2012 Georgia Bulldogs

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The (Th)UGA "Blackdawgs" return from a 10-4 season following a drubbing via LSU in the SEC title game, followed by a defeat to Michigan State in the Outback Bowl. As with last season, the BlackDawgs look to start & play a (very) few White players. The depth chart isn't officially set yet, so the lineup isn't yet carved in stone.

Leading the offense will be QB Aaron Murray, who set an UGA (single season record) for TD passes last season. Joining Murray on the offensive side of the ball, will be TE Arthur Lynch, Watts Danzler at OT, Kolton Houston at OG & David Andrews at Center. WR Michael Bennett (6'3, 210) will see solid reps...but not likely start (despite 5 TDs with limited reps last season). Junior Dallas Lee & Hunter Long will see PT at Guard, and Dustin Royston at FB.

The defensive starters will likely remain mostly coal black, with LB Chase Vasser & S Connor Norman as the sole defensive White starters. However, CB Blake Sailors should get solid reps.

Offense (6)
QB Aaron Murray
G Kolton Houston
C David Andrews
T Watts Danzler
TE Arthur Lynch
FB Merritt Hall

Defense (2)
LB Chase Vasser
S Connor Norman

Special Teams
K Jamie Lindley
P Scott Eichler
LS Ty Frix

Last edited:

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Dixie, I'm hoping some injuries lead to those White skill players being able to play a lot more this season. Richt started 5 Whites from '05-'09, 6 in '10 and an inexcusable 2 in '11. Having 6 would be a big improvement, although still a far cry from being fair to Whites. If Chase Vasser starts at LB, he'll be the first White UGA defensive starter since David Pollack in 2004. :tsk:

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Will it take hell freezing over for TB Kyle Karempelis to get any reps this year?[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Will it take hell freezing over for TB Kyle Karempelis to get any reps this year?

Yes. Georgia still has Crowell, and they got some other five star RB now too. Richt doesnt want Kerempelis to play RB anymore for the rest of his career, although Richt would be more than happy to have him as a gunner on punt coverage. :wacko:

Also Dixie, don't forget about WR Michael Bennett!! He'll play alot, and he may even start!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Karempelis is a dumb ass for even trying to play RB at Georgia for god sakes they haven't even had a white defensive player in 8 years! It doesn't matter what kind of talent the kid has, Richt and company will always look to the next negro in line to tote the ball..

Riddlewire

Master
Add one to the offense (for the time being, anyway).

The biggest surprise is walk-on Merritt Hall listed as the first-team fullback. The 5-foot-11, 216-pound redshirt freshman from the Wesleyan School is listed ahead of Richard Samuel and Zander Ogletree.
“Merritt had a great spring,†coach Marl Richt said. “He learned what to do and he was striking people with a lot of enthusiasm. He would have earned the right to be the starter at the end of spring so we put it on the board that way.
Richt called fullback “a very high-contact position. Guys got to be very tough to do that. Richard Samuel certainly has gotten some reps at fullback and a guy that could do. Of course we’ve got Zander who has been playing the fullback position.â€

Merritt is Chad Hall's cousin. He was a stud linebacker and multi-position player in high school (highlights).

Honestly, I don't expect Merritt to keep his spot on the depth chart. It seems Richt has already fallen in love with one of his new negro boy-toys:

Freshman Quayvon Hicks could make an immediate impact at fullback.
“Quayvon, just the looks test, I don’t know if y’all have seen him play,†Richt said. “He looks like a fullback. About a 255, 260-pounder. He’s really put togther. You can see it in his eyes he can’t wait to get after it. He’s got to learn what to do, but I’d love to see him learn what to do and get his hat in the ring.â€

Merritt is out of position, anyway. He's too small for a fullback. He played some RB and TE in high school, along with his best position of LB. But I guess it's just not possible for Richt to consider multiple white defenders.

Also, for anyone still wondering about Karempelis, he's already out of the loop.

Ken Malcome and Isaiah Crowell are listed co-No. 1 on the depth chart at tailback, but Georgia could potentially go four deep at the position with freshmen Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley.

All info from this link

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Well, it looks like Georgia Free Safety Bacarri Rambo is suspended for the first four games to open the season. His backup on the depth chart is FS Connor Norman. I guess you can add Connor Norman to the list of starters for the time being as well. I don't know how long Norman will be starting with Richt as his coach, but you might as well have him starting at FS for now Dixie. :)

From Rotoworld:

Georgia senior S Bacarri Rambo will be suspended for the school's first four games after failing a random drug test.

Rambo tested positive for marijuana. The 2011 All-American's high school coach, Alan Ingram, announced the news, and added that he thinks Rambo was a victim of circumstance. Ingram claims Rambo woke up one morning during a spring break trip with friends and accidentally consumed a pot brownie. This is not Rambo's first suspension, as he missed last year's season opener for undisclosed reasons. In March, after the suspension was announced, it was rumored that Rambo may consider the Supplemental Draft but there have been no updates since.

