2009 Draft Prospects

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Here is a list of seniors, international players and underclassmen who are declaring who have a chance of being drafted. I will update this list as more info comes in. Please feel free to add players or info as well.

NBA Lottery: May 19th
Cutoff to declare: June 15th
NBA Draft: June 25th @ 7pm EST

Sure Bets

PG - Ricky Rubio - 6'-3" - International (Spain) - Agent: YES
SG/SF - Chase Budinger - 6'-7" - Arizona - Jr. - Agent: YES
C - BJ Mullens - 7'-0" - Ohio St - Fr. - Agent: YES
PF - Tyler Hansbrough - 6'-8" - North Carolina - Sr.
SF - Omri Casspi - 6'-8" - International (Israel) - Agent: YES
PG/SG - Nick Calathes - 6'-6" - Florida - So. - Agent: YES
PLAYING IN GREECE NEXT SEASON BUT WILL REMAIN IN DRAFT

PF - Josh Heytvelt - 6'-11" - Gonzaga - Sr.
PF - Victor Claver - 6'-11" - International (Spain) - Agent: YES

Should Get Selected

SG - Lee Cummard - 6'-6" - BYU - Sr.
SF - Jonas Jerebko - 6'-9" - International (Sweden) - Agent: YES
PF - Jon Brockman - 6'-7" - Washington - Sr.

Late 2nd or Priority FA

SG - Alex Ruoff - 6'-6" - West Virginia - Sr.
C - Luke Nevill - 7'-1" - Utah (by way of Australia) - Sr.
SG - Micah Downs - 6'-7" - Gonzaga - Sr.
PG - Sergio Llull - 6'-3" - International (Spain) - Agent: YES
PG - Nando De Colo - 6'-5" - International (France) - Agent: YES
SG/SF - Emir Preldzic - 6'-8" - International (Slovenia) - Agent: YES
PG/SG - Eric Devendorf - 6'-4" - Syracuse - Jr. - Agent: YES
PG - Ben Woodside - 5'-11" - North Dakota State - Sr.
SF - Joe Ingles - 6'-7" - International (Australia) - Agent: YES
SG - Sergey Gladyr - 6'-5" - International (Ukraine) - Agent: YES

Slim Chances

PF/C - Goran Suton - 6'-10" - Michigan State (by way of Bosnia) - Sr.
PF/C - Connor Atchley - 6'-10" - Texas - Sr.
SG - Michael Bramos - 6'-5" - Miami (OH) - Sr.
C - Aron Baynes - 6'-10" - Washington State (by way of Australia) - Sr.
PF - Tony Gaffney - 6'-8" - UMass - Sr.
C - John Bryant - 6'-11" - Santa Clara - Sr.
PG - Kyle McAlarney - 6'-0" - Notre Dame - Sr.
SG - Ryan Toolson - 6'-4" - Utah Valley State - Sr.
PF - Gary Wilkinson - 6'-9" - Utah State - Sr.

WITHDRAWN FROM DRAFT

PF - Luke Harangody - 6'-8" - Notre Dame - Jr.
PG/SG - Greivis Vasquez - 6'-6" - Maryland (by way of Venezuela) - Jr.
PF - Milan MaÄÂÂ￾van - 6'-7" - International (Serbia)
G/F - Jonathan Tavernari - 6'-6" - BYU - Jr.
PF - Tim Ohlbrecht - 6'-11" - International (Germany)
SF - Vladimir Dasic - 6'-9" - International (Montenegro)Edited by: Freethinker

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Freethinker thanks for compiling this list. I don't know why no one commented on it yet. I'll comment on the guys that may go undrafted that are most underrated.

White guards are always the ones most underrated. If Ben Woodside were black- with his talent- he would have played at a bigger college and be a mid 1st round pick at worst- boy is he quick and agile. Ben would probably sneak just into the lottery, despite being undersized, if black. I was amazed by Ben's ability to penetrate into the paint and make floaters over Cole Aldrich that game. I also learned a lot about him from JC as well. Ben is also great at dishing to his teammates after penetrating off the dribble. He has many similarities to Jose Juan Barea IMO.

Michael Bramos is likely a QUALITY 2nd round pick, but will probably go undrafted. Another guy around the same level as a prospect as Bramos is Ryan Toolson and he will likely go undrafted to. Devendorf is underrated as well. I've seen Micah Downs play a fair bit and he looks like he would sneak into the 1st round if fair despite under use in his career-he's very athletic and makes big plays when he plays. I'm expecting he might go undrafted too.

I wasn't extremely high on Kyle McAlarney-he's a hot and cold shooter, is undersized and not INCREDIBLY athletic. When McAlarney gets hot- boy is he hot though. He'd be a great PFA if fair.

I've seen more and more two round mock drafts leaving PF Jon Brockman off the list- due to being white and undersized- that is BS. I've been learning about these guys, but I am still much more of a football expert.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

j41181

Master
I agree, TJR!
Great compilation by Freethinker!

