2010 Week 14

backrow

Hall of Famer
what an anticlimactic game... over 100 yards, yeah, but no TDs (stopped twice from 1 yard line), terrible QB, terrible playcalling, Peyton catches went for 2.5 yards average due to a fact that Delhomme is f**kin retarded and blind, 3 fumbles...

white is right

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire said:
Electric Slide said:
Man I hate to rain on a parade like this but Hillis' fumbling issues is getting a bit terrifying at this point.
Freezing Rain.
Yes if the weather were sunny and warm I would be a little worried about this. But everybody on Cleveland was fumbling. Cribbs fumbled on an end around and another receiver fumbled on another pass. The ball is probably slick and the players might have numb hands too.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I hope Wallace isn't that bad where he couldn't come in for Delhomme. I think your average fan could come in and do a better job then Delhomme. Wallace might be hurt, but I think it might be more of the coaching staff. Only 6 points against the worst D in the NFL....

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Delhomme had a few good years, he was a good player but its time for him to hang it up. Its to bad McCoy got injured. Hillis was at his best when McCoy was at QB

white is right

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
Wallace must truly suck, for him not to put in after the 1st quarter. Maybe he is hurt.
You know things are bleak when your cheering for Seneca Wallace to enter the game.....
smiley2.gif

white is right said:
Riddlewire said:
Electric Slide said:
Man I hate to rain on a parade like this but Hillis' fumbling issues is getting a bit terrifying at this point.
Freezing Rain.
Yes if the weather were sunny and warm I would be a little worried about this. But everybody on Cleveland was fumbling. Cribbs fumbled on an end around and another receiver fumbled on another pass. The ball is probably slick and the players might have numb hands too.

It was a loss to a 2-10 team. Not good under any circumstances. Edited by: sport historian

yeah backrow really mixed emotions today. It really stings that Cleveland lost to the worst team in the NFL, 3 fumbles, no TDs etc.

I guess we just have to look at the bigger picture Hillis broke 1000 yards rushing for the first time in 25 years!!! and added another 100 yard rushing game, which makes it 5 only 3 short of all white running backs from 2000-2009 combined, IN ONE SEASON!

But yes there's no excuse for Hillis' fumbling, it's an onerous distinction to have the most slippery hands in the NFL. But as we saw with Peterson it's an issue that can be fixed with some effort.

G

Pack blow it the Lions D-line actually puts the wood to the Pack O-line and they go long on a 4th and short and maybe should have got a pass interference call.

snow

Mentor
on TWO of those fumbles, it looked like Hillis was down by contact, and shouldn't be counted, but they recovered it so no review. Had it been a turnover it would be reviewed and probably overturned, but stat junkies won't bother to look that up, or the weather conditions.It should be noted that Adrian Peterson had9 fumbles in 2008 and 6 in 2009, in the regular season, I think a fewmore in the postseason, yet his elite status is never questioned.

The positive is, even though the announcers said "the more he does this the less Mangini is going to give him the ball, even if that is true, today it was proven that whites can indeed be successful feature backs in the NFL. Among the negative stereotypes listed on reasons why whites couldn't play the position, fumbling was never a reason, its just happens to be Hillis's problem. Hillis is not the only white guy in the league right now that could rush for 1,000 yards, as well as some guys coming out of college. It should still open up doors for other guys. But I don't think Mangini is going to give the ball to anybody else right now, at least for this season. Whether we likie it or not he was going to share carries next year, and I doubt the other guy will get more than Hillis. It will bring competition to Hillis and make him secure the ball more. Peterson has 0 fumbles this season with Gerhart backing him up. Now if Mangini is gone then who knows what will happen to Hillis, but the main thing is that whites have broken that mythical barrier. Edited by: snow

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Tiki Barber also cured a case of fumbleitis. 

Yea but he was also privelged to have black skin...Hillis needs to always be perfect

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Eric Decker just had a 75 yard kickoff return wiped out by a holding penalty.

