2009 Nevada Wolfpack

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nevada missed RB Luke Lippincott and had just 6 white starters last year. Luke has been granted a 6th year of eligibility and will be competing for the starting job. The Wolfpack started 12 whites in 2007 and 15 in 2006. It looks like things are going full bore Caste in Reno.
smiley5.gif

Offense
RB Luke Lippincott-in a fight for the position
T Mike Gallett
G John Bender
C Kenneth Ackerman

Defense
MLB Mike Bethea

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
All I can say is wow! I remember Nevada being a majority white team. 5 white starters for a team like Nevada is a disgrace.

Mike

Guru
You can't blame Ault for Lippincott. It's not like Taua came in and sucked last year...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike said:
You can't blame Ault for Lippincott. It's not like Taua came in and sucked last year...

Where are you reading that Ault is getting blamed for where Luke is? Luke should have to earn the spot back.
I blame Ault for making his team very non-white overall. Luke is one of very few left over white skill players from the era when whites were given a fair chance at Nevada.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I'd expect Lippincott to start this off-season 2nd team with the way Taua played last year, but hopefully he'll work his way back to at least splitting carries. If Taua starts to under-perform or gets hurt Lippincott could see the majority of carries.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

NorCal831

i hope lippincott tears it up this year. i played against that guy in high school and he was (and still is) a beast. i believe the san jose state nevada game will be televised, you guys should check it out. a top white RB (lippincott) and WR (jurovich from SJSU) will be featured.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
NorCal831 said:
i hope lippincott tears it up this year. i played against that guy in high school and he was (and still is) a beast. i believe the san jose state nevada game will be televised, you guys should check it out. a top white RB (lippincott) and WR (jurovich from SJSU) will be featured.

This game is today and even though Luke is splitting carries at best and Kevin is not being used as much as he should be, this is still a great chance to see these two players one more time.

35 to 6 Nevada over New Mexico State in the 2nd quarter with 6 minutes left. Luke is getting some touches and stands to make 1000 yards for the year with this game.
smiley99.gif

Update: 11 rushes 106 yards 1 TD ( I think). Sports casters are a bit more animated about tau than Lippincott. Edited by: Animalmuther0

Riddlewire

Master
Nevada started the season with 3 straight losses. Whatever Ault changed after Missouri game has turned them into an unstoppable rushing machine. I watched them play against Notre Dame and it looked like the same playbook as last season. I can't really tell what they started doing differently. And, clearly, opposing coaches haven't figured it out yet, either. The Boise State game ought to be VERY interesting.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Vai Taua and Luke Lippincott have put up VERY SIMILAR "EFFICIENCY" carrying the ball this season. Vai is slightly ahead in efficiency as a rusher (8 YPC to 7.7 YPC) and Luke is slightly ahead as a receiver. Vai has 1185 yards rushing while Luke has an also very impressive 1028 yards. They both have 9 rushing TDs. This is also very impressive, since this is Luke's first year back from his torn knee a year ago.

Let's examine the "baffling" difference here:
Vai Taua is ranked 20th for 2011 draft prospects as a 7th round/ FA prospect out of 102 RBs (and his stock is still rising) and Luke Lippincott is still completely unranked out of a whooping 124 RBs by NFLdraftscout for 2010.

Vai is projected to run a 4.57 40 by NFLdraftscout, while Luke is known to have run in the 4.5 40 range (hand-timed) before and would probably run very similar to Taua at the NFL combine. Lippincott is a consummate one or two cut and go runner with a powerful style and great vision and X-Y agility and is a complete back.

I'm curious, what's the issue here with a "SUPPOSED" 124 RBs being better than Lippincott (who has broken 1,000 yards this year on a whooping 7.7 YPC, with 2 games left for an 8-3 team and leads all Nevada RBs in total TDs right now)?
smiley5.gif

I think we know the answer! But will Luke Lippincott get to play a legitimate "race card" when Taua gets drafted and he doesn't even get a sniff of the NFL combine? If I were an NFL scout, I'd say both these guys have the ability to be a 6th or 7th round draft pick- but somehow one is likely to get drafted and the other somehow isn't even on the radar as a top 124 tailback prospect. Baffling!

Naw TJR, not baffling at all. Luke is a paleface while Tua looks poly-black.

IAW with scouts/coaches/GM's, the mere fact that Tua is dark obviously makes him the superior pick.
smiley5.gif