2008 BYU Cougars

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the likely starting white Cougars for 2008.

Offense

QB Max Hall

WR Austin Collie

HR Bryce Mahuika

TE Dennis Pitta

LTMatt Reynolds

C Dallas Reynolds

RG Travis Bright

RT David Oswald

Defense

LE Brett Denney

RE Jan Jorgensen

SLB David Nixon

BLB Shawn Doman-in a fight for the position

WLB Coleby Clawson-in a fight for the position

MLB Matt Bauman

CB Scott Johnson

FS Kellen FowlerEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bad news for BYU right now as theylost a couple of key players for several weeks. Just released is the news that starting Center Tom Sorenson will have to undergo shoulder surgery and will miss 4-6 weeks, likely making his return during the season. WR Austin Collie, a Caste Football favorite, suffered a stress fracture that was diagnosed Saturday. He will be out of practice until just before the season begins. Depending upon how he heals, he might make or miss the first game against Northern Iowa on August 30. The Daily Universe reported this yesterday, and also said likely replacements should he miss a game or twoinclude Soph. Luke Ashworth (white), Fr. Spencer Hafoka (Hawaiian), and Fr. O Neill Chambers (black). Hopefully Austin will be back to full strength by the first or second game. My wife and I aredefinitely goingto the UCLA game on September 13 and the Wyoming game on September 20, and I want to see him in action.

Also on the injured list is polynesian RB Fui Vakapuna (still his hamstring), and white LB Matt Bauman (foot).

Some goodBYU news, they are ranked 17th in the pre-season coaches poll. TE Dennis Pitta (my favorite current Cougar) is on the John Mackey Award watch list. Thekicking gamelooks pretty solid with two men battling for the kicking job, while C.J. Santiago is punting very well so far in practice.

RB J.J. DiLuigi is looking really nice after the first two days of practice. He is catching the ball well and has "impressive quickness."Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU practice update: Yesterday saw some hard hitting with the players still in shells. Andrew Rich, a white DB, managed to strip TE Dennis Pitta of a score in the endzone. A hard hit to black WR Michael Reed ended the practice. Today's practice will be the first full pads practice of fall camp. The wife and I are going to head down and check it out as it is open to the public. On a side note, Northern Iowa, BYU's season opening opponent, is ranked within the top 10 in most preseason FCS rankings I've seen. I'm going to preview their white startersshortly.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU update-Thursday's practice wasn't quite as hard hitting, but WR Luke Ashworth looked pretty good, snagging a very high pass with one hand. Two-a-days started yesterday and the first scrimmage is today.

An interesting article about the defensive back competition that was in yesterday's paper:

http://www.sltrib.com/CollegeSports/ci_10137277

CB Scott Johnson had a good day Thursday!

m-00000002731.jpg

whiteCB

Master
Good article, its funny how BYU has a field and boundary CB positions. Ohio St does the same thing as well. Boundary meaning short side of the field and field meaning wide side of the field. I personally think that;s the wy it should be done as opposed ot just right and left CB spots. You can put your run stuffing CB in the boundary and have your better pass denfender playing the field side where he can cover more ground.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's how the scrimmage went yesterday.

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=10976

J.J. DiLuigi

DiLuigi3.gif

PROVO, Utah (August 9, 2008) - The BYU football team held its first scrimmage of Fall Camp in LaVell Edwards Stadium on Saturday morning. While several projected starters and veterans were held out or saw limited action, many younger players had the opportunity to showcase their skills in real-game situations.

"We held out a lot of the players we don't have to evaluate, and gave more playing time to our younger players," said head coach Bronco Mendenhall. "A lot of execution work needs to be done with the younger guys. Next week that will be our focusâ€â€￾getting these players ready to provide the added depth we will need this season."

The defense was able to hold the offense to just one touchdown and a single field goal, as the team focused mainly on its running game. Freshman J.J. Di Luigi rushed for 31 yards on five carries, while a variety of other young running backs received multiple reps, including Bryan Kariya (white walk on) and Tucker Lamb(white walk on).

