British streetfighters

moose

Guru
Have any of you read the books by malcolm price, lenny mclean, brian cockerill or lew yates? I have read all four of these books and if even half of the book is true these guys were incredible fighters.

web toughguy

Brian cockerill is by all accounts a hard man who turned down a offer of competing in britians strongest man. Channel five did a documentary on him and he seemed a sepremly effective enforcer of the underworld in north england. The king of britians streetfighters is roy shaw completly old school and as hard as nails i meet him briefly at a boxing show and he was a class act. I didnt feel in danger round him but wouldnt mess no matter how much training i have done in the combat arts. The gypsies have a culture of bareknuckle fighting and the best of these was bartley gorman. Britian does produce top streetfighters largly due to the drinking culture and the behavoir that destructive lifestyle leads to. But in all honestly apart from a few exeptions the streetfighters aernt capable of even competing with d class trained fighters.

The Lenny McClean book is mostly fluff and exaggerations. He claimed he had over one thousand fights and was the king of the streets and was never knocked out.

Frank Warren, A top boxing promoter and McClean's cousin, said Lenny's real record was six wins with six losses.
He was KOed twice in the first round by a light heavyweight,which he didn't mention in his book.

It seems every semi tough guy can get a book deal these days. I was flicking through the book of Dominic Negus the other day and he tries to promote himself as one of the most dangerous fighters in Britain despite the highlight of his career being a wide points los to the pathetic Audley Harrison.

If you want a really good read from a guy who walked the walk and talked the talk - pick up a copy of "streetfighting man" by Paddy Monaghan.

Sean

Mentor
I remember reading that Warren had a personal beef with McClean, so I think he's a bit biased against him.

Remember too, these guys are streetfighters, not boxers. That's a huge difference. One can be extremely tough, and be a bum as a pro boxer! It's two entirely different things.

That being said, I've never read any of these books, but have seen some info on most of these guys. I've never heard of Cockerill though. How big was he, to be offered a shot in strongman?

Sean said:
I remember reading that Warren had a personal beef with McClean, so I think he's a bit biased against him.

They made up in the mid 1970s according to Frank.

Frank hired Lenny a boxing trainer to get him ready for some fights.

web toughguy

I knew one guy where i live he could streetfight like a absolute warrior he was scotish about 5 foot 10 and ginger i swaw him fight once against a guy about 6 inches taller 5 stone heavier and a fully trained fighter they went toe to toe for ages and he eventually one i asked him if he had ever considered doing boxing or mma and he said that he only fought if he had to. Noone that ive ever meet compares this man was like jake la motta with a punch so not all are unskilled brawlers but most are just hyping there abilties to sell books.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Wasn't former UFC vet Lee Murray a famous British streetfighter? I know he knocked down Tito Ortiz in a alley in London in a street fight. Murray was featured in a story in Sports llustrated a few months ago and that fight with Ortiz was mentioned.Edited by: guest301

White_Savage

Mentor
guest301 said:
Wasn't former UFC vet Lee Murray a famous British streetfighter? I know he knocked down Tito Ortiz in a alley in London in a street fight. Murray was featured in a story in Sports llustrated a few months ago and that fight with Ortiz was mentioned.

The "secret" of people who do real violence has little to do with any athletic skill set. The thing about these people, they don't wait around for Big John to say "Lets get it on!". When their opponents are still wondering if there is going to be a fight or not, they have previously decided there is going to be a fight, how they are going to attack, and have already hit the other guy.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
You hit the nail on the head, WS! I'm not sure that these are my favorite sort of people, but they sure have the key and the instinct to winning fights!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Right on track WS, a street fighter doesn't hessitate to start throwing (even via blindside or with a "foreign object). It means have an "anything goes" mentality & an arsenal that includes lots of MMA-illegal moves...eye gouges, nut kicks, throat thrusts, headbutts, etc. It's a style that can include lots of trouble in our lawsuit happy society, but effective none the less.

BTW 301, ol' "Lightning Lee" has obtained more infamy from his involvement in that big British bank heist than for his KO'ing Tito, nearly dying from being stabbed in a fight & his MMA fights...

92mil pound Securitas Robbery

guest301

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
Right on track WS, a street fighter doesn't hessitate to start throwing (even via blindside or with a "foreign object). It means have an "anything goes" mentality & an arsenal that includes lots of MMA-illegal moves...eye gouges, nut kicks, throat thrusts, headbutts, etc. It's a style that can include lots of trouble in our lawsuit happy society, but effective none the less.

BTW 301, ol' "Lightning Lee" has obtained more infamy from his involvement in that big British bank heist than for his KO'ing Tito, nearly dying from being stabbed in a fight & his MMA fights...

92mil pound Securitas Robbery

Yes Dixie, I read about that whole bank heist that was brilliant and bumbling at the same time in a Sports Illustrated article about Murray a few months ago.