2008 Ohio State Buckeyes

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the whites who are likely to start for The OSU this year.

Offense

QB Todd Boeckman

WR Brian Hartline

TE Rory Nicol

LT Alex Boone

LG Steve Rehring

C Jim Cordle

RG Ben Person

Defense

DT Todd Denlinger

WLB Ross Homan

MLB James Laurinaitis Edited by: Colonel_Reb

OSU has the winning offensive formula year after year. I would like to see a white RB come up at some point in the future. There's a couple backup RBs, K.C. Christian and Joe Gantz, who only got slop time last year. It should be interesting to see if Bo DeLande ever gets a shot on the field, as he dominated in HS and I believe set the Ohio HS state championship rushing record in 2006.

Also I'm looking forward to seeing incoming freshman stud WR Jake Stoneburner. He should really turn some heads. On the OSU site, 9 of the 16 receivers are white, and in recent history they've always had at least one standout player.

What I'm not looking forward to is Terrelle Pryor and all the hype that will be surrounding him, as well as the nearly all black defense. At least Laurinaitis is the star, and Ross Homan and Austin Spitler should get some decent time at LB. Incoming freshmen Andrew Sweat is another guy to look forward to. Dexter Larimore will also see significant time on the DL. Edited by: Electric Slide

whiteCB

Master
Electric Slide said:
OSU has the winning offensive formula year after
year. I would like to see a white RB come up at some point in the future.
There's a couple backup RBs, K.C. Christian and Joe Gantz, who only got
slop time last year. It should be interesting to see if Bo DeLande ever gets
a shot on the field, as he dominated in HS and I believe set the Ohio HS
state championship rushing record in 2006.

WOW Electric Slide I'm impressed you really know your Ohio H.S. football
are ya from the area?

Also the starting spot for weakside OLB is up for grabs between black 5th
year senior Curtis Terry and white redshirt SOPH Ross Homan. I expect
Homan to win the job next month in practice. So let's up that defense to 3
white starters!
smiley2.gif
Edited by: whiteCB

whiteCB said:
WOW Electric Slide I'm impressed you really know your Ohio H.S. football
are ya from the area?

white starters!
smiley2.gif

whiteCB, I wouldn't say I know Ohio HS football all that well. I saw the 2006 championship game when Hilliard-Davidson won in overtime on OSN, and like many others just check up on the names that get mentioned here, lol.

That would be nice to see Homan get the job. Ohio State is always one of the high profile teams that is fun to watch, as it is one of the fairer school to white athletes.

Also, it is refreshing to see all the season previews this year with the hype deservingly being given to James Laurinaitis.

whiteCB

Master
Oh yeah I saw that game on OSN as well. I felt sorry for the Mentor team though as two straight losses in the high school championship is hard to swallow.(especially the one to Hilliard-Davidson being what 2 OTs...ouch!!)

Also Elec. Slide would you agree that its an atrocity for Mentor(an all white roster) to make it to back to back Ohio D1 championship games and yet where are D1 offers for all of their players? Meanwhile all black schools like Glenville and Warrensville Hts. continually get numerous D1 offers. What a shame. It's sort of like affirmative action on an athletic level. Edited by: whiteCB

I understand what you're saying whiteCB. The Ted Ginn and Troy Smith legacy will not end at Glenville for a long time. I believe Coach Tressel has even said he has a preference for schools where recruits have come from before. Also, Glenville's coach is Ted Ginn's father, so there are strong connections.

In my opinion, Mentor's coach needs to establish better relations with the OSU staff, do a better job of promoting their players, and working to increase the marketability of their star players. If a couple stud players were to come out of Mentor, OSU recruiting staff would be at all their home games.

The coach is probably very concerned with forming a team capable of winning state championships, and justifiably so. But there should also be some emphasis on what the athletes can do post-high school.

whiteCB

Master
Electric Slide said:
I understand what you're saying whiteCB. The Ted Ginn and Troy Smith legacy will not end at Glenville for a long time. I believe Coach Tressel has even said he has a preference for schools where recruits have come from before. Also, Glenville's coach is Ted Ginn's father, so there are strong connections.