"It's nice to see the younger guys getting some reps," said sophomore running back Harvey Unga. "I was in their position at one time so I know how anxious they are and how they feel."

Junior tight end Andrew George (white) led all receivers with four catches for 79 yards, with his longest coming by way of a 32-yard pass from quarterback Max Hall. Two plays later, Hall found George again for a 26-yard reception, which helped set up a 29-yard field goal by sophomore Mitch Payne.

The defensive play of the day came after junior defensive back Brandon Howard picked off a pass from Kurt McEuen and returned it for a 35-yard touchdown. The young defense continued to make playsâ€â€￾consistently holding the running game to two or three yards per carry.

"This is the time to get out and hit and have fun," said junior defensive lineman Jan Jorgensen. "Our defense is pretty fast. I was proud of the younger guys for going out and giving it all they had. They just need to learn their positions and assignments a little better, but I thought we stopped the running game pretty well today."

The offense was able to put together an 80-yard touchdown drive after a 40-yard pass from Hall to freshman wide receiver O'Neill Chambers. Chambers stepped out of bounds at the 33-yard line on what had the potential to be a touchdown pass.

"[The defender] bit on the run and I sold the fake," said Chambers. "It was a good throw, but I couldn't keep my feet in. It felt good. Today I just wanted to get out and show what I can do."

Following a false start penalty on the offense, a 10-yard pass from Hall to Kelly Bills (white walk on) gave the team its only touchdown of the day.

Freshman kicker Justin Sorensen ended the scrimmage by making a 48-yard field goal, his longest of the day. An earlier attempt from 47-yards fell just to the left of the posts.

Hall led all passers, completing 11-of-15 passes for 157 yards and a touchdown, while Brendan Gaskins was 2-of-3 for 21 yards.

Two-a-days will resume on Monday with the team's first practice beginning at 10 a.m. and the second starting at 5 p.m.

Colonel_Reb's edit-

I talked to Tucker Lamb's mother Thursday morning at the open practice and she wasn't very optimistic about him playing, even later in his college career (he's just a freshman), although she said he is fast and has great balance. Tucker is 5-9, 190. I told her that if he has the skills, the only thing she has to worry about is him being judged fairly by the coaches. She said she believed he would be evaluated fairly. After that statement, it made me wonder why she seems so down on him getting any playing time. I reminded her of my favorite player from three seasons ago, Nathan Meikle, a walk on who ended up with a scholarship and quite a bit of playing time at different positions. All I can say is I'm glad she's not my mother. I realize in Caste Football its best not to be overly optimistic, but she was way too negative. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Oops, I was thinking Scott Johnson when I wrote that. Its good to know that there are always people looking for accuracy. It helps keep those of us who constantly post information on our toes.
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU update-It looks like the Field Corner position is a battle between two blacks, one of which didn't play in the scrimmage today because of a concussion received yesterday. The Boundary Corner position might be Scott Johnson's. Coach Bronco Mendenhall will be making a lot of depth chart decisions this weekend. Here are a couple of articles about yesterday's practice and today's scrimmage.

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=10992

PROVO, Utah (August 15, 2008) - The offense and defense took turns dominating team drills on Friday, with the defense forcing field goal attempts during the morning practice, and the offense scoring three times in the afternoon.

During morning team drills, kicker Mitch Payne made 33 and 37-yard field goals after the first-team offense was unable to score. Freshman kicker Justin Sorensen also had a field goal attempt, but missed the 43-yarder during an overtime situation. Head coach Bronco Mendenhall says the two kickers will continue to compete for the starting role until the week leading up to the season opener against Northern Iowa.

"We're trying to create as many pressure situations as possible," he said. "Mitch is more confident and more consistent day-in and day-out. I think the competition has helped that. It may very well be Mitch from short to mid field goal range, and Justin as a kickoff and long field goal guy, based on how the numbers play out. We have options within there."

Junior defensive back Scott Johnson made several plays during the drills, including a forced third-and-10 situation. With the ball on the offense's own 31-yard line, Johnson's coverage on wide receiver Michael Reed resulted in an incomplete pass. Johnson is one of several players competing for a starting position on BYU's young defense.

"We're competing with each other, not against each other, to try and make the whole secondary the best it can possibly be," he said. "Execution and position mastery is how this defense works, knowing where you're supposed to be and trusting your teammate to be where he's supposed to be."

The offense came back strong during 11-on-11 evening drills. Max Hall threw for a perfect 6-of-6 for 100 yards. His first drive consisted of back-to-back five-yard passes to Harvey Unga and Luke Ashworth, followed by a deep 40-yard throw to freshman receiver O'Neill Chambers.

Hall's second drive was highlighted when senior Fui Vakapuna caught a short pass up the middle and ran for a 25-yard gain. Ashworth hauled in a 19-yard pass which set up Hall's second touchdown pass of the night, a five-yard toss to Andrew George.

Sophomore Kurt McEuen started the final drive of the day, and connected with freshman tight end Braden Brown for a 50-yard touchdown.

With the team's second scrimmage set for Saturday morning, Mendenhall has pinpointed several areas that require immediate attention. The team's first priority will be giving Hall the appropriate number of snaps determined by coach Doman and coach Anae. The coaches will follow by giving both McEuen and Brenden Gaskins an equal number of snaps and allowing both quarterbacks to show where they stand.

"Saturday will be a great chance to break some of the ties among the players," said Mendenhall. "It's not just about the quarterbacks, but several of the other positions. Any of the positions that are relatively close right now, the scrimmage will hopefully make that lean one way or another."

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=10993

PROVO, Utah (August 16, 2008) - Head coach Bronco Mendenhall will use the film from Saturday's scrimmage at LaVell Edwards Stadium as he and his staff try to solidify the depth charts as they enter the third week of Fall Camp.

"With two weeks to play, a lot of those personnel decisions will be made over the weekend," said Mendenhall. "I'll have to look more specifically at what happened today. We have a couple hours of film work to do and hopefully that will help sort out the depth. I'd like to have it solidified by Monday."

Mendenhall will have plenty to look at over the weekendâ€â€offensively, defensively and on special teams. Brenden Gaskins and Kurt McEuen continued their battle for the backup quarterback position, receiving equal reps throughout the scrimmage, while kickers Mitch Payne and Justin Sorensen alternated on kickoffs and extra point attempts.

Sorensen's opening kickoff sailed into the endzone, setting the offense up on the 20-yard line. Quarterback Max Hall led the first-team offense to the first score of the game, a five-yard touchdown pass to O'Neill Chambers. On the drive, Hall was five-for-five for 52 yards.

"Finally we're getting to a point where I'm in a rhythm with our receivers," said Hall. "I know where they're going to be and it feels a lot more smooth. Now we just have to work on being more consistent. We can't have a nice long drive, go down and score, and then go three-and-out on the next drive."

Hall's second drive of the day ended after he was sacked by Shawn Doman on third-down. The defense racked up five sacks on the day.

Punter C.J. Santiago was kept busy during the next several series, with the defense forcing multiple three-and-out situations.

Hall led the team's second scoring drive, finding Kaneakua Friel, Fui Vakapuna and Andrew George for big gains as the offense marched down the field. The drive ended with junior running back Wayne Latu stumbling into the endzone on a three-yard rush.

Freshman quarterback Stephen Covey came in to lead a predominantly run-oriented offense for the final series of the day. Covey racked up 19 yards on three carries and had several hand-offs to running back Bryan Kariya for a combined 31 yards.

"Covey did a nice job today," said Hall. "He came out today and battled. He's just a good player and I think he had fun today. No matter who's on the field, I'm rooting for them. It's nice to know you have guys behind you who are playmakers."

Hall recorded a team-high 130 yards passing and completing 10-of-14 passes.

Midway through the scrimmage, junior linebacker Dan Van Sweden was carted off the field after suffering what has been initially diagnosed as a fractured fibula.

The team will resume practice on Monday, holding practice in both the morning and evening.

http://www.sltrib.com/collegesports/ci_10224275

<TABLE cellPadding=8 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =articleTitle>Reserve linebacker breaks leg in BYU football scrimmage</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =articleByline>By Jay Drew
The Salt Lake Tribune

Salt Lake Tribune</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =articleDate>Article Last Updated:</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD height=10></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =article>Posted: 3:17 PM- PROVO - Coaches held some of the big-name stars out of BYU's scrimmage at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Saturday morning to avoid getting them injured, but saw a seldom-used linebacker go down with a season-ending injury anyway.
Junior linebacker Dan Van Sweden, a third-teamer from Northridge High in Layton, suffered a fractured fibula just a few plays into the scrimmage, coach Bronco Mendenhall said.
There were a few other minor injuries. Backup cornerback G Pittman did not play because he suffered a mild concussion in Friday's practice, and probable starters David Tafuna (safety), Austin Collie (receiver) and Matt Ah You (linebacker) also sat with injuries suffered before or during camp.
Mendenhall called the 68-play scrimmage "dead-even" between the offense and defense.
Running back Harvey Unga did not play for the offense, and linebacker David Nixon did not play for the defense. Tight end Dennis Pitta and defensive end Jan Jorgensen got in on only a few plays.
Max Hall led the offense on both its scoring drives, throwing a 5-yard touchdown pass to freshman O'Neill Chambers on the first possession of the day. Later, Wayne Latu capped a drive with a short TD run.
"It's not bad," said Hall, who was 10-for-14 for 130 yards and a touchdown in leading the offense to two TDs in four possessions. "I wanted to get it in every time. And I was just saying, we got to be more consistent. We have to have a nice drive every time we step on the field."
Mendenhall said he won't know which players lost or earned places on the depth chart until he watches the film, but clearly sophomore kicker Mitch Payne moved ahead of freshman Justin Sorensen in the race to be the field goal kicker.
Payne made a 55-yarder and a pair of 43-yarders in pre-scrimmage drills, while Sorensen missed all three of his tries from the same lengths.
The Cougars will take Sunday off and resume practice on Monday with sessions at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Mendenhall said he has not decided yet if he will conduct another scrimmage before the end of fall camp.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there has been a lot of good news from BYU so far this fall, including:
RB J.J. DiLuigi, 5-9, 199, RS freshman: The MVP of the California Bowl has significantly stepped up his game and is clearly the man behind star Harvey Unga, and his readiness looks like it will enable offensive coordinator Robert Anae to keep Unga rested over the course of a season because DiLuigi can handle quality carries.
WR Luke Ashworth, 6-2, 195, sophomore: Any time a missionary returns and can step in and make a difference, it's a bonus for the Cougars. Ashworth has made the most of his time while Austin Collie nurses a stress fracture. Big, fast and sure hands.
lukeashworth.gif

Luke Ashworth

SS Andrew Rich, 6-3, sophomore: An All-American at Snow College last fall, inside seven months on campus, he's delivered as promised. If BYU played a game tomorrow, Rich would start in the secondary and is physical enough to compliment what Jaime Hill wants in his defense.
that would mean BYU once again has at least 3 white starters in the secondary...
smiley32.gif

now some not-bad-but-not-so-good news...
BYU football: Collie feels good, hopes to be back practicing this week

