2009 Kansas Jayhawks

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for the Jayhawks this year. They had 9 in 2007, and 13 in 2008, so they have gone down three this year. Part-elephant coach Mark Mangino, I believe, is starting to slowly darken the Jayhawks, given their recent recruiting class this year.

Offense

QB Todd Reesing

HB Jake Sharp
smiley32.gif

WR Kerry Meier

TE Tim Biere

LT Tanner Hawkinson

LG Carl Wilson - in a fight for the position

RG Sal Capra

Defense

DT Caleb Blakesley - in a fight for the position

DT Duane Zlatnik

DE Jake Laptad

OLB Jake Schermer - in a fight for the position Edited by: Jack Lambert

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is disappointing to see such a black Kansas defense again. At least we have Jake Sharp and Kerry Meier to root for!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Looks like a black is battling for the LG spot of Carl Wilson. Schermer is in a position battle too. The good news is that it looks like DT Duane Zlatnik should start. So there may be 9 white starters up to 11, depending on how things come out. I hope its 11!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You are welcome, Jack!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
A few pics from yesterday's win over Northern Colorado.

RB Jake Sharp getting a TD!
Jakeweek1.jpg

QB Todd Reesing congratulating RB Jake Sharp after a 10 yard TD catch
JakeTodd.jpg

QB Todd Reesing running for a huge gain
ToddReesing.jpg

WR Kerry Meier sprinting past the NC defense-notice the closed sleeve jersey unlike Reesing's-he's now a pure WR, not a QB playing WR
Kerry71.jpg

Backup QB Kale Pick running for 47 yards
KalePick.jpg

whiteCB

Master
Yeah I also noticed Meier's jersey sleeve change this year. Last year he had those big drouppy sleeves hanging down. I like the new fitted sleeve look. Makes him look more the part of a WR!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, I wouldn't call any open sleeved jersey made today "droopy," but I know what you mean CB. Now, if you want to seem some huge sleeves, take a look at jerseys made in the 70s and 80s. There's some excess material for you!
smiley36.gif

Riddlewire

Master
I just clicked it over to Versus and saw Sharp standing on the sidelines. They were talking about him, but I didn't catch the beginning of it. They said the other runningback would be getting most of the carries today. Anybody know what that's about?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
jump over to the Jake Sharp thread, RW, where we've been talking about it a little bit. even the announcers are confused as to why Sharp is on the sidelines.
they, and Sharp, appear to be completely unaware of the reason he's not in the game. he's not been attended to by the training staff, so it doesn't appear to be an injury, although that's the most likely reason for the speedster to be on the sidelines.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I just came across this story about the Jayhawksthat focuses on "anger issues" that Coach Mangino has been dealing with lately. Jason Whitlock of the KC Star wrote this articlewith the theory that Mangino's excessive girth is partly responsible for his actions. Reading this, and tying into many of Mark Mangino's other questionable decisions (see Jake Sharp), they may have something here!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I was wondering about whether that might have some connection to how Jake Sharp has been treated over the course of his career myself, FootballDad. I'm not sure what to think about it all though. I know Mangino is as far from healthy as one can be. It really is an embarrassment to have someone like him coaching elite athletes in college. It kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Though I disagree with Jason Whitlock well over 75% of the time, I actually think that he might have hit on Mangino's core problem here. Less a couple of hundred (!) pounds, he would probably be much more pleasant, and wouldn't have nearly the "eggplant" anger level! How about if you are Todd Reesing, and you know that any mistake out there might make coach turn purple with rage? Might affect the way that you play, eh? Same with Jake Sharp or even Oporum. One screw up results in a purple-faced coach, a finger in the chest, and a spot on the bench.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I hope Mangino has the class to help Sharp get a medical redshirt- the coach campaigning for him would help a lot. It's one thing to have a bad temper and to make a couple real cheap shot comments when you're angry, but it's even worse- to be so classless that you'd ruin a man's chances at the next level (and millions of dollars) b/c of some strange passive aggressiveness. If Mangino is indeed passive aggressive toward Sharp, it may be because he see's a VERY FAST, QUICK AND ELUSIVE white man THAT HE COULD NEVER DREAM OF BEING and he's projecting his jealous anger onto the situation.

Mangino needs to face up to his anger problems and help Sharp in a quest to get a 5th year of eligibility. If he does not, he'll likely become my least favourite coach in the FBS! I already am disturbed a bit, by that nasty comment he supposedly made to the player whose brother had been shot a couple days earlier. I know I may be alone on that, but it was classless, especially considering the timing.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here's an excerpt: I thought this player's brother had died, but he did not, so it wasn't as bad as I thought. It still shows his flaming temper though:

Former Kansas players say Mangino was abusive
Associated Press

<snip
Former Jayhawks receiver Raymond Brown recalled how in 2007, after his younger brother was wounded in a shooting near his home in St. Louis, teammates gathered around and warmly pledged their support.

A few days later, Brown said, an angry Mangino ordered him to the sideline during practice and made a shockingly insensitive comment.

"He went off on me yelling, which is fine," Brown told The Associated Press. "I kept saying, 'Yes, sir, yes, sir,' to everything he was saying. A teammate asked me what happened. Then he started on me again and I said, 'Yes, sir,' and he said, 'Don't you 'yes sir' me. I'll send you back to St. Louis where you can get shot by your homies."'
snip>

Bottom line: Mangino needs to fix the Kansas offense next year (without Reesing and Meier) and make Sharp the focal point "his anger management issues" be damned. If he doesn't make the right decisions in the next year for Kansas, I'd think about bringing in a new coach if I were the athletic director. It hasn't looked like Mangino has been competent with his use of Sharp and the running game this year. If Sharp is really hurt bad "sit him", don't give him 3 or 4 carries a game and make him look bad.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I keep envisioning Mangino on The Biggest Loser, but to do it, he'd have to quit his job, among other things.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I could see Mangino on a new series, "Land Walrus Baccalaureate", where one beautiful young college age baccalaureate has to pick from a group of rich successful middle aged bachelor "land walruses". Every land walrus bachelor would have to be a millionaire and they could argue over who would give this young lady the best prenup! The young lady can only pick one land walrus to live happily ever after with (or take the money and run)!

Mangino's pickup line that gets him picked:
"Yeah babe, I go to college too! We'd fit in just fine..

baccalaureate:
"Really, you seem a bit old for that..should have moved on with your life maybe?"

Mangino:
"Maybe, only I'm the VIP at my college. I'm the mother flippin head coach! These other quote unquote "land walruses" can't compete. I'm signed for 8 figures!"

baccalaureate:
"Really how much you SIGNED For?"

Mangino:
"Wooahh, my contract or the prenup?..Movin' too fast honey..It's 8 figures just barely..wooahh..forget it, I'm all signed on for both! I ain't from Russia, but boy am I rushin!..hey now!"

Sounds like a show I might waste my time with for about 10 or so minutes to LAUGH AT, not with!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hey ToughJ, that amount of blustering from Mangino would get his face to "eggplant stage"!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
smiley36.gif

Yeah, and "blustering" is actually pretty descript of how he speaks.
Definition:
1. To blow in loud, violent gusts, as the wind during a storm.
a. To speak in a loudly arrogant or bullying manner.
b. To brag or make loud, empty threats.
v.tr.
To force or bully with swaggering threats.
n.
1. A violent, gusty wind.
2. Turbulence or noisy confusion.
3. Loud, arrogant speech, often full of empty threats.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The land walrus predator is out after praying...um I mean "preying"- on his players (the first actually would have been better for him- even in cultural Marxist land lol). This could help Sharp's chances at another year of eligibility, in his basically lost cause season- along with the entire Kansas team- with his nagging leg injury. If Sharp does come back next year, how he is utilized will depend on who Kansas hires.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Jake tries to come back. Going to the NFL now would be career suicide, in my view.