2009 Fresno State Bulldogs

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Fresno had 7 white starters in 2005, 9 in 2006, 7 in 2007, and 8 in 2008.

Offense
QB Ryan Colburn or Derek Carr
WR/KR Devon Wylie
TE Vince Pascoe
LT Bryce Harris
C Joe Bernardi
RG Andrew Jackson

Defense
DT Logan Harrell
NT Chase McEntee
DE Kenny Borg
MLB Ben Jacobs

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Nice. It appears Fresno is going in the right direction again. Also, I noticed that a lot of the teams that we have previewed thus far have had at least one white linebacker. Hopefully, the other teams we preview have at least one white LB. Hopefully this could be a trend towards more white LBs.
smiley1.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope so Jack. Any positive trends, imho, materialize very slowly, but I think the LB trend just might be for real.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, maybe these "coaches" finally got tired of all these black LBs missing tackles and allowing big plays. To top it off, a lot of them are loudmouths too. The coaches must finally players who can tackle.

whiteCB

Master
Just out of curiosity does anybody know why Fresno St has a large green colored "V" on the back of their helmets? What the heck does a green V have anything to do with a Fresno Bulldog.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
CB, it does stand for valley, the San Joaquin Valley to be exact. Here's the story.

When Pat Hill became Fresno State's head coach prior to the 1997
season, he wanted to reinvigorate San Joaquin Valley pride in the
Bulldogs. Because Fresno State is the only Division I football program
in the Valley, a 250-mile stretch in California's midsection from
Bakersfield to Modesto, Hill wanted to make the Bulldogs the "Green Bay
Packers of college football." As Coach Hill often states, Fresno State
is not only representing Fresno, its representing the entire Valley.

This representation of the San Joaquin Valley is displayed in the form
of a green "V" on the back of the Bulldogs' helmets. The green in the
"V" is a symbol to the agricultural community of the Central Valley,
which is the world's richest agricultural area in export dollars.

whiteCB

Master
WOW! No kidding Col. Reb. You have no idea how long I've been wondering this. I'll ask friends/whoever and nobody ever knew. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. lol

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thanks, Col Reb, real interesting stuff.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
after all the work he's been doing, and with his encyclopedic knowledge of random football facts, Colonel Reb is due for a promotion, says i.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You are very welcome gentlemen! I had wondered the same thing myself until the 2005 Liberty Bowl which featured Tulsa and Fresno. I asked a Fresno fan and they told me what it meant. They even had a big green V painted in the Fresno end zone.

devans

Mentor
I just watched Fresno play Wisconsin and they have an electrifying Wide Receiver / Kick returner called Devon Wiley. He can change direction at speed and has more moves than Barry Sanders. He is definitely one to watch.

(Edited)
Edited by: devans

devans

Mentor
Yes it was Wisconsin, thanks.

I saw Wiley too in that game. The first time they mentioned his name I assumed he was black but after seeing him return a kick I noticed he was white. I was very happy he got that long touchdown, overall he looks like a fast Steve Smith type of player, but I'm not sure how well he goes after the ball like Smith does simply because that was the first time I've ever seen him play.
Edited by: Manifest Destiny

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Manifest i pretty much second what you said about Wiley. WHen i heard his name i assumed he was black, but was pleasantly surprised to see he was White. The announcers claimed the Badgers were scared of his speed, no sh*t their corners are horrible.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
we've talked about Devon Wylie a little bit in the past, and he is indeed a fast dude. according to his bio, he's actually a sub-4.3 guy and is the fastest player on the Fresno State roster.
you can see more of his physical ability by clicking these two videos:
Wylie steals the show at the 2006 USC Combine. but it "somehow" wasn't enough to get a scholarship offer from the Trojans.
Wylie's 2006 highlights can be seen here.

Colonel, you should add him to the starting lineup when you get the time.
smiley1.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Did Devon actually start this game? He's listed as third string on this week's depth chart behind West and Hamler. I'll add him anyway, since he's leading the team in all purpose yardage and is the Return man.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks whiteathlete33. I read that above but still am not sure that he's considered a starter, technically. Maybe some late changes were made and he is now the starter. I hope so!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
he is apparently battling with an injury from what i can see watching the game. he's missing a lot of reps despite being their best threat in the passing game, so i'm guessing he is struggling with a tight hamstring or something similar.

still, when he's on the field, it is apparent that he is faster than anyone else wearing red.

i say that, and now he makes a fantastic catch for a touchdown.
smiley32.gif

he can REALLY run, but his stats are being hurt by Fresno's o-line not being able to contain Boise's pass rush. every time Fresno's quarterback takes a deep drop, BSU Broncos are in his face and knocking him down. it's hard to throw the ball downfield when you aren't getting any time.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
wow! Ryan Matthews is having a MONSTER game! he's not a White kid, but give credit where it's due. he's a beast tonight.

so far he has: 14 carries, 227 yards, and 3 touchdowns which came on runs of 60, 69, and 68 yards! simply amazing.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mathews out with concussion.

<div> </div>

<div>FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - Fresno State will be without the nation's
leading rusher, Ryan Mathews, for Saturday's game against Louisiana
Tech.
</div>
Coach Pat Hill said Tuesday that Mathews will miss the game after
sustaining a concussion last week against Nevada. Hill says he expects
Mathews will likely be able to return for the season finale at Illinois
on Dec. 5 for the Bulldogs (6-4).

Mathews
leads the nation with 1,491 yards rushing. He has also scored 14
touchdowns. He is a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award as the
nation's best running back.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10388090/Fresno-St.-RB-Mathews-sidelined-by-concussion

Edited by: Colonel_Reb