2007 White RBs

backrow

Hall of Famer
thanks Jimminy, good weekend for our guys. i just wish we'd see more carries for Schmitt, Hillis and Bell!

G

Jimmy Chitwood said:
since Colonel Reb is bogged down with real life this weekend *laughs* i thought i'd try to help out a little...

Week 7

Division 1A
Chad Hall Air Force continues running rampage through the MWC! 28 carries for 167 yards.
smiley32.gif
also had 2 catches for 4 yards and 1 touchdown.
Kip McCarthy Air Force 3 for 6.
Peyton Hillis Arkansas 4 carries for 18, and 4 catches for 60 yards a 1 touchdown.
Joe Semanoff BYU 2 for 5, and 2 catches for 6.
Dual-Threat Quarterback Dan LeFevour 5 for 31, and threw 2 TDs.
Jake Behrens Colorado NSA.
Kyle Bell Colorado State 14 for 68.
John Mosure Colorado State 1 catch for 9 yards.
Justin Boyle Duke BYE.
Dual-Threat QB Tim Tebow Florida 20 carries for 78 yards and 1 touchdown, threw for 4 touchdowns.
smiley32.gif

Brannan Southerland Georgia BYE.
Jake Sharp Kansas 15 for 53 and a touchdown, also had 6 catches for 18.
Dual-Threat QB Todd Reesing Kansas 7 for 84, and threw for a TD.
Jacob Hester LSU 9 carries for 50 and 2 catches for 6 and 1 touchdown.
Dual-Threat QB Matt Flynn LSU 10 for 34, threw for 3 TDs.
Brock Bolen Louisville 16 for 60, and 5 catches for 32.
Mike Milano Michigan NSA.
Eric Kettani Navy 14 for 75.
Adam Ballard Navy 3 for 11.
Luke Lippincott Nevada 36 carries for 246 yards and 2 touchdowns!
smiley32.gif
also added 4 catches for 20 yards.
Dual-Threat QB Giovanni Vizza North Texas 24 carries for 5 yards. ouch! threw for 1 touchdown in a blowout loss.
Micah Mosley North Texas 3 for 2, and 1 catch for a 30-yard TD.
Asaph Schwapp Notre Dame 1 for 1.
Luke Schmidt 2 for 6.
K.C. Christian Ohio State NSA.
Andy Stewart Oregon State BYE.
Matt Hahn Penn State 5 for 43.
Dan Lawlor Penn State NSA.
Dan Dierking Purdue 1 for -3.
Jacob French San Jose State 8 for 7, and 4 catches for 21.
Dual-Threat QB Matt Grothe South Florida 18 for 58 and a TD, threw 1 touchdown in the loss.
Paul Chiara Syracuse NSA.
Dual-Threat QB Stephen McGee Texas A&M 35 for 167,
smiley32.gif
and threw for a TD.
Dual-threat QB Tyler Lorenzen UConn 10 for 56, and threw for a TD.
Ray Stowers Utah NSA.
K/RB Corbin Louks Utah 3 for 0.
Jared Hawkins Vanderbilt 7 for 5.
Dual-Threat QB Mackenzi Adams Vanderbilt 13 for 84.
Kevin Harris Wake Forest 2 for 4.
Dual-Threat QB Jake Locker Washington 13 for 78, adn threw for 4 TDs.
Owen Schmitt West Virginia 4 for 3, and 2 catches for 13 and 1 touchdown.

Division 1-AA
Chad Kackert New Hampshire 7 for 44.
Sean Jellison New Hampshire 3 for 12.
Keith LeVan New Hampshire 7 catches for 121 yards.
Tyler Roehl North Dakota State 22 for 236 yards and 1 touchdown against the big boys!
smiley32.gif
and 3 catches for 9 yards.
Johnny Sanchez Southern Utah 20 for 74 and a touchdown.
Andrew McCloud Western Kentucky 10 for 39 and 1 touchdown, and 1 catch for -3 yards.

Division II
Danny Woodhead Chadron State 1 carry for 5 yards. Injured on the play.
Ben Stallings Delta State 1 for 2.
WR/RB Chad Schroeder Delta State 3 runs for 12, and 10 catches for 88.
James Berezik Grand Valley State 10 for 57 and a touchdown.

