2012 London Olympic Games Athletics

TBProdigy

Guru
The Rupp kid ran a beautiful race. He ran smart a real smart race and then had the position to contend for the win. He seemed very happy with a silver. They said he's the first American to medal in the 10,000 since Billy Mills.

I do have to add though that I've never seen a guy so happy to lose a race.

Gotta agree with this, it was like he embraced being in Mo's shaddow, copying his every move. At the end he showed a lightning burst of speed noone could live with, way faster than Farrah. If he would have kicked earlier and held it theres no doubt he would of beat Farrah to the line, however a silver is still a great result.

I also can't say anything bad about Farrah, he isn't your average disrespectful negro

mastermulti

Master
Beautiful race is right, Hock. Like many people I think Rupp could have won the gold (he finished way faster than anyone), but there's the question of why he didn't kick as soon as his best friend/training parter Farah, and some think he allowed Farah to win in front of his "home" crowd.

maybe Farrah has the quicker change of pace. The Africans are very good at that traditionally.

Gemili and the young Japanese Yamagata are the only hopes for a non-typical 100m result.

Yamagata is an exciting prospect. Just turned 20, two years younger than Lemaitre, to run a new PB of 10.07 in the Olympics is great.
He was only at 10.80 three years ago but 4th in the world youth champs.
It is unlikely he'll reproduce that in the semis. Very difficult for either of them to go more than one more race.

white is right

Hall of Famer
maybe Farrah has the quicker change of pace. The Africans are very good at that traditionally.

Gemili and the young Japanese Yamagata are the only hopes for a non-typical 100m result.

Yamagata is an exciting prospect. Just turned 20, two years younger than Lemaitre, to run a new PB of 10.07 in the Olympics is great.
He was only at 10.80 three years ago but 4th in the world youth champs.
It is unlikely he'll reproduce that in the semis. Very difficult for either of them to go more than one more race.
Of the three non Blacks(not including Bailey) the Japanese runner probably has the best chance of getting a lane in the final. His 10.07 looked like there was more in the tank when he ran it. He will need it to make the final as the worst time making the final could be a near 10 flat or even a high 9.9X.

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
Does anyone know what time NBC will broadcast the 400m semifinals today? There schedules are so woefully put together, I cannot find out when it is.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Gemili ran a 10.06, but still didn't make the final.
He beat the Japanese sprinter who ran 10.10.

trackster

Mentor
Three guys through to the 400m final. That's not counting Santos, who some might count.

Both Borlees made it through, as well as super-teen Steve Solomon, who just recently turned 19.

Solomon went sub 45 for the first time--not many have ever done it at that age. Plus, he doesn't look especially mature.

Kirani James and Santos are heavy favorites in the finals, but don't count out the Borlees.

mastermulti

Master
Three guys through to the 400m final. That's not counting Santos, who some might count.

Both Borlees made it through, as well as super-teen Steve Solomon, who just recently turned 19.

Solomon went sub 45 for the first time--not many have ever done it at that age. Plus, he doesn't look especially mature.

Kirani James and Santos are heavy favorites in the finals, but don't count out the Borlees.

first time I've ever seen a 400 final with no Brits and no Americans - unbelievable

mastermulti

Master
Bolt in total control - amazing when you look at the opposition.

Ryan Bailey ran 9.88 but was 3 meters down. How this event has evolved in 20 years!

Summing up, Gemili and Yamagata performed to the best of their ability and did really well.
Other non African heritage sprinters were just chaff to be blown away in the preliminary rounds

The Hock

Master
Beautiful race is right, Hock. Like many people I think Rupp could have won the gold (he finished way faster than anyone), but there's the question of why he didn't kick as soon as his best friend/training parter Farah, and some think he allowed Farah to win in front of his "home" crowd.

At any rate, even the silver was magnificent. Maybe I'll start a new thread to explain the importance of the achievement.

Yeah I agree that the silver was great. The last lap I was up and yelling (at the TV from Northern California but Rupps still may have heard me, or at least the neighbors did) "make it to the podium! make it to the podium!" I've come to realize that at the Olympic level, unless you're a Michael Phelps, medaling is a great accomplishment. Gold is the sweetest, but silver and bronze are also sweet indeed.

I'm just so happy for the kid.

freddie

Guru
I haven’t seen the NBC (US) TV coverage of the Track 100m finals but the Canadian commentators by their tone and attitude basically told the viewers: forget what you have seen for the last week this preeminent, headliner, marquee event of the Olympics is all that matter regarding innate sporting talent. I used to be a sprinter but I will be the first to admit that it does not define athleticism. Tell the lie enough times and the public will believe it. Sickening.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
I haven’t seen the NBC (US) TV coverage of the Track 100m finals but the Canadian commentators by their tone and attitude basically told the viewers: forget what you have seen for the last week this preeminent, headliner, marquee event of the Olympics is all that matter regarding innate sporting talent. I used to be a sprinter but I will be the first to admit that it does not define athleticism. Tell the lie enough times and the public will believe it. Sickening.
How many sprinters are mediocre semi-pro athletes after bans from track and field or after retiring from the sport? Ben Johnson had hands of stone when tried out for the CFL. Duane Chambers was a mediocre rugby player and so many medalists in track and field have flamed out in American football.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Damn it!! lousy lane assignments for the Borlee brothers.
Yes it will be tough to medal for both brothers as 8 has to run blind and 1 feels like you are too far behind so the runner will tend to go out too hard. It should be a dog fight for a bronze and if Santos burns out trying to keep up with James the silver medal could be won by a number of runners. James does appear to be the class of the field though.

Matra2

Master
Does anyone know what time NBC will broadcast the 400m semifinals today? There schedules are so woefully put together, I cannot find out when it is.

The USA must be the only country on earth, including North Korea, that did not get to see the 100 metre dash live. Truly astonishing in this day and age.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Amazing how they're all more muscular than Ben Johnson was at the height of his juicing. :icon_confused:

These mugs running 9.6, 9.7, 9.8 times like nothing...there's no way they're not loaded up on HGH and/or other high end PEDs.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
These mugs running 9.6, 9.7, 9.8 times like nothing...there's no way they're not loaded up on HGH and/or other high end PEDs.

I think the wisdom of Lemaitre and his coach are showing through, now.

Christophe would have just been decimated by that field anyway. He's not ready for that steroid freak show. He's like Mennea; skinny string bean. How can he compete with these drugged-out freaks?. It never ceases to amaze me how people STILL attack that poor Greek sprinter (Kenteris) for his supposedly drugged gold medal in Sydney, yet were PERFECTLY willing to embrace Lashawn Merritt had he not collapsed from taking too many horse steroids just now.

Kenteris in 2000 may have been drugged (if he was, and I'm not saying he was, he wasn't any more drugged than anyone else), but if so, he just beat a bunch of other cheaters.

Lemaitre might actually get a medal in the 200 but it will be a close-run thing. At least if he makes it to the final, they won't all be Black. I remember being a kid in 2000 and watching Kenteris, the only White boy, kick the sh** out of his competition.

I hope Lemaitre does the same. Unlikely, but maybe. Anyway, he'll influence other kids to take up sprinting, I hope.

Many years from now, when it doesn't matter anymore, it will come out that a bunch of these sprinters cheated. Just look at the track record, pun intended. Carl Lewis. Cheater. Ben Johnson. Cheater. Flo Jo. Cheater. Mo Greene? Cheated, and busted. Marion Jones. See Mo Greene. Gatlin. Cheater. Merritt. Busted.

These are just off the top of my head.

It's only a matter of time.

Trouble is, people have short memories when it comes to forgiving negro offenders.

But you mention John Rocker, nearly twenty years later? Oh, he racissss....

ANYway...

The Olympics can always be counted on for some nice suprises. That silver in the men's 10,000 meter was nice, and it's good to have some Whites in the 400 meter final.

trackster

Mentor
Well, they tried to screw us in the 800: They put seven white guys in the same heat in order to eliminate as many as possible. Fortunately, two of the "fastest losers" came from that heat and went through.

So the major loss from the heats was Lewandowski.

The fourth heat was stacked. Symmonds took no chances and sprinted to the win. Some Nova Scotian guy named Geoffrey Harris snuck in for second--that's great, but I don't expect much from him. Kszczot turned his head about five times on the straight and it nearly cost him, as he got the last auto qualifier in third. Coming in fourth--amazingly--the young French kid Pierre-Ambroise Bosse--who was winning the Juniors just last year. He is a stud of the highest order. In fact, he outkicked Borzo--but Borzo was fast enough to qualify, too.

In the next two heats, two Spaniards, Lopez and Reina, qualified on place.

The heats were tough. I was really annoyed that out best runners were all in the same heat, and even though the best of them went through (others like Bube were eliminated in that heat), they had to run like hell to get there. They are badly placed for the semis now.

albinosprint

Mentor
the Olympics Mens P.E.D. 100 Meters Finals

Yes, it was 8 for 8 this year. Gatlin running as fast as he was when he got caught. Blake looked as swollen as a tick. Bailey running sub ten every race. no, nothing fishy here.