Calzaghe-Kessler set

JD074

Master
Liverlips said:
How can you not watch Kessler-Calzaghe!?!

A superfight involving two white warriors!

I couldn't agree more. People who don't want to watch this fight because it's between two white fighters are missing the bigger picture. Isn't it good that so many people are anticipating a big fight between two white fighters? Some have said this is the biggest non-Heavyweight unification fight in over 25 years. And it's between two white fighters! This is a good thing for us. Look at all the white champions from Middleweight to Heavyweight. Pavlik, Abraham, Sturm, Calzaghe, Kessler, Bute, Woods, Erdei, Drews, Maccarinelli, Klitschko, Ibragimov, Chagaev, Maskaev. (And I only had to look up one, Stipe Drews!
smiley36.gif
) Throw in all the white contenders like Froch, Duddy, Povetkin, Liakhovich, Valuev, Diaconu, etc. How are these guys going to avoid each other? They can't fight black B- and C-level fighters forever.

I am wondering why this fight is not a PPV. IT involves two champions and total unification of a weight division. IT has a fighter who has held at least part of the super middleweight title for over a decade. Granted non boxing fans might not recongnize the two European based Champions but I bet non boxing fans do not shell out $55 but any boxing PPV? I am some what offended by HBO letting me watch this for fight only my monthly fee. (But I am glad that did).

dkr77

Guru
I really have mixed feelings about who I want to win so I hope it turns out to be a fight of the year candidate with a split decision result.

Seahawker71

Kessler for the Win.It's easy he's 28 and the Italian Stallion is 35. Kessler
has years of fights to look forward to. Who better for Joe to pass the torch
to than the Danish Warrior?

Tired old White said:
I am wondering why this fight is not a PPV. IT involves two champions and total unification of a weight division. IT has a fighter who has held at least part of the super middleweight title for over a decade. Granted non boxing fans might not recongnize the two European based Champions but I bet non boxing fans do not shell out $55 but any boxing PPV? I am some what offended by HBO letting me watch this for fight only my monthly fee. (But I am glad that did).

That is the main thing Tired Old White...Most people don't know in the Western Hemisphere who either one is and the number probably wouldn't cover enough to do a pay-per-view in America to be fair. However, I wished they could have paired either Joe or Mikkel with a bigger name before they fought to build more buzz. I am getting the feeling that even though this is going to be a huge fight, very few people in America will realize it. Heck, the promoter Frank Warren HAD to put the fight in Cardiff, Wales and fill a 60,000 seat arean for it to even be "economically feasible" for HBO to consider.

Joe did a smart move by coming over to HBO's stable of boxers as they have more name recognition (Kessler, Pavlik, Hopkins, Taylor, Wright, possibly Abraham) than Showtime (Dawson and Tarver). But I wish HBO would give him and Kessler the push like they give their other boxers.
smiley11.gif

Angelcynn

Guru
I'm cheering for Calzaghe (as usual). His demolition of Jeff Lacy was probably my faveourite fight ever and I shall not forget that great night. Calzaghe announced yesterday that he will only fight for another year before retiring. If he beats Kessler and then beats Hopkinds (if Hopkins will actually accept) Calzaghe will go down as one of the best boxers ever and deservidly so, more so than Gayweather.

In the Librade fight I saw Kessler do something I had never seen done anywhere but a Rocky movie. He swithced from a Right handed stance to a left handed stance and did not appear to lose anything in doing so. In addition to be dis concerting to an opponent I am also thinking that it open up some additional opportunities to land hard shots and might remove some of Calzahge's footwork advantage.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Although I'm not rooting for either, I wouldn't miss this fight for anything. Kessler and Calzaghe are easily two of the top five boxers in the world, so it's a rare treat.

I will be happy for the winner but feel sad for the loser.

G

Regular non-payperview HBO?

Says 9PM ET/6 PM PT, so it's either on at some ungodly hour again in the UK, or else it's on time delay here.

ww

Angelcynn

Guru
There also a good video of Calzaghe in his Newport gym on the bbc's boxing page. He says how crap Lacy was, which made me smile
smiley4.gif
. I still can't believe how overly hyped up that guy was. New Tyson my ASS!
smiley36.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
I like Calzaghe, but Kessler looks stronger and seems to hit harder. Joe has a lot of speed however, and can throw punches from all angles. He must have more power than it appears, judging by the high percentage of knockouts he's accrued.

Hockaday

Guru
By the end of this fight Kessler will have the same stunned look on his face as Lacy did when he fought Calzaghe.

