2007 West Virginia Mountaineers

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for the upcoming season.

Offense
FB Owen Schmitt
TE Michael Villagrana
LT Ryan Stanchek
LG Greg Isdaner
C Mike Dent
RG Eric Rodemoyer
RT Jake Figner

Defense
NT Doug Slavonic
MLB Reed Williams

WR Jeremy Bruce has been demoted to a backup this year, but should see the field.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Jeremy Bruce is acknowledged as the fastest, and one of the most versatile players on the team. how can you realistically not find a spot for that kind of talent in your line-up? wow!

and what happened to Owen Schmitt?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Owen is still there and is the starting FB so I'll go on and list him, but it seems the offense is being altered to allow more one back and 3 WR sets, and the FB role is being de-emphasized. Pretty pathetic stuff. No doubt Owen will get some carries this year, but he'll likely be the third in line ball carrier.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
The self-loathing drunk white Mountaineer fans direct their deep-seated rage over their impotence at the team's white kicker after their loss to Pitt:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07340/839624-144.stm

Unbelievable and totally inexcusable. The actions of WVU people vandalizing his car and harassing his girlfriend just are really sad to see. I hope some of these vandals get caught and punished.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
The self-loathing drunk white Mountaineer fansdirect their deep-seated rage over their impotenceat the team's white kicker after their loss to Pitt:

I am always amazed at the hostilities reserved for kickers. It is caused in large part by the comments made by players and pundits. . Just the other day I heard Jurkovicsay on his talk show, " I hate kickers! " Then everyone from ex - jocks to callers jump into the foray, as if attackinga child molestor, or thief. It is acceptable because it is pretty much a white fraternity. Kicking is part of the game. If they don't like or want kickers on the field, petition for rules changes and get rid of them, if they are so geeky and unmanly. By the way, many kickers have played soccer and other sports, and are far more athletic and masculine looking than most fat boobed, lineman who can't run more than five yards without nearly having a heart attack and needing an oxygen cannister.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good one Bart!
smiley32.gif
I agree.

Stonewall

Guru
Steve Slaton gains 11 yards on ten carries and these fans have to blame the kicker for the loss?

Rodriguez has no one to blame for this loss but himself. If Owen Schmitt gets a sufficient amount of carries, WV wins. Give Pitt credit as well, their defense came to play and was very physical. They knocked out White and intimidated Slaton. At that point, you let the men (Owen Schmitt) take over. Rodriguez did not and he'll get a chance to watch Jacob Hester on TVwhile sitting onhis sofa on January 7th.

gsm1988

Stonewall said:
Steve Slaton gains 11 yards on ten carries and these fans have to blame the kicker for the loss?

Rodriguez has no one to blame for this loss but himself. If Owen Schmitt gets a sufficient amount of carries, WV wins. Give Pitt credit as well, their defense came to play and was very physical. They knocked out White and intimidated Slaton. At that point, you let the men (Owen Schmitt) take over. Rodriguez did not and he'll get a chance to watch Jacob Hester on TVwhile sitting onhis sofa on January 7th.

I completely agree. The coaching, combined with a great performance by the Pitt D, cost WVU the game. The kicker is only a scapegoat.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I used to get angry at kickers as a kid until I threw a tantrum over Mike Lantry missing a couple of kicks for the U of Michigan in a classic battle with OSU. Then I found out that Lantry was a 25 year old Vietnam War veteran with a wife and a baby. That meant a lot to me, I knew a lot of kids from the neighborhood that didn't come back or got messed up in that war. If a team needs a kick to win it then they screwed up somewhere else in the game.

gsm1988

jaxvid said:
I used to get angry at kickers as a kid until I threw a tantrum over Mike Lantry missing a couple of kicks for the U of Michigan in a classic battle with OSU. Then I found out that Lantry was a 25 year old Vietnam War veteran with a wife and a baby. That meant a lot to me, I knew a lot of kids from the neighborhood that didn't come back or got messed up in that war. If a team needs a kick to win it then they screwed up somewhere else in the game.

