2009 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for Bo Pelini's Cornhuskers this year. They had 11 in 2007 and 12 in 2008.

Offense

QB Zac Lee

RB Rex Burkhead - splits carries

FB Tyler Legate

TE Dreu Young

TE Mike McNeill

LT Mike Smith

C Jacob Hickman

RG Ricky Henry

Defense

DT Jared Crick

SLB Sean Fisher

MLB Will Compton

FS Matt O'Hanlon Edited by: Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Right now, Castille has the job, but that could change by time the season rolls around. Castille is nothing special, so I imagine Rex should see some time this year.
smiley1.gif
If Pelini is fair about it, Rex could take the 2nd RB job away from Castille.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Bummer that Nebraska does not have a white receiver this year. None the less this is still a squad I will keep an eye on this year.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I'll update the starters now.

I was looking through a Nebraska preview and it looks like Colton Koehler will start at MLB, competing for the spot with Will Compton and Phillip Dillard (black).

Blake Lawrence should take over the WLB spot.

Redshirt freshman DE Cameron Meredith could take a DE spot away from Barry Turner or Pierre Allen if Meredith has a good showing in camp.

Matt O'Hanlon will have a tough battle against Ricky Thenarse if he wants to start at FS this year. Thenarse and O'Hanlon spilt starts last year.

Rex Burkhead may see some action this year.
smiley1.gif
Rex should see the field this year unless another back steps up their game.

QB is a battle between Zac Lee and Kody Spano, also with freshman Cody Green (black). thrown in.

On the O-Line, senior G Andy Christiansen may be able to unseat a black starter.

Reciever looks to be all black this year, but on a good note, there are a lot of freshmen and sophomore white WRs.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good news, Jack!
smiley32.gif

Riddlewire

Master
Castille dismissed by Nebraska

OMAHA, Neb. -- Running back Quentin Castille has been dismissed from the Nebraska football program for violating unspecified team rules.
Pelini said he expects freshman Rex Burkhead to become Nebraska's No. 2 running back, but there will be competition for the spot.

link

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's GREAT news!

i wonder what the "unspecified" rules he broke are ... rape, assault, drug sales, having someone else take his tests? what?

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Great news!

Rex should get a lot of playing time this year. Nebraska rotated Helu and Castille a lot last season. Rex should get a lot of carries this year. Helu has some durability concerns, so that can help Rex out as well.

Here is another blurb about it from the Cornhusker's official website.
ArticleEdited by: Jack Lambert

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Congratulations to the six Nebraskanatives who went to NU as walk-ons and earned their scholarships! This is good news for Rex and Bo seems ten times more fair than Bill Callahan.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Awesome news, Riddlewire! I'll have to try to catch a Nebraska game and hopefully glimpse Rex running the ball.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The rumor for Castille's dismissal I'm hearing from message boards was testing positive for Marijuana at least 3 times. If he was arrested for something serious I'm sure we would have heard about it by now.

I wouldn't say I'm happy for Castille's troubles, but in truth fairness will play out here b/c the better player will be playing-so in many ways I am happy. Castille's production was nothing special last year outside of the bowl game and two easy defenses in Iowa State and New Mexico State, but the DWFs were fawning over him.

I read an article about how Roy Helu was upset about this b/c Castille was a good friend of his. I read another article with a quote from Roy saying he has made friends with all the other RBs this year and that he will help all the other guys any way he can. Helu also reiterated what coach Pelini said- that Rex has been very impressive so far this summer. I forgot where this article I am quoting was located.Here's Another Helu Article

The good news is that Helu is a class act and strong Christian and I presume he will help Rex and any other RB who gets playing time this year.

Nebraska is now my new 2nd favorite team after Rutgers! Helu and Burkhead should be a great tandem and Rex should improve fast. Rex will be the main guy once Helu leaves I think.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

White Power

Mentor
Helu is Polynesian not black and I believe he is a Morman as well. I like him as a player and want him to succeed, and make it in the pro's as a running back.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah Helu does sound like a Polynesian name and I agree he's a player worth rooting for because he's a class act and will also help Burkhead become the best player he can be.

Another RB I should mention that said he's friends with all the other backs on the team and that "it's been a healthy competition this summer" is Rutgers RB Jourdon Brooks. Brooks sounds like a good guy as well. Don't mean to get off topic, but I am a Rutgers fan first and a Nebraska fan second.

But unlike Nebraska the clear "number one RB" for Rutgers to start this season should be a white man- Joe Martinek. He deserves "more than half the carries" next season and probably more like 2/3s or 3/4s of the carries. Jersey Joe has been the best back this spring and summer and had the best YPC on the team last year (Brooks was very close behind, but no other back was even close). Martinek also had the best bowl game for all backs last year and had 4 of the 5 longest runs from scrimmage on the team with only the third most carries.

I had posted all about this last year. How can anyone deny that Martinek is Rutger's best back? Still somehow the caste denies it. Martinek also has better measurables than Brooks. Also, the underachieving Kordell Young- whose YPC has been pedestrian even in the rare times he's been healthy- is hurt yet again.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
White Power, nobody said Helu was black. Also, he's a Christian, not a Mormon.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel is it true that Mormons only believe Jesus was a Saint and not the son of God? I thought there was in fact a sect of Mormons that believed in Jesus' divinity (and that Jesus is the way to Heaven and forgiveness which would make them Christian), but I heard the main LDS group only believes Jesus was a Prophet or Saint or something. I thought you would be the one to ask about this. I didn't want to trust Wikipedia because it isn't the best place to do research if you're a stickler for accuracy and don't want some opinions mixed in- presented as facts.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'll reply to this in PM, Tough.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Updated Nebraska starters. Meredith is a backup DE right now, but should still get some playing time. Will Compton starts at MLB, Matt O'Hanlon starts at FS. Burkhead is 2nd RB right now.
smiley32.gif
D.J. Jones (black) moved to RT, so wither Ricky Henry or Andy Christensen will start at RG. Also, Tyler Legate starts at FB.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks, Jack! I just updated their number of white starters in the whitest teams thread.

REDNOSE

Guru
Is it me, or is Nebraska's qb just plain garbage. This is against everything I believe in, but I'd rather have a scrambling black quarterback than this sorry excuse that can pass and run equally terrible.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I am a Nebraska fan, and I get fed up with Lee at times. He isn't helped by his lack of recievers, though. Still at least Green, the black QB, can run. Lee can't run worth a damn most of the time. (Although he did have one nice run tonight, still, he seems to be one of college football's slower starting quarterbacks.) Lee gets constantly over or underthrows his recievers too. Besides Helu and Burkhead (who did next to nothing tonight,) the offense is garbage. Edited by: Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Update to Nebraska's starters. Blake Lawrence sustained an injury during the season, and he, unfortunatly, is done with football now.
smiley11.gif
Senior Phillip Dilliard (Black) takes over the starting WLB job. He s

On a bright note, Burkhead has been getting about half of Nebraska's carries against Colorado and Texas.
smiley1.gif
Also, DE Cameron Meredith and DT Baker Steinkuhler get extensive playing time during the game. Either Lee or Green (black) will start at QB. It doesn't matter though, they are both garbage right now. Lee isn't very good, nor fast. Green can throw hard, but not accurately.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hopefully Nebraska will have a couple of good QB recruits lined up, sinceLee and Greenare aweful. I saw plenty of outstanding QB's playing in the Missouri State High School Championship games. Their defense was outstanding against Texas, and with any offense at all, Nebraska should have won that game going away.