2023 World Outdoor Season

white lightning

Hall of Famer
From my sources I hear Matthew Boling will be entered in the mens 400 meters this Friday at the USATF New York City Grand Prix. I
haven't seen any start lists yet so I can't confirm this. He may try to make the US Team in the 400 which is almost as difficult as in
the 100 or 200 meters. At this point I understand he is kind of a little desparate. Can't blame him but it's been my fear all along that
they would move the best white US Born Sprinter we have ever seen to the 400 or even the 800 meters. To be honest I think I would
prefer he just goes to Europe for experience so he can run both the 100 and 200 meters to try and get his confidence and form back. That
probably won't happen but if it's the 400 only for now I will still root for him. Hope next year is different but I think most people around
him are like the anti white track fans all over youtube begging him to leave the 100 & 200 meters. It's not because they wish him well either
in my honest opinion. Maybe not all but most. I've seen so much hate from the fans commenting on his races.

I was right. Here is the starting list for the Mens 400 Meters tommorow at the USATF NYC Grand Prix:

Start List​

Ln/Pos
Athlete
PB
SB
GBR.png
GBR
MICHAEL OHIOZE
Great Britain
USA.png
USA
MATTHEW BOLING
United States

USA.png
USA
NOAH WILLIAMS
United States
JAM.png
JAM
ZANDRION BARNES
Jamaica
JAM.png
JAM
SEAN BAILEY
Jamaica
USA.png
USA
TREVOR STEWART
United States
JAM.png
JAM
KARAYME BARTLEY
Jamaica

white lightning

Hall of Famer
White men can not only jump high, long but also triple jump!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
NORWAY VIKING POWER!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Given how poorly (relatively) Boling has been running in the 100m and 200m this season, I think it might be a good thing for him to run the 400m today. If he puts up a good time, it could give him back some confidence. He has run well on the 4x400m relays, so I hope he does well today.

sprintstar

Mentor
Germany wins 4x100m relay, Tortu closed like an f16 Viper and almost caught second, Kilty runs good and Bromby out duels Ceccarelli....

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Germany wins 4x100m relay, Tortu closed like an f16 Viper and almost caught second, Kilty runs good and Bromby out duels Ceccarelli....
Yes, I was surprised that Ceccarelli didn't do better. His top end speed in the relay was not impressive at all. Tortu, on the other hand, looked to have the best top end speed of anyone, yet he is running crap times in the individual races. Strange.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes, I was surprised that Ceccarelli didn't do better. His top end speed in the relay was not impressive at all. Tortu, on the other hand, looked to have the best top end speed of anyone, yet he is running crap times in the individual races. Strange.
Strangely enough Canada had a relay runner who was similar in the 90's he was a mediocre individual runner who never made out of the early rounds but was a formidable bend runner. Glenroy Gilbert is now the national team relay coach and his exploits in the relay are the main reason that he was given the chance to coach the team.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Let's hope that on Sunday the final day of the Euro Team Champs that Filippo Tortu can get a new seasons best of 20.20 or lower!
He was flying on that last relay leg. So was Yannick Wolf. A fine young sprinter. That was fun to watch. Hope the 200 is the same way!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Abby Steiner wins the NYC Grand Prix 200m, with an excellent time of 22.19.
Jenna Prandini was third in 22.51.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Given how poorly (relatively) Boling has been running in the 100m and 200m this season, I think it might be a good thing for him to run the 400m today. If he puts up a good time, it could give him back some confidence. He has run well on the 4x400m relays, so I hope he does well today.
Boling takes 2nd in the 400m at the NYC Grand Prix, running a good time of 45.58.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Abby Steiner wins the NYC Grand Prix 200m, with an excellent time of 22.19.
Jenna Prandini was third in 22.51.

This is exciting. She is starting to get back to her form from last year. Man I love to watch her run! So dominant when she is in shape!

Great to see Devon Allen get 2nd in the Mens 110 Hurdles in a time of 13.04 wind legal. I must say he has handled himself like a true
gentleman on and off the track. He lost his dad and we all know how he was screwed over with that false start in the championships.
He is still aging like a fine wine. Keep it up Devon! We all know the NFL never gave you a fair chance.

What happened to Trey Cunningham. Haven't seen him run all year? Was excited to see him run as he is my favorite hurdler!

Texas Flash

45.58 for Boling in the 400m to take second. At first that doesnt sound very good, but they gave his splits:

100m 10.68
200m 21.12
300m 32.69
400m 45.58

He was in first place until the final 100m. The winning time was 45.05. He definitely is in 44-point shape. Matthew Boling also has timing so this was not a blown race - these splits were intentional. He was running it as a sprinter working the endurance part. I guess that's what they felt he needed for his 200s. Seems a bit strange though.