Division III
Nate Kmic Mount Union 26 for 113.

Cory Koenig had 21 carries for 259 yards and 4 td's for South Dakota State(1aa) as they beat Cal Poly.
smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
even Mel Kiper took notice of Roehl's performance and the season he's having:

"- One of Saturday's relatively unnoticed mild surprises was the 27-21 victory by Division I-AA's North Dakota State over Minnesota (the Golden Gophers' seventh loss of the season). Junior Tyler Roehl (5-10, 233) was the major headliner for the Bison, finishing with 262 yards rushing on just 22 carries. He also scored a touchdown and caught three passes out of the backfield. Roehl, a compact, strong and tremendously determined runner, has been putting on a show all year. He opened the season with a three-touchdown, 238-yard rushing performance against Stephen F. Austin. In North Dakota's win over Central Michigan, Roehl carried the ball 30 times for 143 yards and three touchdowns, while hauling in six passes. Through the first seven games, Roehl has rushed for 995 yards and is averaging an impressive 7.1 yards per carry."

Roehl got SI player of the week, got a helmet sticker from ESPN and is leading USA Today player of the week with a huge margin!Edited by: backrow

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Without the caste system: Jacob Hester, Owen Schmidt, Luke Lippincot Tyler Roehl and Danny Woodhead would all be day one picks "at HB." (I think they're all draft eligible)

And Kyle Bell would be picked in the 4th-6th round. Kyle just doesn't look the same this year. He would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder in my mind if he was drafted after his '05 campaign. Am I missing anyone?

Jimmy C. I'd like to hear a mock draft from you at some point for white RBs if you were a GM with no such thing as a caste system in place. I know it's early now, but I think this could be a fun thing for us to do on this site; to play GM. I'd much appreciate it since you know so much about college ball.

As we know a lot of the white talent is found in division 1AA and Division II b/c of the biases, so we would have to fairly factor in level of competition. I think we should do this for white WRs also. We could list their ranks and what round they should go in before each NFL draft!

jared

Mentor
I was thinking of doing something like this a little closer to draft time. Seeing how guys do at the Combine and the Senior Bowl can change some things. But if I were a GM, I'd rank the guys in this order:

Owen Schmitt 1st-2nd round as an H-Back
Peyton Hillis 2nd round TB/FB
Danny Woodhead 2nd-3rd round TB
Jacob Hester 3rd round TB
Luke Lippincott 4th-5th round TB
Chad Hall 5th round TB/RET
Tyler Roehl 5th-6th round TB
Adam Ballard 7th round TB

Kyle Bell took a medical redshirt last year and is still a JR. He needs to go back to school.

backrow

Hall of Famer
in reality, i guess we will be lucky if 4 of these guys get picked. Schmitt and Hillis are pretty much locks, Hester is moving up too. i am not sure NFL will allow more than 3-4 white RBs to be drafted in the same year. plus you have to factor in a true fullback Mike Cox, who might get drafted too.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i think jared did a pretty good job with his list, though if it weren't for the Caste System Owen Schmitt would be a power tailback or an old school running fullback. he compares VERY favorably in every way as a better version of a Jerome Bettis/Rudi Johnson type back.

i'd say Danny Woodhead would be a higher rated back because of his phenomenal speed and elusiveness. if his announced 40 times are correct, then only 1 tailback in last year's draft class was faster than him. also, despite his lack of height (which is really unimportant in a tailback) he is well put together and has proven to be incredibly durable. he has questions about his level of competition, but undoubtedly has the tools to be a team's featured back.

Peyton Hillis as a sophomore was a PHENOMENAL physical specimen, but since then the coaching staff at Arkansas has abused his body, both by using him nearly exclusively as a lead blocker and by forcing him to carry excessive weight on his frame. he is a 1st round talent (at least he was), but i would put a medical question mark on him until my team's doctors cleared him.

jared has Chad Hall about where i think he should be. he is a very natural, elusive runner, but he is thin and has a service commitment to Air Force to deal with. but he would make an excellent 3rd down/change of pace back and return man.

