baseball teams that promote white players

whynotwhite

Can anyone tell me the top 10 baseball organizations that still give white players a chance? My nephew was recently released from a team that only promotes, latino and black players and needs to find a team that will just look at his talent.

LabMan

Mentor
What part of the country are you in whynotwhite,what position does he play,and is there a minor league team near you?

Tom Iron

Mentor
whynotwhite,

Hello and greetings Sir.

I'm sorry that I don't know where to direct you, but I have a question for you. Does your nephew think he got the short end of the stick from the team because he's a white guy?

I'm interested if these young men are aware of what's going on and if they talk about it among themselves.

Again, Welcome to Castefootball.

Tom Iron...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whynotwhite said:
Can anyone tell me the top 10 baseball organizations that still give white players a chance? My nephew was recently released from a team that only promotes, latino and black players and needs to find a team that will just look at his talent.

Just click on the Baseball column on the left side of this page, scroll down to the article "Castefootball looks at the 2007 American and National leagues. The write up there will tell which teams were best for last year. Welcome to the board.

whynotwhite

Thanks for your comments.

In answer to your questions. We live in Kansas and my nephew is a catcher. He said all of his roomates in spring training were white kids from America. But the organization kept moving up the players from the Dominican and the black players even though they didn't have near the stats or work ethic of the white players. Yea they talk about it. 4 weeks into spring training 1/2 of his roomates were gone and talk in the locker room that alot of white players feeling like they are getting the shaft.

What do you do?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say the best organizations for a white player to have a decent chance are Houston, Colorado, Oakland, Atlanta, San Diego, Cincinnati, Minnesota, St. Louis, Cleveland and Milwaukee. Texas, Toronto and Tampa have been better in recent years, too. Financially cheap ones like Florida, Kansas City and Pittsburgh are also possibilities.

LabMan

Mentor
Please see the thread "Pittsburgh Chases More Diversity",at this site,quite a bit of commentary on the catching position.

whynotwhite

Seems to me the owners of these teams have to be interested in the bottom line. If fans say they want to see more American kids playing "America's past time" and won't buy tickets to watch a team of Dominican's play , then they would make some adjustments.

Basketball and Football have excluded more and more white players. If baseball is next ,what will happen to our children that are great athletes but are unfortunetly white? We'll need to tell them don't bother trying for a job in professional sports because they we be wasting years of hard work and dedication; just to be overlooked.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
The Philadelphia Phillies are pretty good with whites, despite the publicity that Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins bring. All of our starting pitchers and outfielders, half of our bullpen and our fabulous 2nd baseman are white. Plus some backups and utility guys here and there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the Phils are pretty good at scouting and developing white players, I should have included them.

Tom Iron

Mentor
whynotwhite,

Another question if you don't mind. What does your nephew say is the demeaner of the coach or manager who informs the White guy, who has clearly outperformed the black and Latin players when they tell the white guy their letting him go? Are they in any way ashamed of what they're doing, or do they seem to think they're doing the organization a good turn? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just trying to understand the mindset behind this.

Tom Iron...

Alpha Male

Mentor
Good questions Tom Iron; I am curious too. How much discrimination will whites take before they sue in court?

Jamie Kelso

<center>The 1958 Boston Red Sox
The Team That Held Out Best Against
Politically Correct Integration</font>
</center>

Here's the complete roster of all players fielded for the 1958 Boston Red Sox. And below the roster I've linked some autographed cards from some of the 1958 Red Sox. Some of the cards are signatures gathered when the player shown had been traded to another team...but they're all 1958 Boston Red Sox.

The 1959 Boston Red Sox were the last major league team to bow to politically correct integration of Blacks. Jackie Robinson, who signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers (in 1946?) had tried out with the Boston Red Sox and been rejected as a prospect.

I read somewhere that there are Black players even today whose contracts specify that they may never be traded to the Boston Red Sox, those nasty "racist" Red Sox. 50 years later!

<center>
Boston_Red_Sox_1958_roster.jpg
</center>

<center>
frank_baumann_autograph.jpg

ted_williams_autograph.jpg

marty_keough_autograph.jpg

jimmy_piersall_autograph.jpg

pete_runnels_autograph.jpg

don_buddin_autograph.jpg

billy_klaus_autograph.jpg

sammy_white_autograph.jpg

pete_daley_autograph.jpg

dave_sisler_autograph.jpg

bill_monbouquette_autograph.jpg

ted_bowsfield_autograph.jpg

tom_brewer_autograph.jpg

frank_sullivan_autograph.jpg

jackie_jensen_autograph.jpg
</center>Edited by: Jamie Kelso

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From Wikipedia:

The Boston Red Sox were the last major league team to integrate, due to the steadfast resistance provided by owner Tom Yawkey. The Red Sox had refused to consider signing Jackie Robinson after a brief tryout at Fenway Park in April 1945 (spurred by a Boston city councilor, Isadore Muchnik, who threatened to revoke the team's exemption from Sunday blue laws). Yawkey had territorial rights to acquire any player on the Negro Leagues' Birmingham, Alabama, team (the Birmingham Black Barons) passed on the chance to acquire the teenage Willie Mays. The justification that Mays was not the Red Sox's "kind of player".

