2023 Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Phall

Master
Since 2005, Rutgers has started 6, 5, 8, 9, 11, 8, 4, 5, 4, 8, 6, 6, 3, 5, 5, 4, 5, and 4 white athletes. In 2022, they project to start just 3 - yet another all-time low for the program that played the first-ever college football game in 1869.

Greg Schiano will enter the fourth season of his second stint with the Scarlet Knights. Schiano is a bit of a hometown hero, especially for coaching Rutgers to an 11-2 record back in 2006. Schiano took a pay cut to re-join his sentimental favorite, distributing some of his salary allocation to the budget for assistant coaches. I remember being impressed with accounts of his interview, where he'd brought a dossier of 100+ players he wanted Rutgers to target from the transfer portal. For what it's worth, the school paid his price and has poured more money than ever into the program, "investing" in media campaigns, promotions, and halftime shows to bring a new spotlight to its football team.

However, looking at this roster, Schiano's current run of futility simply isn't a cause for sympathy. He has no interest in unearthing another 'hidden gem' like prolific former running back Brian Leonard. Schiano could drive down to the beaches of Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, and Wildwood and pluck the biggest fist-pumping guido meatheads for his team. Instead, he prioritizes the ghetto blacks from Camden, Trenton, and Jersey City that have been sanitized by high school scholarships at the local Catholic private schools. New Jersey is one of those states where half of the high school playoff teams are "white," but you'd never know that from Rutgers' offer lists.

On the field, I've been complimentary of Johnny Langan for a few years now. He starts the year on the Mackey Award (top TE) watch list, although I'm afraid that's wishful thinking. After losing a quarterback battle as a redshirt freshman, Langan has become a jackknife player who can pass, run, and catch (he logged touchdowns at all three levels last season). He has the selfless attitude of "anything for the team" that is typical of many white players; I will once again key in on his name when looking at the box score.

The Rutgers black quarterback is former four-star recruit Gavin Wimsatt, now a redshirt sophomore. He was rated highly for his "athleticism" but hasn't shown any signs of being even a decent passer at the college level. If he gets injured or keeps throwing interceptions, Evan Simon could take over duties. Rutgers usually ends up burning through a few different quarterbacks during any given season.

Apart from the tight ends and offensive linemen, most of the backups listed below aren't in line for any significant playing time outside of special teams.

Starters:
TE: Johnny Langan
OG: Mike Ciaffoni
OT: Tyler Needham

Backups:
QB: Evan Simon
WR: Christian Dremel, Gunnison Bloodgood
TE: Victor Konopka, Mike Higgins, Evan Ward, Logan Blake
OL: Gus Zilinskas, Bryan Felter, Nick Ciaffoni, Joe De Croce

DL: Sean Cooper
DB: Joe Lusardi, Timmy Ward

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Gap-Toothed Wigger is one of my least favorite coaches of all time for how he demoted both Leonard and Martinek after they were established star RBs. Now I see that his vile first coaching run was the “good ol days” compared to the slop he’s fielding today. Hard pass on this team.

Last edited:

jphoss

Mentor
Philly Catholic and inter-ac leagues plus nj white talent rivals Texas California Florida and Ohio yet yet this coach ignores them for ghetto less talented black. What a joke

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Still can’t forget the whole Ray rice versus Brian Leonard era. Leonard was so much better and so much less of a head case, yet…

On the banks of the ole’ Raritan, it’s a team from central “casteing”.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
To be fair Ray Rice hip swivel helped him beat womenz.

Phall

Master
Schiano's career ark has been weird. I understand the disdain about unplugging the Brian Leonard train a bit to install some Ray Race engines. In retrospect, they were both elite backs the quality of which Rutgers hasn't seen since.

Ray Rice forever has a scarlet letter on his name, but frankly I forgave him a long time ago. The woman he knocked became his longstanding wife. They paired together on as many interviews as they could while condemning domestic violence, and the gal stuck with Ray despite his career trajectory and earnings drying up instantly. He never got so much as another tryout, and I'm sure it's just because of the visceral impact of that video clip. Plenty of outrageous felons do much worse under the NFL banner every season. We just don't always get the video clip.

Brian Leonard wasn't ignored by the NFL, excelled in a pinch in New Brunswick, and suffered the same fate as he would have as a pro under most other timelines.

Part of Schiano's so-called baggage is actually that he was on the Penn State staff when Joe Paterno allegedly ignored the Sandusky accusations. That's why Tennessee fans rejected him after a week-long announcement a few years ago. Very mature, very grounded (I'm personally not sure that Sandusky did it, tbh). Anyway, Tennessee has their dumpy white guy coach now.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Schiano's career ark has been weird. I understand the disdain about unplugging the Brian Leonard train a bit to install some Ray Race engines. In retrospect, they were both elite backs the quality of which Rutgers hasn't seen since.

Ray Rice forever has a scarlet letter on his name, but frankly I forgave him a long time ago. The woman he knocked became his longstanding wife. They paired together on as many interviews as they could while condemning domestic violence, and the gal stuck with Ray despite his career trajectory and earnings drying up instantly. He never got so much as another tryout, and I'm sure it's just because of the visceral impact of that video clip. Plenty of outrageous felons do much worse under the NFL banner every season. We just don't always get the video clip.

Brian Leonard wasn't ignored by the NFL, excelled in a pinch in New Brunswick, and suffered the same fate as he would have as a pro under most other timelines.

Part of Schiano's so-called baggage is actually that he was on the Penn State staff when Joe Paterno allegedly ignored the Sandusky accusations. That's why Tennessee fans rejected him after a week-long announcement a few years ago. Very mature, very grounded (I'm personally not sure that Sandusky did it, tbh). Anyway, Tennessee has their dumpy white guy coach now.
Very informative, thank you!