2011/2012 Bowl Game Thread

Riddlewire

Master
Case Keenum is torching "Linebacker U".
If any player was hurt by ESPN's hype campaign for Griffin, it was Keenum.
He's showing everyone who the real best Quarterback in the state of Texas is.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Rex has 71 yards at the half against South Carolina's all-afro defense. He has accounted for 108 out of Nebraska's 189 total yards thus far.

Let's hope for a strong 2nd half!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Heard the diversity ESPN announcer qualify a compliment of Rex with "he may not be the fastest guy around but he's elusive." More Caste doublespeak to further indoctrinate and confound the ignorant sheeple masses.

Riddlewire

Master
I didn't watch the replay of that MSU touchdown because I assumed it was obviously good. But apparently they called him down? Did anyone see that? Was that the correct call?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Cousins led a magnificent 2 minute drill against the SEC Bulldogs! Go MSU looks like were headed to overtime!

Riddlewire

Master
Richt is a prick.
Six different players got carries for Georgia. He could've let Karempelis take the field for just one snap.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
"HuskerNation" -- and their dollars -- are to blame for the NEB/South Carolina mismatch.

Nebraska did not deserve to be put in this Bowl, in no way whatsoever. Politics put them there, and Connor Shaw put them out! I truly HATE the politics.

If "BaylorNation" was bigger, you don't think they would have gotten a better Bowl opponent than 5-loss Washington?.. They did deserve a better opponent than that, period.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Michigan State with a big comeback overtime win against Georgia. A nice caste busting win for the Big Ten over the SEC.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The Capital One Bowl announcers were talking about how huge event the game had become and a quick partial stadium camera shot at the end of the 3OT game showed an upper deck that looked empty. :noidea::tape: What a joke! Don is absolutely right about games being presented in a way that makes things seem much different than they really are. We've all seen the instant scan to the lone White defender after a defensive oh-no even if he had nothing to do with the play. We see the "Impact Player" crap that ABC/ESPN shoves down our throat to further brainwash the sheeple into believing blacks are the world's greatest affletes. The way the crowd and/or the teams are presented is also done so as to prop up the anti-white status quo. Just as with the BCS argument that the playoffs would be meaningless, we know that schools usually lose money on bowls and we also know (even in "big" bowls) that low attendance proves that there isn't as much interest in them as they would have us believe. Yet again, another anti-playoff argument is blown away. Maybe one of these years we'll have a decent playoff system and a more racially fair game of football.

In the first half, Bo Pelini removed Burkhead every time they got inside the 10 yard line. He replaced him with Abdullah. I did not understand this. In the second quarter Abdullah had a crucial fumble on the Carolina 5 yard line that South Carolina quickly turned into a touchdown.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Boyett called for pass interference against Wisconsin on third-and-a-mile even though he was not near a single wide reciever. I guess the refs just called it on whatever white boy was out there. The cameras lingered on the evil, white "goat". They showed an extremely brief reply which showed Boyett not even near a Wisconsin wideout, but I didn't hear a comment absolving him.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
In the first half, Bo Pelini removed Burkhead every time they got inside the 10 yard line. He replaced him with Abdullah. I did not understand this. In the second quarter Abdullah had a crucial fumble on the Carolina 5 yard line that South Carolina quickly turned into a touchdown.

I noticed that too, I'm sure a lot of Nebraska fans did too. Why take out your best running threat near the goal line? He's been a beast there during the season too. I didn't see the 2nd half so from the final score it looks like it didn't matter.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Nebraska could have won that game if they stuck to power running with Burkhead, they had some stupid play calls. Some questionable penalties against Nebraska, which seems to be the common theme every time they are in a big game, and I can't blame Bo Pelini for being upset. However, the sumo being offsides 4 or 5 times in a row was just them self destructing. Martinez seriously has to work on his game because he seems to regress, so many times he is scrambling around, and just doesn't throw it away takes a sack, or the backward pass to Bell, that was ridiculous. They have so much potential but just fail to live up to it. Hopefully next year, Martinez is still young.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Anybody watching the Oregon-Wisconsin Rose Bowl game? What was it again about Russell Wilson being so great? Montee Ball?

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Nebraska could have won that game if they stuck to power running with Burkhead, they had some stupid play calls. Some questionable penalties against Nebraska, which seems to be the common theme every time they are in a big game, and I can't blame Bo Pelini for being upset. However, the sumo being offsides 4 or 5 times in a row was just them self destructing. Martinez seriously has to work on his game because he seems to regress, so many times he is scrambling around, and just doesn't throw it away takes a sack, or the backward pass to Bell, that was ridiculous. They have so much potential but just fail to live up to it. Hopefully next year, Martinez is still young.

But Taylor Martinez wasn't playing against Peyton Manning.. he was playing against a QB with MUCH LESS college experience than himself!

South Carolina does have some flaws at OL and DT/LB (soft in the middle), but this was still a mismatch. Connor Shaw parlayed his great victory over Clemson to a Bowl win. In a short span, Shaw has just gotten better and better and is very promising. The emergence of Shaw's arm makes him a true DUAL-THREAT and a potential pro prospect. And, from what I recall, he's only been a QB since his Senior year of high school. He appears to have the right mental makeup for the position. We might have Matt Stafford-lite here! :icon_cool:

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
But Taylor Martinez wasn't playing against Peyton Manning.. he was playing against a QB with MUCH LESS college experience than himself!

South Carolina does have some flaws at OL and DT/LB (soft in the middle), but this was still a mismatch. Connor Shaw parlayed his great victory over Clemson to a Bowl win. In a short span, Shaw has just gotten better and better and is very promising. The emergence of Shaw's arm makes him a true DUAL-THREAT and a potential pro prospect. And, from what I recall, he's only been a QB since his Senior year of high school. He appears to have the right mental makeup for the position. We might have Matt Stafford-lite here! :icon_cool:

And the rest of the South Carolina team is as dark as a coal mine. I don't doubt that Conner Shaw can be another good plantation foreman but 'duel-threat' and 'Matt Stafford' don't usually end up in the same paragraph. Stafford is an elite passer but no threat to run---at all.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I'm convinced that Pelini is a self-loathing type. Why else would he go to Cali for "linebackers?"

He'll let a few Whites hang around, but not too many.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Yeah but Nebraska has the big walk on tradition which provides quality players like Austin Cassidy. Plus they have some good White recruits in that class, a wr, te and and offensive lineman. Ive seen the lineman play and he is a beast. The point was, Martinez doesn't look like a natural passer right now, but he can work on it enough to become an adequate dual threat qb with proper coaching, if not he can still transition to wide receiver in the NFL. So what if the other guy had less experience? not everyone is going to look good passing their sophomore year. Spurrier has a much better offensive scheme than Nebraska. Pelini is a defensive guy even though their defense has been horrible. They can't even run the option effeciently like Oregon when they have the personell. Yeah they recruited a black qb, almost every team does, how is Cody Green doing right now? and it doesn't automatically mean that player will be used as a qb.

talent wise I don't think it was a big mismatch. A big chunk of yardage came on that pass that should have been batted down.

Last edited:

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
After I signed off, I re-watched the South Carolina game. In the first half, they had a drive that ended in a missed FG.. what if they had gotten the TD, as they were deep in Nebraska territory?

Also, Alshon Jeffery and Dennard were both ejected in the 3rd quarter. I saw Dennard throw a couple of punches, and Jeffery only shoved him back in response. With Jeffery OUT, their #1 receiver, South Carolina added 14 points. SC won fair-and-square. Connor Shaw wasn't behind the New England Patriots' o-line, but he performed well, especially with his arm. He also had some clutch-runs for 1st downs. I believed in him.

On the bomb at the end of the 1st half, I repeatedly watched it and consider it to be more than a "miracle throw." The placement was uncanny. Connor Shaw, with his shaved head and dominant features, plus his eye/hand coordination, just has that "it" factor.

The fact that this matchup was made -- as opposed to V-Tech/South Carolina in this same Bowl -- could be described in a few ways.. "appeasing HuskerNation in order to get their money to Orlando" or "feeding an SEC team a very beatable opponent." Think about it. Michigan/South Carolina would have also made more sense. Michigan, with 2-losses, electric Denard and a solid D? A more interesting game, and Michigan had the credentials. (Why were Melvin Ingram and Jadeveon Clowney put against Nebraska, and not Michigan or V-Tech?.. hmmm)

--I don't know what Nebraska's record will be next year. I know that there will be heavy pressure to win and a QB-change isn't out of the question.--

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Brandon Weeden won the Fiesta Bowl. :smiley:

We were spared from having to hear more David Shaw-worship. He didn't have killer instinct, and therefore his team lost.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Michigan with an opportunity to save face for the Big 10..

Michigan wins!!