Yawkey's general managers, fellow Hall of Famers Eddie Collins (through 1947) and Joe Cronin (1948-58) (Yawkey was inducted as an owner in 1980), and Mike "Pinky" Higgins, field manager from 1955-59 and 1960-62, special assistant to the owner 1960, and general manager 1963-65, also enforced the segregationist policy. The club's racist ways, particularly under Higgins after Ted Williams aged and then retired, meant that the team became a perpetual second-division finisher in the American League in the early to mid-1960s. [emphasis added]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_color_line

Quite a racist statement by Wikipedia. The 1986 Mets, the '87 Twins, the '02 Angels, all World Series winners, had nary a black on them. The Astroshad a very successful run of seasonswinning division titles, at times without a single black on the roster. The Rockies just last year. Every season, including this one, predominantly white teams do very well.

BTW, nice selection of baseball cards, Jamie. Had the majority of them at one time before (alas) selling my collection back in 1985 to pay some bills that required attention.Edited by: Don Wassall

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I`m a long-suffering Pittsburgh fan, but I`ve long had a special spot in my baseball fan`s heart for the Boston RedSox.
smiley2.gif

I also enjoyed the cards, Jamie!

By the way, the Detroit Black Tigers fell to 14-18 on the season today.
smiley32.gif

foreverfree

Mentor
IIRC Mookie Wilson was the lone prominent black on the '86 Mets (unless you count George Foster, who was released in midseason when he got too upppity, but he'd become a free agent bust already by then after having some good years in Cincinnati).

The '87 Twinkies had one prominent black that I recall, the then-young Kirby Puckett.

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I shouldn't have used the word "nary" on the post above referring to the '87 Twins, '86 Mets and '02 Angels; I meant hardly any. Garrett Anderson was on the '02 Angels.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Oh, is it still legal to promote white players in any sport?

I thought that even praising one is grounds for accusations of discrimination and favoritism.

example:

white kid: "My favorite baseball player is Mark MacGwire."
brainwashed white kid: "You only like him because he's
white."

white kid: "My favorite basketball player is Steve Nash."
brainwashed white kid: "You only like him because he's
white."

white kid: 'Brian Urlacher is the best linebacker."
brainwashed white kid: "He only gets attention because
he's white."

brainwashed white kid: "My favorite basketball player is
Lebron James."
black kid: "Really? Me too. Him and Kobe."
brainwashed white kid: "I like hip hop. I love Tupac."
black kid: Yeah, me too. Him and Biggie.
brainwashed white kid: "I think that Nash and Dirk only
got MVPs because they're white."
black kid: "Get over it, man, I'll never like you."

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
. The club's racist ways, particularly under Higgins after [/i]&lt;A title="Ted Williams" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Williams"&gt;Ted Williams</font>&lt;/A&gt; aged and then retired, meant that the team became a perpetual second-division finisher in the American League in the early to mid-1960s.  [emphasis added]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_color_line

Misleading as usual. Segregation certainly didn't hurt the Red Sox in the 1950's. They make it sound like the Sox were a hapless team of cluless white guys. However their finishes starting in 1948 were: 2, 2, 3, 6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 5, which is only a couple of "2nd division" finishes. From 1960: 7, 6, 8, 7, 8, 9, 9, 1, when they were "integrated" which just means had a couple of black guys on the roster, they were worse until they won the pennant in 1967 largely because of their white superstar Carl Yasztremski.

The segregaation argument is advanced by many cluless sports idiots like Steve Sailer who also says the Cardinals suffered from the same problem. Of course all of the "segregated" teams got their assess kicked by the lily white Yankees anyway. So that tells me that the formula to success is to find the best white centerfielder in the country, surround him with lots of good white pitchers and fielders and create a dynasty. But for some reason the opposite solution is the one offered.

BTW nice pics JK, and nice posts too!

Solomon Kane

Mentor
great post Jaxvid--I was about to say roughly the same thing about the bosox. But you added the excellent point about the Yanks--*perennial champions and/or contenders with few or no blacks.* The greatest centerfielder of the modern era--Mickey Mantle and the greatest starting pitcher of the modern era--whitey ford. And a host of classy players centered around these two--Maris, Bauer, Skowron, Berra, Boyer. The only Yankee black I can think of from that era was Elston Howard.

Robinson was way overrated, too--the heart of the Brooklyn order was the white guys--Duke Snider, Gil Hodges, etc. Newcombe was the only black starter I could think of.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Solomon Kane said:
great post Jaxvid--I was about to say roughly the same thing about the bosox. But you added the excellent point about the Yanks--*perennial champions and/or contenders with few or no blacks.*

Boston and just about every team in the AL was hapless when compared to the Yanks. From 1947-1958, the Yankees won 10 pennants and 8 World Series.