Boxing in the 2008 Olympics

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I'm becoming more excited as we approach tomorrow's semi-finals! Every boxer who wins tomorrow will win at least a silver medal, every one who loses will go home with bronze.

There are some very talented white fighters competing tomorrow such as Ireland's Kenny Egan, Russia's Alexy Tishchenko, Britain's Tony Jeffries, Italy's Clemente Russo, and Ukraine's Vasyl Lomachenko.

But Cuba undeniably has some very good black fighters and will be tough to defeat.

I'm going to sleep this evening, and stay up all night and watch it live - what about you guys?

Here's the schedule:

boxing semi-finals Aug 22
Edited by: JD1986

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the link. Outside of the Cubans it looks like blacks will not win a medal. Pretty white dominated (especialy if all the fighters from the 'stans' are ethnic Russians.) The Italian should win the super heavyweight medal. That makes 3 out of 4 for our people going back to 1996.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Cammarelle, Lomachenko, Chakhkiev and Tishchenko put on excellent performances and advanced to the finals.

African-American Deontay Wilder, 6'7", looked crude and unskilled as he lost 7:1 against the small Italian heavyweight Clemente Russo.

- Ireland has one fighter in the finals: Kenny Egan.
- Italy has two: Cammarelle and Russo.
- Russia has two: Tishchenko and Chakhkiev.
- Ukraine has just one, Vasyl Lomachenko, but he appears to be the best fighter overall in the 2008 Olympics.
- The US, who sent no white fighters as part of their 8 man team, has none.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Deontay Wilder has looked like that all tourney. Picture a skinnier Nigerian fighter..
smiley36.gif
Cammarelle has looked decent so far, but I have heard he won't think about turning pro. I wonder if a 7 figure signing bonus won't change his mind? I also saw Francesco Damiani at ringside coaching the Italian squad he looks huge now(I would say 250+).

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Vasyl Lomachenko blows out his opponent with a first round TKO and wins Gold.

smiley32.gif

He's easily the most talented boxer in the 2008 Olympics. I'd like to see him sign with K-2 Promotions, but he's only age 20 so he may not turn pro for a while yet.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Of the four finals we have 2 gold medals (a Russian won heavyweight). A Thai fighter won the flyweight gold.

One piece of bad news. A mulatto won the gold for England at middleweight.

We should get a few more as the results come in, including the all-important super heavyweight gold.

speedster

Mentor
Interesting how NBC couldn't find it in themselves to show the heavyweight final like they did the other weight classes.Let me see now,you have two White guys going at it who have come off wins against the affletes meaning simply that a White will be Olympic champion in the all-important heavyweight class.Throw in the fact Whites control the heavys in the pros this would just send the wrong message.So they saw fit to show an interview with big-mouth Brit Degale after his hugfest but not Chahkiev's win.Clearly I can see their agenda.

G

Speedster, did you expect anything else from this Network. They are in the tank for Barry Obama and your right, featuring two whites fighting for Gold in the heavyweight division is no way in their plans. I suspect if another afflete from another country was involved it would be primetime.

Thanks JD1986 for the updates.

Bart

Hall of Famer
speedster said:
Interesting how NBC couldn't find it in themselves to show the heavyweight final like they did the other weight classes.

Unbelievable!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
The following white fighters won gold:

Roberto Cammarelle (super heavyweight)
Rakhim Chakhkiev (heavyweight)
Alexey Tishchenko (lightweight)
Vasyl Lomachenko (featherweight)

Britain's James DeGale who won middleweight gold appears to be about 75% white.

smiley18.gif
Kenny Egan was robbed by the judges of a deserved gold in the light heavyweight final. Alexis Vastine of France had a light welterweight semi-final win taken away by the referee, with four points in total taken away for alleged holding. His opponent Felix Diaz went on to win gold, the only black fighter to do so.

smiley36.gif
The mostly black teams from the US and Cuba won no gold medals.

smiley32.gif
The 20 year old Ukrainian Vasyl Lomachenko won the Val Barker trophy for outstanding boxer in the 2008 Olympics.Edited by: JD1986

JD074

Master
Lomachenko was fantastic. It was great that he and Cammarelly stopped their opponents. You never know what could happen with the scoring! I'm really disappointed about Egan. Unlike most of the other fighters, he was actually fun to watch. He was so dominant before the final match, outscoring his opponents 50-7!! I can't wait to see the fight so I can get even more frustrated about it!
smiley36.gif
Lomachenko and Egan both have the potential to be great pros.

