2019 Alabama Crimson Tide

Shadowlight

Master
Since 2007 white starters were 4,3,8,4,5,5,4,5,6 and 4 in 2018. They drop to 2 this season.

Playing by the rules since the member who signed up to write up Alabama has not posted since the end of June I am taking the liberty to review Alabama. Apology in advance to the member but I don't want the season to start without a Bama write up so here goes.

This continues to be one of the most odious caste outfits in college football. Does anyone like that arrogant prick of a head coach Nick Saban? Doubt it.

I have disliked them for years now but I will give them some credit. Unlike so many teams and conferences that sport all black defenses at least Alabama, and a few other SEC teams, play physical football and tough defense. That however is not the norm. Most all black defenses play that wimpy basketball on grass crap which annoys me to no end.

Overall this is another grim season for the Black ( oops) Crimson Tide. Couldn't find a white defender on the two deep. Actually couldn't find white defenders on the three deep either.

On offense the two deep features OL Tommy Brown and Hunter Brannon. Back up QB Mac Jones has talent so if Tua goes down Jones should pick up the slack without missing beat. This team sports a lot of touted black wide receivers and some have a lot of speed. Tua is surrounded by talent which makes one wonder how good Tua is given the fact he slackened off some as the season wore on. Alabama QBs have not exactly been tearing up the NFL of late.

Junior TE Miller Forristall is a big swift weapon who will probably start popping up on NFL draft boards down the road.

The most interesting player on the roster is redshirt freshman Slade Bolden. He is listed as a WR but much like true freshman Jake Smith of Texas, Bolden represents the new wave of white players that are following in the footsteps of Taysom Hill. Swiss army knife players who can do everything. Paul Hornung is an historical source of this type of player. And they usually are associated with being winners like Hornung.

Now since Bama is very deep in the WR department it will be tough for Bolden to get significant playing time. However since he is so versatile and athletic there is always a chance he sees the field more than expected. He can run with speed and agility, pass the ball and catch the ball and of course contribute on special teams one way or another. Someone to keep an eye on that is for sure.

Bolden won't be the first non QB/TE white skilled player to be featured on Saban coached Bama squad. In 2015 senior transfer WR Richard Mullaney caught 38 passes for 390 yards and 5 touchdowns. They followed him up with senior transfer WR Gehrig Dieter who had a 15-214-4 stat line.

But Bolden is that rare Alabama offensive white skilled player who is being developed from the ground up. In fact I have been wracking my brain. When was the last white Alabama WR other than the two above who has made an impact. Off the top of my head nobody comes to mind. Deluxe speedster Joey Jones from the 1980's? Jones had 4.2 speed and played for Bama from 1980-1983. Must have been somebody after that?

Offense:

OG- Matt Womack
TE-Miller Forristall

Last edited: