Brett Favre and Javon Walker’s Holdout

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Former teammate Darren Sharper has blasted Brett Favre for criticizing Javon Walker's holdout. This doesn't surprise me at all. Despite Favre's alleged "revered" status among players, whites aren't supposed to speak out when the issue is a black teammate. I wonder if this controversy will eventually take on overt racial overtones:

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver /05/05/favre.flak/index.html[/url]

Highwayman

Of course Brett was right--but no one will celebrate him for doing so. Lemme ask all you guys who totally despise him, wouldn't you rather everyone felt like he did about the game? He's like the ultimate old-school guy, he gets hurt but he still plays--that's what duct tape is for, right? Some of you clueless outsiders think Brett has just been lucky. Uh, no, they break his foot, they break his hand, whatever, Brett just wants to know if they can tape him up so he can play. They mighta said no, but Brett said he'd play anyway--and some guys mighta had a problem with that. Not Brett, he's out there even if his throwing hand is totally encompassed in tape and he can't run 'cause his knee is shot and won't tell anyone.

If Javon Walker was the same caliber as Favre, this wouldn't even come up. But he isn't and wants to get paid early even though he accepted a five-year contract and got the big bonus. I won't denigrate Walker as I do honestly believe he's been the Packers best reciever for two years now and probably does deserve more money---but there is a reason I revere Favre...and he just proved it.

Kaptain

Master
Top reciever for two years in a row, highwayman. Sounds Bill shroeder like - they should cut him. All hail brett Farve!

Bear-Arms

Mentor
The whole argument Sharper has is that Favre isn't supporting his teammate. Yet, this teammate is not supporting Favre or the team by holding out. I almost couldn't finish this article when they brought up "playa hating".

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Did you know that Javon Walker is the "anti-T.O." This (black) writer thinks walking away from your team and staging a holdout two years before your contract is up is quite admirable as long as you don't act like aposing, primping8-year-old while doing it.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jeffri_chadiha /05/17/chadiha.walker/index.html [/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man alive, it never ends does it?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Not only does he put a spin on Walker's actions but he also misleads readers concerning the amount of money Walker has received from his current contract. He forgets to inform us of the signing and bonusmonies Walker has already been paid.

Jeffri Chadia: He has every right to ask for more money. The fourth-year receiver has two years remaining on a contract that pays him $515,000 in base salary this season and $650,000 in 2006. If nothing else, he deserves more money for blossoming into the most reliable big-play target Favre has had in years

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel staff July 23, 2002.' Walker will receive a '$3 million signing bonus as well as a guaranteed $1.3 million option bonus due next March. The $4.3 million in bonus money is $107,000 more than Archuleta received from the Rams.' 'Walker will make base salaries of $545,000 this year, $300,000 in 2003, $390,000 in 2004.'

All right then, Walker was paid 4.3 million for signing and bonus, plus 545,000 for 2002, 300,000 for 2003 and 390,000 for 2004 bringing the grand total to $5,535,000.00.