Arkansas Razorbacks

Samuel Hain

Although the Razorbacks will suck this year I am pleased that former Razorback quarterback Matt Jones was a first round draft pick for Jacksonville. Alas this year we will have a black quarterback and I just dont believe they can compare. They cannot think quick enough like a white quarterback can.

Samuel Hain

As regards college records I would point out that the Razorbacks hold the NCAA records for the most overtimes.

Steve Little also shares the longest field goal at 68 yards although it might be 63.

Samuel Hain

In the loss to Vanderbilt and the crusing blow out to USC the pressure
is on head coach Houston Nutt. Many speculate he will be fired at the
end of the year and Butch Davis hired in his place. Davis recentlt
spoke to the Razorback Club in Little Rock to an overflowing crowd.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Forgive me, but who is Butch Davis, an assistant coach?

Trainer

Colonel_Reb said:
Forgive me, but who is Butch Davis, an assistant coach?

Colonel,

Butch Davis was one of Jimmy Johnson's disciples from way back when. I
think he was with Johnson all the way back to Oklahoma State in the
early 80s' and I know he was an assistant under Johnson at Miami in the
80s'. He was brought to Dallas when JJ became headcoach. Won a couple
of rings with him and than took over as Coach of Miami, but they were
mostly sh*t due to NCAA sanctions and the like.

He recruited well though and this help set Miami up to get back to title contention.

Than he went on to coach Cleveland Browns for a few seasons, but again
they sucked for the most part and he was the fall guy. In comes Romeo
Crennell.

Butch Davis also went to Arkansas where he played LB. So he is a
popular choice to take over for Nutt. He's been around the college and
NFL ranks so I assume he has the coaching ability. He's also a local
Arkansas man so that will go over well for alumni and fans.

I do think Nutt will be gone and Davis in to replace him after this year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope not, Nutt has been one of the most white friendly coaches in the SEC in recent years.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
not so, Colonel! the Hogs have gotten much blacker since Nutt took over. and those "in the know" in the razorback athletic department refer to Nutt as a black man trapped in a white man's body. the fact is, that the ONLY way white guys get a shot at any PT is if they are clearly superior to their black counterparts, and even then it's not a certainty. i'll give a few examples...

#1-Nutt didn't offer a scholarship to either Matt Jones or Jeb Huckeba (both white guys now in the NFL) until AFTER teams like Nebraska, Florida State, and Oklahoma came calling.

#2-Tom Crowder is now on the Cowboys practice squad, fighting to earn a roster spot at wide receiver. he is regarded as the fastest cat in the Cowboys organization, but is "too raw" a player. why? because during his four years at Arkansas he was relegated to WSTD only! despite the fact that he was the fastest dude on the team, had ideal size for a wideout (6'2", 205), and displayed an amazing knack for making the big play. oh yeah, and he had to walk on.

#3-during his tenure at QB for the Hogs, Jones had to endure regular threats to his starting job by numerous underwhelming black QBs. at one point, Nutt even GUARANTEED a black back-up playing time! regardless of his performance, each week he was on the field. of course, the black QB wasn't satisfied with this overwhelming favoritism and transferred. and the guy sucked.

#4-Peyton Hillis is obviously the best football player/athlete on the Hogs roster. throughout the preseason, he was hyped to an unbelievable degree by the local media and the Hog coaches. the fans were told he would get a minimum of 20-25 touches a game...he's averaging 15. and those are ALL on dive plays and passes in the flat. also, he spends a lot of time blocking for guys who aren't as gifted . so is it surprising that Hillis' numbers aren't stellar?

and i haven't mentioned how a black team captain was arrested for being a drug dealer but had never even been disciplined by the coach, or the numerous other black players who were let slide for their abysmal off-the-field behavior (drunk driving, pot use, assault, etc.) because Nutt "knew what was in their heart."

so i'd have to say, beside not being overly friendly to white players, Nutt is just a pathetic coach in general. jeez! and sorry for the tirade.

Samuel Hain

Right you are sir! Many in the state sneeringly refer to the hogs as
the Arkansas Razorblacks! One player even ran a car full of white girls
off the road because he was drunk and left them in the ditch. Sports
talk shows in Arkansas defended him and things got heated when the
father of one of the girls called in. Its been several years ago but I
think it was Carlos Hall.

Another player was arrested for shop lifting in a Dillard`s dept store
and played the next week abd fans laughed and wondered how the Dillard
security guard caught him if he was that fast on the field.

Samuel Hain

Remember that the 70 to 17 loss to USC is the second largest loss in
Razorback history, the worse being in 1918 when the hogs lost 103
to 0 playing the Sooners.

After the news on Sunday night there is a thirty minute program on
channel 7 in Little rock that feature past players who rate the
hogs. (defense, offense, special teams) Nutt got a F in all regards,
the first time that has happened. The Razorback nation is pretty upset.
I knew we were going to lose, and even got blown out, but most assumed
it would be respectible and that the hogh would play hard to redeem
their honor after the loss to Vandie the week before.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the first part of the USC game and was disappointed to see how much blacker Arkansas has become. A couple yearsback they had four white starters on defense and five or six white starters on offense, with of course Matt Jones at QB. Jones' replacement looks like a real loser. Now Peyton Hillis is the only reason I'll followArkansas at all.

