2016 Free Agency/Retirements/Purge

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the poster who said the Packers seem to be compensating for drafting "too many Whites" this year by having backup black QBs. They better pray Rodgers stays healthy as Hundley and Williams would be utter fiascos if pressed into duty. Foles would be a legitimate quality backup who they can get at a much cheaper price now than was possible a year or two ago.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
It looks like Nick Foles is on his way out in St. Louis and the Fitzpatrick situation remains at a standstill.

Personally I would love to see Foles end up in Dallas or Green Bay as a legitimate backup for two teams that need one.

Dallas would be a good place for Foles. Foles's Achille's heel is his mobility. He needs to have a good offensive line in front of him.

Dallas, unlike the Rams, has a good offensive line. If he ended up in Dallas he could surprise people.

Let's not forget, Foles had one of the greatest seasons ever in 2013. In 2013 he was playing behind a good offensive line.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Last year's "most NFL ready receiver" who was terrible as a rookie:

Nelson Agholor's lawyer strongly denied the receiver was involved in "any criminal conduct whatsoever." Agholor is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault of an exotic dancer at Cheerleaders Gentleman's Club in Philadelphia on Thursday afternoon. "Once everybody investigates, I believe he will be exonerated," said agent Roosevelt Barnes. Agholor is expected to be interviewed by the police as part of the investigation.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Typical scenario developing at tight end -- over-hyped black with supposed great athleticism and limitless upside is slowly but surely being overtaken by the unathletic, overachieving White backup who brings his lunch pail to practice every day:

Pewter Report’s Mark Reynolds says the Bucs are "concerned" with Austin Seferian-Jenkins. ASJ’s twitter rant made headlines, but his on-field struggles are the real development. There’s reports he’s not guaranteed to start after missing nine games last season. Based on talent, Seferian-Jenkins should hold off Cameron Brate, but he’s entering a make-or-break year.

Heretic

Master
Typical scenario developing at tight end -- over-hyped black with supposed great athleticism and limitless upside is slowly but surely being overtaken by the unathletic, overachieving White backup who brings his lunch pail to practice every day:

Pewter Report’s Mark Reynolds says the Bucs are "concerned" with Austin Seferian-Jenkins. ASJ’s twitter rant made headlines, but his on-field struggles are the real development. There’s reports he’s not guaranteed to start after missing nine games last season. Based on talent, Seferian-Jenkins should hold off Cameron Brate, but he’s entering a make-or-break year.
Funny, for Whites there's never any "guarantee" that they are going to start, not even if they started the prior season and performed well. As for "talent" if Brate beats out Seferian-Jenkins, then doesn't that mean that he's the one that really had the talent after all? Basic logic would dictate that, but not in the Pravda-esque writing styles and thought meanderings of NFL sportswriters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If the media reports it, it must have happened that way:

Dallas Cowboys running back Darren McFadden has been tagged “injury prone” throughout his career, but his latest health problem had nothing to do with football.
McFadden underwent surgery for a broken elbow on Tuesday after participating in OTAs. But what caused the injury if it wasn’t practice?

From USA TODAY Sports’ Eric Prisbell: Sometime over Memorial Day weekend, Dallas Cowboys running back Darren McFadden tried to catch his falling cell phone while at home and landed on his elbow, breaking the bone. “Cracked his elbow instead of the phone,” said Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown, who recounted the story Tuesday at the team’s minicamp.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
McFadden is a great case of the caste system and its application of black privilege. He was the 4th overall pick back in 2008 I believe. He has never lived up to the hype granted to him from his college career. He seems to be brittle
and injured often yet he continues to be seen as a primary running back.

The irony here is that at Arkansas they had McFadden and Felix Jones who was also a 1st round pick that washed out of the league and Peyton Hillis who was the best of all three of them. If Hillis didn't screw himself over after his breakout 2010 campaign with contract issues he would of easily been the best NFL Rb out of the three of them. Even as a caste system victim I would argue he was a better player than jones and at least equal to McFadden without being given any of the black privilege they received.

Upside

Mentor
Best Available Free Agents:
QB-
Fitzpatrick - Fitz will likely resign with the Jets. Denver is the only other team I can see making a play for him. Fitz put up the most productive season for a QB in team history, so I don't understand the hardball stance by the Jets. Heh, any black quarterback that throws for 30+ TDs in a season would have half the teams in the league trying to give him $20 million/year.
Manziel - I'm rooting for him, but it's pretty clear he has been blackballed. This is Tebow 2.0, and it doesn't help that the kid just can't get out of his own way. However, I do expect someone to sign him at some point.
Flynn - His chances of being a starter in this league are all but over, but should find work as a backup when camp gets started.

