Brooks Robinson, RIP

white is right

Hall of Famer
Sad news today about an Oriole legend. With his passing the only hall of fame Oriole of those teams that won pennants and World Series titles left might be Palmer who crossed over to the Murray and Ripken era.

I remember there was a bit of a debate with Scott Rolen being a hall of fame member and his offensive stats are similar to Robinson but Robinson was the third base version of Ozzie Smith with much more pop in the bat.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sad news today about an Oriole legend. With his passing the only hall of fame Oriole of those teams that won pennants and World Series titles left might be Palmer who crossed over to the Murray and Ripken era.

I remember there was a bit of a debate with Scott Rolen being a hall of fame member and his offensive stats are similar to Robinson but Robinson was the third base version of Ozzie Smith with much more pop in the bat.

May he R.I.P. I never saw him play but did watch Craig Nettles who was similar in power and fielding. A notch down from Robinson though.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Robinson's defensive play in the World Series (1970) was legendary.

white is right

Hall of Famer
May he R.I.P. I never saw him play but did watch Craig Nettles who was similar in power and fielding. A notch down from Robinson though.
You know I have this card in my avatar but I never saw him play either as in 77' the Yankees were the visiting team that I payed attention to.

I saw him on TV's Game of the Week constantly in the 60s and early 70s. His play at third base was phenomenal and he got a lot of big hits.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You know I have this card in my avatar but I never saw him play either as in 77' the Yankees were the visiting team that I payed attention to.

I have some Yankees Baseball Cards from the back to back World Series Teams of the late 70's. I have Craig Nettles, Bucky Dent, Reggie
Jackson, Thurman Munson, Ron Guidry and many others. Was a big Yankees Fan as a kid and Nettles was my 2nd favorite player.

Again my prayers and well wishes go out to the family of Brooks Robinson. What an amazing baseball player he was!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brooks Robinson won 16 consecutive Gold Gloves and played in 18 All Star games back when it meant something. He was the AL MVP in 1964 when he hit .318 with 28 HRs and a league best 118 RBIs.

He was the best fielding third baseman ever and with his country looks and manner and the way he conducted himself, even his name, was an outstanding representative of America 1.0.

The play at 1:02 during the 1970 World Series is the best known of his career:

I well remember the 1970 World Series and the impression Brooks Robinson made with his phenomenal fielding. He also hit .429 with 2 home runs.

Brooks Robinson won the 1970 Hickock Belt as the top pro athlete of 1970. The Hickock Belt was a big thing at the time.