2023 Rugby World Cup

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Italy playing Namibia at the moment and winning. Interesting that Namibia, an African nation, has a much whiter squad percentage wise than anything we would ever field in American football were the US to field an all-American pro team for an analogous competition.

I’m any case, it’s on peacock and cnbc if anyone is interested

Bob

Big game coming up shortly with England v Argentina.

England have historically over-performed at World Cups, but have been through a woeful period of form during the last 12 months - firing their coach and struggling to find any kind of momentum leading into the World Cup.

Argentina on the other hand have been building nicely. They have beaten some good teams over the past year and are developing a more creative and expansive gameplan than in previous years.

From a Caste perspective Argentina are probably the team to back, with what looks a 100% white team, whereas the English matchday squad is more around the 60-70% mark.

Matra2

Master
Italy playing Namibia at the moment and winning. Interesting that Namibia, an African nation, has a much whiter squad percentage wise than anything we would ever field in American football were the US to field an all-American pro team for an analogous competition.

I’m any case, it’s on peacock and cnbc if anyone is interested
I remember both Namibian and Zimbabwean teams in the past were mostly white, just like their cricket teams.

I just looked up the Namibian players and as expected they're pretty much all Afrikaner-sounding names. Even in Canada the best rugby player of recent years was a South African-born guy called D.T.H. van der Merwe.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Watched Wales versus Portugal. Quite entertaining to watch even though I’m still struggling with some of the rules.

A few things struck me:

1. There are a lot of big and athletic white guys that play this game
2. The game is much more fluid than American football so it requires a lot more running endurance I would guess
3. There is much less reliance on constant coaching during the games so I’d guess the average player iq is likely higher (though it’s hard to know for certain, obviously)

Highly recommend for football fans to try watching it and figuring out the rules as you go. It’s rewarding thus far

Sean89

Mentor
Watched Wales versus Portugal. Quite entertaining to watch even though I’m still struggling with some of the rules.

A few things struck me:

1. There are a lot of big and athletic white guys that play this game
2. The game is much more fluid than American football so it requires a lot more running endurance I would guess
3. There is much less reliance on constant coaching during the games so I’d guess the average player iq is likely higher (though it’s hard to know for certain, obviously)

Highly recommend for football fans to try watching it and figuring out the rules as you go. It’s rewarding thus far

Hugely athletic guys. And in rugby you have to be able to do it all.

Attack, defend, ball skills etc etc.

Getting close to knock out stages.

SneakyQuick

Mentor

First game of the knock out stages. Also the first game I watched end to end now that I finally understand it well enough to follow.

At the halftime intermission I briefly switched on fsu vs Syracuse, had a laugh, and then switched back.

Seriously hope u guys consider following this. It’s a cool sport played by mostly white, athletic players

The fullback on wales apparently runs a 10.4 100m. However there was no slobbering over him for it. He was just one of many fast guys on the field.

Bob

The second quarter-final between New Zealand and Ireland was one of the most skillful and intense matches I have ever seen (and I've been watching rugby basically all my life). It was a shame they had to play each other so early due to a lop-sided draw - as the match was worthy of a final and could easily have been won by either side.

Of the two remaining quarter-finals the one to watch will be between South Africa versus France. Similar to the NZ v Ireland game, France and South Africa are two of the top four sides in the world at the moment. France are the hosts and have a golden generation of players at the moment, none better than Antoine Dupont - the French captain and the consensus best player in the world. Dupont has been rushed back into the side after fracturing his cheekbone just under a month ago in the pool stages - which is a risk but he is considered vital to France's chances of winning.

Both sides have big, powerful forward packs and skillful backs. The South Africans particularly relish the physical battle. They love to dominate and bully their opposition in contact, and play an extremely aggressive rush defence to disrupt and smother the team on offence. France play a very astute kicking game, led by their captain Dupont, and are also masters of the counter-attack - being able to score from anywhere on the field.

It's likely that this contest won't be as free-flowing and fast as the NZ v Ireland game, but I imagine the physicality and intensity will be next-level - particularly in front of 80,000 screaming Frenchmen at the Stade de France.

Definitely worth a watch.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Appreciate the breakdowns guys! Will do my best to catch some rugby matches in the future.

Matra2

Master
NZ v Ireland & France v SA were just fantastic. Some of the best sports entertainment I've seen this decade. Unfortunately, the semi-finals are likely to be one-sided as neither Argentina nor England look good enough to seriously challenge NZ & SA respectively. (OK, maybe England have an outside chance. I've only seen two of their matches, in both of which they were mediocre). Anyway, once again the Southern Hemisphere countries win when it matters.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
And all of the highlights are available on YouTube.

Also the commentary is not aimed at people with only a fourth grade public school education, a refreshing change of pace.

As bad as the woke nonsense has been, I find that the commentary is the thing that keeps me from watching most us sports more than anything.

Hope you guys can check it out

SneakyQuick

Mentor

Sorry it took so long to post this, I’ve been having trouble w the site until a few days ago.

There are extended highlights that run for 16 min or so as well. Those are…

Enjoy!