2022-2023 College Basketball

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
we are assured that “the best players play.”

we hear incessantly from the professional “talent scouts” (sic) who “evaluate” players and then rank them, recruit them, and pay them.

if these things are true, and these so-called scouts know what they’re doing, why do they make so many mistakes in their evaluation process?

here are three quick, but notable, examples of obviously gifted basketball players who “somehow” the “experts” missed:

Marquette junior Tyler Kolek is the best point guard in the nation. period. the Big East conference Player of the Year and unanimously voted first-team all-conference junior leads the conference and ranks second in the nation in assists per game at 7.9, and his 3.37 assists-to-turnover ratio is fourth in the country. he also averages 12.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.

and the dude is clutch. down the stretch of the conference season, the 6-foot-3 floor general carried his (otherwise all black) team on his back, finishing with three straight double-doubles, hit two game-clinching shots in the final minute against Creighton, and scoring 15 of his team’s last 16 points against DePaul.

he has led Marquette to their highest ranking in 45 years and their first-ever outright conference championship.

and he has done all this despite not receiving a single Power 5 or Big East scholarship offer coming out of high school. in fact, he wouldn’t even be playing for Marquette if his head coach at George Mason (where Kolek was conference Rookie of the Year as a freshman) hadn’t been fired. that’s what prompted Kolek to enter the transfer portal.

for “some reason” Kolek’s obvious abilities were missed. “weird,” huh?

similarly, 6-foot-11 North Dakota State junior Grant Nelson was “missed” by all the power programs. in fact, the unicorn (as his coach calls him) only had 2 Division One scholarship offers coming out of high school, but now he’s considered a potential draft pick in the NBA. interesting ...

a first-team and all-Defensive Summit League performer, Nelson led NDSU in points (19.9 ppg), rebounds (9.8 rpg), assists (2.4 apg), blocks (1.7 bpg) and steals (1.1 spg). he also led his team in field goal percentage (52.1%) and led the conference in both rebounds and double-doubles (8).

for “some reason” the “experts” missed on Nelson, too. “weird,” huh?

those same people claimed Branson Podziemski was a legitimate talent ... but “for some reason” the 4-star recruit who was the first-ever player in Wisconsin high school history to score over 2,000 points in just three varsity seasons never fit in with “the culture” at Illinois ... he couldn’t get off the bench no matter what he did, so he transferred.

now the 6-foot-5 sharp shooting sophomore is 1) the West Coast Conference Newcomer of the Year, 2) first-team all-conference, and 3) conference co-Player of the Year.

Podziemski is the first Bronco to win WCC Player of the Year honors since John Bryant captured the award in 2008-09. the Illinois transfer ranks third in the conference at an average of 19.9 points per game (and is second in league play with a mark of 21.4 ppg). and, despite his supposed “lack of athleticism,” he is the WCC leader in rebounding with 8.9 boards per game in conference play! in fact, he leads the WCC in double-doubles with 12, including 4 straight to end the regular season.

just imagine what he could do if he had some athletic ability ...

the left handed lead guard is not just a scorer; he is also averaging 3.4 assists and 1.7 steals while shooting an impressive 48.6 percent from the field and 44.5 percent from beyond the arc.

what kind of coach creates a culture that wouldn’t want a player like that?

what do all these athletes have in common that has caused them to be “overlooked” by the “experts?” if i could only find a pattern ...

Bucky

Hall of Famer
we are assured that “the best players play.”

we hear incessantly from the professional “talent scouts” (sic) who “evaluate” players and then rank them, recruit them, and pay them.

if these things are true, and these so-called scouts know what they’re doing, why do they make so many mistakes in their evaluation process?

here are three quick, but notable, examples of obviously gifted basketball players who “somehow” the “experts” missed:

Marquette junior Tyler Kolek is the best point guard in the nation. period. the Big East conference Player of the Year and unanimously voted first-team all-conference junior leads the conference and ranks second in the nation in assists per game at 7.9, and his 3.37 assists-to-turnover ratio is fourth in the country. he also averages 12.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.

and the dude is clutch. down the stretch of the conference season, the 6-foot-3 floor general carried his (otherwise all black) team on his back, finishing with three straight double-doubles, hit two game-clinching shots in the final minute against Creighton, and scoring 15 of his team’s last 16 points against DePaul.

he has led Marquette to their highest ranking in 45 years and their first-ever outright conference championship.

and he has done all this despite not receiving a single Power 5 or Big East scholarship offer coming out of high school. in fact, he wouldn’t even be playing for Marquette if his head coach at George Mason (where Kolek was conference Rookie of the Year as a freshman) hadn’t been fired. that’s what prompted Kolek to enter the transfer portal.

for “some reason” Kolek’s obvious abilities were missed. “weird,” huh?

similarly, 6-foot-11 North Dakota State junior Grant Nelson was “missed” by all the power programs. in fact, the unicorn (as his coach calls him) only had 2 Division One scholarship offers coming out of high school, but now he’s considered a potential draft pick in the NBA. interesting ...

a first-team and all-Defensive Summit League performer, Nelson led NDSU in points (19.9 ppg), rebounds (9.8 rpg), assists (2.4 apg), blocks (1.7 bpg) and steals (1.1 spg). he also led his team in field goal percentage (52.1%) and led the conference in both rebounds and double-doubles (8).

for “some reason” the “experts” missed on Nelson, too. “weird,” huh?

those same people claimed Branson Podziemski was a legitimate talent ... but “for some reason” the 4-star recruit who was the first-ever player in Wisconsin high school history to score over 2,000 points in just three varsity seasons never fit in with “the culture” at Illinois ... he couldn’t get off the bench no matter what he did, so he transferred.

now the 6-foot-5 sharp shooting sophomore is 1) the West Coast Conference Newcomer of the Year, 2) first-team all-conference, and 3) conference co-Player of the Year.

Podziemski is the first Bronco to win WCC Player of the Year honors since John Bryant captured the award in 2008-09. the Illinois transfer ranks third in the conference at an average of 19.9 points per game (and is second in league play with a mark of 21.4 ppg). and, despite his supposed “lack of athleticism,” he is the WCC leader in rebounding with 8.9 boards per game in conference play! in fact, he leads the WCC in double-doubles with 12, including 4 straight to end the regular season.

just imagine what he could do if he had some athletic ability ...

the left handed lead guard is not just a scorer; he is also averaging 3.4 assists and 1.7 steals while shooting an impressive 48.6 percent from the field and 44.5 percent from beyond the arc.

what kind of coach creates a culture that wouldn’t want a player like that?

what do all these athletes have in common that has caused them to be “overlooked” by the “experts?” if i could only find a pattern ...
Pure gold JC!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Vermont vs Umass Lowell is on ESPN2. Good caste battle. Vermont has 3 overachievers while Umass Lowell is full of African Refugees.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
How about Vermont’s Matt Veretto? 6’8 220lb forward. Started his career at Delaware then took 3 years off from basketball. Got his degree at UConn in finance, and now playing as a Grad transfer for Catamounts. Averaging 9and 3 this season. 41 percent from 3 for the Lefty Sharpshooter.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Arizona Wildcats crushed in state rival ASU last night in the Semifinals of the 2023 Pac 12 Tournament. Tonight is the
championship game and they will face UCLA again. Time for some payback. Wildcats for the win! I feel it!

APB08256-optimized.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Purdue won the Big 10 Tournament behind 32 points from Zach Edey.

Duke and Kansas in the their Championship Games today as well. Good luck to both of them. Other than
March Madness it's probabaly the last time you will see Kyle Flipkowski and Grady Dick play college ball as they
are both expected to be one and done. They will be in the nba after 1 year of college.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
if you’ve not had the chance to watch Marquette’s tremendous junior point guard, Tyler Kolek, he’s playing right now against Xavier in the Big East tournament championship game. he is putting on a clinic!

Phall

Master
@white lightning @Jimmy Chitwood Are we going to make our White Teams of the Year rosters again? I had a lot of fun time around thinking up a rotation. I'll go last so I can highlight some originals (doesn't look like Tyler Kolek will be sliding to me though).

white lightning

Hall of Famer
@white lightning @Jimmy Chitwood Are we going to make our White Teams of the Year rosters again? I had a lot of fun time around thinking up a rotation. I'll go last so I can highlight some originals (doesn't look like Tyler Kolek will be sliding to me though).
That's fine with me. I will let my long time friend Jimmy C. go first. I take 2nd, Phall after that and anyone else who wants to take part.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I’m in!

Arizona vs UCLA right now is a great game if you’re up late.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Tubelis and Jacquez have been the best players on the court! Kriisa has also knocked down a few 3’s.

Phall

Master
Tubelis and Jacquez have been the best players on the court! Kriisa has also knocked down a few 3’s.

Nice win for the whites! Arizona's blacks played well, too. I'm happy to see that Tubelis has busted his slump and is back to looking like the team alpha.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
@white lightning did the other Tubelis fall out of AZs rotation?
Yeah and it makes no damn sense. They also have so many other talented guys that should be playing. I'm also
angry Larsson comes off the bench now. Since they switched they have really struggled until the tournament. They
need their 3 white starters back. Tubelis lead the conference in scoring and rebounds with Kriisa leading conf in assists!

Told you guys they would win tonight. They didn't play great but they got the win. Back to Back Pac Title Champs.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
That’s a head scratcher. I was wondering what happened to him. Announcers mentioned they only play 7 in their rotation.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Princeton wins the Ivy League!

6’6 true freshman Forward Caden Pierce had a double double with 12 points and 10 rebounds and 3 blocks!

Guards Matt Allocco(6’4 Jr.)and Ryan Langborg(6’4 Sr.) had 14 and 15!

Their African Center, by way of England, also scored at will. They could be a dangerous matchup for a 2 seed.

For Yale, guards John Poulikidas(6’5 So.) and August Mahoney(6’4 Jr.) had 7 and 13. Mbeng their star afflete is a ball hog. So I was pulling for Princeton. Therefore Mbeng will be playing for a Power 5 next year lol

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i’d be happy to do this again! what’s my deadline?

Flint

Mentor
Who’s doing the Whitest Tournament teams? I count on that to fill my brackets!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
No CBI Tournament invite for Detroit Mercy, so Pistol Pete's scoring record officially holds.
This is great news as it as unfair with the kid having an extra year of college basketball. Also Pistol Pete Maravich
as has been said before didn't get credit for 3 point shots as they only counted as 2 back in those days. I hope he
never loses the record. His points per games scoring average in college is 44.0! Insane to even think about!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm gonna pass on the whitest teams fo whatever guys are left have fun. Thanks to everyone who contributes. As me and Don have said countless times you guys keep this site rocking and rolling. Appreciate it brothers.