2008 Arizona St. Sun Devils

jared

Mentor
Here are the likely white starters for ASU this season. Things are getting darker already with coach Dennis Erickson. A least we have a very solid WR and probably the only "snow patrol" in the Pac-10.

OFFENSE

QB: Rudy Carpenter, Sr
WR: Chris McGaha, Jr
LT: Jon Hargis

DEFENSE

DT: David Smith, Sr
OLB: Travis Goethel, Jr
MLB: Gerald Munns, Jr
OLB: Mike Nixon, JrEdited by: jared

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
89Glory, "snow patrol" was the name given by the media to the white New Orleans Saints LB corps a couple of years ago. They thought it was nothing more than an affirmative action ploy to have an all white group of starting LBs. They figured there was no way they could all be the best LBs on the team. jared is just using that term to describe college teams who will start whites at all their LB positions. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

G

Since the media never applies a double standard or treats the races differently, let me see if I can guess what they call an all black LB squad...

Coal patrol?

smiley36.gif

jared

Mentor
Updated the depth chart, though not for the better unfortunately. No snow patrol I'm afraid -at least not right away. JR LB Mike Nixon is still the top reserve at every linebacker position so he will be ready to scoop up a spot if anyone struggles.

On the plus side, WR Chris McGaha is slated as the primary kick returner this year.
smiley32.gif

KG2422

Mentor
89Glory said:
Since the media never applies a double standard or treats the races differently, let me see if I can guess what they call an all black LB squad...

Coal patrol?

smiley36.gif

I like that alot.
smiley36.gif

jared

Mentor
Updated. Mike Nixon appears to be starting now at OLB. McGaha is not returning kicks after all...

jared

Mentor
After another impotent performance by the Devils on national TV, there are likely to be some position shakeups over the next 2 weeks. Max Tabach took over starting S duties in the 2nd quarter of the Georgia game (it didn't appear to be due to injury either). I'm not sure if that's a trend that will last or not. Either way, he plays in dime packages and is pushing the black starter for playing time. Interior OL play has been pretty bad and I wouldn't be surprised to see C Garth Gerhart and G Matt Hustad supplant the current starters.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike Nixon has a 38 yard INT return for a TD and Travis Goethel has a 45 yard INT return for a TD in tonight's game!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<div> </div>

<div>Former Michigan QB Steven Threet to transfer to ASU.

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) - Former Michigan quarterback Steven Threet
plans to transfer to Arizona State, according to a person familiar with
Threet's decision who requested anonymity because the details are still
being worked out.

The 6-foot-6 Threet would sit out the 2009 season and have two years of eligibility remaining.
</div>

Threet
started his college career at Georgia Tech before transferring to
Michigan. A pocket passer who was recruited by former Wolverines coach
Lloyd Carr, Threet seemed a poor fit with Michigan coach Rich
Rodriguez's offense, which favors mobile quarterbacks.

Still,
Threet started eight games as a redshirt freshman last year, passing
for 1,105 yards and nine touchdowns with seven interceptions. ESPN.com
first reported Threet's decision.

Arizona State has three
quarterbacks on scholarship - senior Danny Sullivan, sophomore Samson
Szakacsy and freshman Brock Osweiler. Jack Elway, son of NFL Hall of
Famer John Elway, has quit football and Chasen Stangel is leaving the
program.
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9506448/Michigan-QB-Three t-transferring-to-ASU[/url]Edited by: Colonel_Reb