RB-
Gerhart - Unless he was to move to fullback, a starting gig may not be in the cards. However, I'd be speechless if no one gives him a shot as a backup. Ideally, Miami, Cleveland, or the Giants would be great landing spot.

FB-
Kuhn - Most likely will be signed once camp gets underway. I think GB will move on, but there are plenty of teams out there that can use a John Kuhn.
Clutts - Solid lead blocker, and receiver out of the backfield. Should find work around camp time.

WR-
Welker - What team wouldn't want a Wes Welker? The guy can get open and move the sticks in almost any situation. I'd love to see him sign with either the Colts or the Saints. It's funny reading fan comments on any Welker article on NFL.com. You'd swear this country is overrun with doctors, trying to talk Wes into retirement. If the man wants to play, let him play...

TE-
Daniels - At 33, he'd still be a decent starting option on most teams. He put up a respectable 500+ yards last season, and was rewarded with being shown the door. I'd like to see one last run with Houston. Raiders, Jets, and Bills would be good fits as well.

OL-
I see a lot of bums littering these o-lines. I just don't understand how clowns like King Dunlap, Roger Saffold, Gosder Cherilus, and Dallas Thomas have managed to be starters pretty much their entire careers, despite lousy play and perfectly timed mental mistakes...
Sendlein - was a fringe pro-bowler just a few seasons ago, should find work somewhere.
Montgomery - After a more than solid stint with the Redskins, has suddenly become a journeyman. Hopefully someone gives him a shot.
Legursky - Always seems to be one of the better performers on otherwise poor o-lines.
Long - after sitting out most of 2014 & 2015, I have to assume he's healthy by now.

DL-
Hayden - Has been a starter in Dallas for the last few years. I doubt he'll latch on as a starter at this point, but should find work as a rotational run stuffer. CHI, MIA, or OAK would all be ideal landing spots.
Biermann - Has the versatility to line up anywhere in the front 7. One of Atlanta's best defenders over the last several years, became expendable when they signed the great Courtney Upshaw, and his five (5) career sacks, to 'fix' the pass rush... Would be a capable starter at 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. NO, TB, BUF, CLE, or the Jets would be a good fit.

LB-
Hawk - One of the most productive LBs in the league over the last decade. Looking at the projected lineups, Hawk could easily step in and start on nearly a dozen teams. Lions, Giants, and Broncos would be nice landing spots.
Trusnik - Chase Blackburn 2.0.. Has to fight to make the team, but usually ends up starting and playing pretty well by years end, due to injuries to the 'real' athletes.
Matthews - Early on, if Casey Matthews had been judged on his own performance, instead of having the disadvantage of being compared to Clay, he'd probably still be starting in Philly...
Studebaker - was a pretty decent player in Indy a few years ago, but haven't heard much from him lately.
Thomas - I thought Chase Thomas was going to be a star, and still could be; he just needs an opportunity.
Kaiser - Another Stanford guy lost in the shuffle.. Tom Keiser accumulated 9 sacks and 2 interceptions in spot duty, during his first 3 years in the league after going undrafted. Seemed promising; what happened?
Solomon - Was the talk of Cleveland training camp last season, in line to start no less. As luck would have it, he was injured, and I haven't heard his name since...

S-
Dahl - Contrary to popular belief, Dahl put together a pretty solid season last year for the Giants, despite the utter incompetence, by which he was surrounded... It's laughable to me that Landon Collins has been all but guaranteed his starting position, but the team felt they had to 'move on' from Craig Dahl, who was easily one of the best players on defense last year for the Giants. I really don't know what people are looking at when they assess these rosters. Anyhow, good fits would include LA, DET, CAR, IND, PIT, or TEN.
Sunseri - The Saints made a mistake by giving up on Sunseri. If he stays healthy, he is a future starter in this league. Remember, he probably would have been a 2nd rounder had he not torn his ACL at Alabama.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Don't forget Brian Hartline is still available. Still youngish with 2 thousand yard seasons under his belt. Should latch on but what are teams waiting for?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Call me cynical but Fitzpatrick is the only surefire signing out of the bunch, and he may screw it up if he holds out much longer as the Jets will turn to Geno Smith with Petty and Hackenberg backing him up.

