Annual NFL White Purge 2015

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It's just about time to get this thread of depression up-and-running. There is a frequently updated list of waived, cut, ridiculed, whatever players on NFL.com right here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518343/article/nfl-roster-cuts-tracker

Just glancing through, I noticed that QB-Jeff Tuel was given his walking papers by Jacksonville. There are also a few OL camp bodies that were booted. On the bright side, I notice a L'Damian, a "Mister", a LaRon, a DaVaris, a Quayshawne and a few other ridiculous names were cut. Even an "Alfy". I though with names like that they were guaranteed to be gridiron gods! :smile:

It's just about time to get this thread of depression up-and-running. There is a frequently updated list of waived, cut, ridiculed, whatever players on NFL.com right here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000518343/article/nfl-roster-cuts-tracker

Just glancing through, I noticed that QB-Jeff Tuel was given his walking papers by Jacksonville. There are also a few OL camp bodies that were booted. On the bright side, I notice a L'Damian, a "Mister", a LaRon, a DaVaris, a Quayshawne and a few other ridiculous names were cut. Even an "Alfy". I though with names like that they were guaranteed to be gridiron gods! :smile:

I always liked Tuel.Not even Nate Hackett could save him from the impression upon the Caste Clowns made by this bum of a useless black quarterback :

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...stephen-morris-earns-10000-from-adidas/ndnPk/

Maybe this 7th string RB masquerading as a QB gave Greg Olson a cut of the money Adidas paid him for his "impressive" combine showing.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The first round of cuts hasn't been bad so far. It's always the final cuts that sting.

PHillisFan

Master

PHillisFan

Master
Ryan Spadola was unable to crack Cards roster. He was always a solid receiver.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Ryan Spadola was unable to crack Cards roster. He was always a solid receiver.

He impressed me as a rookie on the Jets but fat rex cut him. Patriots should give him a look. I know we say that about almost every skill players but hey Patriots the rare team that plays white skill players!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He impressed me as a rookie on the Jets but fat rex cut him. Patriots should give him a look. I know we say that about almost every skill players but hey Patriots the rare team that plays white skill players!

Unfortunately even the Patriots are moving the wrong direction demographically. Same with the Eagles who may be phasing out their White receivers (Cooper and Maehl, who never played much anyway). Would be nice if Jeff Janis is given a fair opportunity and takes advantage of it.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Jeff Tarpinian, who had gone into camp listed as a co-starter at ILB for the Texans was one of the early cut casualties. Adam Schiltz, a TE prospect for the Chiefs was also given the heave-ho. I thought he might stick. Also, Joe Vellano was released by the Patriots. With Wilfork gone to TX, I thought he might make the roster.

Vinnie Sunseri was released by the Saints. That one stings! We need more crackas in the secondary.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Jeff Tarpinian, who had gone into camp listed as a co-starter at ILB for the Texans was one of the early cut casualties. Adam Schiltz, a TE prospect for the Chiefs was also given the heave-ho. I thought he might stick. Also, Joe Vellano was released by the Patriots. With Wilfork gone to TX, I thought he might make the roster.

Vinnie Sunseri was released by the Saints. That one stings! We need more crackas in the secondary.

Wow how was Sunseri cut. He is better than the overrated vacarro. Screw the NFL and it annual white purge of talented players.

Wow how was Sunseri cut. He is better than the overrated vacarro. Screw the NFL and it annual white purge of talented players.

Vacarro should be cut just for having an Italian last name.Disgrazia !!!! Come to think of it though,this seems to be a disturbing trend.The Toucan's last name would be Russo had he not been adopted.Then again,every time I saw Orlando Pace I used to think WTF is this ???