PROVO - Austin Collie is getting "extremely antsy."
The BYU receiver verbalized that after he watched Saturday's scrimmage at LaVell Edwards Stadium from the sidelines, but it has been apparent all through fall camp as the junior with the stress fracture in his right leg has kept himself busy without participating in any contact or team drills.
He has caught tennis balls fired from a machine at close range, caught footballs with one hand, thrown passes to receivers and even hopped on his good leg almost from one end of the practice field to the other.
His ever-present companion: a wire running from a battery pack on his waist to a bone stimulator wrapped around his right leg, an inch or two below his knee cap.
"It's been frustrating," he said. "I am a competitor. I always want to compete and always want to be out there with my team. It's been hard. It's been very difficult and it has definitely been a trial for me."
Alas, this could be the week that Collie gets back into the action, after an MRI a day before fall camp began revealed the stress fracture and sent him to the sidelines for the first two weeks.
"Sometime next week is the plan," he said Saturday.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall was not as certain, saying Saturday he didn't know how close Collie is to returning.
"And if it is even close [to not being 100 percent] we will hold him out until possibly game week, is what I plan on doing," Mendenhall said, then added, "I am not concerned, and I won't be even until game week. He will be ready to play. He's a competitor and he knows exactly what to do, and I trust him. So, I'm not worried."
Collie was fully dressed prior to Saturday's scrimmage, and ran with the receivers in a pre-scrimmage deal, taking short passes from quarterback Max Hall while going half-speed with no defenders in the area.
"Right now, I feel good," he said. "If I had to go out there and play today, I think I could play. I mean, I would hurt a bit after, but the doctors and our trainer Kevin Morris have done a tremendous job of keeping me patient and keeping me grounded and letting me know that everything is going to be alright."
Collie said when he does return, he won't feel rusty.
You are rusty "when you come back from a mission," he said. "I've only been out two weeks. I don't think it will be that hard to get back into it."

AustinCollie.gif

Austin Collie

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
JC, I saw Luke during practice Thursday before last and he looked really sharp. I hope Andrew Rich does start at SS. We'll know for sure in 12 days as they take on powerhouse Northern Iowa. I plan on being there.

White Power

Mentor
Diluigi looks dark to me does anyone know his racial make up. Could be that maybe he isn't white enough for some of you on this board. I'm not trying to stir up contreversy I would just like some clarification.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
We've been over J.J. DiLuigi's racial makeup before and pretty much agreed that he is a dark Italian. You know a lot of Italians are pretty dark, including one of our posters here at CF. Anyway, when you look at J.J. and see his name, it makes sense. His parents names are John and Meribeth.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i didn't realize you've been attending some of the practices, Colonel. very nice. nothing like seeing things for yourself as opposed to being fed selected nuggets from the media.
smiley32.gif

have you by chance seen anything special out of Jordan Pendleton? i recall some nice praise for him when the Cougars signed him... supposedly he is a very athletic defensive back.

White Power

Mentor
Colonel don't get offended at the question. Paki O Meara looks more white than J.J.,and yet he wont be included. Do any of you get my argument? If you want pull up both pictures and see for yourself.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm not offended at the question White Power. I'm tired of rehashing issues that have been discussed and pretty much settled before. You can include who you want to and I'll include who I want to. I caught a lot of flack from some posters for including some mixed players, as well as polynesians and hispanics, in my team previews from 2005-2007. I decided earlier this year that in order to really see what was going on with white players in major college football over time, I needed to focus solely on white players. Its as simple as that. I've already explained my position on mixed/polynesian/hispanic/ asian players. I usually root for them over a black, but not over a white. As far as Paki goes, he is clearly mixed. J.J. is Italian. The lightness or darkness of the skinhas little to do with it. Knowing that O'Meara is mixed is why I didn't include him. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing left to discuss.

White Power

Mentor
Ok I did not know that you decided not to include other non black races this year. That explains alot of my questions.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No problem. Here is the text from my whitest college teams thread that I started back in June,as well as the link to the thread.

