2009 Ohio State Buckeyes

Time to give myself a little credit! I think I was among the first here to call out Pryor last year. After his pathetic final two games (Michigan and Fiesta Bowl vs Texas where there was no comparison with Colt McCoy), I made the call to switch Pryor to receiver, as he did catch a TD from Todd Boeckman. Now I'm calling to switch him to TE. I think he could block well and protect the QB, while also having decent speed to get downfield and make some catches. Either way, it's obvious that the Pryor experiment has been unsuccessful so far. What's funny is that a couple seasons ago the Buckeyes had another qoutaback on their roster, that people were saying was going to be the next "Troy Smith." But he never panned out and I don't know what happened to them. They do have another freshman black quarterback named Ken Guiton, who has "unlimited potential." http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87746&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=204773981&Q_SEASON=2009

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Finally, a writer critizes Pryor for horrible play for OSU this year. Here is part of the article, I'll post the link if you want to read the rest of it.

Ohio State fans once feared they would have Terrelle Pryor as their quarterback for only three seasons.

Now, they're afraid they might be stuck with him for four.
With no backups ready to replace him, and no Matt Barkley- or Tate Forcier-type recruits headed to Columbus, Pryor is more than the Buckeyes' quarterback of the present.

The excitement surrounding Terrelle Pryor has waned considerably. (Jamie Sabau / Getty Images)

He's their quarterback of the future.

That scared opponents when Pryor broke on to the scene as a true freshman starter four games into last season, helping head coach Jim Tressel win a fourth straight Big Ten championship.

But that fear has rapidly turned inward on Buckeye Nation, with Pryor having already thrown twice as many interceptions (eight) this season as he did all of last year â€" on six fewer pass attempts, no less.

Two of those picks and two lost fumbles marked Pryor's performance Saturday in a 26-18 loss at Purdue.

The Boilermakers were 1-5, tied for last place in the Big Ten, and had 20 turnovers through six games to rank 119th among 120 FBS teams in that category.

Right off the top, reject the notion that OSU's visit prompted Purdue to morph into a sound team that located a long-lost supply of stickum from Lester Hayes' locker.

Ohio State claimed three turnovers from the Boilermakers, including a shot-putted halfback pass from the OSU 11-yard line that killed a scoring drive and a lost fumble at the Purdue 43. An 18-yard punt to the Purdue 30-yard line also presented OSU a gift-wrapped scoring opportunity.

Pryor followed the 18-yard punt by fumbling the ball back on the ensuing series.

He directed a three-and-out after the Boilermakers' botched halfback pass, killing only 25 seconds of the 51 ticks that remained in the first half, thus allowing Purdue time to get a go-ahead field goal on the last snap before the break.

And when Purdue's Joey Elliott threw his only pick two plays after Pryor's first interception in the third quarter, Pryor obliged with his second interception three plays after that.

You might say the Buckeyes â€" in losing for the first time since 2005 to an opponent not to make a BCS bowl in that same season â€" suffered from a serious case of Pryor restraint.

Well, you might say that unless you're Tressel, any of Pryor's teammates or, apparently, anyone drawing a paycheck from The Ohio State University.

Just for kicks and giggles, log onto OhioStateBuckeyes.com and read the school's official web site recapping the loss to Purdue.

The first paragraph reads:

"Ohio State made a valiant comeback behind 177 yards of fourth-quarter offense from Terrelle Pryor, but Purdue's defense did just enough to hang on for the 26-18 victory."

Notice: Pryor was nearly the hero, and nary a mention of his four turnovers or the paltry 110 yards OSU gained through three quarters.

Later the story read:

"Ohio State's dismal day included five turnovers â€" three lost fumbles and two interceptions."

Notice: No mention of Pryor having four of the five turnovers, not anywhere in the story.

And finally:

Ohio State fumbled on its second play of the game.

Notice: Pryor didn't fumble; Ohio State did.

That kid-glove treatment of the nation's former No. 1 recruit has been standard procedure at OSU since Pryor arrived.

Not until three weeks ago had he ever been made available to speak with reporters except in postgame or preseason media day settings.

That's painted Pryor as somewhere between reclusive and dismissive.

What he's shown himself to be since the verbal shackles have been loosened is a thoughtful, approachable young man who belies the pampered, coach's-pet reputation that's dogged him since taking over for Todd Boeckman last season after a 35-3 loss at USC.

Boeckman committed two turnovers in that game â€" one an interception returned for a touchdown and the other a fumble when blasted by a back-side linebacker untouched on a blitz.