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
So Georgia is now at 8 starters with those two additions. Interesting, this must be the highest in a while, especially on defense. This actually makes me want to root for Georgia in the SEC. If only Bennett were starting.

Hopefully, Norman and Vasser help change up that defense. Georgia has a top 300 player in LB Ryne Rankin for the recruiting class of 2013. They're going after Anzalone and Vanderdoes as well but I doubt either will sign with them.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Wow...the Dawgs are pushing pert near 10 White starters (8). BTW, I could easily see WR Bennett getting the starting nod, as his a big impact player (like Kris Durham was).

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Looks like my hopes are trying to become reality! It is now undeniable that Crowell is for sure the next Herschel Walker. :grin: The article doesn't even mention Kyle Karempelis, because he's currently 4th string, but with another injury or arrest, who knows what may happen.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/06/29/2103737/isaiah-crowell-arrested-on-weapons.html

ATHENS - Georgia tailback Isaiah Crowell was jailed early on Friday morning on three weapons charges, including two felonies.

Crowell was arrested on charges of carrying a weapon in a school zone, and having an altered ID mark, both felonies. He was also booked on a misdemeanor charge of possessing/carrying a concealed weapon.

Crowell's arrest resulted from a vehicle checkpoint on East Campus Road and Greene Street on the UGA campus, around 2:20 a.m., according to Athens-Clarke County spokesman Hilda Sorrow. Crowell was booked at 3:37 a.m. and remains in Clarke County jail, according to the jail's web site, with bond set at $7,500.

As he came through, an officer smelled an odor of marijuana. They did a consent search on the vehicle. No marijuana was found, but a handgun was found below the driver's seat. It had an altered serial number.

Crowell was the driver of the car, which had three other occupants. None of the passengers were arrested.
The arrest triggers an immediate suspension from the team, according to the UGA student-athlete handbook. Football practice doesn't begin until early August. Crowell's status with the team will obviously be evaluated, although it's not clear how long that will take.
This is the latest, and clearly most serious, in a number of incidents to befall the star-crossed tailback from Columbus, who was named the SEC freshman of the year after the 2011 season.
Crowell finished last season with a team-leading 850 rushing yards, but wheezed to the finish, plagued by numerous injuries. He finished spring practice as basically a co-starter at tailback, along with sophomore Ken Malcome. Highly-regarded freshman Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley were brought in as competition as well.
Crowell was the most heralded member of the 2011 signing class, and had an immediate impact on the team. But he was suspended twice, once for a quarter for an unspecified team issue, and then for one game for a positive marijuana test, according to sources.
But Crowell (Carver High) had drawn raves from teammates and coaches since the end of last season for his improved work habits, and the player himself said he had matured.
Head coach Mark Richt was not immediately available for comment. UGA spokesman Claude Felton said UGA officials were aware of the rest, and would have more to say later.
The arrest is also the most serious for a Georgia football player in some time. There have been various misdemeanor arrests, most recently cornerback Branden Smith for marijuana possession. But this is the first felony arrest in several years.

More details as they come.

TwentyTwo

Master
Knowing the Dawgs hadn't started a white defensive player since the days of All-American David Pollack(converted Fullback); had my eye on LB Chase Vasser the minute they signed him...figured was only a matter of time he would make an impact & hopefully not just another WSTD... Possibly the only white defender on scholarship...and not a prefered walk-on.

If the dynamic Karempelis can get 4th qtr mop-up duty(like he did vs NMSt.) & with back-up O-Lineman(think if he had 1st string O-Line in game at same time?) vs Buffalo...maybe he can can bust some 30, 50 yard runs in his limited carries...leaving Richt with no choice but to play him more in key situations & vs. conference opponets!

No doubt WR-Michael Bennett can easily be a starter...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
YOwell's TNB doesn't surprise me one iota.

BTW...:bump:

My first post here!

Looks like my hopes are trying to become reality! It is now undeniable that Crowell is for sure the next Herschel Walker. :grin: The article doesn't even mention Kyle Karempelis, because he's currently 4th string, but with another injury or arrest, who knows what may happen.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/06/29/2103737/isaiah-crowell-arrested-on-weapons.html

ATHENS - Georgia tailback Isaiah Crowell was jailed early on Friday morning on three weapons charges, including two felonies.

Crowell was arrested on charges of carrying a weapon in a school zone, and having an altered ID mark, both felonies. He was also booked on a misdemeanor charge of possessing/carrying a concealed weapon.

Crowell's arrest resulted from a vehicle checkpoint on East Campus Road and Greene Street on the UGA campus, around 2:20 a.m., according to Athens-Clarke County spokesman Hilda Sorrow. Crowell was booked at 3:37 a.m. and remains in Clarke County jail, according to the jail's web site, with bond set at $7,500.

As he came through, an officer smelled an odor of marijuana. They did a consent search on the vehicle. No marijuana was found, but a handgun was found below the driver's seat. It had an altered serial number.