I'm pretty sure he wants to go pro now. Unfortunately at the pro level he really is nothing at the moment. There wont be much in the way of endorsement deals. Meanwhile, if he stays in college he's a champion that makes a lot off of NLI deals. The only way he goes pro at this point is if he has a great summer and sets some PRs. Really he needs to make the WC team and relays are the easiest way. Of course, the way he ran this 400 didnt really look like he was trying to get a qualifying time. A bit perplexing.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
18 year old Polish Sprinter Marek Zakrzewski ran a 10.33 +0.6 today just 1/100th of a second away from tieing his p.b. set last year.
Hope he can break into the 10.20's soon and then stay there. I know he is young but slow and steady keep improving. We have seen
too many young sprinters fade away from all over the world both white & black. Some guys keep progressing & others don't. I have
no doubts he will get better. He has already run 20;78 into a negative wind. For 18 that is a good time over in Europe.

Texas Flash

45.58 for Boling in the 400m to take second. At first that doesnt sound very good, but they gave his splits:

100m 10.68
200m 21.12
300m 32.69
400m 45.58

He was in first place until the final 100m. The winning time was 45.05. He definitely is in 44-point shape. Matthew Boling also has timing so this was not a blown race - these splits were intentional. He was running it as a sprinter working the endurance part. I guess that's what they felt he needed for his 200s. Seems a bit strange though.

I'm pretty sure he wants to go pro now. Unfortunately at the pro level he really is nothing at the moment. There wont be much in the way of endorsement deals. Meanwhile, if he stays in college he's a champion that makes a lot off of NLI deals. The only way he goes pro at this point is if he has a great summer and sets some PRs. Really he needs to make the WC team and relays are the easiest way. Of course, the way he ran this 400 didnt really look like he was trying to get a qualifying time. A bit perplexing.
looks like there was good wind for all of the 100m and 200m races at the meet. This means the 400m races went into the wind at the start - always bad for times. Maybe he was a bit too amped up on that first 100m and then had his strength sapped on the backstretch while going into the wind and then had nothing left...Still, he's way too experienced with all the 400 relays he's done to make that kind of mistake. Very strange. 10.68 is just way too fast to go out in if you're looking for a qualifying time.

white lightning

Hall of Famer

That was fun to watch and I enjoyed the interview at the end. She is such a sweet lady and man is she talented!

Sometimes I wonder if Matthew Boling had Steiners Coach back in college how different he would have turned out? Boling
has similar talent but has not been handled in the right way. He has had small flashes of greatness while Steiner has been
consistantly one of the best sprinters in college and now as a pro. Coaching is huge!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Boling takes 2nd in the 400m at the NYC Grand Prix, running a good time of 45.58.
Based on this interview, it seems Boling has already turned pro and will focus on the 200m and 400m in the future.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think that one reason many sprinters like Fred Kerley move to the 100/200 from the 400 meters is it's alot easier physically on the body
for bigger muscular guys especially. Boling is very muscular similar to Kerley. He looked like he ran a marathon today. If he was going to
run the 400 fulltime he should lose some weight and muscle. Boling is bullt like a 100 and 200 meter sprinter. He was born to do it. That
doesn't mean that he will but if I coached him this would not be happening. He ran good today but he has a better chance in the lower
sprints events. Do you know how good guys like Wayde Van NieKierk are? It's a whole different level. Boling is too big to run that distance
all the time. He has 400 meters talent without a doubt but if he chose to stay there he needs to slim down more like Wariner.

I think he would have a better chance to make the team over 200. He can go all out assuming he is in shape in two weeks for the trials.
No matter what distance it's a long shot but why not try it? Then no matter what happens go to Europe in July or August to get some
races in before the season ends over 100 and 200 meters where he should be racing!

freedom1

Mentor
I think that one reason many sprinters like Fred Kerley move to the 100/200 from the 400 meters is it's alot easier physically on the body
for bigger muscular guys especially. Boling is very muscular similar to Kerley. He looked like he ran a marathon today. If he was going to
run the 400 fulltime he should lose some weight and muscle. Boling is bullt like a 100 and 200 meter sprinter. He was born to do it. That
doesn't mean that he will but if I coached him this would not be happening. He ran good today but he has a better chance in the lower
sprints events. Do you know how good guys like Wayde Van NieKierk are? It's a whole different level. Boling is too big to run that distance
all the time. He has 400 meters talent without a doubt but if he chose to stay there he needs to slim down more like Wariner.

I think he would have a better chance to make the team over 200. He can go all out assuming he is in shape in two weeks for the trials.
No matter what distance it's a long shot but why not try it? Then no matter what happens go to Europe in July or August to get some
races in before the season ends over 100 and 200 meters where he should be racing!
Yes, good points. I mean, look at the build on that Norwegian kid who won the 400 today, very lightly muscled.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This 2nd Viking Warrior from Norway needs his own thread very shortly. I'm almost tempted to start one right now but
maybe another member will want to do a write up on him. To run a 44.88 at 20 years of age is amazing! He is
special and we haven't seen but the icing on the cake so far.

Håvard Bentdal INGVALDSEN is gonna be a Superstar
proxy-image

Last edited: