2023 state HS football champions

jphoss

Mentor
can’t believe the website has the photo of Bishop Manogue the nevada state champs, chock full of pale faces!

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Thought it would be a good resource for guys to focus on their respective states. Like who would be better to comment on arkanas
Hs football than mr chitwood?

Be an interesting but super time consuming project to collate the percentage of whites on the winning rosters of each state’s top division winner. I wouldn’t expect it to be done but if anyone is curious to poke around this may help.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Will Shipley's HS football team, Weddington, a Charlotte suburb and 90% white football team, beat Wilmington Hoggard handily last night 56-21 to win the NC State 4A Football Championship. I believe the white QB is going to Georgia Southern. Of course, the lone black starter on offense for Weddington, a WR is headed to UNC. Weddington RB Nick Diamond looks like a Cody Schrader clone although he's only a junior. We'll see if he gets a D-1 offer.
Wilmington Hoggard looked mostly white as well. QB was white, one WR was white. RB and other WR was black. Lots of white stars on defense for both teams.
This was the state 4A Championship. The largest division in NC. Weddington was 3A when Shipley was there and have moved up to 4A. They previously won three state 3A Championships.

booth

Mentor
Will Shipley's HS football team, Weddington, a Charlotte suburb and 90% white football team, beat Wilmington Hoggard handily last night 56-21 to win the NC State 4A Football Championship. I believe the white QB is going to Georgia Southern. Of course, the lone black starter on offense for Weddington, a WR is headed to UNC. Weddington RB Nick Diamond looks like a Cody Schrader clone although he's only a junior. We'll see if he gets a D-1 offer.
Wilmington Hoggard looked mostly white as well. QB was white, one WR was white. RB and other WR was black. Lots of white stars on defense for both teams.
This was the state 4A Championship. The largest division in NC. Weddington was 3A when Shipley was there and have moved up to 4A. They previously won three state 3A Championships.
CS, is Hickory a predominately white team? I know they won their championship game, but I can't find a team picture. It seems like Weddington has become the go-to school for black players to transfer to.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I can speak to the results from Long Island, NY.

1702422410598.png
I don’t know the exact demographics of each team but I know the towns / villages / hamlets that make up the school districts and will draw assumptions from there. The way the LI title is determined is the winner from Nassau County (closer to NYC) vs the winner of Suffolk County (further from NYC). I is the largest schools and IV the smallest.

Massapequa - 95% White. Known for large amounts of upper middle working class Italians and some Jews.

William Floyd - yearly power house. Lower middle working class area with some slums. Brock Jackolski played here. Probably 60/40 White.

Garden City - Upper class / rich WASPY village. Team likely 95% White or more.

North Babylon - middle class area with creeping diversity in last decade. I’d guess team is majority White but could be 50/50 at worst.

East Islip - Upper middle working class White hamlet. Team should be 95% our guys.

South Side - Rockville Centre is a pretty rich village near the NYC border. I’d guess team is 90% White or so.

Bayport-Bluepoint - upper middle to rich group of hamlets. Has to be 95-99% White.

Seaford - right next to Massapequa with similar demographics. 95% White.

So almost all the top teams are White super majority to majority. LI has some very black school districts. Hempstead, Roosevelt, Wyndanch, Freeport, Amittyville and Central Islip would have basically all black teams. I guess they didn’t have enough upside this year to compete with stiff-hipped lunchpailers.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I can speak to the results from Long Island, NY.

View attachment 4290
I don’t know the exact demographics of each team but I know the towns / villages / hamlets that make up the school districts and will draw assumptions from there. The way the LI title is determined is the winner from Nassau County (closer to NYC) vs the winner of Suffolk County (further from NYC). I is the largest schools and IV the smallest.

Massapequa - 95% White. Known for large amounts of upper middle working class Italians and some Jews.

William Floyd - yearly power house. Lower middle working class area with some slums. Brock Jackolski played here. Probably 60/40 White.

Garden City - Upper class / rich WASPY village. Team likely 95% White or more.