I believe what JC says about Nutt. I checked out a few Razorbacks message boards in the spring when some articles about Jones from this site were being debated there, and some argued, quite persuasively,that Nutt underutilized Jones' running ability and otherwise didn't design nearly enough plays to takeadvantage of his strengths. Edited by: Don Wassall

Samuel Hain

Most of the people in the state believe the problem is with Frank
Broyles. I would say far more people hate him they love him. They blame
him for running off previous coaches like Ken Hatfield and Lou Holtz.
There is talk that Nutt may be moved up to assistence athletic director
and pacify him that way. Arkansas was stupid enough to offer him an
extension of his contrat this summer with a hefty raise. I think he
makes 1.2 million a year. Its always bad news when a coach wants to
redo his contract. That means he is expecting a losing year and wants
to protect himself.

hofwired.com is the offical fan site although Ive heard there is an underground site called Fire Houston Nutt dot com.

Samuel Hain

One more thing. There is talk of Arkansas leaving the SEC and joining
the big 12 in the Northern division. Its not new. When Arkansas left
the old southwest conference some wanted to form a new league with
texas and Texas am and some wanted to go to the sec. Critics point out
that the hogs cant recruit in the sec but could recruit a lot better in
the big 12, especially in Texas and OK.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Excuse me gentlemen, but I didn't say Arkansas hadn't gotten blacker as a team. I said Nutt has been one of the most white-friendly coaches in the SEC in recent years. You should know thats relative in this age of the Caste System.

Compared to all other recent SEC head coaches, he has started more whites at more and different positions than any recent coach. His first season was 1998, and they were a relatively white team until this year, when it became visibly evident that weren't any longer. Compared to the rest of the SEC, they were one of the top 3 whitest teams the last several years. Not so this year, but in recent years, yes. The only exception to this might be Bobby Johnson, but he's at Vandy, which has higher standards for admission. Even Johnson has started more blacks than Woody Widenhofer did.

I would never argue that Arkansas hasn't become a blacker and more thuggish team, anyone knows that. I won't even argue that he's a great coach, no doubt he has wrongly used Hillis, Jones, and a few other players, black and white. Arkansas is no different than any other SEC team, but if you look at his teams, Nutt has been one of, if not the most white friendly coach the SEC since 1998. I have watched Arkansas games from the late 1980's, when Arkansas had as many blacks or more playing than any of Nutt's teams, with the exception of this years.

When I think of "white friendly," I ultimately think, someone who starts and plays more whites than most of the other guys. Am I wrong in my interpretation? Please let me know.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
sorry Colonel. i wasn't trying to make a stink. you are right in that Nutt plays more whites than the competition, but i was just letting you know that he hates that fact. if he had his way, it would always be dark at game time.
smiley18.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy wrote:he hates that fact. if he had his way, it would always be dark at game time.

You may be right, Jimmy. I guess we'd have to read his mind to know for sure, but the examples that have been pointed out tend to make people think that he might. I doubt that he wants his team all black though. I think a few coaches are like that, but not him. I think most coaches will do what they think it takes to win, which in some of their Caste System polluted minds, might lead them to think that means having an all black team. I wouldn't claim that Nutt hates all his white players though. On this point, all we really have is our opinion.

Thanks for realizing the point I made earlier! Sometimes we mis-interpret what each of us is trying to say. I know I have before.

Samuel Hain

Robert Jacksom, the dismal black quarterback who took the place of Matt Jones at the university of Arkansas after Matt graduated and was drafted by Jacksonville, has been replaced with a white freshman redshirt. Many in the state wonder why it took so long for Coach Nutt to replace Jackson.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It is past time, Samuel. I am glad he finally made the move!

Samuel Hain

I really think CoachNutt cares about the program, and is an all all around nice guy, but he is a poor coach, although an excellent cheerleader for the U of A. The university system ought to find him a high paying job in the athletic deparment and move him out of coaching,. Have you ever examined Nutt's records verses teams in the top 25? Its not good. They lost to South Caroline, ensuring them a losing season. Once again poor play calling on Nutt's part was responsible. The new white quartertback, Casey Dick, did better in his one game than former black quarterback Robert Johnson, has done in the previous seven.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Arkansas is doing better since Casey Dick took over at QB a couple of weeks back. They walloped Ole Miss last week and Mississippi State this week. Dick has been throwing the ball to Peyton Hillis, and wisely so. Hillis has 353 receiving yards on 36 catches this season, making him just 44 yards short of being the leading reciever. He also has 315 rushing yards on just 65 carries this year, making him just 14 yards shy of being the 3'rd leading rusher. In all purpose yardage, Peyton is 889 yards, making him 3'rd on the team. He leads the team in receptions with 35 and 3'rd in rushing attempts.

Casey Dick has gone 41-71 with 3 picks in his 3 starts. He threw for 436 yards and 6TD's. Not bad for a true freshman. His QB rating is 23 points better than Robert Johnson's, the guy he replaced.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are some Arkansas team pics for you old-time Razorbacks!
1962team.jpg

1964 National Champs
64nchamps.jpg

1964team2.jpg

1965 Southwest Conference Champs
65team.jpg

1969team.jpeg

1978fbteam.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is good news, because the Hogs certainly need a good QB for the future. The one they have now might develop into something good next year, but it is good to have someone like Mustain coming in.

Samuel Hain

Mustain may not be coming in. It created quite the furor in Arkansas
now. Word is he has recently visted Notre dame and may back out of a
previous commitment to go to Arkansas. Its got radio talk shows all
buzzing and people saying the entire razorback coaching staff ought to
be fired in they let the number one high school recruit in the nation,
a player who lives only 15 miles from Fayetteville, go out of state.

Today they announced today that the coach of Springdale, where Mustain
was quarterback, has been hired as Houstan Nutt's offensive coordinator.

In the past Arkansas has set up the run to open up the passing game. Now they will go to shotgun for next year.

More info?

http://www.arsrnonline.com

http://www.hogwired.com