"Black Ice" book by the Faury Brothers

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I get satelite TV so I can get ESPN and NFL coverage here in Canada. Sports Center did a report this past Saturday about a new book called "Black Ice" which details how escaped slaves and other blacks that had moved to Nova Scotia were the real innovators of early hockey. The report stated that a BHL (Black Hockey League) existed in the late 1800's and died out before WWI. The report was the usual glorification of blacks in sports. It stated that the black teams "often beat white teams" but would never get a chance to play them again because the whites feared humiliation supposedly. It also stated that blacks in the BHL invented the slap shot 50 years before the NHL used it in the BHL. The historical Nova Scotia paper articles reffered to it as players swinging the hockey stick like a baseball bat.

Now the writers of the book, and it appears Sports Center, are claiming that the NHL is doing an injustice by not recognizing the BHL in Nova Scotia. It's quite ridiculus the NHL has already opened discussions with the writers on this new book (I believe their name is Faury, they are brothers), but apparently they want the NHL to immediatly act without any time for discussion of this new research. It's quite ridiculous. The next day on Sunday I also watched Sports Center and in their report of the NFL combine they mentioned numerous RB performances without even mentioning Brian Leonard. It shows how much the American sports elites are in love with the "black power" mentality in sports. I can assure you it is much less so in Canada. If Canada is refered to as "America Jr." by Homer in the Simpsons it could also be refered to as "Black Power Jr." when it comes to sports. There is a caste system in Canada, but it is much weaker! I think that's why you are seeing some Canucks on this site. Maybe Canadians can see an institution of American society that is so ingrained in the minds of white Americans, that the vast majority of white Americans themselves don't see it!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

White Mike

Guru
Nice post. "America Jr", funny I've always refered to Canada as the "Great White North".

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Next we'll be told that the BHL featured effortless 100-goal scorers and goalies with 0.25 goals against averages. The NHL will be forced to induct BHL players into its Hall of Fame or otherwise face charges of racism,much like the still ongoing racket where just about anyone who claimed to have played in the Negro Leagues is now enshrined in Cooperstown.

C Darwin

Mentor
There was never a BHL. The actual name of the league was the
Colored Hockey League of the Maritimes. There is evidence that the
leagued formed as a means of community identity, rather than racial
exclusion. Apparently, this was the first league where goaltenders
were permitted to fall to the ice to stop a shot.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
C Darwin said:
There was never a BHL. The actual name of the league was the
Colored Hockey League of the Maritimes. There is evidence that the
leagued formed as a means of community identity, rather than racial
exclusion. Apparently, this was the first league where goaltenders

Thanks for correcting the mistakes in my post. I didn't take notes while watching the ESPN report, but I still got the jest of it.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

C Darwin

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Thanks for correcting the mistakes in my
post. I didn't take notes while watching the ESPN report, but I still
got the jest of it.

No, you got it right. ESPN reported it as the BHL. It was their error,
not yours.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
C Darwin said:
Apparently, this was the first league where goaltenders

Yeah, you're right. According to the report, it stated that the first goalie to do it was in the CHL and was 3 ft 6. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins