2009 Kent State Golden Flashes

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kent State had 7 white starters in 05', 8 in 06', and 9 in 07' and 08'. With Julian Edelman gone, it looks like Kent State is going for a affletic QB, as two of the three listed on the CFN depth chart are black. Maybe SR QB Anthony Magazo will get a shot though. The good news is that the Flashes are whiter this year with 2 white safeties. Hopefully this will continue in the future.

Offense
QB Spencer Keith
WR (H) Jameson Konz
LT Kent Cleveland
LG Michael Fay
C Chris Anzevino
RG Mike Roder
RT Pat Reedy

Defense
NT Sam Frist
SLB Anthony Mirando
FS Brian Lainhart
SS Dan Hartman

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Riddlewire

Master
Well, here's a nice kick in the teeth for your Tuesday afternoon.

From Kent State's official website:
""¢ True freshman quarterback Spencer Keith leads the MAC and is 34th nationally with a 149.40 passer rating. In roughly eight quarters of action, he has completed 65.3 percent of his passes for 381 yards and four TDs."

Hey, that's great.

Now, look at this, also from Kent State's website:
"No Controversy Under Center - Despite the emergence of true freshman Spencer Keith, Kent State head coach considers (black quarterback) Giorgio Morgan as his team's starting quarterback.

Uh, ok. So Morgan must be lighting it up, right?
33 of 59 (56%), 261yds, 0TD, 3INT. 82.92 rating

smiley18.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire, that is kick in the teeth if there ever was one. This stuff is so unreal at times that I wonder if I'm imagining it.
smiley70.gif

Bear Backer

Mentor
Riddlewire said:
Well, here's a nice kick in the teeth for your Tuesday afternoon.

From Kent State's official website:
""¢ True freshman quarterback Spencer Keith leads the MAC and is 34th nationally with a 149.40 passer rating. In roughly eight quarters of action, he has completed 65.3 percent of his passes for 381 yards and four TDs."

Hey, that's great.

Now, look at this, also from Kent State's website:
"No Controversy Under Center - Despite the emergence of true freshman Spencer Keith, Kent State head coach considers (black quarterback) Giorgio Morgan as his team's starting quarterback.

Uh, ok. So Morgan must be lighting it up, right?
33 of 59 (56%), 261yds, 0TD, 3INT. 82.92 rating

smiley18.gif

Ya just can't keep those black quarterbacks down. After all, despite usually putting up poor stats, they just "find ways to win". When they don't "find ways to win" it is the fault of everyone around them dontcha know?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
What year is this black quarterback in? If he's a senior, maybe the coach is throwing him a bone at the expense of winning (he might be worried about locker room dissension from any of the racially conscious blacks).

I guess the coach doesn't have the gumption to play the best. It's like the Bears keeping and/or playing consummate scrubs Adrian Peterson and Rashied Davis over far more talented athletes in Brock Forsey and Eric Peterman. The real reason is b/c Adrian Peterson is the most "popular" guy on the team- it's even been reported in the press before. Rashied Davis probably isn't far behind in "popularity".

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The same thing happened to Eli Manning in 2000. Romaro Miller, the resident senior black quarterback was given the position for the entire year over two weeks before the season even began. I can tell you that Ole Miss would have won at least two more games that year had Eli started. Miller was erratic and inconsistent as he had been since becoming the uncontested starter in 1998.

Riddlewire

Master
Morgan is a Redshirt Sophomore, in case you haven't already looked for yourself. So he has three years of eligibility.
And, since the clock is now ticking on Spencer Keith, he might get screwed out of a chance to become a multi-year star for the Flashes.

Riddlewire

Master
There's something fishy going on at Kent State.
I watched the game. Giorgio Morgan got the start and was yanked almost immediately after throwing a pick. Spencer Keith played the rest of the game. He went 21 of 39 for 206yds. It easily could've been 30 of 39 for 300, but his receivers had a lot of drops. He looked fantastic in the pocket, easily escaping any pressure Baylor sought to bring. He wasn't sacked and rarely pressured. I didn't see any throwaways (although there had to be at least one, that's just natural). To any casual fan, this game would've confirmed his assumption of the starting role for the rest of the season.
Here is the game report from Kent State's official website. You can just scan it quickly without reading it. Curiously, Spencer Keith's name is not mentioned anywhere in the official game report. You wouldn't even know he had played in the game unless you looked at the Box Score. Giorgio Morgan is mentioned, though. He's praised for "firing the ball" about 5 yards laterally on a wide receiver pass play. Keith was also not mentioned by his coach in the post game press conference.
Why would a school go to so much trouble to erase any evidence of one of their emerging star players? I'd inquire about the matter to Kent State fans, but the only fan board I know of is Kent State's Rivals board, and they don't have any non-subscription forums there. So I don't have any way to know what they're thinking.
If Keith isn't starting next week, though, it's pretty obvious that Flashes coach Doug Martin is another Tommy "Caste King" West.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
good spot, Riddlewire.

i had the opportunity to watch Keith play a few times in high school, and he was very good. he also had some incredible White skill talent around him ... but most were completely ignored by college football teams.

Riddlewire

Master
Spencer Keith has been named the starter for Kent State's game against Bowling Green this Saturday.
Coach Martin earns a one week reprieve.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Riddlewire said:
There's something fishy going on at Kent State.
I watched the game. Giorgio Morgan got the start and was yanked almost immediately after throwing a pick. Spencer Keith played the rest of the game. He went 21 of 39 for 206yds. It easily could've been 30 of 39 for 300, but his receivers had a lot of drops. He looked fantastic in the pocket, easily escaping any pressure Baylor sought to bring. He wasn't sacked and rarely pressured. I didn't see any throwaways (although there had to be at least one, that's just natural). To any casual fan, this game would've confirmed his assumption of the starting role for the rest of the season.
Here is the game report from Kent State's official website. You can just scan it quickly without reading it. Curiously, Spencer Keith's name is not mentioned anywhere in the official game report. You wouldn't even know he had played in the game unless you looked at the Box Score. Giorgio Morgan is mentioned, though. He's praised for "firing the ball" about 5 yards laterally on a wide receiver pass play. Keith was also not mentioned by his coach in the post game press conference.
Why would a school go to so much trouble to erase any evidence of one of their emerging star players? I'd inquire about the matter to Kent State fans, but the only fan board I know of is Kent State's Rivals board, and they don't have any non-subscription forums there. So I don't have any way to know what they're thinking.
If Keith isn't starting next week, though, it's pretty obvious that Flashes coach Doug Martin is another Tommy "Caste King" West.

Sounds like the typical molly coddling that goes on to keep the affletes from going berserk or wrecking team chemistry with locker room antics.

Riddlewire

Master
It appears that Spencer Keith has won the starting QB job outright. He played the entire game today and Morgan didn't take a snap. Good thing, too. Kent State won, 28-6 over Eastern Michigan.
Keith was decent enough to win, although it was his worst game.
10/24 164yds 2TD 2I
10 carries for 48yds, 1TD