Luke Lippincott is a junior who is the regular starter for the first time in his collegiate career and is only playing his second year at tailback since high school (he was recruited as a safetyand spent his first two years at Nevada in the secondary). his productivity, under those circumstances, is phenomenal. he runs and is built very much like Adrian Peterson, and is said to run a 4.55 40 which is plenty fast. but he should return for his senior year to get more exposure/experience.

Tyler Roehl and Cory Koenig are both juniors, and are both talented backs who "have slipped through the cracks" because of their skin color. but their lack of exposure will hurt them, though Roehl gained some notoriety with his performance against Minnesota. their testing at the combine/on campus would give me a better idea of where to put them, but they will both likely return for their senior season's.

i think Kyle Bell won't be normal again until next year. his performance thus far this season is due to not only an abysmal o-line, but also due to the mental/physical recovery not being all the way back to normal yet. next year, i think we will see him return to his dominating performance again.

Jacob Hester, to me, is an enigma. there are times when he looks sluggish, and then sometimes he looks incredibly explosive. i don't think he has the top-end speed of some of the other guys on the list, but like Hillis he is incredibly versatile and strong (a reported 400-plus pound bench press). he is likely a 3-5 round draft pick, if he didn't have white skin at least, and his draft stock would be strongly impacted by his 40 time.

i would like to see an offense run out of the base split-back formation. i think that would really create match-up problems for defenses with these white combo backs, which seems to be what most of these guys are. they can all block, catch, and run, and out of a split-back base set it would be damn near impossible to key on any one player.

another guy i liked the two times i watched him play is Idaho's Jayson Bird. he has fallen out of the rotation for the Vandals, though, and i don't know what is going on with him. but he reminded me a lot of Eddie George when George was at Ohio State.

also, Justin Boyle would be a guy i'd bring in as a free-agent. he's shown flashes of tremendous playmaking ability for the horrid Duke team, though his overall numbers aren't that impressive, and i'd take a look at him.

i would like to visit/test junior Nate Kmic at Mount Union, too. Mount Union has a history of un-earthing NFL-caliber physical talent, even though they play Division III. (i personally remember watching cornerback Chris Kern who was amazing and ran a 4.43, and tailback Dan Pugh who was equally as good running the ball and ran a 4.50). this year, everyone is raving about their receiver, Pierre Garcon, but of course he is black.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
all that being said, in the caste system of the modern NFL, if Schmitt gets drafted it will be as a tight end/H-back. Hillis will be a late second day pick, if he's picked at all. and Hester will fall due to the "emergence" of lesser football players who have "phenomenal" measurables but can't play a lick.

it is unlikely Woodhead will get drafted before the 6th-7th round, simply because he is too pale to "really be any good."

whiteCB

Master
Yeah what is up with Kyle Bell. His YPC average is asbysmal and he actually looked like a lot better player two years ago during his SOPH campaign. I think he's just not fully recovered from his ACL injury. I've heard a lot of guys say, especially, RBs that it does take 2 years to fully recover. Does anyone know if Colo St just has a bad offensive line this year.

Also any updates on how bad Woodhead's injury is?

jared

Mentor
I forgot Lippincott was a JR and just assumed Roehl was one as well. I agree with Jimmy C about Hester, et al. With someone like Schmitt though, I think you have to take account of his size, freakish strength and versatility. I think a smart coach would use him some as a power back, some as a fullback, and some as a TE. Above all, just keep a guy like that on the field as much as possible. I also wonder why more teams aren't employing split-back offenses.
It will be easier to project these guys realistically after the combine. I would like to work with some of the other college football hounds on this site to put together some pre-draft stuff. I think it would be good for castefootball if we could make some eye-catching, unbiased draft literature. I just wish I understood HTML...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good lists guys, thanks for the help. I agree though it's early and combine numbers can really help or hurt a player. White players are especially hurt by bad combine performances. I certainly would like to see what Hillis runs at the combine before evaluating if he's a FB/H-back or a HB.

