2023 PGA Championship

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Better late than never to post something about the second major of the year. After three rounds the leaderboard is topnotch. As can happen in May in the Northeast, the weather has been mostly chilly and today was also rainy, making for tough conditions on a very tough course -- Oak Hill in Rochester, NY, site of a number of past majors.

Canadian Corey Conners was leading most of the third round today before a double bogey on 16 knocked him back into a tie for second. Conners is a very good player but isn't well known while the rest of the players at the top are all world:

Brooks Koepka -6
Conners -5
Viktor Hovland -5
Bryson DeChambeau -3
Scottie Scheffler -2
Justin Rose -2
Rory McIlroy -1

Should be a great final round tomorrow.

icsept

Master
Koepka with a one shot lead on Hovland after 13 holes. He’s a beast looking for his 5th major.

icsept

Master
Koepka wins his 5th major. He’s tied with the likes of Phil Mickelson and Lee Trevino. He’s only 33 years old.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Koepka becomes just the 20th player to win at least five major titles.

Was a heckuva final round. Brooks barely held off Viktor Hovland all round until Hovland embedded an attempt to get out of the bunker at the 16th in the side of the bunker, the exact same shot that Corey Connors misfired on yesterday in the same bunker. What were the odds of that happening again???

Scottie Scheffler also challenged but Koepka held him off as well. Scheffler played the front nine in four over in the third round, which effectively doomed his chances.

He's had some serious knee problems to deal with the past couple of years, but Koepka the Terminator is back!

BTW, there were some 30,000 roaring fans in attendance today, and it seemed to me every single one of them was White. The only time I didn't see White faces was during commercials, when as always most of the faces were Black.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Koepka wins his 5th major. He’s tied with the likes of Phil Mickelson and Lee Trevino. He’s only 33 years old.
Not quite. Mickelson and Trevino have 6 Majors. He's tied with the likes of Seve Ballesteros and Byron Nelson. I didn't get to watch much of the PGA this weekend. I was in Knoxville with my daughter as she awarded her Masters Degree from The University of Tennessee.
I was hoping for a Scheffler win, but congratulations to Koepka.