On a serious note DB was the very first target of the Caste System.I started following the NFL religiously in 1979 and from that time right up to the present day,I can only remember 2 white CBs(Tim Fox and Jason Sehorn)and maybe a handful of white CBs even being drafted and then switched immediately to Safety as the Bills did with Matt Stevens.These days,even white safeties are rare and are getting more so with each passing season.We all know of the greatness of Eric Weddle,but guys like Vinnie Sunseri are constanly getting screwed over.I remember watching a couple of Buccaneers games back in '08 & '09 and noting the tremendous play each time of Sabby Piscitelli only to hear the announcers constantly vilify him.Even Jim Leonhard got screwed for years until Fat Rex of all people started using him properly.

P.S.> Jeff Nixon is still the best Safety I've ever seen play in an NFL game.He singlehandedly changed the outcome of games way before Polamalu was doing it.Sadly,his career was very brief due to a couple of serious injuries AND he's an Oil Driller.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Vacarro should be cut just for having an Italian last name.Disgrazia !!!! Come to think of it though,this seems to be a disturbing trend.The Toucan's last name would be Russo had he not been adopted.Then again,every time I saw Orlando Pace I used to think WTF is this ???

On a serious note DB was the very first target of the Caste System.I started following the NFL religiously in 1979 and from that time right up to the present day,I can only remember 2 white CBs(Tim Fox and Jason Sehorn)and maybe a handful of white CBs even being drafted and then switched immediately to Safety as the Bills did with Matt Stevens.These days,even white safeties are rare and are getting more so with each passing season.We all know of the greatness of Eric Weddle,but guys like Vinnie Sunseri are constanly getting screwed over.I remember watching a couple of Buccaneers games back in '08 & '09 and noting the tremendous play each time of Sabby Piscitelli only to hear the announcers constantly vilify him.Even Jim Leonhard got screwed for years until Fat Rex of all people started using him properly.

P.S.> Jeff Nixon is still the best Safety I've ever seen play in an NFL game.He singlehandedly changed the outcome of games way before Polamalu was doing it.Sadly,his career was very brief due to a couple of serious injuries AND he's an Oil Driller.

CB Scott Case was drafted in the second round by the Falcons in '84 and had a long career, making All Pro in '88 (should have made it more than just the one season). After that it was a long drought until Sehorn was drafted in the second round in '94 and given a chance (in his third season after being a backup safety his first two seasons), and since Jason. . . nothing.

Piscitelli was a physical freak, but White safeties are permanently despised the first time they miss a tackle or take a bad angle, while black DBs stumble and bumble around continuously and it's almost never pointed out by the same media clowns who vilify the White ones.

Adam Archuleta was roundly hated despite being very talented. Chris Conte is another, I'd say it's an Italian thing but all White safeties other than Weddle and Harrison Smith are mocked and hated on, and it took a long time for Weddle to finally gain some respect. The Steelers drafted safety Scott Shields in the second round in 1999. He was 6'4" and 225 pounds and could run like a deer. Kid made a couple of mistakes in his first training camp and next thing you know the media began mocking him, quickly followed by the DWFs. He became a running punch line, was deep on the bench his rookie season and then cut the next year and was out of the NFL.

Upside

Mentor

I think both Sunseri and Tarpinan were cut because they were injured. In the article I read about Sunseri, they say the Saints will likely retain his rights if he clears waivers, but he'll be placed on IR. I really hope another team picks him up, because even at full health, I don't see him getting a chance with New Orleans.

Glen Carson also cut. As well as Travis Labhart.

CB Scott Case was drafted in the second round by the Falcons in '84 and had a long career, making All Pro in '88 (should have made it more than just the one season). After that it was a long drought until Sehorn was drafted in the second round in '94 and given a chance (in his third season after being a backup safety his first two seasons), and since Jason. . . nothing.

Piscitelli was a physical freak, but White safeties are permanently despised the first time they miss a tackle or take a bad angle, while black DBs stumble and bumble around continuously and it's almost never pointed out by the same media clowns who vilify the White ones.