In my opinion, Mentor's coach needs to establish better relations with the OSU staff, do a better job of promoting their players, and working to increase the marketability of their star players. If a couple stud players were to come out of Mentor, OSU recruiting staff would be at all their home games.

The coach is probably very concerned with forming a team capable of winning state championships, and justifiably so. But there should also be some emphasis on what the athletes can do post-high school.

Yeah but their coach Steve Trivisonno doesn't even get his players a lot of offers from MAC schools! Let alone Big Ten ones. There's no excuse to make it to back to back D1 championships in Ohio and not have multiple players signing letters of intents to play for D1 schools. It's a combination of college recruiters ignoring all white high school teams and Mentor's head coach not helping his players out. Simply rediculous. Sorry for the rambling on and on guys I know this is the Ohio State 2008 thread.

whiteCB

Master
whiteCB said:
Electric Slide said:
O

white starters!
smiley2.gif

WOW I need to quit my job and get into fortune telling!

Let's make that 3 on D Col. Reb.

OHIO STATE INSIDER
Glenville's Curtis Terry moves to fullback at Ohio State
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Doug Lesmerises
Plain Dealer Reporter

Columbus- Curtis Terry's status as a starting linebacker, as he's listed in Ohio State's media guide, didn't last even until OSU's first practice. When the Buckeyes hit the field just after 4:30 on Monday afternoon, the senior from Glenville High was a fulltime fullback, and sophomore Ross Homan had the inside track to start alongside senior linebackers James Laurinaitis and Marcus Freeman.

"He showed us that he could be a fullback," OSU coach Jim Tressel said, addressing the Terry shift that first began during spring practice. "That's something that obviously we need. He's got a little something about him, and I think he could add from a leadership standpoint to that group."

Homan has something about him, too. Both Terry and Homan redshirted last season with injuries, but at the start of last season Homan was splitting the weakside linebacker job with Freeman. After Homan went down, Freeman took off.

Now Tressel said that if the season were ready to start, Homan would be the starter on the weakside, with Freeman shifting to the strongside, where he has more experience. That matters because the strongside linebacker typically comes out of the game in passing downs in favor of a fifth defensive back, and that would leave Homan on the field with middle linebacker Laurinaitis.
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ohio State, despite having multiple problems and injuriesin the defensive backfield since before fall camp began, still have an all black secondary.
smiley5.gif
I just updated the whites who will start according to this week's depth chart, andthey are down to 10. Kind of a downer consideringthat the Buckeyeshad 12 white starters in 2005 and 2006, and 11 last year.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8500284/Buckeyes-safety-m ay-be-sidelined?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]

whiteCB

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
Ohio State, despite having multiple problems and injuries in the defensive backfield since before fall camp began, still have an all black secondary.
smiley5.gif
I just updated the whites who will start according to this week's depth chart, and they are down to 10. Kind of a downer considering that the Buckeyes had 12 white starters in 2005 and 2006, and 11 last year.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8500284/Buckeyes-safety-m ay-be-sidelined?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]

OSU keeps recruiting white DBs but they're switching positions. For example safety Grant Schwartz was moved to WR after last season and after reading everything possible on OSU I just keep hearing positive feedback that he will be a very good WR in the future. So nothing wrong there, its just a position better suited for him. Also Tyler Moeller was moved from safety to OLB in order to utilize his run stopping strengths. However, I read that he will be the starting nickleback for OSU in the season opener tomorrow. So he's kind of a safety/linebacker hybrid. Also he's also done so well that he's second on the depth chart and looks to be the leading candidate to replace senior Marcus Freeman next year. Also with Homan coming back and another white guy Austin Spitler to be replacing Laurinitis; OSU should have an all white LB corps next year or a "snow patrol" if you will. Also OSU has another white safety who's only a true freshman in Zach Dominicone. So all in all I see Ohio St only getting whiter and most certainly not darker.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
So all in all I see Ohio St only getting whiter and most certainly not darker.

