2013 white vs black starter position battles

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
This is fantastic news. In their base I formation offense they will have the 5 whites on the line, plus QB, FB and WR. That makes 8. Am I missing anything? Too much to ask for a white TE in Green Bay?

TE position is crowded right now. Hoping Stoneburner can continue to impress. He's a future star in the league.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
The Packers will have an all-White offensive line again! The snow plow is complete by Don Barclay beating out sumo Newhouse for the RT spot.

Don Barclay is expected to open the season as the Packers' starting right tackle.

Green Bay's first-team front five is taking shape, from left to right reading LT David Bakhtiari, LG Josh Sitton, C Evan Dietrich-Smith, RG T.J. Lang, and RT Barclay. Barclay has outplayed Marshall Newhouse in practice and preseason games, and is one of the team's top run blockers. His winning of the job is good news for Eddie Lacy, who is going to be a 2013 offensive focal point.

That IS good news! I am looking forward to the Packers killing someone like Seattle on their way to the playoffs, (yes, even though I don't put much faith in my Cowboys going far) I'm hoping The Pack can kill our nemesis' like SanFranSissy and/or Seattle's thugs, or better still I hope they demolish the over-hyped Deadskins on their way to a Super Bowl.

white is right

Hall of Famer

dwid

Hall of Famer
I love this analysis of Mulatto Hilliard you wonder why he is even in camp...:bowl:http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/8/21/4643918/lex-hilliard-out-for-the-season

its a damn shame when Chase Reynolds follows him at the same damn school and broke all of his records, is faster and shiftier, better at pass pro and receiving, only on practice squads, and that is due to the ties he has to Jeff Fisher's son.

You want to take a look at some of the small school "gems" out there. I noticed Saints fans were pumped up about this guy Khiry Robinson, who is supposed to have a similar role to Chris Ivory this year, battling for the 4th rb spot (which is actually a big role in the Saints offense being that they rotate backs so much). From the the fan's description, the guy is 220+ pounds and runs in the 4.5 range. Turns out, he is between 5'9 and 5'10, a whopping 206 pounds and ran a 4.71....at his pro day, which means its closer to a 4.8. He has looked good against 3rd and 4th stringers, good knack for finding the hole and following his blockers, but can you imagine a White rb from a small school like West Texas A&M getting a shot like this? We have like at least a dozen of small school backs every year that are around 200 pounds 4.5 to 4.6 speed, with great agility, a few with better measurables, and these are only the kids who managed to get through all the bs. Just like there are at least a dozen of White safeties around 200 pounds and 4.5 speed every year.

speaking of Saints, ridiculous that they cut Chase Thomas he should be battling for a starter spot. Will Smith looks more like a 3-4 de and looked pathetic trying to drop back. Both the two guys expected to step up were Martez Wilson and Junior Galette, both unproven and both injured right now. Thomas didn't even have a chance to showcase his talents. So much for all that stuff Rex Ryan spewed out of his mouth about liking Chase for the defense.

Chase Thomas was claimed off waivers by Oakland. A quick scan of their fans reveals several that are puzzled as to why a player as good as the former Stanford star wasn't drafted. How can anyone be puzzled by that? Willful blindness. Anyway, glad he gets another chance, if he actually gets one.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thomas to the Raiders is awesome. He should get the opportunity to get on the field there. The Raiders have cleared out their roster and they don't have very much depth. It'd be nice to see Chase emulate flashes of the old time Raider Greats(Long,Matuszak,Hendricks) that gave the team their bad boy image in the 70's and 80's!

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Chase Thomas had better get a chance with this absolutely dreadful defense. The Raiders have sucked for years now. It makes you wonder how a 4 year starter for a perenial Top 10 team the last couple of years that had some nice stats; 27.5 sacks, and 9 forced fumbles wasn't drafted. Oh yeah, I forgot, Thomas is white. If Thomas doesn't get a chance with this bottom feeder, who hasn't came close a winning record in over 10 years now, it only reinforces the point that these "great" "talent-evaluating" "coaches" don't look for the best players.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Right now we're looking at three teams with all-White offensive lines -- Patriots, Packers, Eagles. It's been a number of years since that was the case, and the Browns would have one too if a recent trade wasn't vetoed by the league office. And no teams with all-black lines but a number of teams with mostly White lines. I watched a bit of the Vikings-Bills last night and the Bills started 4 Whites on the o-line, and both teams featured White tight ends along with WR Hogan for Buffalo and RB Gerhart and FB Line for Minnesota. Both teams generally had 6-7 Whites on the field on offense in the first half of the game.

I don't have hard facts, but it appears undeniable that the White offensive lineman is making a nice little comeback in conjunction with a lot of Whites entrenched at tight end at a time when the position is being thrown to more than ever before, along with a still small but undeniable sprinkling of White wide receivers. The downside is that the black QB experiment is being pushed more than ever (though it's not yet a success despite all the media hype), and defense of course remains a well-beyond ridiculous black stronghold.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Good news!