2012 BNP Paribas Open

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I’ve only watched a match or two from the tournament. The big guns show up for this event. This weekend and tonight should have some fireworks. This evening Nadal has beaten David Nalbandian in a tough match. As I type the unbeaten (for 2012) Azarenka has a set lead over Kerber of Germany. After that match, Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic, who knocked off Caroline Wozniacki, square off.

Nadal will face Federer in one semi-final and Djokovic will take on John Isner in the other.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
this story cracked me up:

Tom Tebbutt, a former columnist for Toronto’s Globe and Mail, was in the front row of the spectators and he clearly heard what he said. He tweeted, “Sat very first row - dead centre behind the court for Llodra - Gulbis - heard a lot. Deplorable behaviour by Llodra - read next tweet. ML smacked ball out of court, threw racquet, called Gulbis supporter in crowd “a f–king Chinese. I confirmed later with brother of woman."

http://blogs.bettor.com/Michael-Llo...und-match-in-Indian-Wells-Tennis-News-a136525

he also said what would translate to "Chinese whore" in french

what i loved above all is llodra's answer to the racism accusations:
"I love Chinese," he said. "I can totally make love with a Chinese girl."

:grin:

Quiet Speed

Mentor
John Isner pulled off the upset of Djokovic in 3 sets. Isner hit the usual amount of bombs on his serve, but he also hung in the rallies just long enough to pick a spot to become aggressive and uncork a do or die shot. He had a good deal of success with the plan. Djokovic played well, but never looked totally comfortable.

Federer defeated Rafael Nadal in straight sets in the other semis. Roger was on his game and surprisingly Nadal was out of sorts in the windy conditions. Regardless, Roger was smokin’.

Azarenka meets Sharapova in the final. Cursed Ana Ivanovic pulled up lame with a hip injury and retired in the match with Sharapova. It was anybody’s match until that point. Sharapova is seeking revenge against Azarenka for the Australian Open defeat in the finals.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Roger captures the title. Roger is on a good roll going all the way back to his loss in last year’s U. S. Open. I did not get to see the finals between Federer and Isner. I did catch the Azarenka and Sharapova final. Azarenka beat Sharapova again. In large part, it was a case of Sharapova cracking first in the 100 mph rallies.

Roger Federer Most Consistent Tennis Player in 2012 (So Far): Fan’s Take