2023 College Football Week 5

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Middle Tennessee - Western Kentucky - QB Austin Reed is a pretty prolific passer and he's throwing to talented freshman WR Easton Messer. I feel he's better than Zappe as a prospect. MTSU has a solid QB of it's own along with WRs Holden Willis and UNC transfer Justin Olson

Temple - Tulsa - Kurt Warner's son is the Temple QB - that's all I got for this one.

Jacksonville St - Sam Houston -Jacksonville State starts Nebraska transfer Logan Smothers who has performed well so far as a talented dual threat.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Olson had 6 for 76 for MTSU!

Messer had 4 for 43 and TD!

Smothers had 197 passing, 3TDs and 1 rushing in a Jacksonville State win!

Phall

Master
Middle Tennessee - Western Kentucky - QB Austin Reed is a pretty prolific passer and he's throwing to talented freshman WR Easton Messer. I feel he's better than Zappe as a prospect. MTSU has a solid QB of it's own along with WRs Holden Willis and UNC transfer Justin Olson

Temple - Tulsa - Kurt Warner's son is the Temple QB - that's all I got for this one.

Jacksonville St - Sam Houston -Jacksonville State starts Nebraska transfer Logan Smothers who has performed well so far as a talented dual threat.

Temple lost by three touchdowns and EJ Warner finished 27-49 for 269 yds, 2 TDs, 1 int. Temple is a pretty lousy team with a poor running game. The good news for Warner is that he's undisputedly "the guy" as a sophomore, and he gets to throw a lot. The downside is that his numbers really aren't great. I think the upshot for his career is to transfer up as a senior (or junior), but I don't think his play has earned him an opportunity anywhere that will put him in a better place to succeed.

Rocky B

Master
Watching Columbia vs Princeton.

John Volker is the leading rusher for Princeton.
Ivy Friday.

Rocky B

Master
Columbia running back Joe Giorgi is running well.

Boring game, but there are a couple pale runners.....

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Temple lost by three touchdowns and EJ Warner finished 27-49 for 269 yds, 2 TDs, 1 int. Temple is a pretty lousy team with a poor running game. The good news for Warner is that he's undisputedly "the guy" as a sophomore, and he gets to throw a lot. The downside is that his numbers really aren't great. I think the upshot for his career is to transfer up as a senior (or junior), but I don't think his play has earned him an opportunity anywhere that will put him in a better place to succeed.

Point taken regarding Warner. I didn't watch any of the game but I know Tulsa has not been great this year so I have to wonder how bad the Temple defense is. Tulsa ran all over them.

I did catch the end of the Jacksonville St - Sam Houston game. Last minute comeback and Smothers played well in crunch time. It's a shame Nebraska let him walk and neglected to develop him at all during his time in Lincoln.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Looking at tomorrow's games it seems like a somewhat uninspiring Saturday:

No desire to watch the coal bowl - USC at Colorado. Would prefer to see a blowout but I dislike USC just about the same as I do Colorado. USC still has the potential to lose to Notre Dame, Utah and Oregon later in the year.

Florida - Kentucky - Mertz hasn't been awful and has been feeding the ball to Pearsall. Let's hope that continues.

Texas A&M - Arkansas - Would like Max Johnson to have a big game and we know it won't be at Hudson Clark's expense since he is not deemed worthy of being a starter.

Clemson - Syracuse - My guess is the Tigers are a 3-4 loss team this year. Klubnik needs to continue to get experience, he has looked better as the year has progressed. Playcalling and the correct utilization of Shipley are bigger issues.

Georgia - Auburn - Carson Beck is quietly getting better as the season progresses. McConkey is still nursing injuries so hopefully Bowers gets more involved in the passing game. His lack of production has been one of the bigger disappointments through the first quarter of the season.

Michigan - Nebraska - The Cornhuskers defense should present some challenges. Rhule's lack of commitment to Heinrich Haarberg and leaving the door open for the magical quota failure to play this weekend give me all the ammo needed to root for Michigan. It would be nice to see McCarthy have a big game.

Kansas - Texas - Just rooting for Ewers here.

Notre Dame - Duke - should be a good game. The Irish have lots of intriguing players and their outstanding defensive talents - Bertrand, Kiser and Rylie Mills should pose a good challenge for the ascending Riley Leonard. Sam Hartman remains a top tier QB and should see his stock rising.