Crowell was the driver of the car, which had three other occupants. None of the passengers were arrested.
The arrest triggers an immediate suspension from the team, according to the UGA student-athlete handbook. Football practice doesn't begin until early August. Crowell's status with the team will obviously be evaluated, although it's not clear how long that will take.
This is the latest, and clearly most serious, in a number of incidents to befall the star-crossed tailback from Columbus, who was named the SEC freshman of the year after the 2011 season.
Crowell finished last season with a team-leading 850 rushing yards, but wheezed to the finish, plagued by numerous injuries. He finished spring practice as basically a co-starter at tailback, along with sophomore Ken Malcome. Highly-regarded freshman Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley were brought in as competition as well.
Crowell was the most heralded member of the 2011 signing class, and had an immediate impact on the team. But he was suspended twice, once for a quarter for an unspecified team issue, and then for one game for a positive marijuana test, according to sources.
But Crowell (Carver High) had drawn raves from teammates and coaches since the end of last season for his improved work habits, and the player himself said he had matured.
Head coach Mark Richt was not immediately available for comment. UGA spokesman Claude Felton said UGA officials were aware of the rest, and would have more to say later.
The arrest is also the most serious for a Georgia football player in some time. There have been various misdemeanor arrests, most recently cornerback Branden Smith for marijuana possession. But this is the first felony arrest in several years.

More details as they come.

This is my first post on this site (I am a long time lurker), but this story is too much to let slide. Crowell's departure is no surprise at all, as he is a repeat offender since Day One, and the Dawgs have a pre-thug culture in Athens, and have for a few years; really, ever since David Greene and David Pollack, and a bunch of white linemen and fullbacks left. In the aftermath of Crowell's dismissal, one of his teammates took to facebook to lash out at the fans for criticizing. The backlash and the support for this has been unreal and revealing. It's like a Rorschach Test for who's a DWF, and who's not. Troll the Georgia message boards for some entertainment. There actually might be some limits to what fans will accept.

In related Georgia stuff, I notice that none of the preseason mags talk about Michael Bennett at all, even though he had more TD catches than even Malcolm Mitchell, but they all mention Chris Conley. Bennett outperformed Conley, but doesn't have as much ......... "upside" I guess. I simply cannot wait for the inevitable comparison of the 6'3" 210 lbs Bennett to Wes Welker to be made in my presence. Cheers. I doubt I will be a very frequent poster, but this site speaks to things I have seen for 3+ decades in the NFL and college football. :thumbup:

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Welcome to the site! I like your observation that comments supporting Crowell are a "Rorschach Test for who's a DWF", how true, I see the same thing on sports boards everywhere.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Awake in America, thanks for deciding to post! I know there are lots of people who regularly lurk on CF, including some folks I know personally, and I encourage them all to join the conversation. :yo:

Just because you register to post doesn't mean you have to post all the time. Imho, having more intelligent posters making more intelligent posts equals a more informative and entertaining site, and that is a good thing!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Awake in America, welcome to Caste Football! :smiley:

Marlon Brown's been moved from wr to cb, so this could be Michael Bennett's chance to move up to 1st string.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Marlon Brown's been moved from wr to cb, so this could be Michael Bennett's chance to move up to 1st string.

Thanks for the update KS. Like Kris Durham before him, Bennett should be a shoe-in to start. I expect some big plays from him this season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kaiser, that is good news! With Connor Norman starting at FS for at least the first third of the season, this team could have 9 White starters for a while. I'm sure some pro-black DWF "true dawg fans" will be confused and/or upset by this positive development.

By the way, Kaiser, did you get the personal messages I sent you?

Kaiser, that is good news! With Connor Norman starting at FS for at least the first third of the season, this team could have 9 White starters for a while. I'm sure some pro-black DWF "true dawg fans" will be confused and/or upset by this positive development.

By the way, Kaiser, did you get the personal messages I sent you?

Ah yes, I did get them. Didn't see them until you mentioned it because I never check my inbox.

I'm going to be putting up the Kansas and Kansas state posts soon, I was waiting for more official depth charts since I don't like using projected depth charts which are often pretty innacurate and just someone's best guess. Looks like Charlie Weis has released a Kansas fall depth chart which I'll use.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yes, I did get them. Didn't see them until you mentioned it because I never check my inbox.

I'm going to be putting up the Kansas and Kansas state posts soon, I was waiting for more official depth charts since I don't like using projected depth charts which are often pretty innacurate and just someone's best guess. Looks like Charlie Weis has released a Kansas fall depth chart which I'll use.

If you go to your account, then settings, then general settings, you can choose to receive notification of PMs by email and/or by a pop-up window here on the forum.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
If you go to your account, then settings, then general settings, you can choose to receive notification of PMs by email and/or by a pop-up window here on the forum.

Sounds good, Kaiser. I'm curious how far off Steele's depth chart is from Weis'. On the old board, I used to have it set to get an email for every PM. Now I use the pop-up option. It is very convenient.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hey KS and Reb, what say y'all two mugs take that thar Kansas chit-chat on outta the BlackDawgs thread will ya?! :wink: :grin: