2023 World Outdoor Season

Mielie23

Guru
Thank you for the good wishes. He is in good spirit and has started working fulltime writing apps. We are keeping safe and avoid the areas that are bad. I will keep you updated on the other athletes and send results as they become available. At least we have power running a generator in our blackout times.
I thought you guys might like this

U/18 South African Championship run at sea level in Durban.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Armand Van der Walt 19 years old. Under 20 and national champion in the 200 apparently.

Quite impressive

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have always loved sprinting since I was a kid. I loved to run fast myself and also watch others. I jusr really enjoy speed in sports and in
cars. I love fast cars and have owned many of them. :) Ok back to my point about sprinting.

I was thinking about how the majority of guys that go sub 10 usually run the 60 meters in times of 6.40's to the low 6.50's range. Time after
time the majority of sprinters are like this from around the world. That's why indoors is such a great measuring stick for success outdoors.

The thing is there are always some sprinters although not many that are average starters. You could even say slow 60 meters guys for a potential world class sprinter. One example is Austin Kresley. He only has a 60 meters personal best time of 6.71 from earlier this year. Yet
he just ran 10.10 wind legal outdoors and it's early in the season. Like Boling and others his 2nd half of his races is insane. Even Carl Lewis
was never known to be a good starter his whole career. He almost always walked down other sprinters to win the races. Boling shows this
same skill along with Kresley. Now Boling and Lemaitre are faster than Kresley easily in the 60 but they are still not really the best starters.

It's the 2nd half of races over 100 meters that separates the men from the boys. Whatever sprinter holds his speed longer. Kresley has this
down to an art form. Again he only has a 6.71 p.b. yet is approaching running a sub 10 possibly this summer. Amazing to think about.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A white kid won the adult final

I was thinking about Armand Van Der Walt who won the 200 meters championship. He is 19 years of age and has personal best times of
10.35 and 20.49! Here is the odd part about this season. He has run the 200 meters races 10 times this season. Then over the 100 meters
he has only run twice. In those 2 races he ran 10.19 at altiltude and 10.35. Why won't South Africa let him run the 100 meters more? It's
just odd despite his talent over 200 meters. He should be doing both to increase his talent as an all around sprinter. He also could add
some weight training for strength as he is very skinny. To watch him run though is like an art form. So smooth with a fast turnover and
a very long stride. So much talent but I hope he has the right coaching around him as that can make or break the kid.

Last edited:

sprintstar

Mentor
Carl Lewis was a drug/PED user his whole pro career, he should have been suspended numerous times over his career for cheating. The only guy in Ben Johnson's 1988 race came last......

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Carl Lewis was a drug/PED user his whole pro career, he should have been suspended numerous times over his career for cheating. The only guy in Ben Johnson's 1988 race came last......

Yes I agree but he did have a very long and amazing career. I have no doubt he used peds. Allan Wells beat him before he went
on the magical potions. Of course Ben Johnson, Tim Montgomery, Mo Greene, Justin Gatlin and too many others to count. Don't
even get me started on the yamaicans. Haha.

I was just pointing out that Lewis like the others we a 2nd half 100 meters guy. The only reason I brought him up. Not a fan of his but
even with the magical potions Lewis was never a good starter or a great 60 meters guy. His speed endurance was just better than most
and he had alot of help with that as so many other sprinters around the world have done as well sadly.

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, interesting point. Carl's PB in the 100 is 9.86, but his 60 meter best is 6.60. 6.60 is not bad, but you don't think of 6.60 guy being able to run a 9.86.

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Yes, interesting point. Carl's PB in the 100 is 9.86, but his 60 meter best is 6.60. 6.60 is not bad, but you don't think of 6.60 guy being able to run a 9.86.
I always thought another interesting sprinter was Michael Johnson. He had a 19.32 pb in the 200 yet only ran a 10.09 pb in the 100. Not sure how often he ran the 100 though.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Johnson was a 400m / 200m sprinter. I believe he rarely ran the 100m.
I don't recall Carl Lewis ever competing in the 60m. Obviously he did, but rarely I think.

booth

Mentor
Edwin Van Wyk ran a 10.14 100 and a 20.89 200, on March 25. Neither time was legal due to the wind.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Edwin Van Wyk ran a 10.14 100 and a 20.89 200, on March 25. Neither time was legal due to the wind.