North Babylon - middle class area with creeping diversity in last decade. I’d guess team is majority White but could be 50/50 at worst.

East Islip - Upper middle working class White hamlet. Team should be 95% our guys.

South Side - Rockville Centre is a pretty rich village near the NYC border. I’d guess team is 90% White or so.

Bayport-Bluepoint - upper middle to rich group of hamlets. Has to be 95-99% White.

Seafood - right next to Massapequa with similar demographics. 95% White.

So almost all the top teams are White super majority to majority. LI has some very black school districts. Hempstead, Roosevelt, Wyndanch, Freeport, Amittyville and Central Islip would have basically all black teams. I guess they didn’t have enough upside this year to compete with stiff-hipped lunchpailers.

If only schools like UCONN, Boston College, UMASS, Syracuse recruited guys from these schools.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
If only schools like UCONN, Boston College, UMASS, Syracuse recruited guys from these schools.
Yep, Rutgers too. UConn is especially terrible yet have coal black teams. I guarantee that if they recruited the top White talent in Long Island alone, they could build a winning program each and every year.

Even the top schools on the island Hofstra and Stony Brook, who compete in the FCS, largely ignore these guys that win the titles.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
CS, is Hickory a predominately white team? I know they won their championship game, but I can't find a team picture. It seems like Weddington has become the go-to school for black players to transfer to.
booth, Hickory, I would say is around 50/50. They have good players both black and white on both sides of the ball. QB is white and very athletic. RB/WR is black, but the other WR is white. They will return most of their offense including the QB, RB and WR's. They have a very good chance of defending. Interesting school. When I was in elementary school, the first grade, late 1960's early 70's desegregation was beginning and there was lots of tension. Blacks didn't want to be bused into the white schools and the white students didn't want them there. There were several riots at Hickory High School and, I believe some gained national attention. I remember it well as an elementary student, I had to ride all the way across town to pick up a bus load of blacks and then ride all the way back to my school. It was me and one other white kid and I ended up walking to school as a 7-8 year old boy.
I remember the first day of first grade I got into a fight with two black kids because they tried to steal my jean jacket. I got it back, but suffered a little damage for it.
When things like this happen to you at a young age, it forms opinions about other races that sometimes aren't always true, but can't help but stay with you for the rest of your life as I have just shared with you. My brother who went to Hickory High, fought black students all the time over his lunch money, etc.
My parents divorced and when I was 10 years old I went to live with my father and went to the other Hickory school in the suburbs.
Anyway, today Hickory High is predominately white, but they are only about 50% as there are lots of Mexicans as well.
Lots of old money in Hickory and still alot of white sons and daughters from this money.
Overall, Catawba County is not a bad place to live. Very conservative and just far away enough from Charlotte.

booth

Mentor
booth, Hickory, I would say is around 50/50. They have good players both black and white on both sides of the ball. QB is white and very athletic. RB/WR is black, but the other WR is white. They will return most of their offense including the QB, RB and WR's. They have a very good chance of defending. Interesting school. When I was in elementary school, the first grade, late 1960's early 70's desegregation was beginning and there was lots of tension. Blacks didn't want to be bused into the white schools and the white students didn't want them there. There were several riots at Hickory High School and, I believe some gained national attention. I remember it well as an elementary student, I had to ride all the way across town to pick up a bus load of blacks and then ride all the way back to my school. It was me and one other white kid and I ended up walking to school as a 7-8 year old boy.
I remember the first day of first grade I got into a fight with two black kids because they tried to steal my jean jacket. I got it back, but suffered a little damage for it.
When things like this happen to you at a young age, it forms opinions about other races that sometimes aren't always true, but can't help but stay with you for the rest of your life as I have just shared with you. My brother who went to Hickory High, fought black students all the time over his lunch money, etc.
My parents divorced and when I was 10 years old I went to live with my father and went to the other Hickory school in the suburbs.
Anyway, today Hickory High is predominately white, but they are only about 50% as there are lots of Mexicans as well.
Lots of old money in Hickory and still alot of white sons and daughters from this money.
Overall, Catawba County is not a bad place to live. Very conservative and just far away enough from Charlotte.
Thanks CS. I am usually on top of the N.C. playoffs, but my health has been up and down this year and I can't follow football like I used to. I hope y'all have a wonderful Christmas.