Hartline might latch on somewhere, but the fact that no one showed interest in him after Cleveland cut him is telling. A few of the others might become a special teams demon, but for the most part we've seen the last of them in the NFL.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Fitzpatrick was stupid to holdout. I hate seeing that quasi retarded dullard
Geno sMiff getting any sort of credibility and chance as a starting qb.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the Packers are afraid to pair Janis outside with Jordy; one great White outside receiver starting with another potentially great one? Looks like it's verboten as Janis is being turned into a White Special Teams Demon:

Green Bay Packers WR Jeff Janis has been receiving first-team repetitions with the kickoff return team. That could change when WR Ty Montgomery (ankle) returns, but Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette doesn't believe it will. Janis has the measurables but just can't get the most out of his talent. The Packers are clearly trying to find a role for him as he figures it out but he's got to be running short on chances with head coach Mike McCarthy. As it stands, he won't be on any but the deepest rosters.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Another Janis article. Be consistent, ok give him a chance to play and he can prove his ability.

http://m.packers.com/news/article/e...ff-janis-6c6e8655-b3bf-405e-a52d-033da4f92015

Abbrederis getting ready for camp. In a realistic, fair world, both Janis and Abby make the team. Packers admit Montgomery and Adams were wasted picks and they move on with the more talented and cheaper duo of Janis and Abbrederis.. Just hoping both can avoid the injury bug.

http://m.packers.com/news/article/j...petition-4b6ab9ad-23b3-48ff-8778-5af023d71997

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good thing the Browns drafted Cody Kessler. What will be the excuses from the media and DWFs when Griffin still sucks?

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon says Robert Griffin III lacked for "wow" moments this offseason, and was highly inconsistent. McManamon says "for every good throw Griffin executed, he had a bad one." It meshes with coach Hue Jackson's recent statement that RGIII is still "mastering the quarterback position." Griffin's fundamentals were in ruins by the time he was banished to the bench in Washington. His career won't get back on track if he can't master at least some of the little things.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Good thing the Browns drafted Cody Kessler. What will be the excuses from the media and DWFs when Griffin still sucks?

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon says Robert Griffin III lacked for "wow" moments this offseason, and was highly inconsistent. McManamon says "for every good throw Griffin executed, he had a bad one." It meshes with coach Hue Jackson's recent statement that RGIII is still "mastering the quarterback position." Griffin's fundamentals were in ruins by the time he was banished to the bench in Washington. His career won't get back on track if he can't master at least some of the little things.
There won't be. The MSM will just push RGIII into a closet and hope he stays silent then retires in a year or so, with him citing "I just wasn't into football anymore, I lost the passion approx 3 to 4 years ago. I want to pursue acting." Same old story when an epic affelet flames out too soon or wasn't very good in the first place. See JaDufas Russell, except in his case, "where da purple drank?"

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

It amazes me how BSPN - who was at the center of the gremlin hype train has the gall to make excuses for the guy. Especially regarding his fundamentals - which he never had in the first place. They ignored that though as they were hyping him up as the evolution of the position.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Janis still shining, McCarthy and Thompson having sleepless nights wondering if they dare give a second big and fast White receiver a lot of playing time:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, third-year WR Jeff Janis "continually beat" the Packers' first-team defensive backs on deep passes during OTAs and minicamp. The Journal-Sentinel names Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as Janis' burn victims, all of whom are high-quality starters in a pass defense that last year ranked No. 6 in Football Outsiders' DVOA. Beat writer Ryan Wood believes "Janis is coming," and states he "has a real chance to carve a role" in the Packers' passing game if Janis cuts down on his mistakes. At this point, we'd deem Janis the favorite for Green Bay's No. 3 receiver job ahead of Davante Adams and Jared Abbrederis.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Janis still shining, McCarthy and Thompson having sleepless nights wondering if they dare give a second big and fast White receiver a lot of playing time:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, third-year WR Jeff Janis "continually beat" the Packers' first-team defensive backs on deep passes during OTAs and minicamp. The Journal-Sentinel names Sam Shields, Damarious Randall, and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as Janis' burn victims, all of whom are high-quality starters in a pass defense that last year ranked No. 6 in Football Outsiders' DVOA. Beat writer Ryan Wood believes "Janis is coming," and states he "has a real chance to carve a role" in the Packers' passing game if Janis cuts down on his mistakes. At this point, we'd deem Janis the favorite for Green Bay's No. 3 receiver job ahead of Davante Adams and Jared Abbrederis.

If Janis ends up playing a lot this year and some of the Packers' new white defenders start and/or play a lot, then the Packers I think would be the whitest team in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, they could be as fun to watch as the Patriots this season. I'm hoping Clay Matthews, now back on the outside where he's most effective, is joined by Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez as starting inside linebackers. From what I'm reading, Martinez is doing very well. Their only real competition inside is Sam Barrington, who missed all of last season on IR. Hopefully Kyler Fackrell will also impress and see time across from Matthews at the other OLB position. It would be cool if three of their four starting linebackers are overachievers this year. Then again, McCarthy was slow to give Ryan playing time last year, but it would seem to be only a matter of time until their new talent at LB plays. . .

