2007 Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for the Leonard-less Knights.

Offense
QB Mike Teel
FB Jack Corcoran
RG Mike Gilmartin-In a fight for the position
C Ryan Blaszczyk
LG Mike Fladell

Defense
WLB Kevin Malast
SLB Brandon Renkart
DT Pete Tverdov

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Boy, I was just watching the 25 hour ESPN buildup to the LSU-State game and the Ray Rice slobbering has been cranked up to a "hoe nutha levah." As they showed "highlights" of him from last season, you could see the huge blocks he was getting from Brian Leonard that enabled him to "burst through the line undetected." At least the jock sniffers asked Rice if he would mind being moved to FB to block for their young "speedblack" and they said he didn't like that idea, although they said Brian Leonard didn't mind it last year. Hmm.
smiley5.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rice being a bust this season would probably be the best thing that could happen, as far as raising a little more awareness of the Caste System is concerned.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don, you are absolutely right. I have been predicting mch lower production for Rice this year, but the Caste garden tools keep saying he's NFL ready right now and how "Barry Sanders-esque" he is. Pathetic, but I think we will be proven right.

G

Rice was very good last year and should have a great season again. The only concern is his high carry total. But he proved he could take the beating last year.

Rice is a good back, no doubt. I don't hold a grudge against him as he did give Brian Leonard credit the entire season and was not a me first person (though he was iffy about blocking for him). But the one thing that the guest had metioned about carries and durability would have been answered last year if Schinao had let it be a split between the two. This year, he won't have Brian to take the load off of him. He has a virtual clone in backup Kordell Young. The pounding may get to him has everyone knows who is going to get the rock. I don't doubt that he will get over 1,500 yds rushing as the offense is built around him. I really don't wish him bad. But if he has a bad and injury filled year, we will know why.

ray rice looked good in his first game. he is a great player. i think it's foolish to say that rice was only productive because leonard was blocking for him

I still think Rice will produce with or without Leonard because he is a good RB and the offense is built around him, he'll even some Heisman votes. But what I was questioning is the long term pounding on him since everyone knows the ball is going to him.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Defenses will adjust to him and he won't be as productive as last season. Just wait and see.

G

Ray was injured today,and only picked up 175 rushing yards, 40 receiving, and3 more touchdowns. Imagine if he was actually healthy.

PitBull

Guru
That sounds great, until you realize he had almost 40 carries, and they
played against Navy. Wait until the conference games start.

I don't know about that Pitbull...All the Big East defenses other than Cincinnati are getting tore to shreads out there. But I know what you mean. But either way ANYONE who gets 40 carries will be feeling it and need some extra icepacks if they are lucky. Everyone knows he's getting the rock. They better give Cochoran and Young more touches or else he will really get hurt.Edited by: mrjohnnynofear

G

His last 9touches were after Rutgers was up41-17, and they were using him to run down the clock.His gains were 1 yard, 3, -1, 6, 7, 2, 1, 6, and 2. Navy knew he was getting the ball at that point, and Rutgerswasn't trying tostretch the field.

It is a little odd that they didn't use the other guys, though.Edited by: Hook Em Horns

PitBull

Guru
The only armed service academy that sports a decent program most years is
the Air Force. Everybody knows the first 2-3 games for conference teams
are against cream puffs. Wait until the conference starts. If he can keep it
up, then I'll believe it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, they play a decent team and Rice's numbers fall dramatically. I told you! 21 for 97 and a late TD, plus 4 catches for 36. Not bad numbers, but not the "spectacular back" numbers he is supposed to get all the time. No mention of Rice at all, only Lance Ball's TD.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Nice to see Rutgers lose one...and now tomorrow its time to let Leonard show his skills.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here is an excerpt from an article by Keith Sargeant of Asbury Park Press. Dare I say I told you so, just like last week's Kentucky game, I'm just that good!
smiley32.gif
smiley36.gif

Rutgers (3-2, 0-1 Big East) is missing two key starters from one of the nation's top lines last season, and the fullback and tight end positions integral spots in the offense's success in recent years have combined to contribute six receptions for 38 yards in five games.

"Cam Stephenson, Darnell Stapleton and Brian Leonard they were all exceptional college players if they're on NFL rosters," Schiano said of last season's starting right guard, center and fullback, respectively. "That was a significant loss, but we said that from the beginning. You have two redshirt sophomores starting at the guard and center position, and then you go up against two stout defensive lines like we faced the last two weeks. Sometimes that can give you trouble."

"They (the Bearcats) did everything they could to take away the run, and I think that allowed for us to get significant yardage in the passing game," the coach added. "Ray had 90-something yards, but we're not really far from that being a 150 yards. We had six or eight ankle tackles or Ray's spilling out for another 15 yards. He's made those runs in the past, but we haven't lately. So are we not holding blocks as long as we have in past? I don't know, but we're studying everything."

Plain Rice

Rice was held below 100 yards for the third consecutive game, the first time that's happened since the first three contests during his freshman campaign.

"My number's getting called," the 5-foot-9, 205-pound junior said after the loss. "I really don't know what's going on. I don't even know my stats for this game."

Rice, who ran for 94 yards on 34 carries against a Bearcats rush defense that ranks 13th nationally, has averaged 87.7 yards on 22.3 carries over his three-game slide.

"Teams are putting nine in the box," Rice said. "Sometimes it's hard to get started. I don't consider it hard running. I'm just doing my job out there. We played against a tough defense."

Rice's slump coupled with Rutgers' two-game slide has all but eliminated his Heisman Trophy chances. But Rice, like he's done all season, emphasized the need to improve his team's performance before his own.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
"Rice's slump coupled with Rutgers' two-game slide has all but eliminated his Heisman Trophy chances. But Rice, like he's done all season, emphasized the need to improve his team's performance before his own. "

So aiming blame away from yourself and not being accountable is the way to go?
smiley11.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
from draftdaddy:

"Highly regarded Rutgers University redshirt Joe Martinek could be the next Brian Leonard.

DD.comment: Glad to see Schiano is giving this kid a shot at running back, which is his natural position. Word out of Jersey last year was Martinek would likely be bulked up and moved to linebacker, which made zero sense to us, considering how good of a high school tailback he was. Also, at about 5' 11" and 200 pounds, Martinek should be better suited to play running back at the next level (unless he has an unexpected growth spurt)."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I remember a lot of talk about Joe not long after I first found Caste Football. I am glad to see that he may indeed get to run the ball at Rutgers. Maybe he will take over Rice's spot when his career is over. Then I will have a reason to watch Rutgers games again, other than to say "I told you so."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7886160/Schiano-suspends- DT-Francis-after-arrest?FSO2&ATT=MA [/url]

JUSTINFRANCISNIKE150.JPG

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) - Rutgers defensive tackle Justin Francis was suspended Friday after being arrested a day earlier.

Francis, of Miramar, Fla., was arrested Thursday, said coach Greg Schiano, who refused to give any details about the arrest or whether the sophomore had been released.

"Unfortunately, Justin got arrested yesterday," Schiano said at the end of his spring press conference. "It hasn't been released, but I know it and I want to let (reporters) know it. I don't have a ton of information, but I'm going to let the legal system, as I usually do, run its course and comment on it then."

Francis played in seven games and made seven tackles as a freshman last season. He was expected to compete for the starting job.