"Out of all 120 teams, here are the FBS (1A)programs that should start 11 whites out of 22 full time positions. I also include a list of "close but no cigar" teams that will likely start 10 whites out of 22. This year I was a little more strict and did not include polynesian or hispanic named people unless I thought they were white for our purposes. There were a few players that I could not find pictures of but who I think are white. I included them as white. Also there were a few whites who were battling with a non-white for a position. I included the white player as if they won the position battle. Some of these errors will be corrected by us/you over the course of the season. Thanks to the men who have helped in this yearly effort:jared, texasheat, and whiteCB."

[url]http://www.castefootball.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8020&a mp;a mp;PN=1[/url]Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Updated BYU's starters.

jared

Mentor
BYU is laying an absolutely soul crushing defeat on UCLA. Max Hall and Austin Collie are shaming the UCLA secondary.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes they are! My wife and I left BEFORE halftime. No sense in burning up when the game is already decided. UCLA looks lethargic and BYU is playing better than I've seen them play, maybe since before I came here in 2005.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
A week after the SEC became the first conference to have 5 teams in the top 10, the MWC has 3 teams in the top 25 for the first time in the 10 year history of the conference! I think Air Force has a good shot at being ranked later in the season as well. BYU is 11th in both polls.

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=11153

<TABLE =facilityer style="WIDTH: 704px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Cougars Climb to No. 11 in AP Poll</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<DIV id=main style="WIDTH: 712px">by Brett Pyne, BYU Athletic Communications

<TABLE width=215 align=right>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=middle> Printer Friendly Version Email to a Friend </TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD>
BYU_D_vs._Wyoming.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD>
<DIV =captionText style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px">BYU's defense has given up a total of 44 points in BYU's 4-0 start, while the Cougar offense is averaging 43 points per game. (BYUPhoto/JarenWilkey)

</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
Three MWC Teams Ranked in the Top 25

PROVO, Utah (Sept. 21, 2008) â€â€￾ Following its second consecutive shutout with a 44-0 victory over Wyoming on Saturday, BYU (4-0) climbed three spots to No. 11 in The Associated Press Top 25 while maintaining the same No. 11 ranking in the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll.

Led by Heisman Trophy candidate Max Hall and an increasingly impressive defense, the Cougars are off to a 4-0 start. They have outscored their opponents 103-0 in the last two games with a 59-0 trouncing of Pac-10 foe UCLA and Saturday's 44-0 triumph over Wyoming in BYU's league opener. The Cougars are one of three Mountain West Conference teams currently ranked in the Top 25, joined by Utah (4-0) at No. 17 in both polls and TCU (4-0) at No. 23 by the coaches and No. 24 by AP.

BYU currently holds the longest winning streak in the country at 14 straight and has won 25 of its last 27 games. The Cougars are the highest-ranked team from a conference without automatic qualification into a BCS bowl. USC tops both polls followed by Oklahoma, Georgia, and Florida with LSU and Missouri flip-flopping the No. 5 and No. 6 spots in the two polls. Texas (No. 7 both polls), Wisconsin (No. 8 USA Today/No. 9 AP), Texas Tech (No. 9 USA Today/No. 10 AP) and Alabama (No. 10 USA Today/ No. 8 AP) round out the teams ranked just ahead of the Cougars.

The Cougars have been nationally ranked since cracking the polls on Nov. 18, 2007, following a 35-10 victory at Wyoming. BYU finished the 2007 season with wins over Utah (17-10), San Diego State (43-27) and UCLA (17-16) to earn a No. 14 final ranking. BYU opened the 2008 season ranked No. 17 in the USA Today Coaches Poll and No. 16 in The Associated Press Top 25.

The Cougars have a bye this week before returning to action on Oct. 3 at Utah State.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nixon and Santiago MWC players of the week.

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=11154

For the third straight week at least one BYU football player has been named MWC Player of the Week. This week two Cougars received the honor -- linebacker David Nixon and punter CJ Santiago. Nixon was honored as Defensive Player of the Week, while Santiago took home Special Teams Player of the Week honors. All-American candidate Max Hall won the MWC Offensive Player of the Week honor in weeks two and three.