Adam Archuleta was roundly hated despite being very talented. Chris Conte is another, I'd say it's an Italian thing but all White safeties other than Weddle and Harrison Smith are mocked and hated on, and it took a long time for Weddle to finally gain some respect. The Steelers drafted safety Scott Shields in the second round in 1999. He was 6'4" and 225 pounds and could run like a deer. Kid made a couple of mistakes in his first training camp and next thing you know the media began mocking him, quickly followed by the DWFs. He became a running punch line, was deep on the bench his rookie season and then cut the next year and was out of the NFL.

I forgot about Scott Case and I shouldn't have !!! The Bills played the Falcons in 1989 and I remember getting angered by the game announcers lavish praise of the then rookie Deion Sanders who had been handed a starting spot leaving Case relagated to nickel corner,eventually to be moved to Safety the following season.This was the infamous game where they claimed that Sanders "caught" Don Beebe from way behind on a late KO return when Beebe had actually intentionally slowed down due to his awareness of the time remaining on the clock.In order to catch Beebe from way behind,one would have to have sub 3.5 speed in the 40 at a minimum,which as we know,is impossible.

Yes,Case was one of the ultimate Caste screw jobs.If I recall correctly,in his Pro Bowl season,he had a double digit interception total.Insane !!!! I don't think that overrated show-off Sanders ever had a double-digit INT season and he was quite a liability against the run.I mentioned Jeff Nixon earlier and he's a pretty obscure player that many outside of Bills fans have never heard of.In true Caste fashion,he was screwed going into and coming out of college.He had great size,was athletically off the charts,and very smart.He should've been a 1st round pick,but was finally taken in the 4th round in 1979 only because Chuck Knox insisited on it.Knox had earlier drafted Nolan Cromwell and Bill Simpson and even got Simpson to come out of his Caste imposed retirement to join the Bills after Nixon was initially injured.

The write ups to be found about Nixon all claim that his career was ended by a knee injury in 1984,but that's not true.He first injured his knee 7 games into the 1980 season and then tried playing on it for 20 games over the next 2 seasons.The knee was so bad it had to be drained before and after each game he participated in.He then finally had a couple of procedures done,missed a whole season and promptly re-injured it in the '84 pre-season and had to retire.A crying shame if I'd ever witnessed one.Up until that knee injury,he participated in 23 games,starting 9 of those,as he only started the last 4 games of his rookie year.In that tiny body of work,he managed ELEVEN interceptions !!!! Had he stayed healthy,he would've surely gone down in history as one of the greatest Ball Hawks of all time.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

Dustin Fox was a big-name starting CB for Ohio State from 2001-2004. The Buckeyes won the NCAA National Title in 2002 and he was one of several white star players on the team. Despite being a track athlete, having a great football pedigree, and running great 40 times, Fox was only drafted in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] round by the Vikings in 2005. On draft day, I distinctly remember Fox being listed with an “Sâ€￾ behind his name, not a “CB.â€￾ He was immediately injured in Minnesota, released, and bounced around practice squads with the Bills and Eagles…

Dustin-Fox-tips-kick-vs-Purdue-2003.jpg

There have been a few other whites players (all safeties) to have played the cornerback position for in spot duty. Scott McGarrahan was a nickle CB for the Titans back in 2004...

TEN-0442100-H.jpg

Before he was a star WR, Julian Edelman played nickle CB for the Patriots during the 2011 season...

10510217-large.jpg

Colin Jones played nickle CB last year for the Panthers...

461014212-larry-fitzgerald-of-the-arizona-cardinals-gettyimages.jpg

PHillisFan

Master
I remember when Buffalo had the likes of Mark Kelso and Kurt Shulz. Those were the days.

TwentyTwo

Master
Bringing back some memories with all of those names...other Corner Backs that came to mind as a kid; were John Mangum (Alabama) excellent college CB only abt 5'-10" 180...yet the NFL/Bears/9 seasons moved him to Safety...& Stan Smagala(Notre Dame) with his 4.3 speed(5'-11" 184) played for the Cowboys; but had injury plagued career...little did I know that was only the beginning of the white CB purge...