Here's my list with rounds, as of now, for the guys I know:

I think Owen Schmidt is a late 1st/early 2nd round talent as a HB.
Luke Lippincott- Early 2nd round
Danny Woodhead- Late 2nd round
Jacob Hester- Late 3rd round
Tyler Roehl- Late 3rd round
Justin Boyle- 7th round

And Jared I agree with you on these two guys:
Chad Hall- 5th round TB/RET
Adam Ballard- 7th round TB

So many of our guys fall through the cracks; we should have a list double the size of this every year of white HBs that get draftedEdited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
do you guys even read my posts? quit skimming!
smiley36.gif

Luke Lippincott is a junior...
Tyler Roehl and Cory Koenig are both juniors...

jeez! all that good info, and you skim it!
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
white CB, CSU does have a bad line. I have watched them on TV 3 times this year and they are bad. I do think Kyle isn't back to 100% yet, even though he had a couple of goodgames earlier in the season. He actually did pretty well last week with the carries he had, 4.9 YPC.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Article on Air Force WR/RB Chad Hall. Chad will likely surpass 1,000 yards rushing well before the end of the season if he continues to be the go to man for the Falcons. He already has over 1,000 all purpose yards! If you look at YPC for players who have over 100 carries, Chad, with 7.1, ranks 2nd in the country, and 6th for all rushers! He is 29th in yardage overall.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- New Mexico coach Rocky Long knows his team needs to stop Air Force's Chad Hall.

That's the easy part.

The real head-scratcher for Long and the Lobos (5-2, 2-1) going into Thursday night's Mountain West game against Air Force (6-2, 5-1) is guessing where the do-everything Hall will line up.

"He's the tailback sometimes. He's the reverse guy. He's the pitch guy on options sometimes. He's a wide receiver sometimes. He's the slot sometimes," Long said. "They have a million ways to get him the ball and he's never in the same spot."

For sure.

Hall is the only player in the nation to lead his team in yards rushing (750) and yards receiving (341). He averages 13.7 yards on punt returns. He's had three straight 100-yard rushing performances and at least one catch in every game.

Hall had a school-record 256 yards rushing and scored four touchdowns in a 45-21 win at Colorado State on Oct. 13, then followed with 199 all-purpose yards as Air Force became bowl-eligible in last weekend's 20-12 win over Wyoming.

He also carried 18 times for 169 yards rushing and two TDs in an Oct. 6 victory over UNLV, adding four receptions for 44 yards.

It's a puzzle for New Mexico. Long is known for his frenzied, blitz-crazy schemes but said his defenders must temper their aggressiveness because they'll need to honor Air Force's potent option offense.

So how do the Lobos stop Hall?

"It has to be 11 guys playing their assignments," Long said. "Then when he gets the ball, find him and run him down."

The Falcons are averaging 259.9 yards rushing. New Mexico's defense is giving up just 94.7 yards rushing and hasn't allowed a 100-yard rusher in nine straight games.

As for facing Air Force on a short week, it only makes things tougher.

"We have to cram," New Mexico linebacker Herbert Felder said. "We'd ideally like more time to prepare for them because they're very good at what they do."

First-year Air Force coach Troy Calhoun has installed plenty of new looks that would have been uncharacteristic under former coach Fisher DeBerry. There are pro-set formations, single-back sets and even a stack-I.

"It gives you the impression they no longer run the option," Long said. "Well, the best play they've got is the option, and the triple option is the most difficult one to stop."

Any guess on who's producing most of Air Force's offense? Long noted Hall was getting the ball three to five times during games earlier this season but now touches it 25 to 30 times.

Calhoun said Hall was increasingly worked into each game plan, starting with a 31-20 loss at Navy on Sept. 29.

"We found out as coaches what he could do," Calhoun said. "We've lined him up at receiver, at tailback, some on returns. If you had to mention one thing, you've seen him a little more frequently aligned in the backfield."

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nevada RB Luke Lippincott is ranked 22nd nationally in rushing yardage, and with a 5.9 YPC average, is ranked 30th.