Romosexual

Fitzpatrick was stupid to holdout. I hate seeing that quasi retarded dullard
Geno sMiff getting any sort of credibility and chance as a starting qb.
On the contrary, I think its a great decision, Smiff is awful, the Jets and media think they can scrape by with him and Fitz is asking too much, after two/three games Woody Johnson will drive a brinks van filled to the brim to Fitz himself. Smiff is not a viable starter, Fitzpatrick is.

Upside

Mentor
Yep, they could be as fun to watch as the Patriots this season. I'm hoping Clay Matthews, now back on the outside where he's most effective, is joined by Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez as starting inside linebackers. From what I'm reading, Martinez is doing very well. Their only real competition inside is Sam Barrington, who missed all of last season on IR. Hopefully Kyler Fackrell will also impress and see time across from Matthews at the other OLB position. It would be cool if three of their four starting linebackers are overachievers this year. Then again, McCarthy was slow to give Ryan playing time last year, but it would seem to be only a matter of time until their new talent at LB plays. . .

I agree, I'm anxious to see how the GB starting lineup pans out.. I'll be looking for DE Dean Lowry to at least get into the line rotation as well.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Buddy Ryan, one of the godfathers of the Caste System when it comes to coaching, died today. Unfortunately his legacy is carried on by his son Rex. Both Buddy and Rex are beloved by the media, which is telling. I'm expecting the Bills to once again not match pre-season expectations, so maybe Rex will get fired at the end of the year and won't get another chance to be a head coach after previously turning the Jets into bottom feeders. But I doubt we'll be that lucky, there's probably another team or two that will hire Piggy and his "charismatic" personality.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I somehow came across this moronic, anti-White piece of trash. Brate has been much better than the way over-hyped Seferian-Jenkins, while Humphries showed a lot as a rookie and should be Tampa's third receiver but won't be allowed to be because the team has some affletes with "upside" that as in most cases somehow won't be realized:

The hyperbolic Adam Humphries and Cameron Brate hype

Excerpt:
What’s weird, here, is that somehow there’s more hype around Humphries and Brate, than there is around the much more talented and productive Mike Evans and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. The latter two are both healthy, will have a full season with their quarterback for the first time in their careers, and have been much more productive than Humphries and Brate. Evans has had two 1,000+ yard seasons and is just 23 years old, while Austin Seferian-Jenkins is a year older and has been productive when healthy — he just hasn’t been healthy a lot.

One reason for that hype, is that Humphries and Brate have had fewer high-profile drops. Another is that they’re less visible on the field: for some reason, a portion of the Bucs fanbase really doesn’t like visibly excited players with some flaws. That Evans asks for flags and Seferian-Jenkins has silly celebrations doesn’t actually matter for their play on the field, nor does it make them worse players, but it makes them less sympathetic to some.

We should never mistake sympathy for actual quality, though. Brate and Humphries may be sympathetic, but they’re also very limited. Neither is a particularly good athlete. Humphries is too small to ever win on the outside, while Brate is an absolutely terrible blocker and doesn’t have the speed to be a threat down the field. They’re both good for the exact same thing: reliably running short routes on quick throws. There’s a role for players like that in any offense, and I certainly won’t argue they’re not useful, but they combined for 548 receiving yards. Mike Evans put up more than that in half a season, twice. And had Austin Seferian-Jenkins stayed healthy, he would likely have easily surpassed those numbers in each of his two seasons as well.

If you want to be happy for some backups with defined but limited roles, go for it. But don’t expect Brate and Humphries to be more than that. You’ll come away very disappointed. http://www.bucsnation.com/2016/6/19/11973724/the-hyperbolic-adam-humphries-and-cameron-brate-hype

Some readers called the author out with some good comments.

Romosexual

https://withthefirstpick.com/2016/06/30/rolando-mcclain-doesnt-get-it/

Opening for AJ Hawk with the Cowboys, as über-bust Rolando McClain gets busted for substance abuse, again, career should be over, but he has that upside, chances are he will get one more shot as some cuck gets blinded by his melanin enhanced measurables.
McClain was a just above terrible pile jumper for the majority of his NFL career, so AJ would be an upgrade, even though(imo) he is not even a mid/low level lb at this point, upgrading pile jumpers.