In announcing Boeckman's demotion to second-team two days later, Tressel said the reigning first-team All-Big Ten QB who directed OSU to an appearance in the BCS title game the year before "erred" on the fumble.

"It was the quarterback's hot read," Tressel said then. "Our expectations above all others are these: you make big plays, you make great decisions, you don't turn the ball over, and that's how you'll be evaluated above all other things. We're going to evaluate your footwork, how you carry out your fakes, we're going to evaluate every little thing. But not like we'll evaluate what we call those 'big three."

Saturday, after Pryor's four turnovers at Purdue, Tressel was asked about what transpired on the two interceptions.

"I can't remember exactly which ones we're talking about," he said of Pryor's 29 pass attempts.

Three times, Tressel was asked if he considered sitting Pryor for even one series against the Boilermakers.

Jim Tressel has handled Pryor much differently than he handled Todd Boeckman last year. (Jamie Sabau / Getty Images)

The answer was a flat, "No," each time.

"Any time you don't do what you hoped to do, which starts with not taking care of the ball, you're very concerned," Tressel said. "You can't go on and have mistakes like that."

That's as close as the OSU coach came to singling out Pryor for his turnovers, which places it in another hemisphere from how he fingered Boeckman the year before.

Asked Tuesday why he yanked Boeckman, but didn't consider doing so even for one series with Pryor, Tressel said: "I'm not sure they are comparable at all. They don't feel to me as being similar situations."

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10255938/Buckeyes'-Pryor-makes-Tressel,-OSU-fans-sweat

White Power

Mentor
I told all of you that he would be a colossal bust, and so far I am right. You can't teach smarts and clearly the afflete dosen't have them and if your not smart and can't read defenses you can't plat QB at the pro level end of story period.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
If it wasn't for the extreme recruiting of black black quarterbacks I honestly don't think there would be a black qb starting in the NFL.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well surprise, surprise. Thug Life is running the ball more and just scored a TD. Thanks a lot Tressel.
smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
OSU's kicker is out for rest of regular season.

Pettrey has surgery on MCL</font>

<hr width="100%" noshade="noshade" size="1">

By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com

</font>
Ohio State
kicker Aaron Pettrey will miss the rest of the regular season after
undergoing surgery Tuesday to repair a torn MCL in his right knee.

Pettrey sustained the injury while running downfield on kickoff
coverage in Saturday's game against New Mexico State. There's hope he
could return in time for Ohio State's bowl game.
Pettrey leads the Big Ten in kicker scoring with 8 points per game and
has converted 13 of 17 field-goal attempts and 28 of 29 extra-point
attempts. He's a weapon from long distance, connecting on 6 of 8
field-goal attempts from beyond 40 yards.
Junior Devin Barclay will take over the kicking duties for Pettrey
after connecting on 1 of 3 attempts against New Mexico State. Freshman
Ben Buchanan also is a possibility at kicker.

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4619106&amp;type=story

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- On a day when <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=379070" target="_blank">Terrelle
Pryor</a> (black) saw little playing time, little-known Kenny Guiton (black) made the
most of his.

The third-team quarterback tossed a 45-yard scoring
pass to <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=235818" target="_blank">Taurian
Washington</a> with 55 seconds left on Saturday to give the Gray a
17-14 victory over the Scarlet in Ohio State's annual intrasquad
scrimmage.<div ="mod-inline -right"><div style="margin-left: 10px; width: 300px;">[+] Enlarge <div style="width: 300px;"><cite>AP Photo/Terry Gilliam</cite>The Buckeye
faithful turned out for Ohio State's annual spring game Saturday as
quarterback Terrelle Pryor mostly watched his backups compete.</div></div></div>

"I
feel comfortable," said Guiton, a redshirt freshman from Houston. "I
had three of the starting linemen, so there was nothing for me to be
antsy about. So I just took my time and played ball."

The Buckeyes
wrapped up their 15 spring practices before a crowd of 65,223 at
overcast Ohio Stadium.

Guiton completed 11-of-21 passes for 167
yards and two scores, both to Washington, who had three catches for 83
yards.

The performance of Guiton was a surprise to many. He was
the last player offered in his recruiting class and had to wait until
things fell apart with two other prized recruits before he got the call
with a scholarship.

"Kenny Guiton has proven it every day up
through the spring," Washington said. "For being the last guy picked,
he's done extremely well during the spring. He's a great kid and in the
future he's going to do great things."

Pryor completed 8-of-12
passes for 108 yards and a touchdown before retiring early. He did not
speak with reporters afterward.

Coach Jim Tressel said he was
pleased with the progress his team made in the spring.