That sounds great CB, and I hope it happens.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3581744&type=sto ry[/url]

Thursday, September 11, 2008
Wells sore after Wednesday workout; Tressel not optimistic

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>

ESPN.com news services

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said Thursday it was doubtful that starting tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells would play Saturday night against No. 1 USC.

Tressel said there was lingering soreness for Wells in his right foot after he worked out Wednesday night. Wells did not practice with the team Thursday morning just before it departed for Los Angeles.

"We were hoping he'd wake up this morning and feel even better than yesterday," Tressel said shortly before boarding the team bus to the airport. "But it didn't happen. We'll see from here."

Wells injured his right foot in the fifth-ranked Buckeyes' opener against Youngstown State, did not play last week against Ohio University, and has not had contact in partial practices this week. He flew with the team to California Thursday afternoon.

<INLINE1>

On Tuesday, Tressel said that Wells would play Saturday, and how much would depend on his progress in practice.

On Thursday, Tressel did not rule out the possibility of the junior seeing action, but he did not sound optimistic.

"Beanie practiced about 20 carries yesterday, and maybe 20 percent of the practice," Tressel said. "We didn't have him work today. He had more soreness this morning than we had hoped for. A late afternoon practice followed by a morning practice, we're hoping that's a little bit of the reason why. So we'll just have to play it by ear."

Co-offensive coordinator Jim Bollman said after Wednesday night's practice that Wells was about 75 percent healthy.

"The chances of him being 100 percent are not high, I would think," Bollman said. "That would be a miraculous recovery."

Ohio State is a 10½-point underdog against the Trojans in the first meeting between the teams in 18 years. USC has won its last seven meetings with Big Ten teams, by an average margin of 27.8 points.

With Wells out of last week's come-from-behind 26-14 victory over 33½-point underdog Ohio, redshirt freshman Dan Herron, sophomore Brandon Saine and senior Maurice Wells handled the load at tailback. They have also been seeing most of the action in practice this week, with Wells working out on Monday and Tuesday on his own under the supervision of team trainers.

Tressel said the three backups would share the job of replacing Wells, who rushing for 1,609 yards and 15 touchdowns last season and was considered a top Heisman Trophy prospect this season.

"I would call it more by committee," he said. "Now if someone starts really feeling it, no matter who that is, you would [play them]. But we're pleased with all those guys."

Tressel said team doctors, trainers and the coaching staff would monitor Wells' condition and then consult with him before ruling on whether he will play in the game at the Coliseum.

He said the Buckeyes' playbook would not be severely hampered by Wells' absence. But he did say that it still might come as a shock to Wells' teammates if he cannot play in a game of this magnitude.

"Our guys have seen that we've practiced for quite some time without him," Tressel said. "I suppose maybe when you get to the realization that, OK, maybe he won't play, then perhaps there's a 'Man!' type of thing. But we've got to go [on]."

Wells averaged 124 yards on 21 carries last season. Without him last week against Ohio, Herron (12 carries, 50 yards), Maurice Wells (9 for 48) and Saine (5 for 15) combined for 113 yards on 26 carries against the Bobcats, who led 14-6 midway through the third quarter and 14-12 heading into the fourth.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

whiteCB

Master
If Wells doesn't play USC wins. I hate 2 say it but Wells is just too important to the team scheme. It doesn't matter how well Laurinitis, Robo, Boeckman, Freeman or Hartline play.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It looks like the 2007 high school thug of the year will be the starting QB for the OSU for the next game. Hopefully he falls flat on his ugly face.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8551534/Wells-probable-fo r-Ohio-St.;-Pryor-now-the-starter?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells is likely to return to No. 14 Ohio State against Minnesota on Saturday.