Defensive Player of the Week

DAVID NIXON

Senior
Linebacker
College Station, Texas

<A style="outline: 0" =".getElementById('windowsMedia').inner='< id=MediaP width=300 height=270 id=CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95 code=http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mp/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,0,02,902 standby=&quot;Loading Microsoft Windows Media P components...&quot; =application/x-ole> < name=Name value=http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/movies/football/FTB_David_Nixon_MWC_P_of_the_Week_9_23_2008.wmv> < name=animationatStart value=true> < name=autoStart value=True> < name=transparentatStart value=false> < name=ClickToPlay value=1>< name=showControls value=true>< =application/x-mp2 pluginspage=http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaP/ src=http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/movies/football/FTB_David_Nixon_MWC_P_of_the_Week_9_23_2008.wmv name=MediaP1 width=300 height=270 AutoStart=True></></>';return false;" href="http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=11154#">
FTB_David_Nixon_MWC_Player_of_the_Week_9_23_2008.jpg

<DIV style="MARGIN: 7px 10px 0px">David Nixon MWC Player of the Week
</A>

Senior defensive captain David Nixon led a Cougar team that recorded back-to-back shutouts for the first time since Sept. 1985.

In just two and a half quarters of play, Nixon was dominating. He tied or led BYU in five defensive categories, including tackles (6), forced fumbles (1), fumble recoveries (1), quarterback hurries (2) and interceptions (1).

With Wyoming driving right before the half, Nixon caused a fumble and recovered the ball on the Wyoming 48 yard line to kill the drive. In the third quarter he intercepted a Karsten Sween pass and returned it 19 yards for a touchdown, giving BYU a 41-0 lead with 8:25 to play in the third.

Nixon is second in the MWC in fumbles forced and eighth in tackles for loss.

Special Teams Player of the Week

CJ SANTIAGO

Senior
Punter
Honolulu, Hawaii

<A style="outline: 0" =".getElementById('windowsMedia').inner='< id=MediaP width=300 height=270 id=CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95 code=http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mp/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,0,02,902 standby=&quot;Loading Microsoft Windows Media P components...&quot; =application/x-ole> < name=Name value=http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/movies/football/FTB_CJ_Santiago_MWC_P_of_the_Week_9_23_2008.wmv> < name=animationatStart value=true> < name=autoStart value=True> < name=transparentatStart value=false> < name=ClickToPlay value=1>< name=showControls value=true>< =application/x-mp2 pluginspage=http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaP/ src=http://www.byucougars.com/uploads/movies/football/FTB_CJ_Santiago_MWC_P_of_the_Week_9_23_2008.wmv name=MediaP1 width=300 height=270 AutoStart=True></></>';return false;" href="http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=11154#">
FTB_CJ_Santiago_MWC_Player_of_the_Week_9_23_2008.jpg

<DIV style="MARGIN: 7px 10px 0px">CJ Santiago MWC Player of the Week
</A>

CJ Santiago had an impressive outing for BYU in its 44-0 triumph over Wyoming. On the day Santiago had seven punts for an average of 46.7 yards per kick, including one for 61 yards â€â€￾ a new season high.

Santiago was key in helping BYU win the field position battle all day. His first three punts were all downed inside the Wyoming 20 yard line â€â€￾ the first at the 11, the second at the 5 and the third at the 4-yard line. The third punt that pinned the Cowboys deep led to a David Nixon interception that was returned 19 yards for a touchdown.

In all, Santiago had four of his seven punts downed inside the Wyoming 20. The other three punts covered 47, 53 and 42 yards.

Gi-15

Mentor
BYU will crack the top10 for sure after this crazy weekend, maybe 7th or 6th. I'm beggining to beleive they could get a shot at the NC if they wins out...