"We know
we've got a lot to do between now and August, and it's up to the players
to kind of initiate that," he said. "I know they'll do that. Our staff
will do a great job of planning a good preseason in August and be ready
to see if we can meet the challenge of 2010."

The teams swapped
scores midway through the first quarter. First, Washington snagged a
28-yard scoring pass from Guiton, then Pryor hit <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=235808" target="_blank">Dane
Sanzenbacher</a> on a 12-yard completion for the Scarlet.

It
stayed that way until Drew Basil kicked a 47-yard field goal early in
the fourth quarter.

Bo Delande's 4-yard touchdown run with 4:48
gave the Scarlet a 14-10 lead.

After Delande's run, the Scarlet shocked the Gray with an
onside kick that was recovered by the Scarlet's <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=243273" target="_blank">Spencer
Smith</a>. <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=243266" target="_blank">Joe
Bauserman</a> (White) , considered Pryor's backup until now, hit <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=481824" target="_blank">James
Jackson</a> on a 43- yard pass. After a penalty, the Scarlet had a
first-and-5 situation at the Gray 13 with just over 3 minutes left.

But
Bauserman's throw into the end zone was intercepted by Nate Oliver, who
returned the ball to the 11. Guiton took it from there.

He
completed passes of 8, 15, 16 and 11 yards to get the ball into Scarlet
territory before lofting a pass along the left sideline near the goal
line that Washington pulled in between defenders Dominic Clarke and Nate
Ebner.

Taylor Rice then intercepted a long Bauserman pass in the
final minute.

There was one scary moment, however. Rather than
just take a knee and run out the clock, the Gray coaches had Guiton
passing from deep in his own territory. A teammate landed on his knee
and he was temporarily laid out on the turf before walking off the
field.

He said he was fine and was hoping his play might have put
him in the race to be No. 2 on the depth chart.

"I don't think I
put a stamp on anything but I know I have to keep working," he said.
"I'm going to leave it in the coaches' hands."

The Buckeyes will
return nine starters on offense when they open their season on Sept. 2
against Marshall at home.

The teams wore uniforms with pink
numbers. Along with the coaches' pink hats, they were auctioned off
later to benefit the Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research.
The wife of former Ohio State and NFL linebacker Chris Spielman died in
November.http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5133213

I've been out of the loop for a while, but it's good to see that Bo DeLande lead the RBs in the spring game and scored a TD. I have no idea if that even means he even get time other than mop up duty that Tressel gives to his white RBs (more than some coaches will even do). I also looked at their roster, out of 14 total WRs listed 7 are white, and of 10 LBs 5 are white. Also, it they have Jake Stoneburner listed at WR, but I can't tell how they had him lined up in the spring game, anybody know?

The obvious downside to the modern day buckeyes is Tressels love affair with black QBs.

Ok just looked at bucknuts.com, and maybe the roster listing is a mistake it seems like Stoneburner is at TE but looks to get a lot of throws. Also, Grant Schwartz is being mentioned to get some playing time at WR:

The number three receiver job is Taurian Washington's right now, but Grant Schwartz is making a strong play for some time. Schwartz continues to impress and it will be hard to keep him off the field if he keeps this up. That is unless there is some sort of rule against having two short, fast, white receivers on the field at the same time. In all seriousness, Darrell Hazell said after practice that the receiver spots behind Sanzenbacher and Posey will remain an open competition through fall camp.

Also, it appears that Tyler Moeller who missed last season due to a sucker punch/hitting his head on a table is trying out for 2nd team safety?!?

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2010/04/eleven-eyes-tuesday-practice-observations.html

whiteCB

Master
Electric Slide said:
Ok just looked at bucknuts.com, and maybe the roster listing is a mistake it seems like Stoneburner is at TE but looks to get a lot of throws. Also, Grant Schwartz is being mentioned to get some playing time at WR:

The number three receiver job is Taurian Washington's right now, but Grant Schwartz is making a strong play for some time. Schwartz continues to impress and it will be hard to keep him off the field if he keeps this up. That is unless there is some sort of rule against having two short, fast, white receivers on the field at the same time. In all seriousness, Darrell Hazell said after practice that the receiver spots behind Sanzenbacher and Posey will remain an open competition through fall camp.

Also, it appears that Tyler Moeller who missed last season due to a sucker punch/hitting his head on a table is trying out for 2nd team safety?!?

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2010/04/eleven-eyes-tuesday-practice-observations.html

I don't know why somebody would say Moeller is working at safety but that's false. Tyler will be lining up this year at starting OLB.