By the way, thanks for filling in for me Jimmy! I appreciate the help. I had a great weekend!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Week 9

Division 1-A
Chad Hall Air Force 21 for 96 and 2 TDs plus 6 catches for 66 and 4 KR for 86
Jim Ollis Air Force 9 for 31 and a TD
Ty Paffett Air Force 2 for 20 and a TD
Todd Newell Air Force 2 for 11
Kip McCarthy Air Force 1 for 2
Peyton Hillis Arkansas 2 for 15
smiley5.gif
plus 6 catches for 77, once again leading the team in receiving by a wide margin
Dual threat QB Dan LeFevour Central Michigan 12 for 75
Kyle Bell Colorado State 5 for 47 plus a 2 yard catch
Justin Boyle Duke 1 for -1 plus 3 catches for 7
Willie Rose Florida Atlantic 6 for 16 plus 5 catches for 23
Isaac Kinter Fresno State 2 catches for 16
Ryan Mathews Fresno State 15 for 49 and a TD
Brannan Southerland Georgia 3 for 3 plus 2 catches for 0 yards and a TD
David Farmer Hawaii 1 for 5 and a 13 yard catch
Dual threat QB Case Keenum Houston 10 for 72 and 2 TDs
Jake Sharp Kansas 14 for 66 plus a 1 yard catch
Brock Bolen Louisville 11 for 52 and a TD plus a 12 yard catch
Adam Ballard Navy 9 for 94 and a TD plus a 5 yard catch
Eric Kettani Navy 16 for 92 and 2 TDs
Luke Lippincott Nevada 27 for 119 and 2 TDs plus 3 catches for 37
Micah Mosley North Texas 4 for 3 plus a 27 yard catch
Matt Sieverson Oregon State 16 for 68
Dan Lawlor Penn State 1 catch for 9
Dual threat QB Chase Clement Rice 11 for 76 and a TD
Dual threat QB Matt Grothe South Florida 25 for 146 and a TD
Owen Marecic Stanford 3 for 6 plus a 7 yard catch
Chane Moline UCLA 4 for 4
Ray Stowers Utah 11 for 114 and a TD plus 1 catch for 15 yards and a TD
Corbin Louks Utah 3 for 6
Jared Hawkins Vanderbilt 10 for 61
Dual threat QB Mackenzi Adams 8 for 47
Josh Zidenberg Virginia 2 catches for 24 yards and a TD plus 2 KR for 31
Carlton Weatherford Virginia Tech 1 for 3 plus a 3 yard catch
Kevin Harris Wake Forest-nill
smiley5.gif

Lucas Caperelli Wake Forest 4 for 7
Dual threat QB Jake Locker Washington game high 23 for 155 and 2 TDs
Owen Schmitt West Virginia 1 for 2 plus 2 catches for 31
smiley5.gif

Division 1-AA
Dual threat QB Kevin Hoyng Dayton 19 for 127 and 2 TDs
Ben Shappie Dayton 22 for 95 and a TD
Cheng Ho Harvard 15 for 114 plus 2 catches for 7, yanling's favorite college RB
Chad Kackert New Hampshire 12 for 52 plus a 52 yard TD catch
Joe Sandberg Penn 9 for 46 and a TD
Nick Cisler Penn 1 for 2 plus 3 catches for 16
Dual threat QB Greg Mroz Princeton 8 for 64 and a TD
Rob Toresco Princeton 7 for 26 plus 3 catches for 18 yards and a TD
R.C. Lagomarsino Princeton 8 for 8
Joe Casey Rhode Island 23 for 105
Jimmy Hughes Rhode Island 20 for 168 and 3 TDs plus a 14 yard catch
JT Rogan San Diego 13 for 43 plus 3 catches for 54 and 5 KR for 91
Cory Koenig South Dakota State 160 yards and a TD
Johnny Sanchez Southern Utah 6 for 11 plus an 11 yard catch

Division II
Danny Woodhead Chadron State DNP
Ben Stallings Delta State 4 for 20 and a TD
WR/RB Chad Schroeder Delta State 5 runs for 47 plus 5 catches for 74
James Berezik Grand Valley State 11 for 100
Blake Smolen Grand Valley State 8 for 83 and a TD plus a 15 yard catch
Jake Machacek St. Cloud State 9 for 17

Division III
Nate Kmic Mount Union 36 carries for 114 yards and 3 TDs
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Saturday stats completed.

whiteCB

Master
Luke Lippincott just continues to tear sh*t up!!!
smiley32.gif

He's now becoming my favorite D1 RB.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Whites in the top 100 in rushing yardage in 1-A.

RB Luke Lippincott-Nevada 21
RB Chad Hall-Air Force 29
QB Stephen McGee-Texas A&M 42
QB Jake Locker-Washington 47
RB Ryan Mathews-Fresno State 66-Hispanic
RB Jake Sharp-Kansas 69
QB Tim Tebow-Florida 80
RB Eric Kettani-Navy 82
QB Matt Grothe-South Florida 85
QB Dan LeFevour-Central Michigan 86
RB Jacob Hester-LSU 87
RB Kyle Bell-Colorado State 88

Here are the whites in the top 100 in Division 1-AA

RB Scott Phaydavong-Drake 9-Asian
RB Tyler Roehl-North Dakota State 12
RB Cory Koenig-South Dakota State 31
RB David Sinisi-Monmouth 33
RB David McCarty-Albany 35
RB Joe Casey-Rhode Island 37
RB Greg Hough-Duquesne 51
RB JT Rogan-San Diego 55
RB Joe Sandberg-Pennsylvania 63
QB Warren Arnold-Valparaiso 65
RB Matt Dicken-Villanova 66
RB Joe Trombetta-UC Davis 77
RB Scott Gray-Butler 80
QB Jonathan Dally-Cal Poly 88
QB Kevin Hoyng-Dayton 94
RB Bryan Fitzgerald-UT Chattanooga 98?
RB Johnny Sanchez-Southern Utah 100

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I know this will probably bug you, but for a thread titled "White RB's" I don't know why asian or hispanics are listed. It is especially frustrating to see an asian at the top of a list which is supposed to be about white RB's.

However I appreciate the effort you put into compiling it--thanks!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well jaxvid, the Caste System exists for them too. Initially, I left them off but decided to include them later. I'm sorry you are offended at seeing an Asian at the top of the list, but in my opinion that is better than seeing a black in his place. Its not like we haven't misclassified whites as being something else on this site before. In my interest in fairness (which is what we seek for white athletes), I have no problem with including them. Ryan Mathews is at least half white anyway, and I believe Phaydavong may be too. So yes, your post does bug me a little bit. I hear too much complaining of this nature on this site by several posters, but find them unwilling to do any of the work themselves. They argue with me over the race of a player or two and ask me to do this and that for them, like they can't do it on their own. What they need to do is quit complaining, get off their lazy arse, and do it themselves! I make no apologies over who I include or omit in my posts.

Appreciate your tireless efforts CR. This isn't a white supremacist site. At least I hope not. It is a site that opposes the unfair "caste" discrimination we see in sports and media. It mostly concerns whites as they are blatantly misrepresented in our favorite sport...football. Make no mistake, kids like T. Chang out of Hawaii get ripped as well.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Well jaxvid, the Caste System exists for them too. Initially, I left them off but decided to include them later. I'm sorry you are offended at seeing an Asian at the top of the list, but in my opinion that is better than seeing a black in his place. Its not like we haven't misclassified whites as being something else on this site before. In my interest in fairness (which is what we seek for white athletes), I have no problem with including them. Ryan Mathews is at least half white anyway, and I believe Phaydavong may be too. So yes, your post does bug me a little bit. I hear too much complaining of this nature on this site by several posters, but find them unwilling to do any of the work themselves. They argue with me over the race of a player or two and ask me to do this and that for them, like they can't do it on their own. What they need to do is quit complaining, get off their lazy arse, and do it themselves! I make no apologies over who I include or omit in my posts.

It's your list so you can put who you want on it, and the work is apreciated, but I don't see why castefootball should care about asians or hispanics. The point of this site is clear, it's to celebrate white athletes not 'non-black' athletes.

As for lazy arse's if you don't want to do the work for your own enjoyment then why do it? No one gets paid here or is forced to do anything. I guess your point is that you don't want any negative comments about your lists. OK