JD074

Master
Whites and Asians dominated Olympic boxing. Asians won five Gold medals and Whites won four. A Black Latino got one Gold, and a light-skinned fighter of mixed ancestry (Degale) picked up a Gold as well.

Light Flyweight (106 lb, 48 kg):
Zou Shimming (China) RET-2 (0:19) Purevdori Serdamba (Mongolia)

Flyweight (112 lb, 51 kg):
Somjit Jongjohor (Thailand) W-4 Andry Laffita (Cuba), 8-2

Bantamweight (119 lb, 54 kg):
Badar-Uugan Enkhbatyn (Mongolia) W-4 Yankiel Leon (Cuba), 16-5

Featherweight (125 lb, 57 kg):
Vasyl Lomachenko (Ukraine) RSC-1 (1:51) Khedafi Djelkhir (France)

Lightweight (132 lb, 60 kg):
Aleksei Tishchenko (Russia) W-4 Daouda Sow (France), 11-9

Light Welterweight (139 lb, 64 kg):
Felix Diaz-Guzman (Dominican Republic) W-4 Manus Boonjumnong (Thailand), 12-4

Welterweight (152 lb, 69 kg):
Bakhyt Saesekbayev (Kazakhstan) W-4 Carlos Banteaux Suarez (Cuba), 18-9

Middleweight (165 lb, 78 kg):
James Degale (Great Britain) W-4 Emilio Correa (Cuba), 16-14

Light Heavyweight (178 lb, 81 kg):
Xiaoping Zhang (China) W-4 Kenny Egan (Ireland), 11-7

Heavyweight (201 lb, 91 kg):
Rakhim Chakhkeiv (Russia) W-4 Clemente Russo (Italy), 4-2

Super Heavyweight (+201 lb, +91 kg):
Roberto Cammarelle (Italy) RSC-4 (0:19) Zhilei Zhang (China)Edited by: JD074

Kaptain

Master
Wow! Lomachenko is the most talented boxer coming out of the olympics I have ever seen. He will be a pro world champion no doubt.

Angelcynn

Guru
I can't believe the judges when I watched Kenny Egan v Zhang, it was so unbelievably biased!!! Kenny landed like 5 clean hits which were not scored! The judges seemed to give Zhang a point for every roar made by the Chinese crowd and the same happened to British boxer Joe Murray when he took on Gu Yu in the ealier rounds.

Magellan

Hi !

I m french and very glad that Lomachenko had beaten the "french" fighter in finale.

In fact our "french" fighter is an arab immigrant. He is living in the arab neigbourghood of Besançon (eastern france). I was in Besançon 3 days ago, and this neighbourghood is full up with immigrants.

In the newspapers of Besançon, he said that he was going to "agress" the Ukrainian... too bad for him, he got destroyed instead !

We had 3 medals in boxing with the french team. One black, one arab and one white. Surprisingly enough, i think the white has a russian name (Vastine sounds more russian than french). I m not quite sure...

awful that the US did not pick a single white fighter in its 8-men team !

Angelcynn said:
I can't believe the judges when I watched Kenny Egan v Zhang, it was so unbelievably biased!!! Kenny landed like 5 clean hits which were not scored! The judges seemed to give Zhang a point for every roar made by the Chinese crowd and the same happened to British boxer Joe Murray when he took on Gu Yu in the ealier rounds.

Same thing happened to Paddy Barnes.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Every host country gets the benefit of the doubt. Did the US lose one close bout in 84'? Who can forget 88' and the shocked look that Roy Jones' opponent had when his hand was raised. Supposedly Rolex watches were given to judges in Seoul. Boxing needs to go back to the old system and just let competent people do the judging. The computer system may be worse than the old one.

JD074

Master
On the bright side, the non-white US team only got one Bronze medal, and Cuba picked up eight medals, but no Gold!