite a bit of credibility with me.