<STYLE>
.moreTeamsDiv {
position:relative;
float:right;
padding-right:10px;
}
.moreTeamsHdr {
background-image:url(/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header.gif);

background-repeat:repeat-x;
background-position:top;
height:35px;
color:#000000;
font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size:12px;
padding-top:4px;
padding-left:4px;
font-weight:bold;
}
.moreTeamsLinks a:link, .moreTeamsLinks a:visited {
color:#1266a4;
text-decoration:none;
padding-top:4px;
padding-left:4px;
padding-right:4px;
padding-bottom:4px;
}
.moreTeamsLinks a:hover {
text-decoration:underline;
}
.moreTeamLinks {
font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
text-decoration:none;
}

.storyPoll {
padding-bottom: 5px;
float:right;
}
</STYLE>

<DIV =storyPoll>
< = =text/>var pollWidth=250;

< =1.2 src="/fe/js/lib/Flash/FSFlashGateway.js" =text/>

< = =text/>
var userStatus='vote';
// if this poll is the one for which they have answered, show results
if (typeof(pollsVoted)!="undefined") {
for (var i = 0; i < pollsVoted.length; i++) {
if (pollsVoted == 8597024) {
var userStatus = 'results';
break;
}
}
}
// has to have retry because hitbox code is defered.
function hitBoxVote(m,p) {
}
var pollHeight = 0;
if (pollHeight == 0) {
pollHeight = Math.max(140 + (2 * 40) );
}
var flashPollQuery='choices=2&questionId=294684&pollId=8597024&c Url=&pgCode=null&categoryId=null&userStatus='+userStatus;
var tag = new FSFlashTag("/id/8796869", 300, pollHeight); // movie path, last two arguments are width and height
tag.setId('flashPoll');
tag.setFlashvars(flashPollQuery);
tag.setWmode('transparent');
tag.setWmodeFF('transparent');
tag.write(document);

"It adds to our arsenal," coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday, shortly after announcing that Wells was probable for Saturday's game.

Wells has been out of action since injuring his right foot early in the second half of the opening victory over Youngstown State. Dan Herron has been the tailback in victories over Ohio and Troy and a lopsided defeat at top-ranked Southern California.

Ohio State could use the boost. Even though freshman Terrelle Pryor threw four touchdown passes last week in his debut as a starter against Troy, the offense has been erratic since Wells left.

Against the Trojans, the Buckeyes led just 14-10 heading into the fourth quarter before punts downed deep inside the 20 helped Ohio State set up two short touchdown drives to pull away, 28-10.

Pryor gives the Buckeyes a mobile quarterback who can avoid a collapsing pocket and transform a loss into a gain. He escaped from severe pressure on several occasions to frustrate Troy defenders and perpetuate drives.

The Buckeyes also experimented up front with several other fresh faces on the offensive line. Jim Cordle, who had started the last 16 games at center, moved to left guard to fill in for the injured Steve Rehring. Another true freshman, Mike Brewster, then took Cordle's spot.

Brewster wasn't the only youngster in the rotation up front, either. True freshman J.B. Shugarts and sophomore Andrew Miller also saw action.

Suddenly, the huddle that Wells returns to doesn't bear much resemblance to the one he left.

Todd Boeckman, the fifth-year senior who led the Buckeyes to a second consecutive outright Big Ten title and the national championship game a year ago, played just two plays against Troy and is now cemented to the bench as a backup to Pryor.

With the cat-quick Pryor on the field at the same time with Wells, who rushed for 1,600 yards a year ago, defenses will be in a quandary.

"Who are they going to defend?" Cordle said.

Asked what it would be like for a defense to face both Pryor and Wells, safety Kurt Coleman just shook his head.

"Scary," he said. "Scary."

Tressel said Pryor did not handle himself like a 19-year-old kid who had yet to attend his first college class.

"He knows where everyone is," Tressel said. "He's got a great ability to keep his head up, a calmness about him."