I have some doubts about BJ Mullens, he seems too raw to make the NBA jump. Most of the international whites will withdraw from the NBA draft, that's for sure.

One player Freethinker did not mention is Donatas Monteijunas (Lithuania). The guy is an amazing 7-foot talent in the tradition of Nowitzki and Bargnani.

Most of the white guards are definitely long shots, no surprise, considering the NBA's real attitude towards white guards.

The white forwards and centers have obviously better chances than the white guards. Though I'm not counting on the likes of the Aussie towers, Aaron Bynes and Luke Nevill. Their skills and athleticism will obviously be scrutinized.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
If Woodside isn't selected I'll be very pissed. He is way too talented to be snubbed. I know Bramos and Toolson are talented too, but not as good as Woodside. Right now Woodside isn't even listed in the top 50 SENIORS by NBAdraft.net. I believe he's 36th on Draftexpress. This is outright ludicrous!

Here's my predictions:
For American guards Budinger will be a 1st round pick-very likely lottery. Calathes will be picked late 1st- probably early 2nd- definitely lower than he should be. Cummard will unjustly fall to the mid to late 2nd. Micah Downs MIGHT get selected, but I'm guessing no.

For internationals: Rubio will be picked in the 1st 3 picks if he declares IMO. De Colo will be selected in the 2nd round. Don't remember what I've heard about Llull and Tepic. Vasquez is part white part Native Indian- I think- and should be selected sometime in the 2nd.

BTW: I think Donatas Monteijunas is predicted to enter next years draft. Overall, it will be a pretty good year if Woodside is selected!
smiley32.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
J41181, is Monteijunas really that good? I do see that he is supposed to be drafted in the lottery next year by most mock drafts. Maybe he will have a Dirk like impact!
smiley32.gif

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Thanks guys for responding. I was hoping some of the hoopsters here would join the discussion.

Donatas Motiejūnas is NOT entering the 2009 draft. He is however an elite talent with unlimited potential would could be a top 5 pick next year with good development in Europe.

TJR & j41181, I agree that white guards have the toughest path to making the NBA and a few will likely get screwed this year.

I will add Toolson but due to his age (24) and small school (Utah Valley State) his chances are slim. Ditto for Gary Wilkinson.

Some predictions and comments:

I think Woodside may actually sneak into the end of the 2nd. His performance against Kansas was too good to go un-noticed. If not I'm sure a team like Utah will give him a chance in camp.

Devendorf is a great player with a bad attitude. He can shoot, get to the basket and is a great defender hidden in the 2-3 zone. I think his game better suits the NBA. He is a junior and can still return. He should because this years guard class is stacked. However, I cannot predict what Eric will do and I doubt anyone can do to his erratic behavior.

BJ Mullens should have returned to school. He is not ready and will ride the bench. I hope this does not stunt his development but I fear it may.

Rubio is definitely coming out as his agent announced. Top 3 pick is a lock.

Calathes best bet may be another year of school. In a weaker guard class next year he could be a 10-20 first round pick.

As for international guys I've heard good things about Victor Claver & Milan Mačvan. If they enter, they are locks to get picked early 2nd.

Other than Woodside, I'd love to see Alex Ruoff make it. I enjoyed watching him play with Joe Alexander at WV. What a fun duo!

EDIT: Devendorf has signed an agent and will be in the draft.Edited by: Freethinker

sunshine

Mentor
Well researched stuff. Good job Freethinker and group. I hope Downs gets drafted and Lee Cummard. Ohlbrecht has hops I hear.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Thanks sunshine.

I'll admit I don't know much about Ohlbrecht. I heard he has alot of potential but had a bit of a disappointing year in Europe last season. He'll probably stay in Europe and improve his game some more. Unless these European guys can be guaranteed a first round spot, financially it makes no sense for them to take less money to play in the states.

As a person of German descent, I would love to see another "Dirk" in the NBA!

green fire317

Banned
wasnt rubio pretty good in the olympics? i didnt really watch them but i heard he gave the american team all they could handle.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Scouting report on Rubio for those who are not familiar with his game. Excerpt from NBADraft.net:

Strengths: The problem with Ricky Rubio is: Where to start? He has more skill than anyone in his worldwide age group. Including but not limited to: Defense, anticipation, intelligence, ball handling, PG (vision) creation, rhythm, coordination, ambition, scoring and personality. He is practically ambidextrous, has good foot speed (not great) and excellent body control. With excellent use of speed/ direction changes he excels both on the open court and the half court game as a set up or assist man. Catch and shoot is quick and clean. A smart rebounder, he gets optimum position under both boards. Voted the best Euro young player for 2007, he has only acceptable shooting %s both from 2 and 3 points. His shooting delivery is consistent with no waste of time or extra movement. Ive thought about it a lot and think the best comparison to past-present NBA players would be the best of both Walt Clyde Frazier and Steve Nash. At 17 years old he is already a feared and well respected ACB and Euro-level competitor. He is a warrior and plays all out, all the time. On top of that knows how to flop (with this kid its an art form). He's also a master at getting to the FT line, where he knocks down a high rate (80%). Adventurous in his passing, he has two skills; Seeing and when necessary, creation of passing lanes. Excellent. Statistically he is a gem and he has personality. He leads. He knows how to win. He will become a household name in many more households.

