Best of the "unheralded"

Melancholia

This may have been done before, but I think we should create a listing of the best white players (semi-recently) who sadly have gone unheralded and unnoticed. Some positions, I think can be left off, like QB, K, P, since the most of those are white players.

RB - Jacob Hester, Patrick Hillis, Brian Leonard. I know there are more, but I don't often watch College football (have been starting recently) so I don't know a lot of the really good white backs who make it to the NFL only to be overlooked or switched to another position.

WR - Drew Bennett, Kevin Curtis, Jordy Nelson, Tim Dwight. I left off notable names like Stokley, Gonzo, and McCaffery, since they weren't overshadowed for much of their (current) career.

D - I always really liked Jason Sehorn. He was one of the last white CBs I can remember. Sadly, in the end of his career he too was forced into a foreign position (Safety) and then faded away. Adam Archuleta has always been solid. Brian Russell is a good secondary player.

Who are some of your recent favorite white players, who sadly haven't gotten the attention they've deserved?

DWFan

Mentor
Dane Looker. I don't know a lot about him, but I've seen enough games to know that he should get some more attention.

Andrew Lynch

LB Hunter Hillenmeyer for the Bears. Bears fans seem to dislike him because his last name isn't "Briggs" or "Urlacher".

LB Ben Leber for the Vikings. Never hear anything about him, but he's a very physical, solid linebacker.

S Sean Considine for the Eagles - When he's healthy, he's usually pretty good.

S/CB Steve Gregory for the Chargers - When given a chance to play (which is rare), he's a great tackler, and as fast as many "athletic" DB's. 4.55 40 time.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I remember watching a UCLA game in the early 2000s on TV, and there was this one play where Cade McNown threw a touchdown pass to Drew Bennett, and the play by play commentator said, "With all the options McNown had, he really scraped the bottom of the barrel there, but it turned out okay this time..."

I always remembered that play because that's when I first started to realize how racist football can be. And other sports, too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
GiovaniMarcon said:
I always remembered that play because that's when I first started to realize how racist football can be. And other sports, too.

I've noticed thousands and thousands of anti-white racial stereotypes and pro-black ones while watching college and pro games (there can literally be a hundred or more in a single game), but one that always sticks with me was when an announcersaid after a great play by Pat Tillman, "He'll be the first one to tell you he's not much of an athlete."

Tillman was making upwards of 200 tackles a season as a safety yet got no respect from the media and fans, and the Cardinals were continually bringing in black safeties to take his place as he was consideredthe weak link in the team's defense.He lost his starting job on more than one occasion and was continually written off by those that wanted him to fail.

But when Tillman joined the service after 9/11, the media was unanimous in singing his praises as a football "star" who had given up the money and glory for patriotic reasons. I guess no one had any doubts then about his physical and mental ability to be a top warrior. The disgusting hypocrisy of the Caste System was never more evident, and as far as how his death was lied about and cynically used, let's not even go there because it's still a sore wound for a lot of us.

Don Wassall said:
GiovaniMarcon said:

I've noticed thousands and thousands of anti-white racial stereotypes and pro-black ones while watching college and pro games (there can literally be a hundred or more in a single game), but one that always sticks with me was when an announcer said after a great play by Pat Tillman, "He'll be the first one to tell you he's not much of an athlete." 

Tillman was making upwards of 200 tackles a season as a safety yet got no respect from the media and fans, and the Cardinals were continually bringing in black safeties to take his place as he was considered the weak link in the team's defense. He lost his starting job on more than one occasion and was continually written off by those that wanted him to fail.

But when Tillman joined the service after 9/11, the media was unanimous in singing his praises as a football "star" who had given up the money and glory for patriotic reasons.  I guess no one had any doubts then about his physical and mental ability to be a top warrior.  The disgusting hypocrisy of the Caste System was never more evident, and as far as how his death was lied about and cynically used, let's not even go there because it's still a sore wound for a lot of us.

I have wondered if the fact that the media and fans did not like him all that much had something to do with Pat Tillman's decision to join the army's Rangers. He probably assumed that if you prove your worth as a Ranger, you would be accepted.

I read a lot of articles in the sporting press after Tillman's death. You would think that he was highly esteemed by the fans. They never mentioned the "non-athletic" rap that Tillman carried among media types and fans who supposedly admired his sacrifice.

Melancholia said:
Brian Russell is a good secondary player.

Love the way Russell plays. Very hard hitter.

Every time someone mentions his name in conversation, I can't help but think of when he nearly decapitated that loud-mouthed idiot Chad Johnson at mid-field. When Johnson got up (or was "helped up", as I should say), he didn't know which end was up or whether to sh*t, piss or cry.
smiley36.gif

The really ugly part of that whole incident, was how both the league and the media demonized Russell for using "excessive force" and the NFL fined him for that hit, claiming it was "illegal". Total bullsh*t.

Some of my other favorite White players are Wes Welker, Kevin Kasper (wherever he may be), Tim Dwight, Brian Leonard, Matt Light (gotta have at least one lineman), Tom Brady (hopefully, he will recover completely), Mike Furrey, Joe Jurevicious and Kevin Kaesviharn.

Matt Jones USED to be one of my faves as well, but he was recently involved in a little "incident" that caused him to fall out of favor with me.
Edited by: Ground Fighter

Don Wassall said:
I've noticed thousands and thousands of anti-white racial stereotypes and pro-black ones while watching college and pro games (there can literally be a hundred or more in a single game), but one that always sticks with me was when an announcer said after a great play by Pat Tillman, "He'll be the first one to tell you he's not much of an athlete."

Sometimes I wonder how some of these idiot commentators made it into professional broadcasting. Then I realize that its because they are mere sheep who will do just about anything for a paycheck. And the comment about Pat Tillman that one of them made, well, that may be THE MOST appalling and infuritating sentence to EVER come out of a "sportscaster's" mouth. I mean, seriously, the man made it in one of the most intricate and elite units in the military, and they're calling the guy "unathletic"?
smiley7.gif

I'd like to see how long "room brightnin' smilin'" Reggie Bush or "tap dancin'" Chad Johnson would last in Army Ranger or Green Beret training.

My guess is they wouldn't make it past roll call.
smiley36.gif

LabMan

Mentor
Solid post again GF,

You are right on the money when you write."they are mere sheep",i just finished another grinding season of baseball coverage,MLB package,up to 60 games per week,listening to "fox sports caste announcers",selling out their own every chance they had,and cameramen zooming up so close to non-white players faces that pock marks could be seen in their complexions!

I always had to keep in mind that these "fox neo-con productions"!

Lower case "fox',intended.