Michigan St - Iowa - If the Hawkeyes don't put up points against the Michigan St dumpster fire the calls for the younger Ferentz will be reaching fever pitch if they have not already.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We have a couple of games starting in the next hour or two.

Oregon St vs Utah in a Pac 12 Battle

Byu vs Cinn. Hoping the Cougars can bounce back from the loss last weekend!

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Master
Nice rundown. Enjoy all of these post!

Utah has been in a funk due to flight issues causing 2 hour delay .......
......but the Utah Offense just is not the same w/o stating QB Cam Rising & stud TE Brandt Kuithe! And the Oregon State Defense is hammering the 2nd & 3rd string QB's. FINALLY they score!!
TE Thomas Yassin "Rugby Star" nice run after the catch on the 41 yard TD! Now down 21 - 7 late

Wonder when will UGA get Ladd McConkey back??
.... Bowers stats vs the cupcakes have been mundane ; but stepped up last week 9 rec -141 & 2 TD's! Expect he should continue on the upswing vs. the meat of the coming SEC schedule

Slovis ( 4 - 10 passing 1st half ) and the BYU Offense need to pick it up! Chase Roberts has a 24 yard catch

Middle Tenn WR 6'-4" Holden Willis had 6 rec 70 yards last night

Hudson Clark did start for Arkansas last week despite being listed 2nd on the Depth Chart.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You beat me to it. Chase Roberts has 4 catches for 126 yards and 1 td in only 3 quarters!

Have yourself a game young man. The kid can fly and he has NFL speed!

Phall

Master
Point taken regarding Warner. I didn't watch any of the game but I know Tulsa has not been great this year so I have to wonder how bad the Temple defense is. Tulsa ran all over them.

I did catch the end of the Jacksonville St - Sam Houston game. Last minute comeback and Smothers played well in crunch time. It's a shame Nebraska let him walk and neglected to develop him at all during his time in Lincoln.
Oh, don't take it as a counterpoint. I'd love for him to make it big, too. Just can't watch Temple football, I do track his box scores and track him as a 'celebrity' like any white RB or BD

jphoss

Mentor
Glad Utah lost. There was some hype creeping in about Nate Johnson but scoring a total of 21 points in 2 games will squelch that. Rising needs to get back soon or this will be a 3-4 loss utah team

sprintstar

Mentor
Chase Roberts gots some jets! DB #1 stumbled cuz he couldn't catch the White Rabbit! What I liked about Roberts run after catch is he runs effortless like he is not even trying.....that is a gift!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Glad Utah lost. There was some hype creeping in about Nate Johnson but scoring a total of 21 points in 2 games will squelch that. Rising needs to get back soon or this will be a 3-4 loss utah team

Johnson failed to grasp the concept of the forward pass. Barnes should have been the starter last night. Another case of being betrayed by "upside" for Willingham at Utah.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I saw that Roberts catch as I was watching last night, Impressive size and speed! Too bad his name isn’t Puka. Maybe he’d get a shot in The League!

TwentyTwo

Master
NEVER FAILS ......USC Scores on a TD Run .....Colorado Starts 10 of 11 blacks on defense!! Guess WHO THEY SHOW?? After the TD??...................TREVOR WOODS!!!! Those cameraman are conditioned little bitches!

TwentyTwo

Master
I saw that Roberts catch as I was watching last night, Impressive size and speed! Too bad his name isn’t Puka. Maybe he’d get a shot in The League!
For sure Bucky! At 6'-4" 210 didn't even look like he was running hard and those DB's were not gonna catch him! He should be on an NFL trajectory!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
For sure Bucky! At 6'-4" 210 didn't even look like he was running hard and those DB's were not gonna catch him! He should be on an NFL trajectory!
One would think! He passes the eye test.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Florida has a fat **** DC that is only 30yrs old. LOL

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Crackhead Michael Irvin compares Shaudueer Sanders to Joe Burrow. Another example of blacks getting favorable comparisons to an elite White athlete.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Floridas affletic defense is getting shredded. They’ve given up nearly 200 yards rushing and 2nd half just started.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
America’s Black Team is down 34-7 against USC at half.