G

. I still can't believe how overly hyped up that guy [Lacy] was. New Tyson my ASS

I remember Lacy doing his cakewalk down to the ring holding hands with a white prostitute.

ww

Edited by: werewolf

G

Two gentlemen - instead of two screeching posturing chest-pounding apes. How refreshing.

It's Kessler v 50 000 Welshmen</span>

<div>31 October 2007 (21:05)</span></div>

<div id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder2_pnl_image">

<t></t><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="180">
<t><tr>
<td>
KesslerMikkel050608CelebratesGbg.jpg
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Mikkel Kessler © Getty Images</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

</div>
Mikkel Kessler is banking on youth to overcome Joe Calzaghe's
experience and hometown support in their three-title fight in Cardiff
on Saturday night.

The two meet at the Millennium Stadium to decide who is the best super middleweight in the world.

The 28-year-old Kessler, with a record of 39-0, will put his WBA and
WBC titles on the line against the WBO belt of 35-year-old Calzaghe
(43-0).

"I'm young and fresh and my career has gone so well up to this point,"
the Dane said on Wednesday. "It is a dream come true and a big step up
for me.

"We are two unbeaten champions and it is going to be a great fight."

Calzaghe has defended his title 21 times since winning it from Chris Eubank ten years ago.

Kessler, who has been a world champion for three years, was asked what Calzaghe's weaknesses were.

"His age," Kessler said. "Joe's a great fighter and a gentleman. He has
always kept himself in good shape and looked good in his last fights.
He is a great fighter and I know we will have a great, hard fight."

Kessler will also have to contend with 50 000 Welsh fans cheering for
Calzaghe inside a cavernous rugby stadium that will have its roof
closed.

"I know the crowd will be against me. I would have loved to have the
fight in Denmark," Kessler said. "But I'm not afraid to fight outside
my home country. I have done it before.

"It's always a goal to get outside your own country and get people from
all around the world to know you and know your fights. This fight is
going to be televised in many countries."

The fight is scheduled to start at about 01:30 on Sunday for the benefit of live screening in the United States.

http://www.superboxing.co.za/article.aspx?headline=It`s Kessler%20v%2050%20000%20Welshmen&amp;id=234169

Edited by: werewolf

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I like both guys a lot but I think Kessler will win. At 28, he has lots of time to become a star whereas Calzaghe sepnt his prime years fighting in the UK off of U.S. TV.

Joe can still move up to 175 and take out Hopkins while Kessler reigns at 168.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Another way to look at the outcome for the sake of argument. If Kessler wins he will have knocked Joe down a peg and diminish his standing. Now, if Kessler continues to mow down opponents he will cement his legacy and in actuality Joe wouldn't look to bad in retrospect, having lost to an all-time great, perhaps his only loss. If Kessler goes down to some black fighters then the boxing world will claim that he and Joe were not that good and overrated.

If Joe wins it would be another huge notch on his six - shooter and Kessler would not suffer greatly in the eyes of the public, because it would be no shame to get beaten by the likes of JK. Andthen if Kessler keeps beating up his future opponents, both he and Joe will go down in history as great champs.

devans

Mentor
Joe has been World champion for 10 years.
I'll just repeat that to let it sink in. TEN YEARS.
I don't think there is another current world champion who can say that. He has successfully defended his title 21 times!
Defeat by Kessler will not make that much difference to his legacy in my opinion. He can walk away now as one of the greats of this era.
I think we can watch this fight and celebrate whoever wins.

Hockaday

Guru
I can't believe this isn't on PPV. I thought for sure it would be. All these great fighters, Klitchko, Pavlik, Joe C. and Kessler are just under the radar enough we don't have to pay PPV to watch them. Thank you, boxing Caste System (and there certainly is one).

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
If Kessler goes down to some black fighters then the boxing world will claim that he and Joe were not that good and overrated. If Joe wins it would be another huge notch on his six - shooter and Kessler would not suffer greatly in the eyes of the public, because it would be no shame to get beaten by the likes of JK.   And then if Kessler keeps beating up his future opponents, both he and Joe will go down in history as great champs.

Good post. Your thinking is correct, and I've decided to root for Joe for the reasons you've given. A close decision win for Calzaghe - maybe a SD - is the best outcome. A draw would be okay too.

G

HBO says 9PM ET/6PM PT "live", so presumable live means live and I don't have to stop looking at the internet today to avoid finding out the winner in advance. Hopefully the US announcing team will try not to be complete idiots and insult Calzaghe too much seeing as they are in Wales and might not care to get lynched, but I doubt if Maxie could avoid being a complete idiot even if his life depended upon it. He'll probably interview the winner and ask him how he thinks he'd fare if the division wasn't so pathetically weak as it is now, something like he did to Hatton.

ww (cynic)