Leonardfan said:
Don Wassall said:
Tiki Barber also cured a case of fumbleitis. 

Yea but he was also privelged to have black skin...Hillis needs to always be perfect

That can't possibly be true, because they've kept Hillis in so far. Petyon Hillis has gotten the opportunity, and now only he can assure continued opportunities. As you know we here at CF have been highly critical of otherwise decent black RBs who cough up the ball.

Due to Hillis otherwise stellar play, he will have a chance to cure his fumbleitis, but if he doesn't it honestly believe it wouldn't matter if he was black, Hispanic, or even and Asian running back. Guys that don't solve it get their chances revoked.

That being said, of all problems to fix I believe fumbling is one that is very doable. As previously noted both Peterson and Barber cured this. It's something that's completely mental. I mean, it's not like his arms are too weak to hold on to the ball. If Hillis solves the problem, he'll get more opportunities. I think after this week he'll have to take a good hard look and start working on this.

Anak

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Eric Decker just had a 75 yard kickoff return wiped out by a holding penalty.

Is this the first time he's even been in a game?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hillis has been a revelation to the Browns but he only got the job due to injury. I think the fat walrus will give Hardesty every chance to win the job next year.

alln2

Guru
Horrible play calling by the Browns.
They run Hillis two times to the right on that first drive goal-score opportunity. And they didnt try the fourth time against the worst run-defence in the league.

The Packers didnt use Kuhn in short yardage situations, and they payed the price.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Pats vs Bears Game is fun to watch. Welker is already having a field day. Woodhead just got his first carry and as Thrashen said, Gronkowski for the td. It's a white out on offense and weather wise too.
smiley20.gif

Awesome to see the Pats offense driving down the field on Chicago's nearly coal black defense! Great to see Welker back in rare form, already with 4 catches with 5 min left in the first quarter! If he keeps the pace he has for the last 4 games he will have another 100 plus reception season! Danny Woodhead is getting in a lot too, although with just one negative catch and 1 short gain.

snow

Mentor
Leonardfan said:
Hillis has been a revelation to the Browns but he only got the job due to injury. I think the fat walrus will give Hardesty every chance to win the job next year.

The dude couldnt even stay healthy in college. Tennesee fans were pissed that Arian Foster kept starting, despite rushing for 1,000 yards, they said he was too slow and couldn't wait for Hardesty to start. Now look at Foster. The same situation will be with Hillis and Hardesty.

looked it up Peterson hade 9 fumbles in 2008, and 9 fumbles in 2009. Ahmad Bradshaw had 6 before today and doesn't even have the bruising style that Hillis has. Too bad nobody remembers how some of these fumbles happened, like Hillis having his own tight end knock one out etc.
Doesn't matter what Holmgren thinks, Mangini is making the shots right now, which is why they can't lose any more games. Today's loss hurt more than the 3 fumbles, because if he is replaced, it will probably be Gruden.

Besides, fumble issues were never the reason why people said whites couldn't play tailback. Now with future prospects they can't just say "well whites can'tplay tailbackbecause they fumble" when there is only one instance.

Most of his fumbles came for fightin for extra yards carrying a pile of defenders. I think after the Denver situation he realized that he had to perform twice as good as black backs to stay a starter, and caused him to try too hard at times, even when there was no possible way he could gain more than a yard. He will find a balance. The fumbles didn't cause them to lose any games that I am aware of, which is the most important part. Peterson caused his team to lose, his fumbles came at crucial times.

I don't know why some of you just can't enjoy things for what they are and always focus on the negative, hes the first white rusher for 1,000 yards in 25 years. Let that sink in for a little bit. Nobody is being brought in to challenge him this year. Enjoy it. Next year we were going to have to worry either way whether he would be a feature back, that would be true if he rushed for 2,000, led his team to a superbowl and had 0 fumbles. There would be some reason as to why he needed someone to take some of the carries.Edited by: snow