Benny Friedman

It was interesting to me that Benny Friedman was voted into the Pro Football HOF. I remember reading about himmany years ago, criticizing the modern game. Friedman's was most notable for his aggressive personal campaigning to get into the HOF. He wrote letters and articles for decades claiming that he should be in Canton.

It was said that his constant lobbying actually hurt his chances. Friedman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at age 77 in 1982. Well, Benny Friedman finally made it. I read that the efforts of his Brandeis (where Friedman coached) players were instrumental in his enshrinement.

Trainer

sport historian said:
It was interesting to me that Benny
Friedman was voted into the Pro Football HOF. I remember reading about
himmany years ago, criticizing the modern game. Friedman's was
most notable for his aggressive personal campaigning to get into the
HOF. He wrote letters and articles for decades claiming that he should
be in Canton.

It was said that his constant lobbying actually hurt his chances.
Friedman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at age 77 in 1982.
Well, Benny Friedman finally made it. I read that the efforts of his
Brandeis (where Friedman coached) players were instrumental in his
enshrinement.

Interesting. I never ever heard about Benny Friedman before and I kind of consider myself an amateur football historian
smiley36.gif

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is part of the overall NFL
strategy of multiculturalism. They have the many white and black Hall
of Famers, now they have a Jewish hall of famer. But, I'm sure there
are a few others. The only former great Jewish player I can recall was
Sid Luckman from the 40s' and 50s'.

So, it may just be a bone thrown to Jewish fans so they can have
someone to be proud of. Every ethnicity does it to some degree in all
sports. For years Jewish baseball fans never stopped talking about the
Hank Greenberg.

Hey, not trying to take anything away from this Benny Friedman guy. I'm
sure he was a very capable player in his time. But never ever even
heard his name before.

Bart

Hall of Famer
That was a helluva sight . Yesiree, Steve Young , Dan Marino and Benny Friedman. I guess we don't know a damn thing about football on this board. Benny didn't make our top ten QB's of all time list, probably wouldn't have made our top 500 but what can I say? He campaigned tirelessly for himself and his fellow chosenites made sure he got in. What team did he play for again... the Brooklyn Chutzpah's?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It was a helluva sight, but just look at what's coming now for the indefinite future. Next year Troy Aikman should go in on his first try, but he'll most likely go in with Warren Moon, Reggie White, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. And after Aikman. . . who? Who is the next great white player who will be enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame? Gannon's not gonna make it. The next one won't be until five years after Brett Favre retires. The full effect of the Caste System will be seen for many years to come in Canton starting in 2006. Edited by: Don Wassall

As far as I know, Benny Friedman didn't make a big deal out of being Jewish. He was very bitter about not being voted in during his lifetime. I forgot to mention that Red Grange had praised Friedman's ability in interviews. Friedman's supporters were happy to have Grange's endorsement. Red tended to praise everybody in his era, however, and was a generous man with compliments. I would add that throwing a football was tough to do in the 1920's, much like tossing a watermelon. Friedman deserves credit as a passing pioneer, whether or not he was HOF caliber.

The Pro Football HOF is the toughest of the Halls to get into, so anyone who gets inis examined pretty closely. I read a piece by former Buffalo writer, Larry Felser, on this subject many years ago. Felser wrote that Friedman was disliked by many voters because of his personal campaigning for election to the Hall.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I am still hoping that Chunkin' Charlie Conerly, the man who made Quarterback the position it is now, will get into the HOF. He deserves it a lot more than Friedman, whom I have heard of, but is not HOF material in my book. Charlie in 06'!

The fact that Charlie Conerly isn't in the HOF is an indication of the contention that the Pro Football HOF is very tought to get into. Conerly was a very big name in his time. He hasn't got in because he was a "winner" rather than a "stat" player. His stats don't look impressive to younger writers, I suppose. If Benny Friedman can get in, Charlie Conerly has to be admitted. The 1950's NY Giants of Conerly, Gifford, Huff, etc did a lot to make pro football as big a baseball.

foreverfree

Mentor
Trainer said:
For years Jewish baseball fans never stopped talking about the Hank Greenberg.

I'm sure they've yet to cease discussing Sandy Koufax.

Trainer said:
Hey, not trying to take anything away from this Benny Friedman guy. I'm sure he was a very capable player in his time. But never ever even heard his name before.

Neither had I, till last winter. Fritz Pollard, I had. The Jewish media saw to it. (rolls eyes)

John

IceSpeed2

Guru
He played in an era when football teams were like
clubs. He did not really do much to pioneer football. He
was just a good quarterback in the 1920's. The Football Hall of
Fame should honor players that contribute to football.