Impressive time for a school that I’ve never heard of. Another fast white South African !

freedom1

Mentor
Something is up. Matthew is not running up to his potential

kennesaw-st.png

Nicholas Mabilo
Kennesaw State [FR]
1.0 m/s
3 (1)
carson-newman.png

Makanakaishe Charamba
Carson-Newman [SO]
0.6 m/s
1 (1)
georgia.png

Matthew Boling
Georgia [JR]
0.6 m/s
1 (2)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What has Matthew Bolings Coach done to the kid? High School Sprinters can beat him now. I think she focused way too much on
the 400 meters and then just too many races. I think after this weekend he will be at like 13 or 14 races in 3 or 4 weeks. How dumb
is that? I didn't even want him to run today. I said in another post to rest the kid fof a couple of weeks. I guess his coach "the rocket
scientist" knew better and put him out there again. It's like a humiliation tour. Maybe she is trying to force him to give up the 100?

All I know is that Boling needs to leave Georgia and find a REAL WORLD CLASS COACH. What a waste of epic talent. I would be willing
to bet that many of us track guys here could coach him alot better than he has been handled. So sad and I'm just disgusted.

At this time last year over the same 2 week period Boling ran a 9.98 and a week later a 19.92! What did she do to the kid? :smash2:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well a few days ago I was complaining that Armand Van Der Walt has run the 200 meters on 10 occasions this year. He had only
run the 100 meters twice until yesterday. He just broke his personal best tme in the 100 and lowered it down to a 10.30 +0.4!

This kid has no wind or negative wind every time he races. So strange but it's a good thing as it makes him work harder to get faster.
This race was only his 3rd 100 meters of the season. He has now run 10.19A, 10.35 and now 10.30. I think we can safely say he is ready
for the 10.20's now and at 19 time is on his side!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Abby Steiner wins the 200m at the Michael Johnson Invitational in 22.30 (1.5w).
That's the 3rd fastest 200m time this year (and she has also run the 2nd fastest 200m time this year).
So at least she is still on track for a good season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Abby Steiner wins the 200m at the Michael Johnson Invitational in 22.30 (1.5w).
That's the 3rd fastest 200m time this year (and she has also run the 2nd fastest 200m time this year).
So at least she is still on track for a good season.

Yes excellent times and especially for only April. Can we please have her coach take over for Matthew Boling. I'm begging you.
I'm so angry about what has been done to him. First white american sprinter to go sub 10 and sub 20 wind legal so they don't
want that. It would wake up too many other kids to the lies that only blacks can run fast. His coaching has been idiotic this season.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Surprised to see that the fastest U18 (under 18yrs old) so far this year in the 100m, is Yat Lok-Chan from Hong Kong.
He has run 10.40.
Werner Bezuidenhout of South Africa is the fastest white U18, with a time of 10.45.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The spring has been going by quick but not quick enough. I'm ready for some European Track Action. We haven't seen any
of the big stars that we follow yet but in May that will change all around the globe. One day on my calendar that is marked
already is May 3rd. The Sparkassen Gala Regensburgh in Germany will kick off the season for many of the top german sprinters
as well as other european track stars. Anxious to see how some of our guys do. I do believe Julian Wagner will be ready to start
the season off on the right foot. Hoping some other German Sprinters step it up this year like the beautiful Gina Luckenkemper.
She is the reigning European Champion in the 100 meters running that 10.99! She has a p.b. of 10.95!

Mielie23

Guru
I was thinking about Armand Van Der Walt who won the 200 meters championship. He is 19 years of age and has personal best times of
10.35 and 20.49! Here is the odd part about this season. He has run the 200 meters races 10 times this season. Then over the 100 meters
he has only run twice. In those 2 races he ran 10.19 at altiltude and 10.35. Why won't South Africa let him run the 100 meters more? It's
just odd despite his talent over 200 meters. He should be doing both to increase his talent as an all around sprinter. He also could add
some weight training for strength as he is very skinny. To watch him run though is like an art form. So smooth with a fast turnover and
a very long stride. So much talent but I hope he has the right coaching around him as that can make or break the kid.
I agree that he needs to run more 100m'. This is solely his and his coach that decide his program.