2023 Wimbledon

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We saw history today as the first unseeded Female Tennis Player in Wimbledon History won her first Grand Slam. Congrats
to Marketa Vondrousova on this epic achievment. Can you imagine the money you would have won on betting on her to win this?

white lightning

Hall of Famer

i

Quiet Speed

Mentor
The Djokovic-Alcaraz match really is intriguing.

Congrats to the lanky lefty, Vondrousova. When Jabeur reeled off the first two games of the first set, I was fearful the match was going to be routine for her. Vondrousova settled down and got into a little groove and then proceeded to take the match right away from Jabeur.

Matra2

Master
Great match. I was hoping Djokovic would win if for no other reason than to rub MSM noses in it, as they've been particularly hateful of late. Apparently the British commentator Andrew Castle - a former very minor player from the 80s - was so negative towards everything Djokovic did several prominent people called him out on it on Twitter. Even Nick Kyrgios said he was ruining the match.

As for the women, I watched the highlights. To me it looked like Jabeur choked. She was constantly making unforced errors, especially hitting it wide. She was clearly the media favourite - "she's playing for all the girls of the Arab world" seems to be their constant line. I remember them saying that last year too.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
It was an outstanding match. The second set was a classic with the tie-breaker having some edge-of-your-seat rallies. Alcaraz is the present and future. Congrats to him. US Open next. Go, Djokovic!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
While I'm happy for Alcarez, I'm very sad for Djokovic. At 36 he doesn't have too many chances left. I really wanted him to grasp the
bull by the horns and find a way. When it went to the 5th set I felt he had it won but give credit to the young superstar Alcarez.

icsept

Master
It’s not close to being over for Djokovic. He won the Australian and French, then went 5 sets in the Wimbledon final. Alcaraz is impressive at his best. The key is whether he can sustain such a high level for years or decades like Djokovic. Highly unlikely.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We saw history today as the first unseeded Female Tennis Player in Wimbledon History won her first Grand Slam. Congrats
to Marketa Vondrousova on this epic achievment. Can you imagine the money you would have won on betting on her to win this?

Emma Raducanu was a wildcard entry in 2021 and ranked outside the top 300 when she won Wimbledon just two years ago. She defeated Leylah Fernandez in the final, another girl who came out of nowhere. Both have pretty much disappeared since that fluke final. Vondrousova winning is a great story but it's also indicative of how weak women's tennis continues to be, in stark contrast to the men's game which has had a 20 year run of domination by three of the greatest players ever with the great Novak the last man standing (unless Nadal can come back).

Djokovic played his heart out but I agree he's far from finished even though Father Time is lurking larger and larger in the background.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Emma Raducanu was a wildcard entry in 2021 and ranked outside the top 300 when she won Wimbledon just two years ago. She defeated Leylah Fernandez in the final, another girl who came out of nowhere. Both have pretty much disappeared since that fluke final. Vondrousova winning is a great story but it's also indicative of how weak women's tennis continues to be, in stark contrast to the men's game which has had a 20 year run of domination by three of the greatest players ever with the great Novak the last man standing (unless Nadal can come back).

Djokovic played his heart out but I agree he's far from finished even though Father Time is lurking larger and larger in the background.

I rewatched the match this evening, while I give the Spaniard his due credit , fact is that Novak cost himself this match.
In the 5th, he had the opportunity to break point to go up 2-0, which would've more or less secured the W but, he unforced error. And that wasn't the only instance when he cost himself momentum.