400 meter depth

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
As of this week, 4 of the 6 fastest American 400 meter runners are white. This is realy amazing, and probably hasn't happened in 40 years.
1-Jeremy Wariner 44.12
3-Andrew Rock44.89
5-Mitch Potter45.06
6-Matt Scherer45.19

This is no early season fluke either. These are very fast times. I would love to see them run together as a relay team.

devans

Mentor
I think this just goes to show the power of positive role models for young people. I think Wariner has made the others realise that they can be the best and they have no excuse for being mediocre or second best. One exceptional athlete can inspire so many others. Hopefully this is just the start.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
The success of Wariner may already be having a positive effect....just checked the High School lists for 2006, and the #2 and #5 (JT Scheureman and Lukas Hulett) 400m runners in US are white.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Now if we can only break through with a couple of US Sprinters in the 100 and 200 meters.The 100 will be a very tough one to crack.There is no place in the world where it is as tough to make an Olympic Team as in the United States.We need someone to step up and make people belive that it is possible.No one would have thought that Wariner or any other white sprinter could go sub 44 seconds in the 400 just 3 years ago!Now they know it has been done and will be done many more times.We need a 100/200 meter guy bad to inspire the youth of this country.Maybe one of these high school kids will continue to run in and progress.I keeping my fingers crossed!

white is right

Hall of Famer
I always found the lack of white 400 metre runners strange. It's an endurance event which should favour caucasian runners. All you have to look at the 800 metres and most of the champions have been white or caucasian arabs(over the last few worlds and olympics). Seeing white kids breaking through is what should have been happening for years........
smiley5.gif

surfsider

Guru
England is developing some good 400 runners. Martyn Rooney broke Roger Black's under 20 record going 45.35 in March I believe.