black vs white receivers...hmm?

PhillyBirds

Mentor
ManifestDestiny/FootballRules, you are clearly very intelligent. You made some valid points in your post and I agree with some of them. Heck, your point is acknowledged, albeit breifly in the "About Us" section off the main screen:

We respect the fact that blacks make good football players.

Pretty striaghtforward. Some posters have their own opinions on players. That's the point of the Forum. If you're out to argue opinions, no one ever wins. Yes, it is distinctly possible that Emmitt Smith was a better pure RB than Mike Alstott, but that doesn't mean that the poster needs to be subjected to a tirade.

I don't always agree with posts on Castefootball, but I refrain from letting it bother me in the way it seems to bother you.

I try to avoid all of this idealogical troll BS, but I wanted to make (at least I think) the ubiquitous feeling towards your attitude known. Post what you think, but don't include criticism of another poster or sarcastic commentary. Especially, I would advise against criticizing the website's nature.

We are not racists. Just observers.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Observer

Mentor
There's a big misunderstanding taking place here, I think.

ManifestDestiny/FootballRules, you missed the point of the opening post: the point being that those particular black receivers and running backs are superior to the white players listed.

The opening poster has a history as a mischievous sort who likes to raise trouble by saying things like:

Randy Moss <=black player from today>
is better than
Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch <=white guy from 50 years ago>;

when, of course, the truth is that:
<white guy from today> is also better than <black guy from 50 years ago>.

If you take the time to read the later posts, there are different players proposed for an alternate white players listing. I know it takes time to read through waves of posts, but that is the context; and out of such things do misunderstandings arise.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Also, Mike Alstott is faster than Emmitt Smith. Smith was a good runner though, almost always working his way forward.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Football Rules, Randy Moss is a different type of receiver than Steve Largent. Largent was a very elusive guy around 6 foot who was great at getting open through brilliant route running like Jerry Rice. Largent is one of the best ever without a doubt and is still top 5 in the league in career catches I believe. Largent wasn't the best deep threat guy for the long pass, but could make magic happen with his burst and elusive route running and run after the catch ability.

Randy Moss is a superb deep threat with 4.4 speed and is a tall and lanky WR at 6 foot 4. Randy can stretch the field and is great on the jump ball. Would Matt Jones do as well as Randy Moss with Tom Brady throwing him the ball? I think that that is actually a possibility now that Jones has really come of age on a bad team with only a good game manager at QB.

For instance looking at New England Randy Moss had more yards than Wes Welker last year and far more TDs 23 compared to 8, but less catches. Wes and Randy are very different too, but both crucial to New England's offensive success. Wes led the league in Yards after catch average and tied for league led in receptions last year.

Emmitt Smith was a good RB, but played behind one of the best o-lines ever with Moose Johnson also blocking for him for much of the time at FB. Emmitt also had Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman to counter balance his rushing attack.

Mike Alstott would have done just as well as Emmitt IMO in Dallas with the same number of carries. Alstott had Sean King to counter balance his attack and often was used in third and short and late in games when they knew he was running, which brings down your yards per carry.

Alsott was at least as fast as Emmitt Smith as Emmitt Smith had 4.6 speed. But Alstott ran around a 4.6 at 250 lbs because they made him beef up. The only area where Emmitt had a noticable advantage IMO was in short area burst because he was much smaller.

If you want to pick a RB that is better than both Emmitt Smith and Mike Alstott you should pick Adrian Peterson; the guy is a freak who backs up his game by playing like a stud on the field.

Football Rules if you want to post here you should look at the draftdaddy.com comment from today regarding Peyton Hillis who is averaging 4.8 yards per carry in Denver, but is getting hate from the media.

If Peyton stays at RB in Denver he will continue to average in the high 4s to 5 YPC. But does that mean he's better than Alstott? Clearly Alstott played in a weak offense and was used incorrectly which is why he only averaged 3.8 YPC for his career.

Don't come on here to lecture us how much better black players are then white players. I think my assessment in varying styles of players is pretty fair!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

white is right

Hall of Famer
ManifestDestiny said:
Guests said:
The blacks would have...

Jerry Rice..Chris Carter..Art Monk..Andre Reed..Henry Ellard..Randy Moss..Terrell Owens..Michael Irvin..Sterling Sharpe.

Whites...

Steve Largent..Lance Alworth..Don Maynard..Fred Biletnikoff..Don Hutson..Charley Hennighan..Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch..Tommy McDonald..Bobby Joe Conrad.

Close huh?....hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell let's do the running backs while I'm at it.

blacks...Barry Sanders, Jimmy Brown, Tony Dorsett, Gale Sayers, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Emmitt Smith, O.J.Simpson, Marcus Allen, Franco Harris.

whites...John Riggins, Jim Taylor, Larry Czonka, Hugh McElhenny, Ernie Nevers, Steve Van Buren, Bronko Nagurski, The Galloping Ghost, The Four Horsemen, Dickie Post.

close huh?....hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can say without a doubt that neither of those lists are even close. Nobody in their right mind could argue that Randy Moss and Jerry Rice are worse than any "white" receiver. It's not even close.Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, heck even Emmitt Smith are all way better than any of the "white" runningbacks mentioned.I think white athletes can be just as good as black athletes but this argument has no logic at all and is downright asinine to even suggest that the lists are remotely close.
I beg to differ on Smith. He benefited from a huge line and maybe the best offense in the history of pro football. I don't think Smith is much better than the "King" or Riggo. Dallas was the first team that had 300 plust linemen. It was the difference in SB XXVII and XXVIII as the small Bills line were largely blown off the ball by the "Bovine" line.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Not to mention that the first posts on our website were critical of white players. Basically the act of a troll. Furthermore the point of this site is not just to see that white players are treated fairly but also to cheer them on. That means that, yes we feel that the list of white players is as good or better then the list of black ones and it is anti-white discrimination that has prevented the white players from compiling similar statistics. So you need to "get over it" and stop coming on this site and bugging us or you will be banned as soon as you show up.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
jaxvid said:
Not to mention that the first posts on our website were critical of white players. Basically the act of a troll. Furthermore the point of this site is not just to see that white players are treated fairly but also to cheer them on. That means that, yes we feel that the list of white players is as good or better then the list of black ones and it is anti-white discrimination that has prevented the white players from compiling similar statistics. So you need to "get over it" and stop coming on this site and bugging us or you will be banned as soon as you show up.

I could not of said this better myself. Jax, you said it. And we do not need any wienersuckers around here. There are plenty of wienersuckers on other sites where they can have their fill of you know what.