The presence of Wells - if indeed he is healthy and ready to play - should take some of the pressure off the young quarterback.

"Yesterday in practice (Wells) was running up my back and he was saying, 'Let's go!"' Cordle said with a laugh. "He almost ran me over on one play. He's ready to go. You can see how bad he wants to play."

Just two years ago, Tressel reined in quarterback Troy Smith so he wouldn't run so much, increasing the chances he would get through the season without being injured. That approach worked wonders. Smith almost never missed a snap while leading to the Buckeyes to a perfect regular season and winning the Heisman Trophy.

Reminded of that on Tuesday, Tressel was asked how he would try to preserve Pryor throughout this season.

"Hand it to the tailback more," he said.

With Wells now back in the fold, that'll be a popular alternative.

whiteCB

Master
Hey at least he'll have Hartline, Sanzenbacher, and Ballard/Nicol TEs to throw to.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point. Still,I'd rather seea return to Boeckman, providing he improves his play.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8677286/Ohio-St-DE-will-h ave-surgery,-miss-season?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio State defensive end Lawrence Wilson will undergo surgery for torn ligaments in his left knee and will miss the rest of this year.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Coach Jim Tressel announced Wilson's injury during his news conference on Tuesday.

Wilson missed all of last season with a broken right leg. The 6-foot-4, 274-pound junior from Akron, was injured in the Buckeyes' 16-3 victory over Purdue on Saturday.

He was the sixth-leading tackler for the Buckeyes (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) with 18, including 2 1/2 tackles for a loss with one sack.

Ohio State has been rotating players on the defensive line. Wilson's spot will most likely be filled by junior Rob Rose.

The 12th-ranked Buckeyes play at No. 20 Michigan State (6-1, 3-0) on Saturday.

whiteCB

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8677286/Ohio-St-DE-will-h ave-surgery,-miss-season?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]
<div>COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio State defensive end Lawrence Wilson will undergo surgery for torn ligaments in his left knee and will miss the rest of this year.</div>
&lt;DIV =in_info__btm&gt;</div>

Coach Jim Tressel announced Wilson's injury during his news conference on Tuesday.

Wilson missed all of last season with a broken right leg. The 6-foot-4, 274-pound junior from Akron, was injured in the Buckeyes' 16-3 victory over Purdue on Saturday.

He was the sixth-leading tackler for the Buckeyes (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) with 18, including 2 1/2 tackles for a loss with one sack.

Ohio State has been rotating players on the defensive line. Wilson's spot will most likely be filled by junior Rob Rose.

The 12th-ranked Buckeyes play at No. 20 Michigan State (6-1, 3-0) on Saturday.

This injury actually opens the door for a talented true freshman white DE named Nathan Williams to get some playing time. Here's a bio

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great news CB! Thanks for the info.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (AP) - Ohio State offensive lineman Alex Boone was arrested after being subdued with a Taser during an alleged drunken tirade, authorities said Monday.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9170910/Boone-arrested-in -California-during-drunken-tirade?FSO2&amp;ATT=MA [/url]

Boone, 21, was taken into custody late Sunday for investigation of resisting arrest after Orange County sheriff's deputies responded to a disturbance call outside of a home in Aliso Viejo.

When they arrived, the 6-foot-8, 312-pound tackle had been jumping on car hoods, yanking on a tow truck cable and trying to break a window, said sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.

Boone ran away from deputies and was found hiding underneath a patio, authorities said. Boone was combative and uncooperative and had to be taken down with a stun gun, Amormino said.

"He was yelling obscenities at deputies and had a strong smell of alcohol," Amormino said. "His blood-alcohol level was at least three times the legal amount."

Boone was taken to a hospital and then to a jail medical ward, where he remained. He had not been booked yet.

Boone, who was selected All-Big Ten this year, could be selected in the NFL draft in April.

Ohio State spokeswoman Shelly Hoffman said Monday that she was unaware of the arrest and could not comment.