It's kind of hard to not blame the kicker if they miss a game-winning field goal in the last seconds, but I do agree that kickers get way too much of a hard time. One thing that we as fans have to remember about all athletes is that they are just that. They have lives off the field, and people need to realize and respect that fact.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
people who hate kickers don't let the facts interfere with their decisions, apparently.

kicking is THE most difficult thing to do on a football field. if it weren't, then every team would have a good one. but as it is, not even every team in the NFL has a good kicker! hell, there are more good quarterbacks than there are good kickers.

all these idiot announcers and dumbass afaletes who say "he's just a kicker" have obviously never tried to kick even a short field goal. it is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT.

i'm not a kicker, but i've tried it a few times. although i'm a very good athlete, i have no business whatsoever kicking a football. it is tough!

don't let the morons on your tv make up your mind for you. use your brain, and think about what you see/hear. then, you'll be surprised how often you notice dumbass opinion stated as fact.

whiteCB

Master
jaxvid said:

Is the game your talking about during the famous 10 year war?

I can kick 30 yards fairly consistently and 35 yarders ok but once I get to the 40 I have a hard time. Kicking is hard. There's a lot of pressure and combined with the fact the have to concentrate on teh kick while worrying if it gets blocked is tough too.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7909198/Devine-among-play ers-to-plead-no-contest-to-battery?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]

All 4 are black

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) - West Virginia running back Noel Devine was among four Mountaineers' football players to plead no contest to misdemeanor battery charges after being arrested Thursday.

Also arrested were defensive back Eain Smith, 19; cornerback Brantwon Bowser, 20; and running back/receiver Jockee Sanders, 19, the Morgantown Police Department said in a news release.

Each player pleaded no contest in Morgantown Municipal Court, the police department said.

It was not immediately known whether the municipal court assessed any penalties against the players. A telephone message left Thursday night with the municipal court was not immediately returned.

Police said the charges stemmed from an altercation outside Club Z in Morgantown on Feb. 16 but did not provide details.

"Discipline with the situation has already been handled within the program," WVU football coach Bill Stewart said through a spokesman. He said he would have no further comment.

Last month, Stewart dismissed three other players charged with felony possession of marijuana with the intent to deliver.

West Virginia begins spring practice Friday.

Devine, a 20-year-old freshman, capped a stellar first season with West Virginia by running for 108 yards and two touchdowns in a 48-28 victory over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://www.journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/505240.ht ml[/url]

MORGANTOWN â€â€￾ Noel Devine, heir apparent to the No. 1 running back spot for West Virginia, said he welcomes the new competition.

Zach Hulse, a 5-foot-10, 200-pound newcomer from Glendale Community College in Arizona, was added to the original list of 23 recruits. Then earlier this week another running back, Mark Rodgers of Lawndale, Calif., was signed to the binding national letter-of-intent.

"Whoever we can bring in has to make our team better," said Devine, a 5-8, 170-pound sophomore from Fort Myers, Fla. "I love football, and I feel I can do it all. I enjoy catching the ball as well as running with it."

He said sophomore Jock Sanders and junior Michael Poitier, among others, also are working hard as tailbacks in spring practice.

"Everybody is learning from mistakes, and I think the offense is coming together pretty well," he said.

Devine finished third in rushing as a true freshman in 2007, running 73 times for 627 yards and six touchdowns. He backed up junior Steve Slaton, who has made himself available for the NFL draft this year.

---

Veteran quarterback Patrick White didn't think the offense performed as well on Wednesday as it had on Monday. But he hopes it will play better today before some 400 coaches at the annual spring clinic.

"Everybody is still learning the new system," he said. "Mistakes here and there, but we'll get those things fixed. We've got to throw deep to keep the defense honest. But you've also got to run the ball like we have in the past."

White said Jarrett Brown, back from his stint with the basketball team, is throwing the ball well.

But he has a lot of catching up to do on his own because of the new wrinkles offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen has added.

---

Tito Gonzales, a 6-2, 210-pound wide receiver, returns for a fourth season of football, even though he received his bachelor's degree in physical education in December.

"I've only had about four full practices because I've had to leave early for graduate course classes," he said. "But I've felt good, though a little rusty. I'm getting more comfortable in the new stuff, but I need to improve on a lot.

"This being my last go-round, it's bittersweet. But all things must come to an end eventually. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but, hopefully, will go out on top with us generally."

---

Big East officials will work Saturday's first full-scale scrimmage, which will begin at about 12:15 p.m.

That session will carry the Mountaineers past the halfway mark of spring practice.