2008 Texas Tech Red Raiders

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for the 2008 season. No TEs are used in this spread offense, just 4 WRs.

Offense

QB Graham Harrell

WR Eric Morris

OT Rylan Reed

OG Brandon Carter

C Stephen Hamby

Defense

DE Jake Ratliff

NT Colby Whitlock

LB Bront Bird

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting story here, as Texas Tech might use kicking contest winning student for FG attempts.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8706174/Contest-winning-k icker-might-play-for-Texas-Tech [/url]

Texas Tech is the No. 8 team in the country, but it's still asking for some pretty significant help from the student body.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Matt Williams, a transfer student and kicker from Tarleton State, has been cleared to play for the Red Raiders after first being noticed while booting a field goal during an in-game promotion, according to a report on RedRaiders.com, a branch of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal Web site.

Head coach Mike Leach discovered Williams during Texas Tech's Sept. 20 game against Massachusetts, when Williams nailed a 30-yard field goal in a between-quarters contest to win himself free rent for a year.

Leach approached Williams after the kick â€â€￾ which cleared the uprights with plenty of distance â€â€￾ and invited him to join the team the following week, according to the report.

The school initially thought Williams would have to sit out a year after the transfer, but he was granted a one-time exemption by the NCAA because he was not recruited by and never received a scholarship from Tarleton State, the report said, citing Texas Tech officials.

Texas Tech received the confirmation in writing and cleared Williams on Monday.

"He's had three or four weeks now to get back in shape," McGuire said, according to the report. "He's doing a good job. He's a confident kid. He's real smooth. He's looked good so far."

The Red Raiders are 7-0 on the season but have had their share of kicking problems, going just 4-for-8 on field goals and 37-for-43 on extra points. Current starter Donnie Carona is 3-for-7 on field goals, including 0-for-3 on his attempts over 40 yards.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
WR Eric Morris is having a great day so far, with a team leading 6 catches for 38 yards and 2 TDs. He's the only regular bright spot (from our perspective) on this Red Raider offense, other than Graham Harrell.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Matt Williams, the walk-on kicker who Colonel mentioned a couple of posts up, was 9-9 on extra points today.

not bad for a guy who was in the student section a week ago.
smiley32.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I am dumbfounded watching the Texas-Texas Tech game. Who new TT was so white-friendly? Their sideline is majoirty white and they seem to be playing a half-white squad (though it may be due to injury).

I wish ABC and ESPN would bring back the player photos during intros. But then again, not having to see those blacks-only starting defenses does lower my blood pressure.

Freedom

Mentor
I'm with Liverlips. In College Football, with the large rosters, we ought to look at the whole team composition. Col. Reb obviously does a lot of the work for us outlining the starters, but there's only so much he can do. I'm pulling for Tech.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Darn right there is only so much I can do. My comp just crashed after compiling stats for 25 minutes. As for whole team composition, what good is having a majority white sideline if they never see the field? If you are going to decide who to root for in a game based on the number of whites, root for the team that actually plays whites. Thats my $.02. As for this particular game, it was pretty close to a toss up as to the whiteness of the starters.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, they both played lots of whites (including subs). I was glad TT won though as they seem a tad whiter in terms of starters.

If you look at the other title contenders (Alabama, Florida, Penn St.) it seems TT is the best of the lot followed by Penn St. The top SEC squads all seem to allow only about 5-6 white starters (with none on defense).

Gi-15

Mentor
We pointed it last year that TT was very white friendly, but this year they have only Eric Morris who's making an impact on offense, I still like them.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The way the game ended just lended more insight into the Caste System.

Yeah, corner Earl Thomas is young, but I couldn't help but notice how tiny he is. We always hear the phrase, "you can't teach size." His tackle attempt, or his attempt to pull Crabtree out of bounds, was very weak. Dare I say, "strength and hard work and a blue collar/lunch pail effort" would of got the job done!
smiley2.gif

But, the most egregious thing was the black safety running out of bounds instead of walloping Crabtree. I think it would have also been possible for the safety to grab Crabtree and proceed to slam him to the ground and hope that the game-clock runs out, and Texas gets the win.

Teams are going for longer-striding receivers' but -- because of the Caste System -- there are still a plethora of tiny corners in college and the NFL. Because, contrary to what we are force-fed 24/7, all blacks aren't tall; all blacks aren't huge or super-strong; all blacks aren't fast or possess adequate size for the position.

As for the outcome of this game, it was a wash. We didn't gain anything or lose anything. But, if anything, Shipley is more important to Texas than Morris is to Texas Tech.

I see Texas beating Baylor and (as much as I like Jake Sharp) defeating Kansas. I'll be pulling for Texas Tech over Oklahoma, but I don't hold much hope. There's nothing to like about Oklahoma.

Freedom

Mentor
Having white backups in college football, unlike pro football, often can mean future white starters. This is especially true on defense where substitutions and injuries are frequent.

We can't spend too much time on it, but we should take some note of it and look forward to those guys seeing the field.

icsept

Master
Tech dismantled the OSU defense. They never had to punt as they made it look easy against OkState's ALL Black defense. Cowboys had a single White backup linebacker that saw the field the entire game. Tech's mostly White O-line dominated. And, despite Crabtree's hype, Eric Morris was the leading receiver, receptions and yards. Mike Leach should be credited for building a great program and giving White skill players an opportunity at receiver and defensive backs.

That being said, they will be hard-pressed to beat the Sooners in Norman.