Here is an old college clip...his 64 yd TD INT on USC's Rodney Peete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzEU6tZA8Q4

Don Boyd Odegard (UNLV/Bengals/NY Jets) was a back-up CB for a few years "90-92"

Kevin Kaesviharn played CB before moving to Safety

Currently long-shot ex-safety & ex-CB Tom Nelson (Ravens) is trying to revive his career playing WR (looked good vs Saints in pre-season)....

Ourlads Packers depth chart listed Kyle Sebetic as a Corner Back...would like to see him stick on the 53-man roster

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i'm on a bit of a BYU kick, and they had two fleet-footed corners relatively recently who were both completely shunned by the NFL due to their lack of melanin.

if i recall correctly, Brandon Heaney and Nate Soelberg were both the fastest cornerbacks in their respective draft classes. despite that, neither got so much as a cup of coffee in the League.

there was a White cornerback who played for Vanderbilt back in the early 2000s, but his name escapes me at the moment. i had the opportunity to see him play in person on one occasion at Arkansas, and he was an actual (compared to the oft-used hyperbole) shutdown corner. he literally took away half the field in the passing game in the vaunted SEC. yet he didn't get a smell of gameday action in the NFL, despite all his ability.

I remember Dustin Fox.He's Tim Fox's nephew.He bounced around here for a couple of years after originally being signed to the practice squad as a WR,but then quickly was switched back to DB.He appeared in a handful of games over his first two seasons and then was cut at final cutdowns in what would've been his third one.It's too bad it didn't work out for him here in Buffalo.If any one were to give him a fair shot it would be Dick Jauron,a former white DB himself.Jauron's defenses in his 3+ seasons here featured as many as 6 white starters at one time,so go figure.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Another white player that was featured as an NFL CB on a limited basis was former PSU WR, Ethan Kilmer. During his only NFL season (with the Bengals in 2006), Kilmer even had a 52-yard interception return for a TD against Drew Brees...

[video=youtube;x3AvS5IBNbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3AvS5IBNbM[/video]

At present, our best chance to see a white CB is Panthers nickleback, Colin Jones. The speedy Jones has been out with what was feared to be a serious groin injury, but thankfully, he returned to practice and is moving well. Jones receives high praise in this article, which repeatedly calls him a CB and refers to him as "one of the fastest players on the team"...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/po...pecial-teams-ace-colin-jones-big-for-panthers

Anyway, back to the "purge." Add Eagles WR GJ Kinne, and Panthers TE Dallas Walker to the list.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here's another link to a cut-tracker run by the nerds at SB Nation. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/...ter-cuts-tracker-final-53-man-roster-deadline

From what I can see, the NFL one that I linked above shows all of the cuts, not just this cutdown, which makes it kind of confusing.

So far we've lost G-Moffit from the Eagles, a punter and a kicker. The depression level should kick up later today and tomorrow. I actually hope that the Eagles keep Tebow and release Barkley. If Tebow is cut, his chances of catching on somewhere are slim, while Barkley won't clear waivers before he is scooped up.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I think Tebow makes the roster. They signed Tim for a reason...because they were not completely sold on Barkley. Tebow won the job fair and square, so hopefully Barkley moves on an has great success elsehwere.

Will Eagles WR, Jeff Maehl, will make the squad? Most seem to believe that Agholor, Matthews, Huff, Cooper, Austin, and Ajirotutu will be the 6 WR's to make the team. I could see Maehl making the team instead of Ajirotutu or Austin.

Will Packers WR, Jared Abbrederis make the roster? Unlikley, as he's barely practiced. If the Packers keep 6 WR's, he might have an outside chance.

Some experts seem to think that Patriots reserve safety, Nate Ebner, will be cut. I don't buy it, as Ebner is their most important special teams player and a quality reserve DB. Hopefully he sticks.

Will Bills WR, Chris Hogan, make the roster? The consensus is that Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Goodwin, Easley, and Thigpen will be the top 6 WR's. After such a promising 2014 season, I hope he proves everyone wrong.