2023 Los Angeles Chargers

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
2023 Chargers Preview

Every team in the NFL is anti-White to one degree or another as they pander to a small segment of the population (13% or so) vs the majority (60-something %). As far as the Chargers go, they have been one of the better teams in the league recently but lets see if that's true for this year.

Total White Athletes on Roster (Starters in bold)
14 Whites total, with 4 starters. Grade: D-

QB - Justin Herbert, Easton Stick
T - Foster Sarell
G - Brenden Jaimes
C - Corey Linsley, Will Clapp
DL - Morgan Fox, Scott Matlock
OLB - Joey Bosa
ILB - Nick Niemann, Tanner Muse

K - Cameron Dicker
P - JK Scott
LS - Josh Harris

IR - Andrew Trainer (T)
PS - Max Duggan (QB), Alex Erickson (WR), Hunter Kampmoyer (TE), Nick Vannett (TE), Zack Bailey (T), Austen Pleasants (OL)

Drop of 3 Whites overall and 2 for starters. Basically converting to a 4/5ths sumo line did the damage. Looks like Herbert is going to be running for his life more often this year.

Justin Herbert is a young star QB and is going to make any team immediately interesting. However, it is shameful that he has zero White players to throw the football to. That's right, no running backs, wide receivers, tight ends or fullbacks. In this era where White tight ends dominate and are plentiful in number, it is simply inexcusable that they would have 4 blacks on the depth chart with none even being a stand out talent. Despite that Herbert will likely throw for over 4,000 yards again with 25+ TDs. 2021 was he best season, so we'll have to see if he can improve upon his 22 numbers. Linsley is a top center. The only other interesting offensive players all reside on the PS. Duggan was a Heisman Trophy finalist who lead his team (TCU) to the title game. A dual threat, who could use a little more seasoning, is basically the 3rd stringer. Alex Erickson was unceremoniously caste aside by the Jets, despite being one of their top 6 receivers. Perhaps he can work his way to the active roster at some point.

The defense is really what separates this team from an F+. Having 2 White starters is sadly rare and both are quite good. When healthy, Joey Bosa is good for 10+ sacks and is a premier pass rusher. Morgan Fox has emerged as a very good 3-4 DE. Niemann in my opinion is a starting caliber ILB, but is serving a racial apprenticeship. Wonder if he'll ever get his chance? Tanner Muse is an extremely gifted athlete in the mold of hybrid-safety Isaiah Simmons. Simmons has gotten his shot and has been allowed to play some safety but Muse has not. A fine example of the Caste System. Let's see what the Chargers do but so far Muse has been only a WSTD in his brief career.

I've definitely soured on this team. They are just a middle of the road Caste Team this year.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping they wouldn't be this bad. The Chargers are one of the teams whose o-line can vary from 4/5 White to 4/5 Black in any given year, but in recent seasons has trended more toward the sumo direction.

jphoss

Mentor
I was hoping they wouldn't be this bad. The Chargers are one of the teams whose o-line can vary from 4/5 White to 4/5 Black in any given year, but in recent seasons has trended more toward the sumo direction.
Is it me or are there more and more black linemen starting? It used to be a near lock for 4 whites on the oline. Maybe that’s why the line play has gone dramatically down the last few years

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Sumo OL definitely a stinker. They have a decent amount of our guys on PS so should see a few more on the e roster by end of the year.

Good Muse made the team. I figured he was serving his racial apprenticeship out on a Practice Squad somewhere. I agree about Niemann. His brother was a good Lb in his limited reps too!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Is it me or are there more and more black linemen starting? It used to be a near lock for 4 whites on the oline. Maybe that’s why the line play has gone dramatically down the last few years
Those days are long past.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I blame it on SEC sumos mostly. But West Coast teams have gotten just as bad. Sumo and quota push is real.

NikoDuke

Mentor
At this point in the season and observing what a dumpster fire the Chargers have become, I have really come to dislike this team, Bosa and Herbert notwithstanding..

I'd like to both of them to get out of there..

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Belichick would be great in LA. Very interview friendly coach, I’m sure LA media would adore him! Lol .

El Gringo

Mentor
I truly worry about the "Genius" ruining Herbert. I wonder what underling will be hired as an OC, it better not be McMoron.
I doubt McNumbnuts will get a opportunity to be a head coach anytime soon but wish he would because it’s been fun coming up with new Mc@@@@@ names throughout the season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt McNumbnuts will get a opportunity to be a head coach anytime soon but wish he would because it’s been fun coming up with new Mc@@@@@ names throughout the season.
Haha, the first two letters of the surname he happened to be born with turns out to be the only positive thing about him. Thanks for the laughs in Denver and Vegas, McCastetard

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
When I did my post tracking the team demographics and comparisons to last year, the Chargers were one of the ones who darkened the most. I think only the Cardinals were worse. The wheels feel off for both teams so we are vindicated once more that more White players is good for success.

Jim Harbaugh named as Chargers coach. Good for Herbert?
It all depends on whether Harbaugh will allow Herbert to throw the ball downfield. Despite possibly possessing the strongest arm of his generation, Herbert has been forced into dink n' dunk offenses his entire career. He has also been dissuaded from using his legs too much. If Herbert is given a scheme that caters to his strengths, then this hiring could be great for him.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I don’t think Harbaugh can be any worse than the cast of clowns who have coached the Chargers over the last decade. I think he’ll be a positive influence on Herbert.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
AFC West might finally fulfill the promise of being a good division. Harbaugh is a proven coach, heck, he was able to win in SF with frigging Colin Kraepernick at QB. Payton did a good job in Denver after a disastrous start and while we don't know how Pierce will turn out in Raiderland, he did have them playing hard down the stretch.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I agree with what all above have said regarding this hiring. The Chargers outside of Herbert honestly don’t have too much - mediocre offensive line, no tight ends, a good receiver over 30, a solid wr that was injured all of last year and what appears to be a 1st round bust at the position as well.

My guess is that Harbaugh will emphasize the run game and rebuilding the offensive line. I can’t see him really deviating much from the formula he used at Stanford, with the 49ers and most recently at Michigan. Only difference is he has one of the best QBs in the league whereas in his prior NFL stint he had the solid Alex Smith and one trick toucan that was exposed after his initial success.

Rocky B

Master
I’d love to see Bowers picked in the first round, then in later rounds they grab one of our awesome running backs.
The Chargers would really be worth watching.

El Gringo

Mentor
He’ll probably bring in a white fullback and tight end which would babe nice. Maybe he will re-sign Horvath.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Who was the last really good White TE on the Chargers? They may have gone longer than any other NFL team in that department.

El Gringo

Mentor
I don’t remember one in the last 20 years at least. Harbaugh always seems to have a couple on his teams though.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Who was the last really good White TE on the Chargers? They may have gone longer than any other NFL team in that department.

Hunter Henry. The Chargers foolishly let him leave in free agency instead of resigning him to pair with Herbert after a solid 2020 together.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hunter Henry. The Chargers foolishly let him leave in free agency instead of resigning him to pair with Herbert after a solid 2020 together.
Forgot about him but I'd call him borderline really good. His highwater mark in receiving yards since being drafted in '16 is 652.