Weaknesses: His outside shooting needs to continue to improve. Maturity will bring the necessary leg strength and stability to shoot with better consistency. His ratio of Assists/ Turnovers needs improvement, time and experience being the only necessary elements required. Related to this: His youthful inexperience sometimes gets him caught out of control when competing with physically stronger men at the highest Euro level. He is thin but will fill out as his frame is good.Edited by: Freethinker

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Looks like there will be another Spaniard joining the likes of the Gasol brothers and Jose Calderon. No its not Ricky Rubio I'm speaking of either.

PG Carlos Cabezas has signed with an agent and is looking to jump to the NBA. He can be signed by any team in the off season because he is 28 and no longer eligible for the draft. Rumor has it the Knicks are interested.

LinkEdited by: Freethinker

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Go Spain keep pumping out players!

j41181

Master
The LA Clippers have the no. 1 pick, and it's most likely they will pick Blake Griffin. Ricky Rubio should go to no.4, and that's the Sacramento Kings.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Rubio deserves to be a top 2 pick but is not a good fit for the Grizzlies who have invested in Conley. I think the Thunder will select him at 3 and move Westbrook to the SG position where he belongs. The Kings would be a great fit but I can't name 3 players more deserving of being selected than Ricky.

My dream is that the Knicks could trade up from 8 to get him but they don't have the parts needed to do that. Rubio with D'Antoni would be a thing of beauty.

green fire317

Banned
knicks would be cool, rubio, lee, and datoni would be a great trio. When is the nba draft anyways? Is it at the end of June?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Damn, that's one white NBA guard we are probably losing. I will be even more mad if Ben Woodside isn't drafted. I'm telling you guys Woodside is another Jose Juan Barea- do you guys agree with that comparison?

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Blue Devils said:
According to this article Calathes will play in Greece.

Calathes avoiding NBA, to play overseas

Bummer.

Guess more guys will opt for the money in Europe versus lesser money of the late first round/ second round money. Also, the "thug ball" that's played in the NBA is becoming less appealing as well.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Tough J seems like a fair enough comparision to me. Woodside may be a better scorer. As for Calathes he played ball last summer in Greece and i know he has Greek blood, so he must have really fallen in love with such a beautiful country. He is good enough that if he wants to take his game to the NBA in a couple of years he can. A positive is that he will for sure be on Greece's next olympic squad.

j41181

Master
Gentlemen,

This is the harsh reality for whites in basketball today. 80-90% of American whites have little or no desire to aim for the NBA, and Nick Calathes is the latest example of US whites preferring to play overseas as oppose to he NBA. When the idiot behind the article (about Calathes playing overseas) say it's every guy's dream to play in the NBA, that "dream" is only for blacks, not for whites.

Those who responded to the articles were respectful of Calathes' decision, because Calathes knew himself it's either the NBA bench, or the D-League (dreadful). He would find better life playing in the Greek League. This is truly disturbing considering David Stern's stupid claim the NBA has truly gone global, when 80% of the NBA is still black. That percentage should be down to 60%, with many white and Chinese foreigners in the NBA.

Lots of US blacks are playing in Europe right now, why can't it be the same for the NBA? Lots of European whites should be in the NBA right now.

Lots of US whites still love basketball, but when prominent white athletes like Calathes choose overseas instead of the NBA, then there is truly a disturbing racial segregation in US basketball.

my Grizzlies better pick Ricky Rubio. our main scout loves him. I think our GM likes him too. if we got Ricky Rubio then we would trade Mike Conley. Rubio has a chance to be a very special player. He would work well with OJ Mayo. that would be a dangerous back court.

I think Rubio will win teams more games than Blake Griffin will. Rubio will make his teammates better.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Great post j41181. I couldn't agree more.

"I think Rubio will win teams more games than Blake Griffin will. Rubio will make his teammates better."

I agree with this statement too. Rubio is a once in a decade type player.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Freethinker said:
Great post j41181. I couldn't agree more.

"I think Rubio will win teams more games than Blake Griffin will. Rubio will make his teammates better."

I agree with this statement too. Rubio is a once in a decade type player.

I agree with both of you guys. Griffin is a very good player but I will take a playmaking star point guard like Rubio who will have fans mesmerized with his passing and dribbling than a tweener small/power forward like Griffin who will do fine in the NBA but maybe not a star. Rubio is a star.