jphoss

Mentor
In Pa class 2A nearly all white Southern Columbia bested all black Westinghouse in a hard fought game 21-20. In the biggest division 6A nearly all white north allegheny lost to national power st joe’s prep. Congrats to north allegheny for getting there and for putting up a tough fight. And shame on st joe’s prep, who seems to be hellbent on becoming the img academy of the north at the expense of middle and upper middle class white talent which propelled them into a national powerhouse in the first place.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In Pa class 2A nearly all white Southern Columbia bested all black Westinghouse in a hard fought game 21-20. In the biggest division 6A nearly all white north allegheny lost to national power st joe’s prep. Congrats to north allegheny for getting there and for putting up a tough fight. And shame on st joe’s prep, who seems to be hellbent on becoming the img academy of the north at the expense of middle and upper middle class white talent which propelled them into a national powerhouse in the first place.
North Allegheny is an excellent school district, academically and for athletics, at least by America 2.0 standards. It's had top teams in most sports for a long time. It used to produce Pennsylvania state wrestling champions with amazing regularity. I went to NA and one of my gym teachers had been on the U.S. Olympic wrestling team (same with my dentist). My biology teacher was a state wrestling champ.

When I went there in the '70s it was literally one hundred percent White despite having graduating classes of well over 700 each year. But in recent years there's been a huge influx of Indians and East Asians, many if not most upper middle and upper class, part of the other half of The Great Replacement -- the importation of educated and highly motivated Indians and East Asians to replace the White professional class.

There's also some Blacks in the district too now, again middle and upper class. Joey Porter Jr. went to North Allegheny.

It's interesting that North Allegheny also produced the speedy quarterback Mike McMahon, one of the best running NFL QBs ever. Also two WRs who were on the fringes of the NFL for several years -- Gregg Garrity who went to Penn State and Brian Baschnagel who went to Ohio State. Baschnagel had the school record for the 100 for many years, may still hold it for all I know.

Apologies for going off topic, but for anyone considering living in the Pittsburgh metro area, the North Hills suburbs going north to Cranberry and southern Butler County are easily the best places to live, with North Allegheny just one of many very good school districts.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Milwaukee Marquette (80 percent white give or take) won it all this this season in the biggest division in Wisconsin. Before that All White Kimberly and Muskego(Hunter Wohler) combined for 7 straight. Both mini dynasties.

Franklin HS, a suburb of Milwaukee. Is also a perennial powerhouse at D2 of D1 level, depending on their enrollment. Franklin is also 90 percent white if not more.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I can tell you that of the New Jersey towns ( and those four private schools) are all overwhelmingly white and most are pretty well to do (rumson - fair haven regional is 99 percent white and very wealthy ).

Warhawk_46

Master
Milwaukee Marquette (80 percent white give or take) won it all this this season in the biggest division in Wisconsin. Before that All White Kimberly and Muskego(Hunter Wohler) combined for 7 straight. Both mini dynasties.

Franklin HS, a suburb of Milwaukee. Is also a perennial powerhouse at D2 of D1 level, depending on their enrollment. Franklin is also 90 percent white if not more.
It has been good to see the Wisconsin D1 schools are still white-dominated. When I played at Arrowhead in the early 2000’s we were a powerhouse football team. The school is still very good, but I have noticed a few blacks on the roster. We were 100% white back when I played.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
It has been good to see the Wisconsin D1 schools are still white-dominated. When I played at Arrowhead in the early 2000’s we were a powerhouse football team. The school is still very good, but I have noticed a few blacks on the roster. We were 100% white back when I played.
Yeah I’ve noticed a few token blacks on their teams now. But nothing crazy. They do play in a tough conference!